Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Self Propelled Automatic "Bartop Arcade" Extrusion Machine (or, my CNC build)  (Read 42854 times)

Typefighter01

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 29, 2023, 09:10:21 pm
  • Back I guess...
Whats up gents??? After many years of ohhhing and ahhhing at all the cool CNC builds on the net, I am finally (with the wife's blessing) starting my own. ;D

With 2 fullsize MAME cabs, a visual pinball machine, a bartop MAME cab, and a half finished juke box under my belt, I thought it was time to take my cab building skills to the next level. I am going to do my best this time around to document the entire build (I almost snapped a pic of the UPS guy so no step got missed) but no guarantees.

Anyway, here are the spec of the machine I am building and some of the items I have collect so far.

1. The machine is manufactured in Ontario Canada by XZero CNC. It comes in kit form and the model is called a ViperXZ. You can order it in 30x24 (24x18 cutting area), 30x36 (24x30 cutting area) and 30x48 (24x42 cutting area). I ordered the 30x36 for a few reason which I will explain later...here are the machine specs:
-6 inch travel Z axis 20mm rails
-25mm Rails Y axis with 1605 Y axis high precision Ballscrew
-30mm Rails X axis with 2010 X high precision Ballscrew
-custom made bearing houses X,Y and Z
-Double row angular contact bearings on all Ballscrews
-3/4 inch uprights aircraft Aluminum with 1/2 inch 6061 aircraft Aluminum end frames
-Nema 23 Motor mounts and flexible couplings...4080 Profiles

It will be ready for pick-up Friday and I will post pictures of it then.

2.I also placed an order with George (the owner of XZero CNC, who has provided excellent customer service so far BTW) for a spindle mount for the Hitachi M12VC. During my research, I found many positive reviews for this router and the day I ordered my machine, I saw Amazon.ca had it on sale for $95 plus free shipping, so I pulled the trigger on this also.

3.Like I just said, I ordered and already received the Hitachi M12VC. There are many options available to pimp this router out (Super PID Conversion, precision colletts, dust shoes etc...) so it was an easy choice.

I spent an hour last week trying to add pictures to a post, and they would not upload, have no idea why and I ended up using Imageshack or something. I don't like to use those services in case they vanish, then your stuck with a post full of text and question marks. Tried again and still no lucky, I am on a MAC and I am running Avast antivirus, I am wondering if this is the problem? Anyway, I had a few pictures of the router for you guys, but I will have to see if I can do it from work. EDIT: sorry for lookin like a newb guys, pics below...

Wish me luck :applaud:

Nephasth

I spent an hour last week trying to add pictures to a post, and they would not upload, have no idea why and I ended up using Imageshack or something. I don't like to use those services in case they vanish, then your stuck with a post full of text and question marks. Tried again and still no lucky, I am on a MAC and I am running Avast antivirus, I am wondering if this is the problem? Anyway, I had a few pictures of the router for you guys, but I will have to see if I can do it from work.

Your picture file sizes are probably too big. I use Microsoft Office Picture Manager to reduce my pic sizes to be forum friendly. File -> Export -> "Export using this size" select Document - Large -> OK. Doing this I can upload 8 pics (forum max) per post.

Looking forward to seeing this CNC unfold! :cheers:

Typefighter01

• Offline Offline
  • Back I guess...
Thanks Neph...I checked in to see who responded, and there is the pic of the box with my router inside. I will try the other 2 pics now.

My goal is to have the machine cut out a complete bartop arcade cab during Christmas holidays...lets see if I can make it. It will probably be money that slows this build down. I just blew my play money for the next two years, I will be asking for lots of CNC parts for Birthdays and Christmas...

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 20, 2017, 08:35:41 am
    • Yvan256
I find it a bit weird that XZero CNC names their CNC machines based on their dimensions instead of their cutting area... but you made a good choice with the 24x30 inches model. I myself plan to build a bigger one after my desktop model is completed and I'm aiming for a 20x24 inches cutting area. Except for full-size cabinets I think you'll find that 24x30 is more than enough.

