Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 80s Cartoons  (Read 10609 times)

Xiaou2

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 12, 2024, 06:16:00 am
  • NOM NOM NOM
80s Cartoons
« on: April 12, 2010, 11:59:43 pm »

Every Sat morning was just about the time of my life back back when I was
a kid in the 80s.

There were so many fun cartoons to watch.  A lot of them got born from
Video Games, which was kinda funny...  And many were downright sad  heh

Firstly, I wanted to Mention  "Dungeons and Dragons".  Was one of the better
cartoons, and the few that I really didnt want to miss.   Always wondering if they
would find their way home...

Turns out, that there WAS in fact an ending to the series... However, it
never got produced in Cartoon format.   I recently did a search... and amazingly,
I found the guy who wrote the script for the ending (among many other things).
Its actually quite an awesome ending, and a real shame it didnt get animated.

You can read about its creation, and download the actual script here:

http://www.michaelreaves.com/requiem_preface.htm

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 12, 2024, 06:16:00 am
  • NOM NOM NOM
Re: 80s Cartoons
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2010, 12:38:08 am »
 When searching Youtube for  80s cartoons, I came across so many strange
cartoons that I never recalled seeing... which leads me to believe that many
different areas saw very different cartoons when they grew up.

Some I remember:

- Dungeons and Dragons - One of my favs. Thou, a bit hokey, still was fun.
- The Little's  - nicely animated cartoon. A bit boring tho.
- Gummi Bears - Always fun
- Pac Man - I believe I recall it being interesting
- Thunderbirds 2086 - A rare & cool Japanese cartoon series.A bit less childish
- The Real Ghostbusters - Good adaptation.Fun stories.Nice animation.
- Muppet Babies - Loved that cartoon series   ;D

- Starwars? - Some starwars cartoon. Didnt last long. Cant remember much.
- Rubiks Cube - The worst idea for a cartoon ever. Barely made it thru 1 episode.
- Dragons Lair - Cant remember it.  Think it was very bad.

Ohh man, youtube to the rescue:

- Space Ace?!  - Wow. Ugg
 - Frogger - How could they..  lol
 - Qbert - *Facepalm*

- Non Cartoon Sat Goodness:  StarCade!   ;D
« Last Edit: April 13, 2010, 12:40:38 am by Xiaou2 »

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2015, 02:28:15 am
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2010, 01:16:37 am »
OK, you got me.

* D&D: I distinctly recall seeing this series as a kid. Even remember one episode where they got oh so close to going home, even popped up at the fair. I recently tried to find the entire series, but the seeds were so poor all I could get were about two English episodes and about a dozen crappy foreign dubbed episodes.

* The Littles: I loved The Littles. They used to have these paper doll cut-outs and I used to have entire books of them. You would cut and fold the pages and make the entire Littles house.

* Gummi Bears: Rocked. Period. Managed to snag two different collections of this series. One partial series derived from the DVD set another, lower quality but complete set derived from some streaming website.

* Pac-Man: I recall this series. It was OK.

* Thunderbirds 2086: Good one, I had to look this up. Released in 1982, it looks like it was never re-aired in most markets.

* The Real Ghostbusters: +1 Saw some of the old episodes just recently. The animation sucked royally. The New Ghostbusters is even worse.

* Muppet Babies: I actually hated this series. I grew up on Muppet Theater so watching a watered down cartoon kind of sucked when Animal destroyed anything or Beaker never blew ---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- up.

I never saw the rest of the cartoons you list. However, I can recall assloads of others. To name a few:

* Legend of Zelda: Speaking of Video games. I had to look this up to make sure it really was an 80's show (aired in 1989).

* Pole Position: I was actually looking up M.A.S.K. and came across a YouTube video. Strangely enough, the only thing I remember are the Modules. Absolutely nothing else about that show. Must've not been very good.

* Ducktales: To this day I would love to get the complete unsplit TV movie premier. It's never been released in its original format, on DVD it's split up as a series of four (or six?) episodes.

* G.I. Joe: You cannot ever call yourself a child of the 80's and not know of this show. :)

And finally, Robotech, Voltron, GoBots and Transformers. I was absolutely crazy about giant fighting robots. :)

jamesjones626

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 24, 2019, 01:24:52 pm
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2010, 01:53:39 am »
there was one cartoon i use to watch but dont remmmeber the name when i was a kid.  They were insect people and they rode huge bugs.  I had some of the toys as a kid.  There was one guy who looked like he was half man and half spider and he rode a giant tarantula.  I remember there was another guy who had purple armor and he rode a giant fly.  I asked a few friends of mine and they remember watching it in the 80's but no one can come up with a name, can anyone here?

