Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Gran Trak 2010  (Read 24294 times)

rockyrocket

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2019, 02:13:03 pm
Gran Trak 2010
« on: June 29, 2013, 03:25:14 am »
So I have been planning on doing a driving cab for a while now but really procrastinating about starting it as the paint scheme just has too many possibilities.
I could not decide on a bat mobile scheme or a general lee theme or a kitt theme (even bought a larsen scanner) or British racing green etc.
But seeing as the shape is based on a gran track 10 I think that maybe it will have that kind of graphic but in white and red.
I always knew the shape I wanted and as I have almost run out of room and am a fan of the cabaret form factor this is the size chosen (its 59" high by 20.5" wide) with the intension being to sit at a barstool to play.
Also while we are at it the name was also a point of indecision is it Pythagoras steer-em or maybe even minni driver (I know), but really it has to be gran trak 2010 I think.
So with a week off work coming up it was decided that I will start it with the aim off getting to the point of the primer going on, then the plan is too take a long time over the final paint job.

I had already made the control panel from plexy and mounted the wheel, a not very expensive logitech but no I will not be fitting a shifter preferring to use the paddle shifters instead.
The plexi control panel offers some choices aswell from just spraying the underside to maybe printing a cpo and backlighting it or even having a marquee on the lower 45deg panel.
Also the foot pedals were chopped down as much as possible without breaking one of the pots.
Ive not gone for t-molding instead  choosing to use a roundover bit to make it a bit sleeker,this may well be a decision to regret come paint time.

As I plan to play some more modern titles I have gone for a decased 22" 16:10 screen that sits in a pocket to give about 2-3mm of bezel at the sides.
One other idea is to maybe put a wiimote or ps3 cam in for freetrack but that's undecided yet, but as I already have it set up on another box I will test it out before deciding - am thinking grid is the best testbed.
I do not have a spare pc at the moment so may dual boot one of the other cabs and using a dvi switch make this cab just a slave but yet again thats undecided.

So I guess that maybe the theme here is that I can build a cab a damn sight quicker than I can make decisions - maybe I was a bit premature in starting this one but hey i`m started now right?.
So next up is primer then my first experiments with hydro dipping some of the hardware.

rockyrocket

• Offline Offline
Re: Gran Trak 2010
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2013, 03:28:58 am »
One other thing I did this past week was make a table that my crappy old saw sits in then made a cross cut sled, and wow my productivity has increased!.

Superfrog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 28, 2022, 10:39:08 am
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2013, 04:33:29 am »
You did a fine job with the design of the cabinet  :applaud:

It's good to see that you are working the same as I do... In my head it's almost ready, and you can't wait to start on this thing.
You see that on all the fine details you made with this build.

Take time with your paintjob for the best result.

Keep an ye on it  :cheers:

Typefighter01

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 29, 2023, 09:10:21 pm
  • Back I guess...
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2013, 05:56:12 am »
Just love the shape and scale of this cab  :applaud:

Azure

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2013, 08:27:35 pm
  • I want a candy cab:p
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2013, 06:52:10 am »
I love cabarets. Having limited space allows one to have his cake and eat it too. I notice that you used plexi in this and the Tempest build for your CP. I'm looking to use this in my (future)build. What thickness would you recommend?
Wishlist: Sega Swing (really want), Sanwa/Seimitsu sticks and buttons, MVS carts, IREM PCBs

Louis Tully

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2015, 09:41:03 pm
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2013, 06:53:41 am »
« Last Edit: February 12, 2015, 03:49:05 pm by Louis Tully »

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:41:11 pm
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2013, 08:38:09 am »
Wow, very sexy!  :cheers:

rockyrocket

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2013, 12:58:18 pm »
Thanks guys!.
II notice that you used plexi in this and the Tempest build for your CP. I'm looking to use this in my (future)build. What thickness would you recommend?
Yeah I love the stuff, so for this one its 6mm but depending on if you are going to screw joys into it then 8 - 10mm is my suggestion you dont need big screws as you can bond your controls on with epoxy.