Excellent choice on the M12VC! This thing is very quiet at its lowest speed and its electronic feedback system will remove a lot of troubles from your setup, IMHO.

Maybe we should ask Saint for a "CNC" category, right below "Woodworking".  :D

if you use a Mac, simply use the "Preview" program to resize your images to something smaller, a lot of people seem to use either 640x480 or 800x600 for posting photos. Just make sure to save them under new names if you don't want to lose the original files.

As for budget, see if your town has a sign making shop. If it's anything like mine, they throw away offcuts of very expensive materials like expanded PVC and polycarbonate, etc. Also, MDF is so cheap that it won't break your budget.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2013, 09:53:26 pm by Yvan256 »

Typefighter01

• Offline Offline
  • Back I guess...
Thanks for the tips Yvan...Not too sure why George lists the physical footprint of the table instead of the cutting area, but I am pretty confident I will be happy with its performance. Considering people throw Techno spindles on his machines and cut metal, I should have no issues cutting wood.

I have been following your build, and yours is truly DIY, got to respect that. I was going to try the MDF, gas pipe and skate board bearing route, but something didn't sit right with me and I didn't feel like investing months of time on something that would not work the way I wanted.

Maybe we should ask Saint for a "CNC" category, right below "Woodworking".  :D

I wondered if it might make more sense to post this in the woodworking section, but I don't think it gets the same traffic as the projects section. I think that would be a good idea, even though the CNC builds on here are not technically "Arcade Controls or Arcade Machines", anyone who is a member here and builds one is for sure going to cut stuff that is "Arcade Related".

EMDB

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2023, 09:18:51 am
  • Project RetroCade
I put the images of my build thread (http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,130690.0.html) in a public dropbox folder. Very easy to set up. Just right click on them, get the public links and past it in your posts...

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
    • Yvan256
I put the images of my build thread (http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,130690.0.html) in a public dropbox folder. Very easy to set up. Just right click on them, get the public links and past it in your posts...

And in ten years, when ArcadeControls is still going strong and DropBox is long gone, so will the photos...  ;)

We can host the images right here on ArcadeControls, I don't see the point of uploading and linking the images from another website. There's plenty of threads with broken images because of third-party hosting and I find that sad.

kahlid74

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2021, 12:42:56 pm
  • Gaming for a better future!
    • GamersAnon
Best of luck man!  I too am building a CNC but I'm going for a 6'x4' cutting area and a metal moveable frame.  Mountain on these forums is a WEALTH of knowledge when it comes to CNC machines.  Dhokenfield is around too.

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
    • Yvan256
Any update? Are you still waiting for the kit to arrive?

Typefighter01

• Offline Offline
  • Back I guess...
Any update? Are you still waiting for the kit to arrive?

You beat me by an hour Yvan :hissy:

By the time I got home Friday I was beat and I had to work Saturday, so I spent all morning today going thru the machine top to bottom, doing an inventory of everything I received and giving it a good cleaning and deburring.

Here is how it sits right now...

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
    • Yvan256
By the time I got home Friday I was beat and I had to work Saturday, so I spent all morning today going thru the machine top to bottom, doing an inventory of everything I received and giving it a good cleaning and deburring.

Here is how it sits right now...

You can tell it's a solid machine just by looking at it. I can't wait to see it run!

Typefighter01

• Offline Offline
  • Back I guess...
George asked me if I wanted him to put the frame together (minus the Z axis) -for free- as he had the time. I figured there is probably no one better to assemble it, then the guy who made it, and even though I was looking forward to going through all the steps, I had to say yes.

This thing is an absolute beast. I am completely confident I will have almost zero flex when cutting wood. It is deceiving when you first look at it, considering it is aluminum, it was a real challenge moving it up a flight of stairs to get it to the kitchen table. Yes, the kitchen table, wife wasn't overly impressed, but I did not want it sitting on the floor of the garage.

