Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Pirate's Arcade - updated Control Panel Progress  (Read 38367 times)

dandro

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 20, 2014, 12:32:46 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
    • Link To project
Pirate's Arcade - updated Control Panel Progress
« on: February 27, 2013, 04:26:03 pm »
Hello, my name is Dan.. After coming across a free 29" arcade monitor, that needed some minor work, figured might as well build a cab for it. Basically, I am one of those fools who decide to build a cabinet on pretty much no budget, with half ass wife approval  >:D and the kids cheering you on for motivation  ;D

Here is the monitor connected up to the dedicated Invasions PCB (I have since worked on the color levels and got the display perfect as the white was washed out when taking this picture)

Like most arcade builds, one has to have a theme in mind on where they want this to go, so here is the artwork I created thus far for the Marquee:

Here is where I am at now:

I just received the slot bit in order to do the t-molding groove. I am a bit nervous on this one as the blade I received: 3-wing, .062" (1/16") Slotting Cutter, Whiteside# 6700A
cuts through the 3/4" MDF like it isn't even there, so worried about rocking the router one way or another. I have had that bit now for a week and keep putting it off, it would be a $40 boo boo.

I keep going back and forth in regards to the coin box. I would love to see an over/under installed, but again, the $$ just isn't there and easy enough to add when it is. I am awaiting this weekend to pickup the final sheet of MDF needed to button the wood portion up (front/back). PC is pretty much ready to go, which is a WinXP 64 bit, 8 GB RAM, Core 2 Duo  spare I had, so no extra cost there.

I'll be updating the post as I keep tinkering and changing things up on the fly, which means plenty of standing around drinking beer, thinking of ways to do things. Since I have 2 kids, 3 and 7 I don't get dedicated time on it, so work on it as I can.

Here is a pic of the garage it will be going in:

« Last Edit: July 14, 2013, 01:54:18 pm by dandro »

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:41:59 am
Re: New Member and new build
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 04:32:46 pm »
Looks like a good start.  You may want to trim back the braces behind the marquee so they don't cast shadows on the front.

Cool fridge.  Those old ones run forever.

dandro

• Offline Offline
    • Link To project
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 05:01:41 pm »
good point on the trimming! I was looking at that, wondering myself how that will probably be a dark spot on each corners. It's sort of seems like you have to have most of the stuff to fit and feel everything.... but still fun build none the less!

Fridge is a beast! can cool  fully loaded shelves pretty quick.

Dalgaard

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 05, 2015, 01:42:14 pm
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 05:03:20 pm »
Great start :) Awesome garage...I wish I had a place like that. My cab is in my daughters room :(

dandro

• Offline Offline
    • Link To project
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 05:07:06 pm »
Thanks, one lesson learned on putting down the garage epoxy flooring: don't do it on a 102 degree day.. When I started the painting process it was 10:00am and 89 degrees, it setup too fast and caused the lines, but when you are moving in and need to get it down before the boxes arrive, you do what you have to do!  :-\

maffewl

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 05, 2020, 03:11:44 pm
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 05:09:51 pm »
You could cut/trim the nailing strips behind the marquee or just route out a piece to hold the marquee (this is what I did seen in construction here http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=128354.0;attach=272544;image and somewhat finished here http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=128354.0;attach=276549;image)

Personally, I like the routing more because it gives a more "finished" edge look with a slight curve bevel, and I also didn't want screws showing or a different material such as plastic or metal.  However, the way most do it on here looks pretty slick as well.

Best of luck with your build and welcome to the fun!

And cheers to the Stroh's  :cheers:
« Last Edit: February 27, 2013, 05:12:25 pm by maffewl »

dandro

• Offline Offline
    • Link To project
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 05:14:08 pm »
I found a great piece of metal trim at Home Depot the other day, it's called "Bar Nose Trim". It's aluminum and sold in 8' lengths for $8.50. I plan on using that for the Marquee retainer. Just have to spray it black, but plan on routing the edge flush, so it's not just stuck on top of the wood. Oh wait, dammit, is that another router bit to purchase?!? LOL *sigh* time to go to the store and buy a $25 gallon of milk, $4.99 for the milk and $20 cash back  >:D

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 28, 2024, 11:14:17 am
  • Rock and Roll!
Re: New Member and new build - Pirates of the Arcade
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2013, 07:26:56 pm »
Do yuo park in that garage, or is that space for pool table/skeebal/arcade machines/air hockey?

dandro

• Offline Offline
    • Link To project
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 09:04:08 am »
We park the wifes Acura TL in the garage.

KnightofTruth

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 21, 2013, 12:51:58 am
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 09:15:41 am »
Awesome start, and looking forward to how the theme comes out - not sure if you've given any thought to the CP, but there's a picture I found (perhaps from someone on here) that really inspired me to do a similar themed cab - I'll attach it here in case it helps, and my apologies for not knowing the original author.

In case you were wondering, I have not used the theme idea yet, but its in my top 5 at the moment (gotta whittle it down to just 1 idea soon though).

Keep us posted and we'll keep cheering you on!

dandro

• Offline Offline
    • Link To project
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 09:20:41 am »
Thanks, that is a cool CP theme for sure. I have thought about it and have seen many varieties. It's def. a work in progress. I do however keep doubting stuff because I know the pictures done up in the software are correct dimensions, but the printer I have here, HP T1200 HD plotter, still spits the print jobs out real small...  :banghead: Makes me wonder if the dimensions are true. I am using GIMP as the editor.

dandro

• Offline Offline
    • Link To project
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2013, 11:04:30 am »
Awesome start, and looking forward to how the theme comes out - not sure if you've given any thought to the CP, but there's a picture I found (perhaps from someone on here) that really inspired me to do a similar themed cab - I'll attach it here in case it helps, and my apologies for not knowing the original author.

In case you were wondering, I have not used the theme idea yet, but its in my top 5 at the moment (gotta whittle it down to just 1 idea soon though).

Keep us posted and we'll keep cheering you on!

What I would REALLY LOVE is to design a CP, incooperating the turning chart map, but cannot for the life of me find a suitable, high quality image of it.

This:
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 11:06:59 am by dandro »

nipsmg

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:38:35 am
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 03:07:41 pm
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2013, 02:11:51 pm »

dandro

• Offline Offline
    • Link To project
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2013, 02:18:47 pm »
Or, the whole map recreated in VERY high res:

http://www.farscapeprops.com/potc/Finished%20map.jpg

http://www.therpf.com/f9/build-potc-map-mao-kun-charts-138980/index2.html

You are a ROCKSTAR!!! thank you, exactly what I was looking for! Thank you

dandro

• Offline Offline
    • Link To project
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2013, 09:28:09 am »
worked on the project some more this weekend for a few hours:

Worked a bit on the speaker shelf. I used the speaker assembly off of a Marantz DAVED unit (http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Itx3y6wevxm/p_642ZR6001S/Marantz-ZR6001SP.html). I got the remote unit free as brand new, but since it needs a head unit to function, was only worth the parts.

Back end, or top:

Grabbed some of Home Depot's best quality paint, which was BEHR Premium, Black Enamel plus primer. Using the best foam roller, I think the first coat looks spectacular!

Printed off some of the artwork on HP Photo Paper, using the HD plotter and mocked up what I have so far.. Unfortunately, when I turned my back the plexi slid off and hit right on the corner. It must have hit right on the spot the caused it to break, you know that ONE and ONLY spot, where it never happens, in a million years!!! that spot.. meh.  :banghead:

Ran out of time and funds are being redirected this week to the wifes birthday present.. She wants a rear spoiler for her car. 2008 Acura TL, she wants the Type-S spoiler for it, so I'll order that up and install that for her.  ;D  Keep the wife happy! Also my 7 year olds birthday is this weekend, turning 8, so will be busy with that.

Until then, I'll order some 3/4" black tmolding and some a Nova Matrix marquee setup from GGG.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 09:41:20 am by dandro »

dandro

• Offline Offline
    • Link To project
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2013, 09:52:38 am »
Ohhh,.. and by the way, I think routing that Tmolding slot, was about the most stressful thing I have yet to do with this whole project.. I starred at that router for 30 minutes, had a beer and starred some more before tackling it.... I had minor oops, but luckily it was on the backside..  Glad that is over with!!!! LOL  :applaud:

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2013, 10:21:24 am »

You are a ROCKSTAR!!! thank you, exactly what I was looking for! Thank you

NP.  I like the theme idea and happened to be bored. :)

dandro

• Offline Offline
    • Link To project
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2013, 08:56:49 am »
Got an hour or less in last night in regards to the keyboard. Rack mountable keyboard/touchpad combo.

