Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Aliens Themed Cab  (Read 151582 times)

Pixelhugger

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 25, 2024, 11:35:14 pm
I love the curved top. Man that looks awesome. :afro:
Project mega thread HERE

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
How do you plan on handling the back? Did I miss that somewhere in the thread? I'm planning a curved door for mine so I'm interested to hear how you are approaching yours.
Project mega thread HERE

Silas (son of Silas)

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2022, 08:37:03 am
How do you plan on handling the back? Did I miss that somewhere in the thread? I'm planning a curved door for mine so I'm interested to hear how you are approaching yours.

You're now entering the Twilight Zone........

I was just about to pose the same question. I thought it, you posted it... Spooky
" ਜਿਹੜਾ ਲਾਓ ਜਰਦਾ ਉਹ ਸੌ ਸਾਲ ਨੰਈ ਮਰਦਾ " (he who chews tobacco would live to be a hundred )

My Project MAME clone
Who is Silas?

Epyx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 25, 2023, 07:56:36 pm
  • "You're an oddity"
Re: Aliens Neon Curvy Upright Horizontal Project *Joined, mount, wheels, roof* N
« Reply #203 on: November 02, 2009, 01:13:19 pm »
What is really spooky is I was just answering that and tried to post and you both beat me to it! Lol:

Thanks Pixel. Ya, Im definitely happy with how it turned out. So far no popping after about 3 weeks, so feel confident it will be fine. The back will be similarly curved but I will do that in 2 parts...a permanent top half and a removable bottom half for the computer.  The top half will have an opening but only for a UV Green 120mm fan.  The back straightens out at the midway mark going down so the removable bottom panel will not be curved, making it easier to remove etc.

So picture a similar curve extending from where the top ends down to the midway point where the back straightens, with a green UV fan. I want to get a custom Aliens picture laser cut for it.

Oh and to get the curved shape, same idea that worked well for me for the top...curved ribs that I have already put aside for the sides and some mid structure to attach the curve to.  All of them were template routed based on the back curve. so it will be a flush mount riding just shy of the t molding.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 01:16:53 pm by Epyx »
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Pixelhugger

• Offline Offline
I thought it, you posted it... Spooky

And "Spooky" is my son's nickname. Coincidence? You decide.

@Epyx

Very interested to see your curved removable panel. (My plan is to have the top arc over the top edge and come about 10" down the back. Another panel will arc up from the bottom a foot or so. That leaves a large opening which will be covered by a similarly curved door recessed behind the two panels.) My biggest concern has been that the curved door will twist and flex . From you pics it looks like the top stayed pretty rigid when not attached. How do you plan on attaching it while keeping it removable? I've been planning on having mine bolt into position on a brace running horizontally behind it.

This'll be interesting to folllow.
Project mega thread HERE

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
Re: Aliens Neon Curvy Upright Horizontal Project *Joined, mount, wheels, roof* N
« Reply #205 on: November 02, 2009, 01:34:54 pm »
From you pics it looks like the top stayed pretty rigid when not attached.

I have been using threaded inserts. So each side rib has a three threaded inserts. The outermost ribs on the roof itself have lined up threaded inserts...then I just screw the bolt in to join them together.  

It is completely solid and won't move on its own or when joined to the cab.  I did the top and bottom first for this very reason...my first cab different parts of the cab weren't the same width...this time I wanted 26.5" from top to bottom with not even 1/16" variance...so far so good ;)

And looking forward to your next update Pixel!
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 01:41:37 pm by Epyx »
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Gamester

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2019, 03:00:10 pm
« Reply #206 on: November 02, 2009, 05:01:30 pm »
Ya the lamination definitely adds to the aesthetics. With a regular paint job you tend to second guess a lot...is it smooth enough? One more sanding? Another coat?

Boy, you are NOT kidding.  I have spent 5 days trying to get mine primed and smooth.  I think it will probably look fantastic when I'm done, but I'm hating life right now...   :banghead:
Current Project:                                                       First Project:

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2021, 05:49:39 pm
  • Likes to make things difficult.
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #207 on: November 02, 2009, 09:10:13 pm »
Ya the lamination definitely adds to the aesthetics. With a regular paint job you tend to second guess a lot...is it smooth enough? One more sanding? Another coat?