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2010, 03:10:24 am »
Sectaurs

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 20, 2024, 06:16:01 pm
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2010, 03:33:36 am »
Most 80's cartoons sucked, but I grew up with 60's cartoons, when Bugs Bunny was rather evil, and the cartoons had more frames and just looked better IMHO.
But one 80's cartoon I used to watch with my son was Star Wars' Droids. I liked it.

drventure

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 06:53:06 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2010, 07:32:37 am »
Sat mornings for me were bugs bunny etc. My time with sat cartoons was right before the 80's.

I never watched it then, but I was describing Thundercats to my daughter, so we decided to go looking for episodes.

Sure enough, all of em are online (though I can't figure out any way to download them, they're some sort of flash format), and she loves em.

gryhnd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 22, 2018, 10:48:58 am
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2010, 08:06:01 am »
Sat mornings for me were bugs bunny etc. My time with sat cartoons was right before the 80's.

I never watched it then, but I was describing Thundercats to my daughter, so we decided to go looking for episodes.

Sure enough, all of em are online (though I can't figure out any way to download them, they're some sort of flash format), and she loves em.

Ditto.

Thundercats came out when I was a freshman in college. A bunch of  floor mates and I would get back from classes and flip it on  :dunno  T.C. pretty much elicited a "WTF" from me, but was good for the laughs.

Oh, and if it was Friday (or sometimes any day of the week), T.C. would turn into a drinking game....:cheers:
In progress: Rat Rod Jukebox ** 99% Complete **
Completed: The Island Cocktail, and here
Completed: No Name Upright

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2010, 08:30:43 am »
Garfield and Friends was good. I wasn't big on the US Acres parts, but the Garfield segments were well done.

Ed_McCarron

• Nothing worse than Picard issuing the self destruct order and the next thing you know it your apartment blows up.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 20, 2022, 02:33:39 pm
  • Get your mind out of the gutter. THIS is a dongle.
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2010, 08:43:40 am »
Starblazers.
But wasn't it fun to think you won the lottery, just for a second there???

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2010, 09:22:07 am »
Most 80's cartoons sucked, but I grew up with 60's cartoons, when Bugs Bunny was rather evil, and the cartoons had more frames and just looked better IMHO.

I believe that was the era when animators actually cared to sync the mouth with the voice. For me, a good potion of the 90's were a major disappointment. That's when they went back and redid the 60's cartoons. Swapped out the baseball bat for a tennis racket in Tom & Jerry. Removed any racial references in Bugs Bunny. And totally obliterated Woody Wood Pecker.

gryhnd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 22, 2018, 10:48:58 am
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2010, 09:29:30 am »

I believe that was the era when animators actually cared to sync the mouth with the voice. For me, a good potion of the 90's were a major disappointment. That's when they went back and redid the 60's cartoons. Swapped out the baseball bat for a tennis racket in Tom & Jerry. Removed any racial references in Bugs Bunny. And totally obliterated Woody Wood Pecker.

Two Christmases ago, when my son was about 8, he gave me one of the Looney Tunes multi-DVD packs.  Ain't that cool?  We just so happened to be watching it Sunday, before my wife scolded us for not helping get ready for dinner.
In progress: Rat Rod Jukebox ** 99% Complete **
Completed: The Island Cocktail, and here
Completed: No Name Upright

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2024, 10:11:33 am
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2010, 09:55:22 am »
Some of my favorites:

Transformers
Spiderman and His Amazing Friends/Incredible Hulk Hour
The Superfriends Hour
Bionic Six
G.I. Joe
Dungeons and Dragons
Thundercats
Inhumanoids
Voltron
Jem (yes, Jem)
M.A.S.K.
Inspector Gadget

Thenasty

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:20:21 pm
    • Thenasty's Arcademania Horizontal/Vertical monitor setup.
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2010, 10:48:57 am »
no one mentioned the fantastic duo "Tom & Jerry"

Woody Woodpecker
Mr.Magoo
Jetsons
The Flintones (is that how is it spelled?)
Heckyl & Jeckly (Couple of Doo Doo Birds)
Scooby Doo
Jossie and the Pussycats
He-man
Flash
Flash Gordon
Plastic Man
Atom Man
Sub Mariner
Aqua Man
Fantastic 4
Batman & Robin
Spiderman

All my FAVs. I'm sure there are more.