Here are a couple of pics of all the parts that come with the kit (minus the router).

Typefighter01

• Offline Offline
  • Back I guess...
Close up of the Z and the Hitachi spindle mount. You will notice in the pic of the spindle mounts that the one on the bottom is "brighter" than the one above it, this is the result of going over all the pcs with Scotchbright. I am glad I never touched it on Saturday, because I was just going to take the Scotchbrite and just start scrubbing and polishing, but after Googling "brushed aluminum", I found the correct technique is to only push or pull in one direction. It really makes a difference...

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
    • Yvan256
Aluminium construction, ballscrews, M12VC... I wish I had that machine too.  :D

Typefighter01

• Offline Offline
  • Back I guess...
Best of luck man!  I too am building a CNC but I'm going for a 6'x4' cutting area and a metal moveable frame.  Mountain on these forums is a WEALTH of knowledge when it comes to CNC machines.  Dhokenfield is around too.

:notworthy: Mountain FTW...Have you started a build thread Kahlid? I'll take a link to Dhokenfields if it exists...

Couple of notes about Xzero CNC:

As near as I can tell, George does not have an actual "storefront". I met him in the parking lot of an industrial area (outside of a machine shop) and he had it in the back of his car. Not the usual way to do business, and seemed quite strange. George however, was a real gentleman, a genuine nice guy, so I can only assume he does not feel like spending $5000 a month on rent and considering most of his business is south of the border, it makes sense. His e-mail responses (to me anyway) have been prompt and curtious.

During my research into what CNC I wanted to go with, it was a video on Youtube that sealed the deal for me. This guy built a ViperX2, which is a heavier duty, bigger cutting area version of a ViperXZ. Check this out...I personally wouldnt do it, but cool example of the build quality.

Typefighter01

• Offline Offline
  • Back I guess...
Quick update: I loosely put the entire machine together and I found I was missing a few bolts. I am missing the 4 spindle mount bolts, a set screw and 1 of the bolts for the Z-axis ball nut. I e-mailed George about them since I also forgot to grab the 14 T-nuts and bolts he was going to give me for the table top (I never paid for these, so my fault for forgetting, if he sends them, great, if not, I will order them my self).

Also, I noticed the grease zerks he sent for the Y and Z are straight and too long. Once they are installed, it is impossible to grease the ball nuts without ripping each axis apart. Not sure why he would supply these type of zerk fittings, as they will never work.

Z axis pic showing the zerk fail, and a pic of the X ball nut with the type of zerks I need...

Typefighter01

• Offline Offline
  • Back I guess...
Almost forgot...I also ordered the start of a table for this thing. I am not a big fan of the 2x4 legs and plywood top for a work bench. Doesn't mean it is not the right way to go and extremely strong, it just looks unfinished to me. I am going to give these legs a shot  http://www.amazon.ca/Shop-Fox-D2910-Workbench-System/dp/B0000DD362/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1367536570&sr=8-3&keywords=workbench .

They get good reviews for their strength, but get a zero for the way they are shipped, lets hope I get a good batch :dunno . I want to integrate my computer monitor and keyboard into the design, I want it to look planned. Since these are just legs I ordered, I can make the tabletop any size I want. I might make a partial cover, just to reduce the noise and dust (I know I need a dust shoe and vacuum, the dust shoe gets ordered next). I will post pics of the legs when they arrive...

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
    • Yvan256
Grease zerks... that's something I never heard before. Then again you're the first owner of a ballscrew CNC that I talk to!  ;)

Typefighter01

• Offline Offline
  • Back I guess...
Quick update...finally received my legs from Amazon.ca. They initially arrived on Tuesday, but the crossbeams and hardware were missing so I had them send me a replacement order ASAP. I assembled them after dinner and I took the advice from a few reviews I read. Others had ordered these legs and were shorted some of the hardware or received damaged parts, so when the new set arrived, they would piece together the straightest and least scratched legs (it was a good thing I did, because the screw on foot for one of the legs was at least on a 10 degree angle when screwed all the way in, so I switched this one up).

