Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: The Summer of Chuff 2015  (Read 109331 times)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 02, 2024, 04:09:27 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: The Summer of Chuff 2015
« Reply #80 on: June 05, 2015, 12:23:50 am »
I can do one in one minute, 30 seconds flat.  I can shave off 30 seconds if I use the really stiff screwdriver.  ;)

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:36:20 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #81 on: June 05, 2015, 12:34:13 am »
I can shave off 30 seconds if I use the really stiff screwdriver.  ;)
https://youtu.be/OeLnS8O08ng?t=32

Scott
« Last Edit: June 05, 2015, 12:38:09 am by PL1 »

harveybirdman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 12:40:25 pm
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #82 on: June 05, 2015, 12:59:24 am »
Speed comes later first learn F2L

Then learn 2 look OLL

Then 2 look PLL

Then all the PLLs

I have yet to put the time commitment into learning all 72 OLLs because I have no desire to compete and 30 seconds is plenty fast to make non cubers assume you are a genius.

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 07:41:50 am
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #83 on: June 05, 2015, 07:26:53 am »
I can do one in one minute, 30 seconds flat.  I can shave off 30 seconds if I use the really stiff screwdriver.  ;)

I was gonna ask how you remove and re-apply all the stickers so fast.

When I worked at comcast we had a guy who would have you twist up the cube then he'd solve it in 30 seconds; one day at break we twisted it up and then moved stickers around. He didnt think it was as funny as we did.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
« Reply #84 on: June 05, 2015, 10:28:01 am »
When I worked at comcast we had a guy who would have you twist up the cube then he'd solve it in 30 seconds; one day at break we twisted it up and then moved stickers around. He didnt think it was as funny as we did.

Hilarious!   :cheers:

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:58:34 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #85 on: June 05, 2015, 04:57:59 pm »
Heh, you are probably right, but I bought it for a steal at $200. The trailer is meant for a much heavier boat and has hydraulic brakes. I could sell the trailer alone for probably at least $400. The motor is IIRC, 90hp and has a working hydraulic steering system, and just needs some wiring fixed. also $400 minimum. I am half tempted to part it out, money wise that makes sense, but I really want to see the boat fixed up.
I bet it just needs a cap kit or a fuse, bro.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #86 on: June 05, 2015, 05:29:50 pm »
So that shed I mentioned.... it's all done but the roof, which will be tarp  (that thick carport stuff) that I have to cut and seam tonight.  (Blargh!)

The best part, so far I've spent $3.99 on the whole thing.  No trading, no dealing... just using up all the spare junk in the yard.  I had to buy a box of screws, which sucks as otherwise it would have been free.  I think that makes me the master miser for right now.  I mean that's pbj levels of cheap.

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #87 on: June 05, 2015, 05:54:57 pm »
Way to go, Howard!  Carport tarp doesn't last even a single season here in Phoenix though.  :(  The sun is intense enough that it literally starts to dissolve the tarps.  I have to replace the tarp on my backyard shop area at least once a year, I've even tried the "Heavy Duty, Silvered" ones, doesn't help...

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #88 on: June 05, 2015, 06:29:51 pm »
They don't last super long here either, in a couple of years I'll probably have to replace it, but in a couple of years I'll have more tin/wood/ect and I'll just put a proper roof on.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:41:59 am
« Reply #89 on: June 05, 2015, 08:40:46 pm »
So that shed I mentioned.... it's all done but the roof, which will be tarp  (that thick carport stuff) that I have to cut and seam tonight.  (Blargh!)

The best part, so far I've spent $3.99 on the whole thing.  No trading, no dealing... just using up all the spare junk in the yard.  I had to buy a box of screws, which sucks as otherwise it would have been free.  I think that makes me the master miser for right now.  I mean that's pbj levels of cheap.

Take me home, country roads!  ;D

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
The Chuff Days of Summer
« Reply #90 on: June 05, 2015, 09:13:59 pm »
I took two days off from work and it's been chufftastic (and there are still two more days before I have to go back!)
Probably wouldn't be chufftastic for a professional, but for me it was clearing some major hurdles.
(I'm remodeling a long neglected house that was poorly built to begin with)

I removed an 80's era window air conditioner that had been "permanently" installed in an old original window frame.
That sucker was in there with extra bracing, flashing around it, the works.  The kicker is that the state will give me $25 for it to make sure the Freon is recycled properly.
The window for this frame is long gone and the view would suck anyway, so I busted out the frame, reframed, insulated, etc.
Now I got solid wall, just need to drywall the seams which luckily are just two standard vertical seams since the window was located in the center of a 4x8 sheet.   ;D
The big box stores didn't have vinyl siding to match what I have now, so tracking that down will be something I do while trapped at work.