Boy, you are NOT kidding.  I have spent 5 days trying to get mine primed and smooth.  I think it will probably look fantastic when I'm done, but I'm hating life right now...   :banghead:

I am totally glad the painting is behind me, though I do have a few touch ups to do yet....  :cry:

Silas (son of Silas)

• Offline Offline
I painted my boat a couple of years ago and my father taught me a technique for using these.

The finish was nothing short of amazing, it looks like it was sprayed. The trick is to only apply in one direction with the pad and never ever go back over the paint in the other direction. I can't see any reason why they wouldn't be good for painting a cab too?

Failing that, a small hobby compressor and a spray gun would produce good results.
" ਜਿਹੜਾ ਲਾਓ ਜਰਦਾ ਉਹ ਸੌ ਸਾਲ ਨੰਈ ਮਰਦਾ " (he who chews tobacco would live to be a hundred )

My Project MAME clone
Who is Silas?

Franco B

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 09:14:06 am
This cab is turning out to be fantastic   :applaud:

I would love to build a laminated cab even half as good as this one day  :)

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 12, 2024, 11:26:01 pm
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
I'd recommend adding a back just to keep dust out.
NO MORE!!

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #211 on: November 03, 2009, 10:57:42 am »
I'd recommend adding a back just to keep dust out.

Oh for sure...as I mentioned above, the back will be fully covered...the curve will continue down to the midway point, where it straightens out and then a removable access panel will sit on the bottom half to access the pc and back of monitor (by reaching up).

The finish was nothing short of amazing, it looks like it was sprayed. The trick is to only apply in one direction with the pad and never ever go back over the paint in the other direction. I can't see any reason why they wouldn't be good for painting a cab too?

Ill buy a few with my foam rollers and try that, thanks.

I would love to build a laminated cab

Ya, that was my main motivator, seeing so many nice looking laminated cabs, particularly Martijn's SF cab. Even though he's put up side art the front panels, bezel all look so pro.

Ehhhhhhhehhhhhhuhhhhh.... ahhhhhhh damn.... I jizzed in my pants!

Lol, love that clip.
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Martijn

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2024, 10:34:36 am
  • Akira!
    • ModMyBox
Looking good there Epyx. Keep it up  :applaud:

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
I really hope you can get the Green paint to work. It would be a shame to laminate the front panel. IMO, I think it would hinder the look of the cab. But then again, It may be because it's what we've been looking at since the beginning.

Now get this thing finished and get back to work on the Wasteland cab.... sheesh!  :laugh:
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009, 10:21:56 pm by Ryglore »

Silas (son of Silas)

• Offline Offline
I really hope you can get the Green paint to work. It would be a shame to laminate the front panel. IMO, I think it would hinder the look of the cab.

I don't agree. I think laminate would look really good.

My Project MAME clone
Who is Silas?

thatitalian

• Don't worry about the chicken, I feed my friends human all the time...
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2018, 10:52:37 am
  • The Revolution Is Coming...

+1 for that. Formica would actually tie in more to the cab. It would have the same texture.

BTW, has anyone thought to laminate in this?

Silas (son of Silas)

• Offline Offline
Yeah, I have a sample of the F1485 High Gloss on that link, but decided to go with the F1485 velvet finish instead. (see pic) It's really nice stuff, but it looked a bit too BLING for my taste.

My Project MAME clone
Who is Silas?

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard

Thus the reason why I said "It may be because it's what we've been looking at since the beginning.". But still if there was some green laminate that would look close to the color he's looking for, it would look good. But I'm not sure about laminating the whole thing black.

The cab has a great design to it and the color scheme is part of the package. I say, if he takes his time and does the painting well, with some semi-gloss or high-gloss paint, it would still look really good next to the laminated black.

Silas (son of Silas)

• Offline Offline
Ah.. OK I'm with you. I agree. If the correct shade of green isn't available then I would paint it instead of black laminate. I just assumed with the huge range of laminates that there would be something pretty close.

My Project MAME clone
Who is Silas?

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
Ah.. OK I'm with you. I agree. If the correct shade of green isn't available then I would paint it instead of black laminate. I just assumed with the huge range of laminates that there would be something pretty close.

Ah, I figured you meant laminate the front black instead of painting. But ya, I agree.