Good Cartoons. 80's why did you have to end  :'(

I watched Mazinger-Z and Voltes-V around 1978+

I love the Thundercats.

There are some Cartoons that prbably lots have forgotten or never saw. I was in the Philippines when I watch this cartoons.
1.  Mightor  (a man with a caveman stick and when he raise it up and say "Mightor" he becomes a Mightor almost like Thundercats/He-Man"
2.  Moby Dick say the Whale that carried 2 kids around with it.

Thenasty's Arcademania Horizontal/Vertical setup.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=26696.0

Free VGA Breakout Cable
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=38228.0

Ultimate All in One Coin Mech write up (Make your own)
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=19200.0

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2010, 10:52:47 am »
no one mentioned the fantastic duo "Tom & Jerry"

Because we're talking about 80's cartoons.

trencej

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 03, 2015, 09:44:53 am
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2010, 01:08:05 pm »
Some of you UK guys and gals must remember trapdoor?

Great series, i still watch them quite a bit, just as funny as an adult as when i was a kid. But for different reasons.

"Its Bonking time again fans, i loves me a bit of bonking"

Quality stuff indeed.

Spaz Monkey

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2011, 11:33:55 pm
  • Hit me with a chicken quesadilla and a Coke.
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2010, 01:25:43 pm »
The Mighty Orbots!  It's the whole 5 robots make one superbot that expands, the "kid robot" that is the "ignition key" for huge super robot, the car that is also the giant robot's control panel, and the human that made them all.

lordtodd75

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 21, 2020, 01:42:37 am
  • I especially hate punks!
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2010, 01:54:40 pm »
Saturday supercade cartoons were pretty crappy but it filled my arcade game cravings when I couldnt actually make it to an arcade. Especially the dragons lair cartoon, none of my local arcades ever had dragons lair so the only time I could play it was at the jersey shore. God I was taken with that game when I was a kid.

A lot of people probably wont like to admit it but pee wees playhouse was pretty awesome and don'f forget about picture pages.

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2010, 02:42:08 pm »
Pee Wee's Playhouse was great, but Pee Wee's Big Adventure is even better.

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 25, 2023, 07:56:36 pm
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2010, 03:09:38 pm »
Here is a story I wrote called "Death of the Saturday Morning Cartoon: An Interactive Requiem"

Saturday morning television on the major networks is now predominantly filled with two things, local news…and international news. For most kids, watching news ranks right up there with doing chores or going to the dentist. Things were not always this way. There was a golden age in the late 70s where as a kid you could count on two things, that ”Star Wars” would always be cool and Saturday morning would always have cartoons. In the 70’s and 80’s, Saturday morning was prime time television for kids. Everything on ABC, NBC and CBS was geared to kids with the marketing intensity of a “Super bowl” event. The commercials were obsessed with three things: breakfast cereals, sweets and toys.

As Canadians, we were subject to American products that were not available here at that time. To this day I can’t shake the “Apple Jacks” theme from my head.

“A is for Apple, J is for Jacks, Cinnamon toasted Apple Jacks”

And who could forget the commercial where the little asian girl, the waiter dude, the baseball runt and native American all tell you how great Hershey's is.

”Hershey’s is, the great American, great American, chocolate bar.”

The worst tease to an eight year old boy had to be the “Kenner Star Wars” toy commercials. In every commercial your favourite Star Wars toys were turned into high budget props in a thirty second action film. “The Millennium Falcon’s” gun turret roared with impossible to reproduce sound effects and the “Land Speeder” raced in a straight line at just under “six parsecs” across sidewalks and garden rails. Once home, it veered off to the left after ten inches of “sub parsec” speed, before dying at the side of the road like a Ford.

Millennium Falcon Commercial

Land Speeder Commercial

Still, these commercials captivated our imaginations and were really the only reason to tag along with Mom when she went shopping at K-Mart or Woodward’s. After all, shopping was pretty fun when there was the promise of the toy section and its many aisles of glorious action figures dangled like a carrot.

Saturday Morning cartoons were easily the most important calendar event of the week for my little brother and me. We would wake up at 5:55AM, dragging our blankets with us to the living room downstairs. My brother would turn on the T.V. and change the channel to ABC in preparation for “Superfriends” which started at 6AM.

Superfriends Intro

My Dad was a bodybuilder and that meant our fridge and cupboards were filled with foods that were “Complex Carbs”, “High in Protein” and “Low Sodium”. This meant that while we were watching Tony the Tiger tell us how “Greeeaaat” his flakes were, we were eating oatmeal with a smidge of honey. Fortunately, we were enterprising enough to create loopholes for ourselves. The meal of choice on Saturday mornings was buttered whole wheat toast, dripping with oodles of syrupy honey.