The other big accomplishment was widening the bathroom door without damaging the surrounding drywall.  It originally only had a 24" door.
Now it's framed for a 28".  Part of this involved ripping out the bathroom closet, which I planned to do as part of a bathroom renovation later.
So I guess the bathroom renovation has started also.

The major point of both these was so that I could move forward with patching up the drywall and painting the living room and hallway.
Then I'll be done with the dust for a while.   :applaud:

I also mowed the yard and did all the laundry today.
I was sick of working inside the house, so this evening when I got a second wind I removed the clothesline posts I'll never use and set a new mailbox post in quickcrete.

On top of that, a $116 check from a class action lawsuit came in the mail today.
I think I'll go have me a late steak dinner.   ;D

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #91 on: June 05, 2015, 10:09:11 pm »
I took two days off from work and it's been chufftastic (and there are still two more days before I have to go back!)
Probably wouldn't be chufftastic for a professional, but for me it was clearing some major hurdles.

I removed an 80's era window air conditioner that had been "permanently" installed in an old original window frame.
That sucker was in there with extra bracing, flashing around it, the works.  The kicker is that the state will give me $25 for it to make sure the Freon is recycled properly.
The window for this frame is long gone and the view would suck anyway, so I busted out the frame, reframed, insulated, etc.
Now I got solid wall, just need to drywall the seams which luckily are just two standard vertical seams since the window was located in the center of a 4x8 sheet.   ;D
The big box stores didn't have vinyl siding to match what I have now, so tracking that down will be something I do while trapped at work.

The other big accomplishment was widening the bathroom door without damaging the surrounding drywall.  It originally only had a 24" door.
Now it's framed for a 28".  Part of this involved ripping out the bathroom closet, which I planned to do as part of a bathroom renovation later.

The major point of both these was so that I could move forward with patching up the drywall and painting the living room and hallway.

I was sick of working inside the house, so this evening when I got a second wind I removed the clothesline posts I'll never use and set a new mailbox post in quickcrete.

On top of that, a $116 check from a class action lawsuit came in the mail today.
Awesome job, man. You're bringing chuffy back.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #92 on: June 05, 2015, 10:32:34 pm »
Can I borrow $116?  :)

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2024, 04:55:07 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #93 on: June 06, 2015, 12:44:00 am »
@BM - I love those super motivated days when ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- is just evaporating from the to-do list. Nothing beats them, they've been far and few between for me lately. Glad somebody is getting stuff done!

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #94 on: June 06, 2015, 01:16:03 am »
This is sure turning out better than last year, when we all posted these really long lists and got absolutely nothing done.  This the season of the chuff.

(Oh obligatory)

jdbailey1206

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 11, 2023, 01:32:56 pm
  • No. It's your top score on Pole Position.
« Reply #95 on: June 06, 2015, 08:22:07 am »
My brother in law moved out of my basement after a year and a half.  Dont get much chuffier than that.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 28, 2024, 11:14:17 am
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #96 on: June 06, 2015, 08:15:53 pm »
I put in a gravel patio, did some serious pressure washing, and have weeded about 80% of the back yard. I've been working on the interior of my house for so long, I forgot I have a pretty huge yard that is really nice to hang out in! I'll post some pics later.

The gravel is a compromise. I had big dreams of a paved patio but the funds just aren't there. At least if the time comes that I want to upgrade, I have a very nice base! Just add sand and pavers!

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #97 on: June 06, 2015, 08:34:14 pm »
Yeah anything other than gravel costs a small fortune if you've got any size to your walkway... been looking into it myself.... gravel it is!

Well it's two chuffs forward two chuffs back for me.  Prepped the tarp for the shed and hung it...managed to make a new hole in my thumb drilling the final screw (it's my spacebar thumb dang-it!)  Now that it's up I'm fairly certain I used the wrong tarp and this one is "water resistant" and not waterproof.  I'll get out the hose tomorrow.

Oh and obligatory:

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #98 on: June 06, 2015, 08:43:43 pm »
Yeah anything other than gravel costs a small fortune if you've got any size to your walkway... been looking into it myself.... gravel it is!

I used road base for the base, 3 inches. And then heavy duty weed barrier, and topped it with 3" of "golf cart path"

Over 700 square feet, about 800 bucks.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #99 on: June 07, 2015, 02:40:59 am »
It's so cool to see something you created on location in an actual arcade.

Slippyblade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 16, 2023, 11:39:51 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #100 on: June 07, 2015, 02:27:59 pm »
It's so cool to see something you created on location in an actual arcade.

Congrats!

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #101 on: June 07, 2015, 03:32:56 pm »
Not exactly a dream yard yet, but definitely better than the bramble bushes and morning glory that occupied that space previously. Where the truck canopy and kayaks are it will one day be a 10x13 shed for my tools that take up more of the basement than they are welcome to.

