Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: 80s Cartoons  (Read 10634 times)

Dexter

• Patriotism, the last refuge of the scoundrel. -- Irish, darnit!
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2024, 04:36:19 pm
  • "MAKE POVERTY HISTORY......."
Re: 80s Cartoons
« Reply #40 on: April 19, 2010, 11:32:21 am »
So no love for Danger Mouse then?

Great show....."CRUMBS D.M"

Epyx

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 25, 2023, 07:56:36 pm
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2010, 10:43:28 pm »
What is interesting about the American cartoons here in Canada is that in the 70s and early 80s we watched many of them uncensored. For example the Tom and Jerry shows that had been modified in the US since the early 60s were shown unedited here in Canada...same with many of the other controversial Looney Tunes and Merry Melodies episodes.

Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 25, 2024, 06:17:23 pm
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2010, 01:31:16 am »
Anyone ever watch Jayce and the wheeled warriors?

NiN^_^NiN

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 01, 2020, 10:28:26 pm
  • Oh yeah Baby. I put on my robe and wizard hat
« Reply #43 on: April 22, 2010, 06:32:35 am »
No love for Visionaries: Knights of the Magical Light?

Got of copy of it recently and love it :D

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 02, 2024, 04:09:27 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #44 on: May 02, 2010, 01:29:53 am »
:soapbox: Are you ready? Ahem.. (cough, cough)....mi mi mi mi.... :soapbox:

It may be that some memories are better left alone, but dammit, any one of the series named here that I'm familiar with (and it's quite a lot) would run rings around what's on for children these days.  Has anybody SEEN Cartoon Network lately?  What the hell is Captain Flapjack? Thia show is on at a local pizza palor in town and I really came close to telling them to turn it off if they couldn't do better.  The humor apparently consists of characters throwing up for no apparent reason at all.

Man, and I thought SpongeBob  killed brain cells (well, actually, the cartoon "SpongeBob B.C." does...every time I watch that 7 minute short, I can feel several brain cells jumping to their death, screaming in pain...yet my 7 year old is not bothered by it).

I would rather have hot coals shoved in my eyes,nose and mouth than to EVER see another  episode of FlapJack,  Give me Bugs and Daffy and day over this garbage.  Good god, it makes Pokemon look like - quality wise - Bugs and Daffy in comparison! It makes a class show like Anamaniacs  and "Looney Tunes", plus anything by Tex Avery, look like "The Godfather"!

Some days I just know old Chuck (Jones), Friz (Freleng), and Tex are just spinning around in their graves seeing that their art form has come to this.

LOL... I think your reaction simply indicates that you've grown up into an old fart.  Flapjack and Spongebob are quite possibly the best children's (by that I mean intended for those 12 and under) cartoons on television today.  They are witty and enjoyable enough for adults (or apparently most adults) to watch as well.  Both have won several awards for excellence.  And it's funny that you mention bugs and daffy because both sponngebob and flapjack are HEAVILY influenced visually by the works of tex avery and chuck jones (with a bit of ren and stimpy for good measure).  As a matter of fact, with the exception of show geared towards teens and adults (see the adult swim lineup) it is the highest quality animation on the air today!  Also what you are describing doesn't sound like any episode I've ever seen.  I doubt you've ever actually sit and watched an entire episdoe of flapjack because most adults like it, even those that hate spongebob. 

Mind you I'm a fan of the 80's as well, because I grew up in the 80's, but quality-wise, both in terms of writing and animation, what is on today, as a whole, is FAR SUPERIOR to anything that was on when we grew up.  I also need to point out that the shows you are comparing them to are either from the 50s-late 70s (looney toons) or from the early 90's (tiny toons). 

The only thing the 80's shows had going for them was the intorduction of really great toy products.... err I mean characters..... You know, gijoe, transformers, he-man.... The shows themselves weren't so hot after you take the nostalgia glasses off.  Well except for thundercats... that show was pure win!

Btw... no love for alvin and the chipmunks?  That show, along with looney toons aired pretty much the entire decade!

doot doot do do do doot!

And don't forget the endless disney toons!  Not the new ones they have now that are terribly malformed so that you can use characters from a successful movie, but the originals like duck tales, darkwing duck, gummie bears, rescue rangers and talespin.  Although some of those might be heading into 90's territory.

SavannahLion

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 19, 2015, 02:28:15 am
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2010, 02:58:51 am »
Anyone ever watch Jayce and the wheeled warriors?

Holy smokes! Is that what was? I've never seen the series, but I certainly have some of the toys. I haven't the foggiest how I came about them, but I've got a couple of the "living" cars (the one with the Bola and possibly the saw blade) and at least one of the mechanical "drillers" I saw in that clip. I used to pitch them and my MASK helicopter against my Transformers, Go Bots and the Japanese Mech toys I had.

Wow, I've completely forgotten about those toys until today.

NiN^_^NiN

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2010, 06:44:49 pm »
I was just cleaning up my room as im about to move and found some old toys and they were from the 80's cartoon Dino riders

Anyone remember that one?

TOK

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2024, 05:14:24 pm
  • The Game Always Wins
« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2010, 07:55:50 pm »

LOL... I think your reaction simply indicates that you've grown up into an old fart.  Flapjack and Spongebob are quite possibly the best children's (by that I mean intended for those 12 and under) cartoons on television today. 

My kid is in the Spongebob phase, so I'm a captive audience. I've found the first few seasons have some really good episodes. Anything after about 2003 will be mediocre at best, and the new stuff is just awful.

They have basically morphed Spongebobs personality from naive and optimistic in the early ones to him being functionally retarded in the last few seasons. It is a huge shift that ruined the character of the old shows.
The situations have also gone from clever and bizarre to simple gross out stuff. Brains falling out of heads, spitting, bad breath and horrible bathing habits are now in every episode. We watch most of the new ones once, then I just delete them out of the DVR as they're recorded.

I'm jaded about the original topics... Maybe I was a little bit too old, but nearly all of the 80's cartoons were just toy commercials. GI Joe, Transformers, Voltron, He Man, its all just crap to me. As crummy as a lot of the new stuff is, some of it at least tries to be inventive and not just a marketing tool.

NiN^_^NiN

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2010, 06:45:53 pm »
You are correct in the 80's they made toys and found the cheapest and most profitable way to sell the toy they made was to make a cartoon.

Dinoriders is a perfect example they made the toy then thought up a cartoon to help sell them.

Then again i do feel that the cartoons now compared to the 80's are more involving and smarter it seems but thats cause as u said most 80's cartoons were made to be simple to just sell some toys

And i agree on spongebob i watched it now and then when it came out but the character now isn't the same as he originally was.

Wish we could have some good cartoons like Ren and Stimpy and roco's modern life made again for a semi mature audience.

Paladin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 04, 2022, 05:13:19 pm
  • Mmmm llamaburgers!
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2010, 12:30:25 am »
My favorite is one that not many people I talk to remember: Adventures of the Galaxy Rangers. 

IronBuddha

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 04, 2018, 11:36:27 pm
« Reply #50 on: May 07, 2010, 03:44:02 am »
How about Silverhawks, The Gobots and Voltron. Those were some of my most favorite.

Silverhawks intro, 20 some years later I still get the song stuck in my head!

Gobots intro

Voltron intro