So today was my first foray into hydro dipping and man is it a PITA its like trying to work with algae and I had many failed attempts.
It remains to be seen how it looks dry and with a coat of clear so we shall see.
This is just one more of those things that look much easier on youtube than are in reality.
Anyway the coin door was stripped with synstrip then had a coat of clear then a dip - just hope it dries nice and flat.

rockyrocket

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2013, 12:34:27 pm »
So after lots of sanding its now time to think about making some stencils.
Luckily bristol has a strong street art heritage so I can buy some damn cool paint colours in rattle cans over the counter locally.
I am fairly happy with the outcome of the paint finish, but have to say the rounded over edges are easy to dink and are getting some marks but nothing that can not be fixed.
The coin door is not going to stay with its carbon dipped effect but is getting polished as best I can do as its not stainless.
Also the glass fits properly in its channel so the whole thing is slowly coming together :) .

Shiny

dandro

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 20, 2014, 12:32:46 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
    • Link To project
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2013, 01:14:17 pm »
this is very cool!!! cannot wait to see this come along...

Rick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 01:16:55 pm
  • Bartop, Cocktail and Pinball Arcade Cabinets
    • Gameroom Designs Canada
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2013, 01:19:51 pm »
This looks amazing!!! As I'm also going to be painting over MDF, I'd love to hear more on the process you went through to get such a beautiful result.

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 01:18:39 pm
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2013, 01:33:09 pm »
had no idea about the hydro dip thing.  what you did looks great.  I'm going to look at those dip kits.

very cool cab shape and size- good design. 

rockyrocket

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2013, 01:56:11 pm »
This looks amazing!!! As I'm also going to be painting over MDF, I'd love to hear more on the process you went through to get such a beautiful result.
Thanks - everything you could want to know about paint you can learn from the masters video`s found here.
But in essence I rollered on a water based primer - sanded it, then used two coats of This filler primer sanded again between coats, finally used three coats of auto paint wet sanding with 1500grit then 2500grit.

@TopJimmy  -  thanks, I just can not seem to get my method right, the film seems to not dissolve the way it does in the vids - water temp is fine so IDK?.
But yes it is a very cool treatment if you have it dialed, originally I was going to use this skull pattern on the build.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2024, 04:55:07 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2013, 02:10:55 pm »
Dude, I love your builds.  Great fun to watch, keep it coming!

rockyrocket

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2013, 02:44:14 pm »
Dude, I love your builds.  Great fun to watch, keep it coming!
He he thanks - likewise,
So I am at a bit of a quandary now as to just get on with stenciling the livery or to clear it for protection then stencil on top and clear at the end?.
If I clear now  then that gives more time to procrastinate on design :) .
One thing I do have is This tape to cheat at pinstriping - also am thinking of getting an airbrush as I have always wanted one.
One other thing I forgot to say earlier was that even though the coin door was cleared it still gained some rust spots from the dipping - hence its removal >:( .
Have decided to spray the underside of the CP instead of using an overlay as it should have a nice glossy outcome as long as the paint adhears to the plexy ok (maybe scuff it a bit).
This is probably going to be the slowest build ever for me, but hey whats the rush right!.
Edit - meant to say that I also covet this paint effect..
« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 03:46:23 pm by rockyrocket »

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2013, 07:55:14 pm »
Thanks - everything you could want to know about paint you can learn from the masters video`s found here.

You just had to know, didn't you. I was interested to find out whether you had some new and wonderful process, and lo and behold, you were using Ond's tried and true methods all along.

But in essence I rollered on a water based primer - sanded it, then used two coats of This filler primer sanded again between coats, finally used three coats of auto paint wet sanding with 1500grit then 2500grit.

Sweet deal. And dammit, yet another fantastic build I have to try and measure up to.

:D

Keep on keeping on!

rockyrocket

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2013, 12:01:13 am »

You just had to know, didn't you. I was interested to find out whether you had some new and wonderful process, and lo and behold, you were using Ond's tried and true methods all along.