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #220 on: November 04, 2009, 11:20:18 am »
It's a special formica/wilsonart which is about $140 for a 12x8' sheet...of which I will only be using a fraction so going to try the paint option first.  I'm going to be real fussy though so if it doesn't work out Ill go the formica route in green but the paint is already there and mixed and ready so this weekend ill know if it's a go.
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #221 on: November 07, 2009, 07:40:16 pm »
Today I installed the upper monitor brace and test fitted my WG D9800 monitor.  I have included some pictures of the bolt holes and placement on the beams. I ended up cutting 4 notches to clear the bolts.  Tomorrow the fun begins, cutting the various panels for the front, the bezel, speaker and bottomr marquee retainer shelf and the coin door, CP and piece that joins the two.  I will also close in the light chamber of the marquee area.

The width of the bezel area is 26.5", leaving 2-5/8" from edge of viewable screen to side of cab on each side.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 07:46:50 pm by Epyx »
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
Re: Aliens Neon Curvy Upright Horizontal Project *Monitor Fitting* Nov 7
« Reply #222 on: November 07, 2009, 07:49:15 pm »
Sweet! moving along nicely.  :cheers:

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #223 on: November 10, 2009, 04:46:26 pm »
Updated the marquee and placed the order. For the price, im happy with it (even though it has "characters"! and the caption is cheesy...but I like frommage!) and not like I can't take it out and change/update it later. This is an update to the earlier one on page 1 of this thread.  26.5' x 8.5". Here is the proof that FastSigns sent me (White border is just from the proof sheet and will not be on final print):

« Last Edit: November 10, 2009, 04:52:10 pm by Epyx »
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #224 on: November 10, 2009, 04:54:50 pm »
Nice! The only thing I worry about is the Lens Flare in the center being too bright and making the wording tough to read.

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #225 on: November 10, 2009, 05:22:31 pm »
Ill find out after Rememberance day when I pick it up...hopefully not :)
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Ryglore

• Offline Offline
    • The Brush Wizard
« Reply #226 on: November 10, 2009, 05:24:37 pm »
Ill find out after Rememberance day when I pick it up...hopefully not :)

if so, you could maybe get him to print up a second one on plain paper to deepen the colors.... our as you say Colours.  :lol

Luigi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 05, 2021, 11:28:40 am
  • Collecting/restoring cabs
« Reply #227 on: November 11, 2009, 01:50:57 am »
I just can't hold back any more......this is AWESOME  :notworthy: :applaud:

Can't wait to see the lit balltops on that sweet CP :)

Just one question: did you have to pay some sort of tax when you received my sticks?

Thorsten's Led Balltops+ Hollow Shafts

$65

Total = Ouch...so much for the cheap upgrade lol but it's done the way I want it, that's what counts but safe to say next build will be a while.

26 Euros are 41 CAN$....what happened??  ???

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #228 on: November 11, 2009, 03:30:23 am »
26 Euros are 41 CAN$....what happened??  ???

Exchange, and most likely duty. Especially from the UK. Wretched Canadian customs!   :banghead:

thatitalian

• Don't worry about the chicken, I feed my friends human all the time...
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2018, 10:52:37 am
  • The Revolution Is Coming...
« Reply #229 on: November 11, 2009, 06:15:36 am »
Hmmmmm, I always seemed to get bumped with customs, yet other UK BYOACers seem to get nowt!

Yet another way we get bumped by the taxman! Have I mentioned stamp duty?...

Franco B

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 09:14:06 am
« Reply #230 on: November 11, 2009, 10:08:50 am »
Wow, its looking awesome with the monitor in Epyx.  :)

You can beat a nice big monitor, there is nothing worse than seeing a lovely cab with a ---smurfy--- 17" CRT in it IMO.

Hmmmmm, I always seemed to get bumped with customs, yet other UK BYOACers seem to get nowt!