Tony the Tiger Commercial

Cozy in our blankets, we would sprawl on the floor of the living room, gorging on several helpings of toast and honey while we watched our favourite cartoons. Next up after “Super Friends” was “Scooby’s All Stars Laff a Lympics”. “Scooby’s All Stars Laff a Lympics” was a 90 minute show hosted by the other pink panther, “Snagglepuss”. The show started with an episode of “The Scooby Doo Show” which was the third “Scooby Doo” series after the original one and the meet the movie stars series. It featured the intro with Scooby water skiing with a shark nipping at his heels. After that was “The Blue Falcon and Dynomutt”. The show ended with an episode of “Captain Caveman and the Teen Angels”.”

Laff a Lympics Intro

Scooby Doo Show Intro

Dynomutt Dog Wonder Intro

Captain Caveman Intro

After this the watching became a tad less predictable. Our selection was “Plastic Man” or “Fantastic Four”, depending on which one was a re-run (this was before the introduction of “Baby Plas” who ruined “Plastic Man” forever in ’81). If they were both new, we generally went with “Plastic Man”. Still, there were other alternatives…

Plastic Man Intro

Fantastic Four Intro

There is no doubt in my mind that the reason the “Metric System” has taken so long to gain a foothold here in Canada is that Canadian’s primarily watch American television. There are a few exceptions, notably, “Hockey Night in Canada”, “The Grey Cup” and “Trailer Park Boys”. The majority of Canadian television has historically been filled with shows like “The Littlest Hobo”, “Beachcombers”, “Corner Gas” and “Anne of Green Gables”. These are shows that are so terrible and yawn inducing that they drive you to want to gouge and prod yourself repeatedly with plastic utensils.

Littlest Hobo Intro

Beachcombers Inro

This brings me to the other alternatives to “Plastic Man” and “Fantastic Four”. They were available on the Canadian channel CKVU 13 but were so terribly bad that they were probably written into the Geneva Convention as forms of torture. These cartoon abominations were “The Mighty Hercules” and “Rocket Robin Hood”. Is it any wonder Canadian kids tended to watch American cartoons with crap like this? These “Canadian Made” cartoons were god awful, yet when forced to watch they were the equivalent of driving by a car wreck. They re-cycled the same four illustrations for “combat” and “power ups” and would spend the first five minutes after EVERY commercial explaining what had happened BEFORE the commercial. This meant that as a viewer you were treated to exactly 5 minutes of original content in a 30 minute cartoon. It is therefore no surprise that most of us grew up heavily influenced by American culture.

The Mighty Hercules Intro

Rocket Robin Hood Intro

After “Plastic Man” or “The Fantastic Four” we were treated to what was probably my favourite show in the summer of 1980, “Thundar the Barbarian”. “Thundar the Barbarian” was a post-apocalyptic cartoon that borrowed heavily from “Star Wars” but at eight years old you weren’t always looking for original content. It was a cartoon that seamlessly blended Science Fiction and Fantasy. To a kid, it was like merging “Conan the Barbarian” with “Star Wars”.

Thundar the Barbarian Intro

Our fourth hour of viewing was the “Scooby and Scrappy Doo” hour. It was a classic “Scooby Doo Where are You?” cartoon followed by “Scooby and Scrappy Doo” the character that would single-handedly ruin “Scooby Doo” for over a decade. I still suffer the nostalgic taint of groan inducing lines like:

"Lemme at 'em! I'll splat 'em!" "Lemme at 'em! I'll splat 'em!"
“Ta tadada Puppy Power!”

Scrappy Doo Intro

Our fifth hour of viewing was where things tended to get dicey. If it was spring or summer weather outside, Dad might wake up and kick our little asses outside. The tell-tale sign that the jig was up was the familiar stomping of “Quadzilla”. Dad would walk past the bathroom and towards the door that led to the downstairs living room. The language was Dutch but the meaning was Universal.

“How many times have I told you two that you shouldn’t be cooped up all day when it’s sunny outside,” he would say.

“But Papa, can we pleeeeeaaaase just watch one more show?” we would answer in desperation.

“It’s almost noon and you’ve spent half the day inside already, now go outside!” was his scripted reply.

And just like that the magic would be over and we would be forced outside into the sunlight to go bike riding or explore the creeks and trails in the surrounding forests. Such malevolence.