Sweet deal. And dammit, yet another fantastic build I have to try and measure up to.

:D

Keep on keeping on!

Will do :) ,
the only thing OND uses that I do not is swirlx I use This paint renovator - not because its better its just that I have some already.
The good thing about this stuff is it has no wax or silicone so can be painted over - in the shots above I have not yet applied it as I want the paint to cure a bit first.

sabreerbasAlpha

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2017, 07:28:29 pm
  • Remember those big 10ps?
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2013, 12:47:07 pm »
What a very nice finish on that wood. Don't play it down my friend, that must have taken a lot of prep work and sanding. Very nice rockyrocket...

rockyrocket

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2013, 01:47:37 pm »
Ok so I admit that I have been more than a bit indecisive about the final paint scheme mostly because no one ideal won over the others.
But finally I now know what I want, its just that its not got much to do with driving  :banghead: .
So basically I am going for a portal/oblivion white futuristic look - that just happens to have a steering wheel sticking out the front :dizzy: .
Anyway apologies to anyone offended but its what I want.

On a practical front the text and weyland logo are being lasered onto mylar for a stencil as we speak, and I also have some plastic dye on the way for the steering wheel.
The image below is just to give an idea of the colour scheme, and it may end up looking too NIB so may get some weathering to tone it down a bit
So what do you think like it or hate it?.

rockyrocket

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2013, 12:48:06 pm »
Got a bit further with paint, so here are some bad quality phone shots of my progress
Still a bit of clean up to do on some bits of blow-out on the lettering but its coming along.

Superfrog

• Offline Offline
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2013, 03:12:18 pm »
I'm a painter myself, but that's a outstanding paintjob you did there  :applaud:

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:41:59 am
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2013, 03:47:21 pm »
That is friggin' awesome!

I'm not a fan of standup driving cabs, but the fact that it is a cabaret makes it cool.

rockyrocket

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: August 07, 2013, 05:02:03 pm »
Thanks guys you are too kind!.
@Badmouth the plan is to sit on a barstool to play as I could not get the pedals low enough to not feel like you are standing on one leg due to the caster being in the way.
So now I need to make two decisions one is to either leave the sides nice and simple as is - or to fill the blank space above the text?.
The other is to leave the coin door polished or to paint it grey to match the sides?, any feedback is welcome.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2013, 10:00:29 am »
So now I need to make two decisions one is to either leave the sides nice and simple as is - or to fill the blank space above the text?.
The other is to leave the coin door polished or to paint it grey to match the sides?, any feedback is welcome.

I think it would look good with a simple old school indy car above the text.  I can see the image from some old racing game in my head, but can't for the life of me remember which game it is or find it online.  A simple outline might look good, either above the text or on the grey stripe.

I think black coin doors make it look more like a genuine arcade game.

That's just my $.02
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 10:04:59 am by BadMouth »

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2013, 01:16:01 pm »
I think it would look good with a simple old school indy car above the text.  I can see the image from some old racing game in my head, but can't for the life of me remember which game it is or find it online.

Is it this?

Or possibly this?

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: August 09, 2013, 01:23:05 pm »
I think it would look good with a simple old school indy car above the text.  I can see the image from some old racing game in my head, but can't for the life of me remember which game it is or find it online.

Is it this?
Or possibly this?

Nah, it was a rip-off of the square on the side of a pole position cab but only had one car, which was red and slightly cartoony (like early shmup artwork).
I could be remembering a mobile phone game icon or who knows what else.  I wouldn't put much effort in trying to figure it out. 
It might only exist in my head .

rockyrocket

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: August 09, 2013, 02:06:45 pm »
You may be onto something with a simple graphic on the grey line though, maybe a top down view of a car?.
Here is a shot showing a dry fit with the stripped coin door and painted CP, you also get a sense of scale next to my taito.
I promise some better quality shots when its a bit more deserving, still more paint corrections to do first.

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #27 on: August 09, 2013, 02:55:08 pm »
This is a great looking project! I personally prefer the sit-down cabs, but I wouldn't mind a cab like this!

Lately you all have been making me want a driving cab!  :applaud:  :cheers:

Minwah

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2019, 05:03:20 am
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #28 on: August 12, 2013, 07:14:49 am »
This looks great, well done!

I would usually go with black coin door but I think it looks pretty good just polished.

How about a graphic something like the Super Sprint art...but maybe just one car:

http://arcadeartlibrary.com/arcade_art/data/thumbnails/5/SuperSprint_Left.jpg

rockyrocket

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: August 12, 2013, 10:55:25 am »
Hi Minwah!.
Yeah still undecided on the graphic, had a look for a top down view of a car blueprint but as yet have not found anything that grabs me.
I made the attached vector from an image on the web but honestly am thinking less is more - however I now own a airbrush so may play with that for a bit then revisit the graphic once I know exactly what I am able to do with it.

Superfrog

• Offline Offline
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #30 on: August 12, 2013, 12:20:16 pm »
What if you drop the car picture and use some burning rubber stripes?
Car logo is not in style of this beautiful cabinet  :cheers:

I think, when you taking a car picture , it's better suite to a dedicated theme
With the burning rubber stripes it gives you a better random look.
Play with it .. big rubber stripes on the side from top to bottom or diagonal ... lots of options .

Greetings

rockyrocket

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2013, 12:45:44 pm »
Still painting this, and well I think I may of got carried away as the back has had some detail added :) .
Yep I know no one will see it, so it can be our secret.
More little bits to touch up and a tad more sanding but its fun for me and thats what its all about eh?.
Loving not having t-molding on this and being able to paint around the edges too.

jackiabu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 04, 2020, 02:55:25 pm
    • http://jackiabu.blogspot.com/
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2013, 02:24:56 pm »
A  beauty  :applaud:

a dream art design :cheers:

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2013, 04:03:28 pm »
I agree, great design aesthetics going on here!  :applaud:

Rick

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2013, 05:45:55 pm »
Still painting this, and well I think I may of got carried away as the back has had some detail added :) . Yep I know no one will see it, so it can be our secret.

+1 for detailing the back of your cab. I've done the same, so if mine even looks half as nice, I'll consider it a job well done.

Looks amazing, sir!

Nephasth

« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2013, 06:18:34 pm »
Building better worlds?

This looks tits! Keep up the good work! :applaud:

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2024, 04:55:07 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2013, 06:19:52 pm »
Gorgeous.  I would love to have that in my collection.  Bravo!

ppv

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2020, 03:08:56 pm
  • The cheap@ss gamer
Re: Re: Gran Trak 2010
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2013, 07:48:30 pm »
Awesome! The attention to details and the purity of the lines makes this really shine!

It does feel 'racing cab' to me.
Doing arcades, the cheap@ss way!
First Project : ttp://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,151071.0.html
Next one : The Token Muncher [urlhttp://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,135417.0.html[/url]

talkgeek

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2024, 02:30:46 am
  • Every day you wake up breathing is a GOOD day!
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2013, 08:17:06 pm »
Love the shape of the cab, and the level of detail and cleanness of the graphics - definitely on my project watch list / possible project emulation if my cabinetry skills ever get good enough

Well done  :applaud:
Currently building http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137777.0.html Mass-Replicate
Built "n0tsq3" cocktail cab http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,133913.0/all.html
..and restoring a Sega MegaLo 410 Candy Cab & Moon Patrol Cab

severdhed

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2022, 04:45:32 pm
  • RIP Dinosaur Hippo
« Reply #39 on: August 23, 2013, 01:00:59 pm »
Simply amazing

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 4

Current Projects:      Zak-Man | TMNT Pedestal | SNES Pi | N64 Odroid
Former Projects:     4 Player Showcase | Donkey Kong | iCade