05SRT4

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 02, 2024, 04:10:04 pm
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #102 on: June 07, 2015, 05:05:57 pm »
Not exactly a dream yard yet, but definitely better than the bramble bushes and morning glory that occupied that space previously. Where the truck canopy and kayaks are it will one day be a 10x13 shed for my tools that take up more of the basement than they are welcome to.

Nice setup, is there no fence between the back neighbors?

05SRT4

• Offline Offline
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #103 on: June 07, 2015, 05:17:37 pm »
Now that I actually have a truck I was able to clean up the Banshee and take it out. I think its been sitting in my garage for the last 2 years. This is in southern Utah. I still need to do a little tuning, seem to sputter at the top end.

Also my little sister and husband finally moved out of our basement so I was able to rip up the carpet, prep and paint. We wanted to make the room into a small home gym so I ordered some foam mats. Was easy to install and seem to hold up well. Had to put some extra scrap pieces under the treadmill and stationary bike as it dented the foam. Just standing or doing stationary work outs didn't seem to deform the foam.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #104 on: June 07, 2015, 05:24:43 pm »
Nice setup, is there no fence between the back neighbors?

There used to be but it was ripped up in a windstorm. We put in the trees last summer, by next summer I think it will be a little more private. Until then, I'll be crashing all his parties and he will be crashing all of mine.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #105 on: June 07, 2015, 05:50:45 pm »
Now that I actually have a truck I was able to clean up the Banshee and take it out. I think its been sitting in my garage for the last 2 years. This is in southern Utah. I still need to do a little tuning, seem to sputter at the top end.

Also my little sister and husband finally moved out of our basement so I was able to rip up the carpet, prep and paint. We wanted to make the room into a small home gym so I ordered some foam mats. Was easy to install and seem to hold up well. Had to put some extra scrap pieces under the treadmill and stationary bike as it dented the foam. Just standing or doing stationary work outs didn't seem to deform the foam.

I'm redoing our home gym while my wife is away. What are you doing for decor?

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #106 on: June 07, 2015, 06:29:59 pm »
That looks like a nice Nintendo blue!

05SRT4

• Offline Offline
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #107 on: June 07, 2015, 06:59:22 pm »
Honestly this is about it, I might install some mirrors on one wall. I plan on setting up a small mounted TV in the corner so we can do P90x or insanity. Still thinking about getting a bench and some weights. Don't want to over crowd the room though.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 07:27:15 pm by 05SRT4 »

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #108 on: June 07, 2015, 07:07:42 pm »
Honestly this is about it, I might install some mirrors on one wall. I plan on setting up a mall mounted TV in the corner so we can do P90x or insanity. Still thinking about getting a bench and some weights. Don't want to over crowd the room though.

Did a realtor take that photo? lol

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:22:35 pm
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #109 on: June 07, 2015, 07:11:25 pm »
Make sure you buy some new wooden hangers so you can use all that home gym equipment in style...

05SRT4

• Offline Offline
  • Check out my Pow Pow
« Reply #110 on: June 07, 2015, 07:34:38 pm »
Honestly this is about it, I might install some mirrors on one wall. I plan on setting up a mall mounted TV in the corner so we can do P90x or insanity. Still thinking about getting a bench and some weights. Don't want to over crowd the room though.

Did a realtor take that photo? lol

Pro snaps huh, nah I was trying to use the panorama thing on my phone.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 08:10:37 pm by 05SRT4 »

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #111 on: June 07, 2015, 07:56:47 pm »
I think you need to keep a backwards-talking midget in that closet.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #112 on: June 07, 2015, 10:02:38 pm »
That joke will totally be relevant when Twin Peaks is back on the air. 

dkersten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 11:47:30 am
  • If you are gonna do it, do it right..
Re: The Chuff Days of Summer
« Reply #113 on: June 08, 2015, 10:43:57 am »
The kicker is that the state will give me $25 for it to make sure the Freon is recycled properly.
Wow, that really pisses me off.  Here it COSTS $25 to get rid of anything with Freon in it.  When I did my game room, I 86'd the old in wall unit and an old refrigerator that wasn't quite working and it cost me $50 to dump them.  I suppose I am just glad I am not a taxpayer in your state, paying not just to recycle it, but paying you to bring it in in the first place. 
 :angry:  /rant

In other news, a facebook friend posted his brand new ebay purchased 60-in-1 cocktail cab that he can "play 60 of the best games from the 80's" on.  He had more responses from fellow 80's graduates saying how utterly awesome that was than I have facebook friends.  Of course, the second comment was "Does it play elevator action?" to which he answered, "no, but it plays Galaga".. Instead of commenting that Galaga was all he would ever play on it after the first month anyway, I posted a couple pics of the cabs I built, which spawned a sub-comment section with some dude who is building his first cab using an r-pi.  I will direct him here if he hasn't already been here.