During the rainy season of winter and its surrounding months we were given some reprieve.

In the ‘80s the quality of the Saturday morning offering began to suffer. The introductions of cartoons like “Laverne and Shirley”, “The Smurfs”, “Alvin and the Chipmunks” and “Mr. T” would begin to take over while gems like “Dungeons and Dragons” and “Richey Rich” were few and far between. Soon the Saturday morning cartoon crowd would begin to view cartoons at after school hours. Cartoons like “Robotech”, “Gi Joe”, “The Transformers” and “G-Force Battle of the Planets” all began to pull away the core Saturday morning crowd.

Mork and Mindy Laverne and Shirley Hour Intro

Mr. T Intro

Robotech Intro

The Transformers Intro

At first, the networks began to introduce news programming during the first half of Saturday morning. But by the time the early ‘90s rolled around the death knell that had begun in the late ‘80s was in full ring. My daughter would never know the joy of waking up on a Saturday morning to watch hour after hour of quality cartoons. She inherited the Cartoon Network and Teletoon which aside from some adult content late at night are rife with the kind of crap cartoons that would make “The Mighty Hercules” and “Rocket Robin Hood” look brilliant in comparison.

And so, let us remember for a moment, that nostalgic time when commercials promised toy greatness and many dental trips. A time when cartoons were served up hour after glorius hour on Saturday mornings to an army of entranced rugrats and anklebiters.

R.I.P
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

Thenasty

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:20:21 pm
    • Thenasty's Arcademania Horizontal/Vertical monitor setup.
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2010, 03:20:28 pm »
wow, just for the heck of it aI went to youtube and searh Mightor and found it.

memories....

and moby dick

wow
Thenasty's Arcademania Horizontal/Vertical setup.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=26696.0

Free VGA Breakout Cable
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=38228.0

Ultimate All in One Coin Mech write up (Make your own)
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=19200.0

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
Not all 80s Cartoons but.....
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2010, 03:39:50 pm »
Remember these:

Hey Hey Hey!
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

jfunk

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 24, 2018, 04:36:39 pm
  • BYOAC Wannabe
    • JFunk's Arcade
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2010, 04:17:13 pm »
I loved Thundarr the Barbarian..  *sigh*

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 12, 2024, 11:26:01 pm
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2010, 09:47:45 pm »
Ahhh... 80's cartoons were so bad. Badly drawn, low frame rates, horrible stories, horrible voice acting. Most of my faves were mentioned already but who could forget TURBO TEEN!

Here's that Rubik the Amazing Cube someone mentioned:

My faves were anything arcade related, the D&D one, Plastic Man, Super Friends, the Smurfs and a couple japanese cartoons dubbed in french, like Goldorak (aka Grandizer):
(ahhh what a cool theme song LOL)

"Captain Flame" (I dont know the proper english name):

"Albator" (sorry, im delving beyond the 80s!)

Here's a pretty comprehensive list of 80's toons:
http://www.tripletsandus.com/80s/cartoons.htm

NO MORE!!

RTSDaddy2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2014, 08:28:03 pm
  • Bees! Oh bother!
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2010, 04:16:09 am »
Thundarr the Barbarian was the coolest show ever to me during the 80s. Great sci-fi and I loved the sun sword.

GI Joe has to be listed.  Inhumanoids was incredible at the start, especially episode 3 where Decompose infected Sandra Shore and she utters "I am one with Decompose (evil laugh as the once human Sandra becomes a horrible skeleton like creature)!"

I second the comments on Garfield - hates US Acres, but the Garfield segments were great. The new 3D Garfield cartoon is awesome too.

Wife has intro'd the kid to the Smurfs (which I hated).  Would rather watch Blue Falcon /Dynomutt any day of the week over the Smurfs.  Liked the Pac-Man series also.

This was also the waning years of Sid & Marty Krofft, so I can't forget:
1) Electra Woman & Dyna Girl
2) Dr. Shrinker
3) Bigfoot and Wild Boy

While not cartoons, they were not to be missed around here.  And while I'm at it, were the Herculoids also 80s?

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2010, 08:35:35 am »
The new 3D Garfield cartoon is awesome too.

You can't have a proper Garfield cartoon without the voice of the late Lorenzo Music.

Fordman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 12, 2021, 11:20:27 am
  • MADE in the USA
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2010, 09:53:48 am »
I remember C.O.P.S. Fighting Crime in the Future Time

It was a syndicated cartoon.