It is pretty beefy and I like the powder coat, it is thick and the colour is sort of "off white...

Typefighter01

• Offline Offline
  • Back I guess...
Next items will be the table top, dust collector and dust shoe. Just like an arcade cab, if I put the electronics on this thing and get it cutting, I will never install all the other items I want to.

George is the man :angel: . Once I let him know about the missing T-nuts and bolts, he sent them out that day Purolator. I don't need to rip the machine apart to install these T-nuts...they just drop right in...

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
    • Yvan256
Any progress on your build?

Typefighter01

• Offline Offline
  • Back I guess...
I think I have settled on the dust collector I will use... http://www.busybeetools.com/products/DUST-COLLECTOR-PORTABLE-1HP-CSA-CRAFTEX.html . Anyone on here with any dust collector experience that thinks this model is not up too task, please chime in. For $185 I will have a 1HP dust collector, 600CFM, and even comes with 10' of 4" hose. Considering the amount of times in a year I will actually use it, it will probably be strong enough. If I find it is not working, I can always lay out the big dough and use this unit for smaller jobs with the included dust hood. Looking at the pics, the bag lays sideways, so the entire until should fit perfectly under the router table on the bottom bench, keeping with my "all in one" plan.

I stumbled across this free CAD/CAM software today and I think I might give it a try http://www.heeks.net/ . I will at least play around with it through out the summer and if I find it is not working for me I will step up to the more commonly used programs.

Any progress on your build?

I managed to find time to frame out the basic structure of the table-top, but I was short wood, so I will screw the ribs in place later this week. I am thinking on my way home Friday, I will pick up some MDF for the top itself...expect an update on Sunday.

Thanks Yvan for stopping in periodically and checking up on my progress, it is good motivation :applaud:

Brian74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:55:58 pm
  • Yep... I built that!!
I am also watching this thread ::)

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

mountain

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 11:42:28 am
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
That's a great looking kit! What are you going to do for a controller and motors? I will be building a new updated machine this fall too. I have slowly been buying parts to build my end all machine. All aluminum carriages, ball screws on the z, R&P on the X and Y, and hardened v-rails.

High airflow is where its at on the dust collector. 600 cfm may be a bit low depending on how fast you plan on running it.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,131171.msg1349409.html#msg1349409

Good luck with the build.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2013, 02:05:38 pm by mountain »

mountain

• Offline Offline
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
I think I have settled on the dust collector I will use... http://www.busybeetools.com/products/DUST-COLLECTOR-PORTABLE-1HP-CSA-CRAFTEX.html . Anyone on here with any dust collector experience that thinks this model is not up too task, please chime in. For $185 I will have a 1HP dust collector, 600CFM, and even comes with 10' of 4" hose. Considering the amount of times in a year I will actually use it, it will probably be strong enough. If I find it is not working, I can always lay out the big dough and use this unit for smaller jobs with the included dust hood. Looking at the pics, the bag lays sideways, so the entire until should fit perfectly under the router table on the bottom bench, keeping with my "all in one" plan.

I would go with the Harbor Freight dust collector for.
http://www.harborfreight.com/garage-shop/stationary-dust-collectors/2-hp-industrial-5-micron-dust-collector-97869.html

A lot of guys use these because of the price vs performance. Once you can afford an upgrade, add a DIY Thien separator and a Wynn filter and you will be set.

Typefighter01

• Offline Offline
  • Back I guess...
That's a great looking kit! What are you going to do for a controller and motors?

Thanks for stopping in Mountain...At the moment, I am kind of leaning towards CNCrouterparts.com's Nema 23 3 axis kit http://www.cncrouterparts.com/3-axis-electronics-kit-p-74.html. I am pretty confident I want the Gecko G540 and I know they have the power supply, stepper motors and the G540 matched well (the pre-fabbed cables are a nice touch also). I know I could get a lot more for less money if I shopped around, but the owner of CNCrouterparts is a regular member on CNCzone and seems well respected and I don't feel like cheaping out on this part of the build.

I would go with the Harbor Freight dust collector for.
http://www.harborfreight.com/garage-shop/stationary-dust-collectors/2-hp-industrial-5-micron-dust-collector-97869.html

We don't have Harbor Freights up here in Canada, the closest thing is either Princess Auto or BusyBee Tools. The nearest equivalent BusyBee offers to the one you linked to is this one http://www.busybeetools.com/products/DUST-COLLECTOR-1HP-CRAFTEX-CX-SERIES-CSA.html. It's only 1HP but moves 825CFM and certainly looks better constructed and comes with a 1 micron bag. Looks like stepping up to 2HP puts me in the $400 plus range and that will blow the budget to finish this thing. I think no matter what, I will step it up to this model as I won't have to change the bag as often and for $50 more it moves a 1/3rd more air.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,131171.msg1349409.html#msg1349409

I am keeping this link right hear so it does not get lost...Thanks for the help...

Typefighter01

• Offline Offline
  • Back I guess...
I am also watching this thread ::)

I was occasionally peaking in at your "The Game Vault" thread, but once you went vertical CRT, I was hooked. My next full size cab will be a Shmups tribute cab for sure...loves me some DoDonPachi.

Brian74

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 01:55:58 pm
  • Yep... I built that!!
Its been slow go on it. I bought 2 rotarys in hopes to play ikari warriors. Been a pain in the ass trying to get them to work. But games do look awesome on it. Having a few probs with the monitor flicking and sides being concaved.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2

kahlid74

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 01, 2021, 12:42:56 pm
  • Gaming for a better future!
    • GamersAnon
Great progress man, I like the build platform.  The Dhokenfield build is actually on Joe'sCNC forum.  I'll see if I can grab the link but you've got Mountain here now so you are all set.

Another comparable dust collector versus the Harbor Freight one is the Delta 50-760 (http://www.amazon.com/DELTA-50-760-1-5HP-Vertical-Collector/dp/B00078V9KA)  Still need to add a Wynn dust cylinder and a Thein separator but after that you should be all gravy.

I don't have a build thread because it's on the back burner right now as I want to finish Battletech POD, another arcade machine and my new shiny ClearVUE Dust collection system.

Typefighter01

• Offline Offline
  • Back I guess...
Tabletop structure is done :applaud: MDF tabletop tomorrow...

Yvan256

• Offline Offline
    • Yvan256
Tabletop structure is done :applaud: MDF tabletop tomorrow...

Good progress! Can't wait to see everything setup and ready to cut!

Can you record your first arcade-related CNC cut for us? Almost all YouTube and Vimeo CNC videos are furniture-related or signs…  ::)

mountain

• Offline Offline
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
Looking good. Are you using T-track as your hold down system?

Typefighter01

• Offline Offline
  • Back I guess...
Can you record your first arcade-related CNC cut for us? Almost all YouTube and Vimeo CNC videos are furniture-related or signs…  ::)

For sure...I feel your pain.

Looking good. Are you using T-track as your hold down system?

If you are talking about aluminum T slot for the table top, probably not. George quoted me $300 for a T slot table top (this includes the labour to have all the mounting holes drilled and all mounting hardware). Considering I have a perfect peice of 3/4" MDF sitting in the garage and George gave me 16 T nuts and bolts for free, it will cost me nothing to put a top on it. I know for my first project (bartop arcade) I will just screw the wood I am cutting directly to the spoil board. Down the road, however, it would be nice to have an adjustable hold down system. It's funny, just before you posted this question, I was checking out an MDF CNC build where the builder drilled holes in a grid pattern every two inches and then screwed "nut serts" into the spoil board. He just made little adjustable hold arms with bolts and voila. It is still a couple steps away, so I have some time...any suggestions?

Buick455

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2024, 03:24:29 pm
  • I MUSTA WRECKED IT!
I'm also in the process of cluttering my house with CNC parts, little bit here and there mainly all the aluminum and rails.

The way I am planning to do my hold down and spoil board is:
-Mount a 3/4" MDF full size of my cut area, deck it with the machine and seal it.
-Then mount T-Track (like from Rockler) every 6-8" (this will depend more on the size of the arms you use).
-Then lay 3/4" MDF planks between the T-Tracks.
In theory the top layer of MDF shouldn't need to ever be decked & when its chewed to hell, cut new planks and replace..

At the rate I'm going though it will be x-mas before I have all my parts, lol..

mountain

• Offline Offline
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
Yeah, my table is similar what Buick455 describes. However, I bolted the spoil boards down with plastic bolts recessed into the spoil board when I first built the machine. I have since replaced the spoil boards and used polyurethane to secure them. This way, after re-surfacing them several times, all I need to do is glue another set of boards down and its good to go for a few more years.

Here is a video of my machine in action. You can see the red channel running along the Y axis. The head of a 1/4" bolt slides into them perfectly and the little white knobs were made with the machine.

Typefighter01

• Offline Offline
  • Back I guess...
I'm also in the process of cluttering my house with CNC parts, little bit here and there mainly all the aluminum and rails.

The way I am planning to do my hold down and spoil board is:
-Mount a 3/4" MDF full size of my cut area, deck it with the machine and seal it.
-Then mount T-Track (like from Rockler) every 6-8" (this will depend more on the size of the arms you use).
-Then lay 3/4" MDF planks between the T-Tracks.
In theory the top layer of MDF shouldn't need to ever be decked & when its chewed to hell, cut new planks and replace..

At the rate I'm going though it will be x-mas before I have all my parts, lol..

Thanks for the info Buick...I like the idea of only decking the machine once. Have you started a build log yet?

Here is a video of my machine in action.

Didn't know your machine was on YouTube. Looks like it is pretty well sorted, lots of good ideas.

Put down the first layer of the tabletop this afternoon, 3/4" MDF, countersunk and pre-drilled with 2 1/2" #8 wood screws...

Typefighter01

• Offline Offline
  • Back I guess...
Also managed to screw down the second tabletop layer, which is 3/4" white melamine (countersunk with the same #8 wood screws). The surface is 100% level and true and it is rock solid :applaud: Next step is to place and level the machine. It is drilled and tapped on the bottom of each side for legs (M? something, not sure what size of bolt anymore, I will have to use some Google-Fu). I think instead of legs, I will bolt through the tabletop itself and use a combination of nuts, washers and a stud to hold the machine down and to level it. I intend on making an enclosure with plexi doors to help with noise and dust and I will be using the same 3/4" melamine. Here is a couple of "not so good pics" of how nice it looks in the white melamine, should make for an easy to clean and professional looking surface.

EDIT: The side with the 2" relief is the front, and the doors will slide in there, the back has a 6" relief, cables and power will be fed up through this area. I am thinking on using the generic black plastic computer desk cable management holes with the little rotating disk...

Buick455

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2024, 03:24:29 pm
  • I MUSTA WRECKED IT!
Looking good TF!!

I'm still trying to decide how I'm building a base and fitting it in my garage :dizzy: On paper, mine is 68"x61" overall, so its gonna be a big damn base/table. I was going to build it with wood but its just too big, I think I'm going to weld it and hope I can keep it square enough.

Keep the updates flowing, I need all the incentive I can get :lol

Typefighter01

• Offline Offline
  • Back I guess...
On paper, mine is 68"x61" overall, so its gonna be a big damn base/table.

Just for a scale reference, my table is 38"x60", so yes, it is gonna be a big damn base...space is the price you pay when you want to go big.

Found time to clear out a home for this thing.

Typefighter01

• Offline Offline
  • Back I guess...
Just lost 20min explaining what I did...I normally copy my reply before I post, but I forgot and I got some error, now I am pissed off  :banghead: Here are some pics of the CNC now mounted to the table I built, I will go into detail about what I did later tonight...