Made some cuts to the back of the CP, forgetting that I have a cable management tray to attach,.. DOH! :o

Better. I'll have to clean up the sloppy cut job in the back, got in a hurry to see if it would work or not. The cable tray is crucial for cable management so nothing will get crimped as the drawer slides in and out.

view from behind. This particular assembly can either be installed with PS2 or USB, I have cables for both.

weird angle for the camera, I was trying to balance the control panel while the keyboard was slid out, it wanted to fall.. LOL. I assure you, the keyboard comes out straight and centered  ;D

vanrose72

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 25, 2018, 11:19:32 am
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2013, 09:04:05 am »
Basically, I am one of those fools who decide to build a cabinet on pretty much no budget, with half ass wife approval  >:D and the kids cheering you on for motivation  ;D

That's me, too, in a nutshell. Hahaha! Had to laugh out loud when I read this.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:58:34 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2013, 01:11:12 am »
Grabbed some of Home Depot's best quality paint, which was BEHR Premium, Black Enamel plus primer. Using the best foam roller, I think the first coat looks spectacular!

That paint job looks beautiful, my friend. What finish is that? Flat? Semi-Gloss? Satin?
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

dandro

• Offline Offline
    • Link To project
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2013, 09:08:20 am »
Thank you Yotsuya, it's a flat enamel, I'll take a look at the can and take a picture of the codes, etc when I get home this afternoon.. But basically I told the gentlemen at the counter what I was doing (you get a ton of funny looks when you start off a conversation with "I am building an arcade") and he said "you want an enamel based paint!". The roller is key I believe,  I got a 6", 1/2 nap roller, best one they had which is shed resistant. All in all, it cost me about $50 out the door for 1 gallon of paint and rollers/tray and haven't put a dent in that gallon.

dandro

• Offline Offline
    • Link To project
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2013, 09:16:01 am »
Question in regards to Bezel / glass: I cut out a large piece of cardboard last night just to see what I am up against for a bezel, it seems there may be about 1/2" from bezel to glass when said and done. I am open to suggestions on this one. I haven't purchased anything yet because I keep going back and forth on a plastic based glass or glass. Lowes (home improvement store) sells a sheet of glass that would fit perfectly for $8.88, I could tint that myself. Tap Plastics could cut a sheet of solar grey for about $45, but that's Acrylic. I keep reading how some people are reporting that while cleaning it can get all scratched up.. They sell polycarbonate, but cha-ching!!! like $70..... So again, on a budget I was thinking of going with that sheet of glass, self tinting it and using something like black, poster board to make a bezel?? Maybe no bezel is needed with tint?

maffewl

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2013, 09:19:50 am »
Glass all the way.  You are lucky that Lowe's has a piece ready to fit.  I got mine cut by a local glass shop (still only cost about $50) but it is smoke and tempered which I am extremely happy with.  Not to mention, it supported a local business.  For the bezel, I just painted the back of it black, and I love the look of it.

dandro

• Offline Offline
    • Link To project
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2013, 09:30:39 am »
oh yeah, I forgot to mention that one, about painting the back of the glass, that came across my mind as well... seems that it could be a nice touch! Is the technique still painting it black, then shooting silver over that to prevent light? Appreciate the feedback!

dandro

• Offline Offline
    • Link To project
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2013, 10:12:27 am »
With that being said, today is payday, I now have about $90 for the next two weeks to buy parts... Holy crap, where to begin,...

I need the following that I know of and don't have a clue on which order to get them in:

1.) JPAC Received
2.) Jamma Harness on order from Paradise Arcade
3.) Buttons & Sticks
4.) 3/4", black tmolding
5.) Monitor Glass
6.) Nova Matrix Marquee LED
7.) Coin Door (still in the air about this for the immediate future as I can't find one in my meager budget)
8.) Marquee printing and plexi
9.) everything else I forgot
« Last Edit: March 13, 2013, 02:52:44 pm by dandro »

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2013, 10:17:47 am »
With that being said, today is payday, I now have about $90 for the next two weeks to buy parts... Holy crap, where to begin,...

I need the following that I know of and don't have a clue on which order to get them in:

1.) JPAC
2.) Jamma Harness
3.) Buttons & Sticks
4.) 3/4", black tmolding
5.) Monitor Glass
7.) Coin Door (still in the air about this for the immediate future as I can't find one in my meager budget)

For t-molding, expecially if you are going the simple route, try www.gamemolding.com. Preston is a member here, he ships fast, and his prices are good.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 10:44:49 am by yotsuya »

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2013, 10:32:20 am »
+1 Preston is the bomb.  He was out of leather t-molding, but scrounged up enough remnants to keep my project going forward and it was here in a flash!  t-molding.com is in Connecticut.  Me and Ct don't get along.

AJ

dandro

• Offline Offline
    • Link To project
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2013, 10:37:24 am »
I actually got an email from Preston yesterday afternoon, will DEF be ordering from him!  :)

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2013, 10:55:25 am »
Not sure why my post didn't take, but here's another crack at it. 

Don't be afraid of used.  The Blue Pill has used iPac-4, Optipac, joysticks and trackball.  Fistful of quarters rocks a used iPac-2 that I got for 1/2 price.  So, there's some savings there.  Just withhold any feedback on ebay until you've fully tested the unit and get in writing that if it's defective you can return it.

The coin door on The Blue Pill was also an ebay find.  I paid $5 for it and it was a rusty mess.  Some rustoleum and rust converter, a little hard work and it looks like new. 

AJ

1.) JPAC
2.) Jamma Harness
3.) Buttons & Sticks
4.) 3/4", black tmolding
5.) Monitor Glass

maffewl

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2013, 01:34:16 pm »
oh yeah, I forgot to mention that one, about painting the back of the glass, that came across my mind as well... seems that it could be a nice touch! Is the technique still painting it black, then shooting silver over that to prevent light? Appreciate the feedback!

I just taped it off and painted it black with a standard roller and a couple coats.  Then used an exacto knife to make straight edges just in case it was too thick for the tape.  No light comes through and I think it has a very clean look.  Here's a pic of what mine turned out like.  http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=128354.0;attach=276549;image

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2013, 01:51:44 pm »
How big's that cab?

AJ

I just taped it off and painted it black with a standard roller and a couple coats.  Then used an exacto knife to make straight edges just in case it was too thick for the tape.  No light comes through and I think it has a very clean look.  Here's a pic of what mine turned out like.  http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=128354.0;attach=276549;image

dandro

• Offline Offline
    • Link To project
« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2013, 01:55:58 pm »
Cab is about 74" high x 27.5" wide. A bit large but seeing I am 6'0 tall, it fits me well. Kids will stand on chairs.. this is daddy's cab!!! LOL Oh and the monitor is a BEHEMOTH! it is very snug in that thing.

maffewl

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2013, 01:59:43 pm »
How big's that cab?

AJ

6'-6" bottom to top, 29" wide (to be able to fit through any household 2'-6" door), and 40.5" back to front. 

Edit:  Not sure if you were asking about my cab or the OP... if it's the latter, please ignore this post.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2013, 02:01:43 pm by maffewl »

dandro

• Offline Offline
    • Link To project
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2013, 09:34:14 am »
How big's that cab?

AJ

6'-6" bottom to top, 29" wide (to be able to fit through any household 2'-6" door), and 40.5" back to front. 

Edit:  Not sure if you were asking about my cab or the OP... if it's the latter, please ignore this post.

LMAO,.. guess what I did when I got home last night!!!??? I ran to measure the cab, not EVER thinking about a doorway  as this is going to be in my garage. But in the rare off chance I ever sell it, would be good to know! WHEW, it would fit through any door way.. LOL

So, I just starred at the cab last night,.. not much to do right now, but stare.... need parts and material...  :-\

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2013, 09:42:15 am »
LMAO,.. guess what I did when I got home last night!!!??? I ran to measure the cab, not EVER thinking about a doorway  as this is going to be in my garage. But in the rare off chance I ever sell it, would be good to know! WHEW, it would fit through any door way.. LOL

As long as you don't go this wide, you should be OK...

dandro

• Offline Offline
    • Link To project
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2013, 09:45:37 am »
one of the goals I set for myself before building this thing was NOT to get on the "Shame build list". I can appreciate the hard work someone would put into a build, but I am more of a minimalist and not looking to literally, surf the web on mine  ;D

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2013, 09:50:49 am »
I can appreciate the hard work someone would put into a build, but I am more of a minimalist and not looking to literally, surf the web on mine  ;D

:laugh2: :cheers:

maffewl

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2013, 11:31:54 am »
I love that Stargate/Snow Bros. renovation... I heard there were some posts on KLOV about it.  Can't seem to find those.  :dunno

Edit:  Nevermind... found them.  My personal favs.

3.  "He should use the extra real estate on the CP for some game-room amenities, like drink holders, ashtrays, sink, soda fountain, popcorn machine, tanning bed..."

2.  "he could have built a whole new addition to his house with that much wood :P "

and the winner by a very slight margin is...

1.  "when its not playing playing games it acts as a pull out bed, or a shelter from the rain. "

Sorry to go Off Topic... but just had to comment.  Carry on...
« Last Edit: March 07, 2013, 11:48:02 am by maffewl »