Anyone remember Police Academy : The Cartoon?

Also I didnt like how Droopy was re-drawn in the 80's by Filmation. Didnt Filmation make their own version of the Ghostbusters?

Give me good 'ole Tex Avery cartoons anyday!

"moo moo moo, bah bah bah" Bull
"Whatcha mean bah bah bah?" Wolf
"Sheep ya darn fool!" Bull
I only quoted because someone else reached the youtube limit ::)

:cheers:

Fordman

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #27 on: April 14, 2010, 11:44:56 am »
I only quoted because someone else reached the youtube limit

*cough*  ::)
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #28 on: April 14, 2010, 04:45:00 pm »
I only quoted because someone else reached the youtube limit

*cough*  ::)

Oops....  ;D
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 12, 2024, 11:26:01 pm
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
« Reply #29 on: April 14, 2010, 10:38:16 pm »
What Youtube limit?
NO MORE!!

pinballwizard79

• The above mentioned items do not expel strawberries & pretty girls
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 04, 2014, 09:18:00 pm
  • I sleep by my arcade every Friday
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2010, 02:12:46 am »
Doughtnuts, milk, cartoons & no school....damn life was awesome back then.

I liked Captain Caveman (& Son) for some reason. Have yet to hulu or "surf the channel" it yet

I really remember those claymation clips they would show before commercials with the dog, fire hydrant, heads & etc

That & those "dont let a friend push you into taking drugs" skateboarding 80's public service announcement....no comment on if it worked or not.

---steaming pile of meadow muffin--- it wont let me embed links, weird...I guess the 25 above locked the thread?

« Last Edit: April 15, 2010, 02:17:51 am by pinballwizard79 »
"George Bush doesn't care about arcade people"

My FrankenPanel: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=110312.0

My Game Room: http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=81323.0

EightBySix

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 25, 2021, 01:50:16 pm
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2010, 07:34:09 am »
You can pretty much date a cartoon to the 80's by the hearty laugh at the end after the moral of the story has been delivered  ;D

Who remembers 'Cities of gold' and 'Ulysees 31'? I think they were french in origin, but dubbed in english...

Dexter

• Patriotism, the last refuge of the scoundrel. -- Irish, darnit!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2024, 04:36:19 pm
  • "MAKE POVERTY HISTORY......."
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2010, 09:54:39 am »
I picked up the box set of 'battle of the planets' last year.

Good times.....

fargo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 28, 2021, 11:50:40 am
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2010, 12:23:41 pm »
I'm gonna throw in a plug for one more not yet mentioned:  Godzilla.  Thought that was a great 'toon, although wasn't all that fond of his little sidekick Godzuki.

For myself, I think fond memories are sometimes better left just that... I also loved the Dungeons and Dragons, so couple years ago bought the DVD set just for some nostalgia.  Eh.  Not quite as great as I remembered.

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2010, 03:43:31 pm »
For myself, I think fond memories are sometimes better left just that...

Ya nostalgia is a tricky beast...I get the same with a lot of cartoons but find if I just sample a snippet like the theme song it conjures up the memories without spoiling them ;)

Then of course some nostalgia holds up to present day, particularly this hobby of ours!
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

J_K_M_A_N

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:01:57 pm
« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2010, 10:05:24 pm »
What about Chilly Willy? I always remember the pancakes.

I also liked the OLD Woody Woodpecker. They were way better than the newer ones.

J_K_M_A_N

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 05:47:47 pm
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #36 on: April 16, 2010, 10:07:54 pm »

* G.I. Joe: You cannot ever call yourself a child of the 80's and not know of this show. :)

Hmm, I must have been wrong about when i was born  ;D

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 05:47:47 pm
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #37 on: April 16, 2010, 10:11:17 pm »

So no love for Danger Mouse then? Or cartoon-in-a-show, Captain Kremmin of the Star Corp?

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

RTSDaddy2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2014, 08:28:03 pm
  • Bees! Oh bother!
« Reply #38 on: April 19, 2010, 02:58:18 am »
 :soapbox: Are you ready? Ahem.. (cough, cough)....mi mi mi mi.... :soapbox:

It may be that some memories are better left alone, but dammit, any one of the series named here that I'm familiar with (and it's quite a lot) would run rings around what's on for children these days.  Has anybody SEEN Cartoon Network lately?  What the hell is Captain Flapjack? Thia show is on at a local pizza palor in town and I really came close to telling them to turn it off if they couldn't do better.  The humor apparently consists of characters throwing up for no apparent reason at all.

