Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: I have now tried Virtual Reality and it is amazing  (Read 33742 times)

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
Re: I have now tried Virtual Reality and it is amazing
« Reply #800 on: July 05, 2018, 05:32:38 pm »
In the Littlstar app, there's a 20 minute video with the Obamas giving a tour of the Whitehouse.  It was actually quite interesting and well done.

:cheers:

fallacy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #801 on: July 06, 2018, 01:18:35 pm »
Knuckles evolution

this controller is going to jump vr another 2 steps into the future.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ad194iqmfE

dkersten

• Offline Offline
  • If you are gonna do it, do it right..
« Reply #802 on: July 06, 2018, 02:42:47 pm »
I went to fire up the Vive the other day and one base station is throwing a fault.  Gimbal wore out and it won't spin up to speed any more.  $90 and 5 weeks if I send it in for repair, $135 for a new one on Amazon, delivered Monday.  If it had been a glitch in the HMD, I would have just put the $135 toward a pro, but since it is a base station, even if I upgrade I need to replace or repair this one... Bummer.  Oh well, I just ordered a new one. 

Also turns out there is a new v2.0 base station for the pro with 12 LED's instead of 9.  It is not compatible with the original vive, and it won't work with a v1.0 (only comes if you buy the complete pro set).  Guessing it makes tracking a bit better (i.e. maintains better visibility with the HMD).

I can still use the vive with one base station, but it loses tracking pretty easily, so action games are out until the new base station arrives.  I'm so tempted to order the pro upgrade but I've been hemorrhaging money with building the theater, I just can't swallow spending 8 bills for a toy I use once every few months...

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #803 on: July 09, 2018, 12:01:07 pm »
I'm so tempted to order the pro upgrade but I've been hemorrhaging money with building the theater, I just can't swallow spending 8 bills for a toy I use once every few months...

If I were in your shoes, I would strongly consider a Samsung Odyssey, which can sometimes be had for $399 on sale.  Depending on the titles you like to play, you might not even miss the lighthouse tracking.  It would give you most of the benefits of the Vive Pro, while you wait for the next generation of devices.  If you end up with two functional lighthouses, it's even possible to use your Vive controls with it.

The 2.0 lighthouses probably aren't more accurate, but they are cheaper to produce and less prone to failure (only one motor.)  They also increase the range, which may or may not be a good thing, if your environment is prone to issues from reflective surfaces.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #804 on: July 09, 2018, 12:12:08 pm »
That controller is pretty cool but I had to chuckle at this, "unique form factor that allows you to let go at any time without dropping the controller."  Wrist strap confirmed.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #805 on: July 09, 2018, 03:10:06 pm »
That controller is pretty cool but I had to chuckle at this, "unique form factor that allows you to let go at any time without dropping the controller."  Wrist strap confirmed.

If you are referring to the "knuckles" controller, it's not a wrist strap.  The latest iteration is actually a well-though-out, adjustable band which extends across the back of the user's hand, and which also positions the controller to take proper advantage of the capacitive finger sensors.  This affixes the controller to your hand, be it open or closed.  A wrist strap just lets a controller dangle when dropped.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #806 on: July 10, 2018, 10:04:14 am »
Ah, yes, sorry.  "Hand strap."  They're $5 on Amazon.

:cheers:

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #807 on: July 10, 2018, 11:44:17 am »
They're $5 on Amazon.

No link = doesn't exist :)

nexusmtz

• Offline Offline
« Reply #808 on: July 11, 2018, 02:12:29 am »
Reminded me a lot of a camcorder strap. They're also commonly used for SLR cameras. Doesn't make it a bad thing, as long as nobody thinks they invented it.

RandyT

• Offline Offline
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #809 on: July 11, 2018, 12:21:45 pm »
I can't believe we are discussing this (thanks Jim.)

They said it was "unique", but that doesn't imply a new invention.  It is unique to the way any other VR controller is currently being used.  Now, if there were other contraptions out there, or even after-market add-ons which affixed a VR controller to the users' hand so absolute positioning isn't lost, I could understand.  But just the fact that they have gone through several iterations of the design just to get it right, should indicate that this isn't your grandma's camcorder strap :)
« Last Edit: July 11, 2018, 12:23:31 pm by RandyT »

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #810 on: July 11, 2018, 12:41:37 pm »
Skryim PSVR is down to $30 on Amazon... I feel like this will be $20 soon, but it's been banned until the dissertation was written...

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31