Its a bit hit and miss if I get charged, I would say 75% of the time I get hit. I'm not too fussed about paying the tax etc but its the ~£25 charge that Parcel Farce put on for 'handling' the item that gets me.  :angry:

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:41:11 pm
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #231 on: November 11, 2009, 11:26:07 am »
I'm not too fussed about paying the tax etc but its the ~£25 charge that Parcel Farce put on for 'handling' the item that gets me.  :angry:

Wow, that's harsh. In Sweden we get away with £6 for the handling part. But in Sweden we not only have to pay for the item itself, but we have to pay for the shipping as well. AGAIN!. I was soooo happy when my Japanese 360 just sailed through. :D

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2024, 07:42:30 pm
« Reply #232 on: November 11, 2009, 03:12:23 pm »
If only vendors would mark the packages as gifts...I know, it's illegal. :(
But honestly, even though I paid for it, whenever I get a package in the mail that is arcade related, I get giddy as if it were a present!  ;D ;D ;D

Silas (son of Silas)

• Offline Offline
« Reply #233 on: November 11, 2009, 04:15:18 pm »
Apparently the amplifier I bought on eBay from Hong Kong was sent from my 'Good Friend Jennifer" as a 'Gift'

My Project MAME clone
Who is Silas?

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #234 on: November 11, 2009, 06:46:42 pm »
26 Euros are 41 CAN$....what happened??

It was actually $42 and no customs as it was Canada Post...was a mistype ;)

You can beat a nice big monitor, there is nothing worse than seeing a lovely cab with a ---smurfy--- 17" CRT in it IMO.

Completely agree, I have about 2.5" (from viewable screen, 1.5" from edge of monitor) on each side. That will be enough for the bezel and give me a nice big screen.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2009, 07:03:10 pm by Epyx »
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Expressline99

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 16, 2020, 11:00:55 pm
  • What have I done?
« Reply #235 on: November 12, 2009, 09:58:37 am »
I have to give you uber credit for your cab... I'm Jealous...and you are inspiring me to build a cabinet from scratch.

:applaud:

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #236 on: November 12, 2009, 10:44:34 am »
Thanks Expressline99,

It is a lot of fun building your own cab from scratch.  Even though I would like to take on a restore one day, I get a lot out of building it myself because a lot of the fun (for me) is the design and then building and executing to that original specific design.  It is really rewarding seeing a concept materialize from a drawing, then a render etc.

When you start your scratch build, throw it up for us to see!

Look for a massive update this weekend.  All the final pieces have been cut for the front of the cabinet and the next two weeks should see things get finalized. Although a massive IT project at work is preventing weekday work..the weekends are all clear for me to build and unwind.
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Expressline99

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 16, 2020, 11:00:55 pm
  • What have I done?
« Reply #237 on: November 12, 2009, 11:14:34 am »
Thanks Expressline99,

It is a lot of fun building your own cab from scratch.  Even though I would like to take on a restore one day, I get a lot out of building it myself because a lot of the fun (for me) is the design and then building and executing to that original specific design.  It is really rewarding seeing a concept materialize from a drawing, then a render etc.

When you start your scratch build, throw it up for us to see!

Look for a massive update this weekend.  All the final pieces have been cut for the front of the cabinet and the next two weeks should see things get finalized. Although a massive IT project at work is preventing weekday work..the weekends are all clear for me to build and unwind.

Oh believe me it will be up here. I always need all the help/opinions I can get!

I was in IT for years working for Pacbell so I know how the long projects go. Anyway, I look forward to the update!

BTW your name "Epyx" and avatar bring back great memories from my C64 days...which I still have stuffed away somewhere.

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #238 on: November 12, 2009, 11:43:41 am »
Oh believe me it will be up here. I always need all the help/opinions I can get!

I was in IT for years working for Pacbell so I know how the long projects go. Anyway, I look forward to the update!

Good stuff looking forward to it.  As for the IT...ya we are installing a new ERP package...migrating these guys from an old, old, old Unix system to a modern graphical ERP...not fun.

BTW your name "Epyx" and avatar bring back great memories from my C64 days...which I still have stuffed away somewhere

Yep, indeed. Summer Games I/II, California Games, Winter Games are still some of the best 2 player experiences even today. Throw in non Epyx games like Bunten's masterpiece MULE and the C64 was/is hard to beat as probably one of the best 2 player game platforms of all time.
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Gamester

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 01, 2019, 03:00:10 pm
« Reply #239 on: November 12, 2009, 12:31:23 pm »
All the final pieces have been cut for the front of the cabinet and the next two weeks should see things get finalized.

Cool Epyx!  Looks like you and I are on a similar time line for completion.  My goal is to be able to spend the U.S. Thanksgiving holiday (in about 2 weeks) PLAYING a finished cab! 

Can't wait to see yours finished!   :cheers:
Current Project:                                                       First Project: