Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: I have now tried Virtual Reality and it is amazing  (Read 37731 times)

shponglefan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Correct horse battery staple
Re: I have now tried Virtual Reality and it is amazing
« Reply #840 on: September 26, 2018, 07:13:37 pm »
Oculus Quest announced: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2018/09/oculus-quest-a-fully-wireless-vr-headset-shipping-spring-2019-for-399/

Wireless, stand-alone, 6 degrees of freedom, hand tracked controllers. 

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #841 on: September 26, 2018, 10:41:07 pm »
Just more pointless gen 1 crap, I am over it! With hat said I take back what I said about Pimax, apparently they fixed the image screwing problems at the last second and we now about to finally get the first gen 2 VR headsets in a few months!!!!!!!!! It is all about the 150 plus FOV, keep all that 100 FOV gen 1 crap out of my face!

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #842 on: September 27, 2018, 12:59:08 pm »
With the resources Oculus has at it's disposal, they seem to be falling well short of anything enticing for VR enthusiasts.  It takes some serious computing horsepower to deliver truly compelling VR experiences, and rather than dedicating those vast resources to rapidly developing technologies which improve the user experience while at the same time reducing, or at least maintaining the level of those burdens, they seem to be focusing on portability and things which go hand-in-hand with the FB business model.  I don't think most honest VR enthusiasts will continue to consider them to be serious players as the technology marches forward.

In the meantime, Pimax is poised to eat both their and HTC's collective lunches in that regard.  And this from a tiny, previously unknown Chinese company.  If history is any indicator, they will probably do it at a lower price point as well, especially when the intrusive data collection subsidies present with other units are taken into consideration.

fallacy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #843 on: September 27, 2018, 05:33:30 pm »
Oculus wants to make getting and playing VR as frictionless as possible to attract the mass market; they are not wrong but the problem is that VR is still not good enough for the mass market, so just making it more convenient is not really going to help much. it's is not even that convenient it will just be more irating in other ways like charging the device, drive space, the extra weight all for an inferior experience that you could have just gotten on the Oculus over the last 3 years.

It sounds like they are working on something special for their gen 2, 140 FOV with eye tracking for some kind of foveated rendering but we are not going to see that in well over a year.

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
  • Correct horse battery staple
« Reply #844 on: September 27, 2018, 08:47:17 pm »
In the meantime, Pimax is poised to eat both their and HTC's collective lunches in that regard.

Time will tell. The big question mark is how well they do with meeting demand, quality control, aftermarket support, etc.

This is something where even an established manufacturing company like HTC has struggled with when it comes to the Vive.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #845 on: October 05, 2018, 08:33:14 pm »
Someone pony up $40 for Astro Bot...

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31