Man, and I thought SpongeBob  killed brain cells (well, actually, the cartoon "SpongeBob B.C." does...every time I watch that 7 minute short, I can feel several brain cells jumping to their death, screaming in pain...yet my 7 year old is not bothered by it).

I would rather have hot coals shoved in my eyes,nose and mouth than to EVER see another  episode of FlapJack,  Give me Bugs and Daffy and day over this garbage.  Good god, it makes Pokemon look like - quality wise - Bugs and Daffy in comparison! It makes a class show like Anamaniacs  and "Looney Tunes", plus anything by Tex Avery, look like "The Godfather"!

Some days I just know old Chuck (Jones), Friz (Freleng), and Tex are just spinning around in their graves seeing that their art form has come to this.

HanoiBoi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 13, 2016, 09:52:03 pm
« Reply #39 on: April 19, 2010, 08:45:55 am »
When I was a wee kid, I remember loving Ultraman, Marine Boy and Johnny Sokko and his Flying Robot.   A little older and I too loved all those 80's shows...Dungeons and Dragons, Star Blazers, etc.

I've got two boys who love Scooby Doo, Tom & Jerry, Bakugan, Ben 10, etc. and most of the recently released animated movies.  (They've actually got some pretty good taste - they watched Madagascar once and never desired it again.)

They do enjoy watching Cartoon Network as often as they are allowed.  Johnny Test is a favorite, but I have to say, I originally found Flapjack a bit offensive, but being an old fan of Ren & Stimpy and seeing how much the kids laugh at the 'potty humor', I've grown to enjoy shows like 'Flapjack' and 'Chowder' for their oddness and for the kids' happiness.  We do not watch Spongebob though.

We occasionally try to wind down an evening with a little 'Franklin' or 'Magic School Bus'...nice, wholesome cartooning!

In the past, I've introduced them to 'Wacky Races', 'Josie & The Pussycats' and 'Spiderman (70's)'.  I'm planning on introducing 'Pinky & The Brain' to them soon.   ;D

Dexter

• Patriotism, the last refuge of the scoundrel. -- Irish, darnit!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2024, 04:36:19 pm
  • "MAKE POVERTY HISTORY......."
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2010, 11:32:21 am »
So no love for Danger Mouse then?

Great show....."CRUMBS D.M"

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2010, 10:43:28 pm »
What is interesting about the American cartoons here in Canada is that in the 70s and early 80s we watched many of them uncensored. For example the Tom and Jerry shows that had been modified in the US since the early 60s were shown unedited here in Canada...same with many of the other controversial Looney Tunes and Merry Melodies episodes.

Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2024, 06:21:28 pm
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2010, 01:31:16 am »
Anyone ever watch Jayce and the wheeled warriors?

NiN^_^NiN

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 01, 2020, 10:28:26 pm
  • Oh yeah Baby. I put on my robe and wizard hat
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2010, 06:32:35 am »
No love for Visionaries: Knights of the Magical Light?

Got of copy of it recently and love it :D

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 20, 2024, 01:42:43 am
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2010, 01:29:53 am »
:soapbox: Are you ready? Ahem.. (cough, cough)....mi mi mi mi.... :soapbox:

It may be that some memories are better left alone, but dammit, any one of the series named here that I'm familiar with (and it's quite a lot) would run rings around what's on for children these days.  Has anybody SEEN Cartoon Network lately?  What the hell is Captain Flapjack? Thia show is on at a local pizza palor in town and I really came close to telling them to turn it off if they couldn't do better.  The humor apparently consists of characters throwing up for no apparent reason at all.

Man, and I thought SpongeBob  killed brain cells (well, actually, the cartoon "SpongeBob B.C." does...every time I watch that 7 minute short, I can feel several brain cells jumping to their death, screaming in pain...yet my 7 year old is not bothered by it).

I would rather have hot coals shoved in my eyes,nose and mouth than to EVER see another  episode of FlapJack,  Give me Bugs and Daffy and day over this garbage.  Good god, it makes Pokemon look like - quality wise - Bugs and Daffy in comparison! It makes a class show like Anamaniacs  and "Looney Tunes", plus anything by Tex Avery, look like "The Godfather"!

Some days I just know old Chuck (Jones), Friz (Freleng), and Tex are just spinning around in their graves seeing that their art form has come to this.

LOL... I think your reaction simply indicates that you've grown up into an old fart.  Flapjack and Spongebob are quite possibly the best children's (by that I mean intended for those 12 and under) cartoons on television today.  They are witty and enjoyable enough for adults (or apparently most adults) to watch as well.  Both have won several awards for excellence.  And it's funny that you mention bugs and daffy because both sponngebob and flapjack are HEAVILY influenced visually by the works of tex avery and chuck jones (with a bit of ren and stimpy for good measure).  As a matter of fact, with the exception of show geared towards teens and adults (see the adult swim lineup) it is the highest quality animation on the air today!  Also what you are describing doesn't sound like any episode I've ever seen.  I doubt you've ever actually sit and watched an entire episdoe of flapjack because most adults like it, even those that hate spongebob. 

Mind you I'm a fan of the 80's as well, because I grew up in the 80's, but quality-wise, both in terms of writing and animation, what is on today, as a whole, is FAR SUPERIOR to anything that was on when we grew up.  I also need to point out that the shows you are comparing them to are either from the 50s-late 70s (looney toons) or from the early 90's (tiny toons). 

The only thing the 80's shows had going for them was the intorduction of really great toy products.... err I mean characters..... You know, gijoe, transformers, he-man.... The shows themselves weren't so hot after you take the nostalgia glasses off.  Well except for thundercats... that show was pure win!

Btw... no love for alvin and the chipmunks?  That show, along with looney toons aired pretty much the entire decade!

doot doot do do do doot!

And don't forget the endless disney toons!  Not the new ones they have now that are terribly malformed so that you can use characters from a successful movie, but the originals like duck tales, darkwing duck, gummie bears, rescue rangers and talespin.  Although some of those might be heading into 90's territory.

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2010, 02:58:51 am »
Anyone ever watch Jayce and the wheeled warriors?

Holy smokes! Is that what was? I've never seen the series, but I certainly have some of the toys. I haven't the foggiest how I came about them, but I've got a couple of the "living" cars (the one with the Bola and possibly the saw blade) and at least one of the mechanical "drillers" I saw in that clip. I used to pitch them and my MASK helicopter against my Transformers, Go Bots and the Japanese Mech toys I had.

Wow, I've completely forgotten about those toys until today.

NiN^_^NiN

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2010, 06:44:49 pm »
I was just cleaning up my room as im about to move and found some old toys and they were from the 80's cartoon Dino riders

Anyone remember that one?

TOK

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2024, 05:14:24 pm
  • The Game Always Wins
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2010, 07:55:50 pm »

LOL... I think your reaction simply indicates that you've grown up into an old fart.  Flapjack and Spongebob are quite possibly the best children's (by that I mean intended for those 12 and under) cartoons on television today. 

My kid is in the Spongebob phase, so I'm a captive audience. I've found the first few seasons have some really good episodes. Anything after about 2003 will be mediocre at best, and the new stuff is just awful.

They have basically morphed Spongebobs personality from naive and optimistic in the early ones to him being functionally retarded in the last few seasons. It is a huge shift that ruined the character of the old shows.
The situations have also gone from clever and bizarre to simple gross out stuff. Brains falling out of heads, spitting, bad breath and horrible bathing habits are now in every episode. We watch most of the new ones once, then I just delete them out of the DVR as they're recorded.

I'm jaded about the original topics... Maybe I was a little bit too old, but nearly all of the 80's cartoons were just toy commercials. GI Joe, Transformers, Voltron, He Man, its all just crap to me. As crummy as a lot of the new stuff is, some of it at least tries to be inventive and not just a marketing tool.

NiN^_^NiN

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2010, 06:45:53 pm »
You are correct in the 80's they made toys and found the cheapest and most profitable way to sell the toy they made was to make a cartoon.

Dinoriders is a perfect example they made the toy then thought up a cartoon to help sell them.

Then again i do feel that the cartoons now compared to the 80's are more involving and smarter it seems but thats cause as u said most 80's cartoons were made to be simple to just sell some toys

And i agree on spongebob i watched it now and then when it came out but the character now isn't the same as he originally was.

Wish we could have some good cartoons like Ren and Stimpy and roco's modern life made again for a semi mature audience.

Paladin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 04, 2022, 05:13:19 pm
  • Mmmm llamaburgers!
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2010, 12:30:25 am »
My favorite is one that not many people I talk to remember: Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers. 

IronBuddha

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 04, 2018, 11:36:27 pm
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2010, 03:44:02 am »
How about Silverhawks, The Gobots and Voltron. Those were some of my most favorite.

Silverhawks intro, 20 some years later I still get the song stuck in my head!

Gobots intro

Voltron intro