Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: My arcade setup... Overkill??? probably so!  (Read 48728 times)

crtrrss

• Trade Count: (0)
My arcade setup... Overkill??? probably so!
« on: February 13, 2013, 11:35:54 pm »
Ok... ive been building an arcade machine over the last few months and i created the ultimate setup... I have a 1u rack server with windows server 2012 in my closet that broadcasts a massive hyperspin setup over LAN so i can use it from any computer in my house! i ordered a collection of 17000 games from 20 consoles to go with it! also, ill add a custom .exe to hyperspin that'll be linked to my music library which is also broadcasted over LAN. My actual arcade machine has all LED buttons and joysticks, a modified super high impact cabinet with a soon-to-be custom marquee and bezel, and a lcd on the control panel that displays the info about what game is playing and other random stuff like my email! Overkill........ I think so! ;)

chopperthedog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:05:03 pm
Re: My arcade setup... Overkill??? probably so!
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2013, 11:52:10 pm »
Pics or it never happened.

good day.

Nephasth

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2013, 11:56:58 pm »

crtrrss

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2013, 12:04:50 am »
heres pics of the lcd and the original machine (it was a super high impact to neo geo conversion)... ill take more pics tomorrow.... crap, it wont let me upload the pictures

crtrrss

Sjaak

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 27, 2024, 11:32:28 am
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2013, 05:02:23 am »
My actual arcade machine has all LED buttons and joysticks

I don't see LED buttons and joysticks. Did you post the wrong picture of your cabinet?

Acids

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 13, 2023, 05:50:45 am
  • Bring It.. Smart arse!
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2013, 06:56:03 am »
I have a 1u rack server with windows server 2012 in my closet that broadcasts a massive hyperspin setup over LAN so i can use it from any computer in my house!
Sounds interesting!!
Can you explain in more detail how you achieved this?  sounds like a great idea for the flat im in?

Dawgz Rule

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:08:42 am
  • The more people I meet, the more I like my dogs
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2013, 07:10:32 am »
Hey, what happened with the production run of custom LCD panels?  Chinese back out of the deal?

crtrrss

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2013, 08:31:13 am »
Hey, what happened with the production run of custom LCD panels?  Chinese back out of the deal?

there is a chinese holiday right now so i have to wait for that to end for them to respond

My actual arcade machine has all LED buttons and joysticks

I don't see LED buttons and joysticks. Did you post the wrong picture of your cabinet?

That's the original pic.... i painted it all black and made a new cp for the machine

Nephasth

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2013, 08:57:32 am »
Let's a pic of how it stands now.

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 29, 2024, 07:09:08 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2013, 10:09:41 am »
What he said.

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2013, 03:04:34 pm »
 :laugh2: :laugh2: Come on bust out the Camera and show us some pic's (Prove the unbelievers wrong)

@ Acid, If I was going to what is described I would use HyperV & VMs which can be accessed by any machine in the house. To be honest I don't know how well it would work but with the way you can setup VM's nowadays with all sorts of hardware acceleration I can't think of a real reason why this wouldn't be possible.  You could then just build a portable control panel that you can pop on your desk or lap and away you go. Talking of 1U servers I really must remember to grab one from work at some point and get rid of this noisy old dekstop.  I figure a server under the stairs and a couple of dumb terminals around the house would do the job perfectly.

crtrrss

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2013, 04:36:45 pm »
:laugh2: :laugh2: Come on bust out the Camera and show us some pic's (Prove the unbelievers wrong)

@ Acid, If I was going to what is described I would use HyperV & VMs which can be accessed by any machine in the house. To be honest I don't know how well it would work but with the way you can setup VM's nowadays with all sorts of hardware acceleration I can't think of a real reason why this wouldn't be possible.  You could then just build a portable control panel that you can pop on your desk or lap and away you go. Talking of 1U servers I really must remember to grab one from work at some point and get rid of this noisy old dekstop.  I figure a server under the stairs and a couple of dumb terminals around the house would do the job perfectly.

well you understand how it works!! good for you! i am going to use a home ftp-like program for the hyperspin and windows media player or xmbc for my media. I was going to use hyperv, but i wanted to access it from any independent computer in my house with ease so the home ftp works best. also, good idea about the portable control panels! I will make a few of those with usb and a few with wireless thin clients for regular tv access

crtrrss

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2013, 04:46:42 pm »
http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a505/crtrrss/IMG_0240_zps6a46e7bf.jpg

http://i1281.photobucket.com/albums/a505/crtrrss/IMG_0241_zps3cae7d07.jpg

Here's what i have so far ( I already have t-molding and stuff like that.... all i need now is for my rom collection to ship and a screen )

Nephasth

« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2013, 04:47:24 pm »
The title of this thread is misleading, nothing is setup yet.

crtrrss

« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2013, 04:50:55 pm »
oh yes sorry it should be called my arcade project

crtrrss

« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2013, 04:56:49 pm »
oh does anybody know of a way to keep a server cool?? i keep it in my closet because its the only place where it wouldn't look completely weird and it gets hot as balls in there after a few hours of the server running. anybody know a good way to fix this??

Drnick

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2013, 04:59:51 pm »
Yay @ Nephasth for his 3000th post :)

:woot :pics

A modified super high impact cabinet,   Come now that's a little bit of an overstatement.
Unless you really mean that it is - a modified "Super High Impact" Cabinet although I have never seen "Super High Impact" the game. 
Damn, there really is a game called that  :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:  I kid, I kid.   Just one question,  Why the overhang on the left and right?
You have the 2 players squished up in the middle and a huge amount of real estate to the left and right.  Are you going to be fitting motorised cup holders or something?.

Oh and on the server issue, Um ventilation, Lots of it.  The only thing effective is air conditioning.  But at the least get some air circulating under there, maybe a vent in the bottom stair and then a vent into the upstairs hall if possible. (Hey it keeps the hall warm for free too). That was based on the assumption the closet is under the stairs.  If not the answers the same, ventilation and air movement.

Nephasth

« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2013, 05:05:47 pm »
Yay @ Nephasth for his 3000th post :)

:woot

Dammit, and wasted too. I've spent too much time around these forums... :-[

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:59:06 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2013, 05:08:01 pm »
Just hire the Chinese guys who are building the monitors to come out and rig up your house. Problem solved.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

crtrrss

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2013, 05:47:03 pm »
i was thinking either iphone docks or something else. also, the chinese are on a holiday right now so nothing can happen with the monitors

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2013, 05:48:28 pm »
 :gobama

crtrrss

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2013, 05:49:50 pm »
also, the led buttons are not in the picture because i plan to give the machine another layer of spray paint

drventure

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 06:53:06 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2013, 05:51:19 pm »
Maybe you'll see some benefit that I don't but in all seriousness, streaming arcade games just sounds, meh.

Put em in a decent Mame cab, or maybe two (one for horz games, one for vertical). Throw in a few pins if you like that (or a digital pin, dang I need to build one of those someday). Done.

Putting emulated console games up on the tv? Ok, that might be cool. I've never been a console gamer though, so I'm not going to comment one way or the other there.

As for music. Put your mp3's and vids on a central server, add JRMedia Center or Plex, or maybe XBMC, and you can stream your music to any device you'd like, though I only ever used it to play music by the pool.

None-the-less, pics of the process is always appreciated around these parts!

crtrrss

« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2013, 06:10:05 pm »
well, ill upload more pics in a few days. i need perfect weather for the spraypaint to dry and since i live in Alabama, perfect weather is kinda rare. In most parts of the year, its either too hot or too cold or to misty (today) or too humid or too dry, but once the machine has a full paintjob, ill put the buttons in and send pics

Dawgz Rule

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2013, 09:02:49 pm »
Just hire the Chinese guys who are building the monitors to come out and rig up your house. Problem solved.

:cheers:

crtrrss

« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2013, 11:44:00 pm »
well sadly, the chinese dont take very many holidays, but the ones that they do take are VERY long

crtrrss

« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2013, 11:49:34 pm »
oh and i finally found a use for my old iphone! all of my idevices are jailbroken  so they all have the mame app. I was inspired my the iphone mame cabinet so i decided that im going to have a "Wiimote" hooked up as a control panel to the Mame4all app and i have a canle that hooks iphone up via usb and av to my tv. So.... wireless cp + jailbroken iphone + 55in tv= awesome!

