Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up --- Bug Reports --- Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: ami-man's advice on Rowe Ami jukeboxes  (Read 119322 times)

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:14:51 am
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: ami-man's advice on Rowe Ami jukeboxes
« Reply #760 on: November 19, 2019, 09:32:42 am »
It is in docx format which I cannot upload here.
You can upload a .zip or .rar file containing the .docx file.   ;D

Scott

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 04, 2019, 11:43:42 am
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #761 on: November 19, 2019, 10:00:15 am »
you can zip/rar/7z the file and then upload it here without problems (size must be under 4mb)

you could also export your document as a PDF in ms orfice and upload that.

dreay

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 24, 2019, 08:46:06 pm
  • old electronics, yes please.
« Reply #762 on: November 23, 2019, 06:49:25 am »
Hey all, long time guest, first time poster in this forum.
My labor of love is my Rowe R1/2. Found her in the back of a mates garage. Pub fresh with a layer of storage dust. Nothing worked.

So far I've rebuilt the PSU, attended to the computers, serviced the mechanism, etc. Now she turns on, selects a record, plays it and returns it. Beautifully.

However I'm yet to get sound out of her for more than a couple of records. This amp is just something I can't get my head around. At this point the problem lays with the driver boards (402-06316). Both fuses where gone when I got to it and showed signs of liquid damage. So i pulled them out and replaced the caps and diodes. Everything else tested ok except the R24 trimpots (shorted). So replaced. New output transistors sourced (MJE6041, MJE6042) and installed.

No level of tinkering has made this work. I don't understand the effect the R24 trimpots have on this circuit, but i know its substantial. Can anyone offer advice on these boards? Do i need to bias the new MJEs? How? What should R24 be set to? I've only got a few sets of MJEs left, and even less hair.

Any help would be appreciated. Cheers, Danny - from Australia.
well i'm still trying.

Cruiseomatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 04, 2019, 05:33:11 pm
« Reply #763 on: November 23, 2019, 08:13:31 am »
Ami-man, If someone is resurrecting a MM3 back from death after being abandoned in a barn for 20 years, What advice would you give them?
The amp is completely dead and shows evidence of prior repairs "attempted" but were very sloppy. One driver board has a transistor with a broke leg and blown large resistor with a couple traces lifted at the slide connect, a resistor on a 4 point bus bar under a transistor gets very hot, close to the transformer in what looks to be the power circuit it looks like a resistor was removed and bypassed. It is a mess. Wish I could be more specific or provide values but not at currently. Also unable to upload pictures as they always fail "security check".
Waiting for the service manual to come in hoping it has a schematic for the amp as well as wiring layout. Oddly enough, I have a fully populated relay strip marked Phonovue but don't have the player nor is it mounted. Just laying there.

Bingle

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 01, 2019, 02:00:52 am
  • Practitioner of the Electro-Mechanical Arts
« Reply #764 on: November 24, 2019, 07:56:12 pm »
Rowe-AMI Model 90...

Can you supply instructions for disabling the 30 minute autoplay feature (tries to stimulate use by playing a random song after 30 minutes of inactivity)?

When the day comes that you are asked who the first cloned dead person should be, PLEASE say "Nikola Tesla" on the off chance his clone would be able to finish the original Tesla's work on wireless power transmission. California really needs that now.

ami-man

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2019, 09:31:52 am
« Reply #765 on: November 27, 2019, 06:25:14 am »
Ami-man, If someone is resurrecting a MM3 back from death after being abandoned in a barn for 20 years, What advice would you give them?
The amp is completely dead and shows evidence of prior repairs "attempted" but were very sloppy. One driver board has a transistor with a broke leg and blown large resistor with a couple traces lifted at the slide connect, a resistor on a 4 point bus bar under a transistor gets very hot, close to the transformer in what looks to be the power circuit it looks like a resistor was removed and bypassed. It is a mess. Wish I could be more specific or provide values but not at currently. Also unable to upload pictures as they always fail "security check".
Waiting for the service manual to come in hoping it has a schematic for the amp as well as wiring layout. Oddly enough, I have a fully populated relay strip marked Phonovue but don't have the player nor is it mounted. Just laying there.

Hello Cruiseomatic,

My advice is not to waste time on the MM-3 amplifier, instead locate the 64 watt 2179A amplifier (601-02179 USA).

Fully strip down the mechanism /carousel and check for worn parts (bearings in the turntable motor & rubber mounts,), trunion & cam gears and associated gripper bow assembly, transfer motor, transfer link, crank & pin assembly (check the long pin, these do come loose).
Remove all old lunbrication and oil very sparingly (usually one drop) to motor oil wicks and idler wheel linkage pivot points and idler wheel, also one spot of oil on the turntable shaft. graphite gease should be used on the tone arm shaft & pillar and high melting point grease in the trunion casting pivot sockets.

Set all the adjustments on the mechanism as per any 1100 mechanism manual.

Regards
Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

ami-man

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 02, 2019, 09:31:52 am
« Reply #766 on: November 27, 2019, 06:33:37 am »
Rowe-AMI Model 90...

Can you supply instructions for disabling the 30 minute autoplay feature (tries to stimulate use by playing a random song after 30 minutes of inactivity)?

Hello Bingle,

Check in your manual in the programming section:-
Enter into programming location 32 set this to 0 and then press poular button to set it.

Regards
Alan Hood
ami-man
UK

Cruiseomatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 04, 2019, 05:33:11 pm
« Reply #767 on: December 04, 2019, 05:33:11 pm »
Got it all cleaned and re-assembled but having a problem with the search unit  The plungers aren't wanting to actuate the pins  If I ground the leads on the wiper unit the plungers work great. Some times they work but usually don't. Service manual isn't much help unless I'm missing something. Also trying to adjust the mechanism where the bow isn't slamming down when setting down.