I did manage to help my son put a new door on his 1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse this weekend.  Found one on ebay for less than $300 shipped (200 lb door, probably cost $200 just in shipping.  local junk yard wanted $650 for the same door).  Changing the wiring harness, window glass, tracks, handles, mirror, trim, and one body panel is a little more work than I expected, and with limited use of my right hand I wasn't as much help as I wanted to be.  On the other hand, he learned a lot doing it.  Took around 10-12 hours total to get it perfect, but it was worth it.  Saved around $1500 compared to a body shop. 

All other projects are still on indefinite hold until I have full use of my hand.  The past week I figured out I can remove my splint and play games though, and I have been putting in some hours on Heroes of the Storm, Blizzards new League of Legends knock-off.  Summer finally arrived here though, went from 50 degree days to 90 degree days in a matter of one day, so I will likely shift some priorities back to finishing some stuff on the deck, like a sunshade for late evening (the west side of my yard is the only spot with no tree cover and the sun is brutal between 7 and 9 each night) and the rest of the pergola I started over the fire pit last year.  The projects never end.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #114 on: June 08, 2015, 10:57:18 am »
Of course, the second comment was "Does it play elevator action?" to which he answered, "no, but it plays Galaga"..

In the end, that's all the ever care about anyway.

When I had my performance review this past school year, it was done not by my principal but by the head of IT (long story). We were small-talking before the post-conference, and he asked about my hobbies. When I mentioned arcade collecting, his eyes got wide and he asked me if I had... yep.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #115 on: June 08, 2015, 11:02:37 am »
Summer finally arrived here though, went from 50 degree days to 90 degree days in a matter of one day, so I will likely shift some priorities back to finishing some stuff on the deck, like a sunshade for late evening (the west side of my yard is the only spot with no tree cover and the sun is brutal between 7 and 9 each night) and the rest of the pergola I started over the fire pit last year.  The projects never end.

I'd be interesting in seeing the sunshade and/or the pergola. Living in Arizona, you can imagine what we need to do to combat the sun.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #116 on: June 08, 2015, 11:26:17 am »
The kicker is that the state will give me $25 for it to make sure the Freon is recycled properly.
Wow, that really pisses me off.  Here it COSTS $25 to get rid of anything with Freon in it.  When I did my game room, I 86'd the old in wall unit and an old refrigerator that wasn't quite working and it cost me $50 to dump them.  I suppose I am just glad I am not a taxpayer in your state, paying not just to recycle it, but paying you to bring it in in the first place. 

Oh, I don't have to bring it in.  They come to my house and pick it up.   :D

Thanks for the reminder.  I need to schedule that today.
https://www.jacoinc.net/LandingPage/Index?programId=80

EDIT:  crap, looks like they might not come for just an air conditioner....

DOUBLE EDIT: Yeah, they'll only pick up an AC if they're already there to pick up a fridge or freezer.  :-\
It's still free to take it to the local transfer station.  I wish I'd taken it there on Saturday and been done with it.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 11:36:58 am by BadMouth »

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #117 on: June 08, 2015, 11:47:55 am »

Oh, I don't have to bring it in.  They come to my house and pick it up.   :D

Thanks for the reminder.  I need to schedule that today.
https://www.jacoinc.net/LandingPage/Index?programId=80

EDIT:  crap, looks like they might not come for just an air conditioner....
It's still free to take it to the local transfer station.
:timebomb: :timebomb: :timebomb: :timebomb: :angry:

Oh well.. lol. 

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #118 on: June 08, 2015, 11:56:25 am »
I'd be interesting in seeing the sunshade and/or the pergola. Living in Arizona, you can imagine what we need to do to combat the sun.
For the sunshade I just plan on attaching some 4x4's that are 10 foot above the deck line in 8 foot increments across that west side of the deck, then run some 2x6's across the top and bottom, then get some black nylon screen that I can roll up at the top and roll down to the bottom (attach with Velcro at the bottom and sides) when I need it, roll it up when I don't.  The screen will allow the wind to pass through and darken the sun enough to not be so annoying.

I will post pics when I get started on it. 

The pergola is mostly done, I just need to fill in some slats for the shade part.  It is above a recessed firepit area though and a pain to get ladders up there, plus I complicated the hell out of the angles, so it will be one hell of a tough project.  With my son now doing district management work for his company and traveling a lot, I don't have much of a window for getting the help I need either, so I will just be happy if I complete it before the end of the summer...

Generic Eric

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2024, 09:02:23 am
  • Restore! Don't maim for MAME, build from scratch!
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,143226.0.html
« Reply #119 on: June 08, 2015, 01:51:18 pm »
Nearly complete.