Dawgz Rule

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: February 15, 2013, 06:28:49 am »
Awesome idea... I was thinking of doing the same with all of my jailbroken fleshlights that are all over the house.  I can then use my Cray XE6m Supercomputer to stream all over the house.  Of course I will want dig up the spare Nexus 7000 switch out of the garage to ensure good streaming quality.  Last but not least, as soon as those Chinese get off holiday, I will be able to display these on the full wall size lcd panels for around $200.

jammin0

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 13, 2023, 08:15:17 pm
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2013, 09:37:43 am »
Awesome idea... I was thinking of doing the same with all of my jailbroken fleshlights that are all over the house.  I can then use my Cray XE6m Supercomputer to stream all over the house.  Of course I will want dig up the spare Nexus 7000 switch out of the garage to ensure good streaming quality.  Last but not least, as soon as those Chinese get off holiday, I will be able to display these on the full wall size lcd panels for around $200.
You can dawg all you want but I have already lost 5 mins of my life staring at that avatar.  That's worth some cred.

yotsuya

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2013, 10:30:21 am »
 :laugh2:

TOK

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2024, 05:14:24 pm
  • The Game Always Wins
« Reply #31 on: February 15, 2013, 11:49:58 am »
Why you guys so negative?

PS: Check out my Ferrari!

Dawgz Rule

• Offline Offline
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2013, 12:59:06 pm »
I'm not being negative.   Jail breaking a fleshlight isn't exactly easy.   

Actually, sort of reminds me of a network engineer that worked for me.    Want a $20 Xbox from "his friend" at Microsoft?  He had you covered.  Need a bomgar box for your home?  He could get you that too.  Want to use his timeshare in Florida?  Sure thing.   Want a 5 day hopper pass at Disney?  He has an uncle.....

I will say that one day he did bring in an Xbox (new in the box) and gave it to one of our desktop techs for $20.  As best as we can tell, he was getting so much grief about that one that he actually went out and purchased one to save face.  After that, he said that Microsoft no longer offered them to employees at that price. 

a1pharm

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2024, 08:25:50 pm
  • Planning and preparation prevents problems
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2013, 07:12:01 am »

:lol

Acids

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 13, 2023, 05:50:45 am
  • Bring It.. Smart arse!
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2013, 07:49:07 am »
 [/quote]
well you understand how it works!! good for you! i am going to use a home ftp-like program for the hyperspin and windows media player or xmbc for my media. I was going to use hyperv, but i wanted to access it from any independent computer in my house with ease so the home ftp works best. also, good idea about the portable control panels! I will make a few of those with usb and a few with wireless thin clients for regular tv access
[/quote]

what do you mean ftp-like program.  File Transfer Protocol ??? 

Please explain?   running vms and stuff sounds good but from my experience its just not suitable for mame / emulation.

..........The comments from many are quite discouraging,    WTF people grow up!!!
please ignore them.  if you have a good idea please share it.  if its valid and works then show them up as the fools.

TOK

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2024, 05:14:24 pm
  • The Game Always Wins
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2013, 08:11:10 am »
..........The comments from many are quite discouraging,    WTF people grow up!!!
please ignore them.  if you have a good idea please share it.  if its valid and works then show them up as the fools.

Well, he really set himself up for the comments by overselling his progress in the topic name and early part of the post. People here have spent hundreds of hours building cabinets, gone on 10 hour road trips for games and gutted basements for the hobby.

You just don't start claiming what you're doing is "overkill" to people that have done those things when all you have to show for it is a stripped cabinet.

Meph

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 13, 2024, 08:04:40 pm
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2013, 08:31:09 am »
Spring Festival:  It falls on Feb. 10, 2013.  The holiday is from Feb. 9 to 15.

Holiday over, let the flood of LCDs begin! ::)

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:47:17 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2013, 01:50:00 pm »
you dont FTP into a desktop, you RDP / MSTSC into it. He could run Server 2012 on a beefy system then use a thin client and the like to console session into it. But honestly its a pretty unneeded and complex (and costly if you don't pirate licenses, Server 2012 is around $700) set up when you can scrap together a passable PC and run everything locally. I mean he could even set up a file share on the server and store the roms there if hard drive space is an issue, but seriously, hard drives arent that much and you dont need Server to share folders on your network.

So overkill software set up on an under whelming cabinet.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

EightBySix

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 25, 2021, 01:50:16 pm
« Reply #38 on: February 16, 2013, 02:14:16 pm »
You can dawg all you want but I have already lost 5 mins of my life staring at that avatar.  That's worth some cred.

+1

Wtf is it, anyway? Got a kind of 'adventure time' feel...

jammin0

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 13, 2023, 08:15:17 pm
« Reply #39 on: February 16, 2013, 02:44:12 pm »

Wtf is it, anyway? Got a kind of 'adventure time' feel...
Ok, I just googled it.  It's called a bunchie.  Cross between a llama and a lima bean?
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/bunchie