Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Done ! ...... steps to safely remove a new 19" monitor in ms pacman videos !  (Read 6644 times)

ctozzi

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 24, 2022, 01:05:42 pm
I have never removed or changed the monitor in any of my games, due to fear of electricity. So This new Ms pacman definetly needs a new monitor and this is the one I'm thinking about.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=120268028744&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=002
So with that, Can someone do a video or a picture tutorial on EVERY step needed to swap a new monitor in the dedicated ms. pacman. The monitor has severe burn-in and just looks crappy all around. Not sure on the chassis either never touched one before. So any help is greatly welcome. BTW it had a cap kit on the pcb a few months back.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2008, 02:29:01 pm by ctozzi »
Current Cab's
Dedicated Killer Instinct 1
Mortal Kombat 1,2,3
Terminator 2
Rampage WT
WWF Wrestlemania
MAME MK1
Zelda Theme Bartop

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm

Wow that's a seriously large request.   :o

RayB

• I'm not wearing pants! HA!
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 12, 2024, 11:26:01 pm
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
WIKI
GOOGLE
err what else?

I mean seriously, did you LOOK at the monitor before making such a demand? Unplug the machine. unplug all wires hooked up to the monitor. Remove 4 nuts/bolts and you're good to go.
NO MORE!!

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2024, 10:11:33 am
Don't forget to wear your aluminum foil hat!

I would just leave it unplugged for a few days and then wear some gloves or something when handling it and stay away from the back.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline

Dude!  Aluminum foil is conductive... he has to wear a rubber hat.  Maybe a condom or a latex glove on his head.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2024, 10:11:33 am
One of these should do the trick:

ctozzi

• Offline Offline
All very funny. So seriously just unplug everything, unbolt and carry away ? Then put in new monitor replug cables and bolts. Done ?
Current Cab's
Mortal Kombat 1,2,3
Terminator 2
Rampage WT
WWF Wrestlemania
MAME MK1
Zelda Theme Bartop

Jack Burton

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 26, 2023, 11:32:31 pm
NO!

read all the stickies in the monitor forum about discharging and handlin a monitor before you start with anything.

ctozzi

• Offline Offline
thanks i'm just worried about the discharging but i'll get er done.
Current Cab's
Mortal Kombat 1,2,3
Terminator 2
Rampage WT
WWF Wrestlemania
MAME MK1
Zelda Theme Bartop

Necro

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 29, 2022, 08:22:22 pm
  • Building a 'Classic' MAME Cab
Whoa whoa whoa....discharge/handling instructions hold true if your not touching any parts of the actual monitor???

I'm removing a monitor (condition: unknown) from a cab and it had a board holding up the metal...chassis?  for it.  I've only handled the wood and took it out and put it on my workbench with the chassis holding it up with the wood/screen face up.

Was I lucky or am I right in thinking don't touch the electronics = don't die?

(Semi-related: If I sell the monitor, do I sell the metal chassis also or everything BUT the metal chassis?)

Thenasty

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:20:21 pm
    • Thenasty's Arcademania Horizontal/Vertical monitor setup.
you  guys forgot to mentioned the most important one. " Don't stick your tongue or finger when you happen to see a HOLE " Just in case the anode cap fell off  >:D
Thenasty's Arcademania Horizontal/Vertical setup.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=26696.0

Free VGA Breakout Cable
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=38228.0

Ultimate All in One Coin Mech write up (Make your own)
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=19200.0

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2023, 09:51:57 am
  • Arcade Repair in New England
    • Arcade Game and Other Coin-Op Projects
NO!

read all the stickies in the monitor forum about discharging and handlin a monitor before you start with anything.

YES!

You don't have to discharge a monitor to remove it.

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
Oh yes: I've not had to remove a monitor from a Ms Pac-Man before, but if it's anything like a Pac-Man or Galaxian you have to unbolt the mounting hardware, then slide the monitor out the back.  Then you can remove the mounting hardware, put it on the new monitor, and slide it back into the cab.

Jack Burton

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 26, 2023, 11:32:31 pm
You don't have to discharge a monitor to remove it, in fact it's probably more dangerous on a lot of cabinets, but it's just plain irresponsible to not do it after you remove it. 

And I reiterate, he needs to read all the information in the monitor forum stickies before he even tries to remove anything. 

If he touches something on the monitor and it shocks him, no, he probably won't die, but he will drop the monitor and either destroy it, or break his foot, or worse. 
« Last Edit: October 04, 2008, 06:47:07 pm by Jack Burton »

ratzz

• Trade Count: (0)
Came across this the other day that may help ... looks bloody scary to me!

[youtube]http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=WX43sT0hMJk[/youtube]

ChadTower

• Offline Offline

Someone who knows what they are doing does not need to discharge a monitor to swap it.

Someone who does not know what they are doing should learn to discharge a monitor for the specific reason that it teaches them what parts they should not touch while the monitor holds a charge.  You do not want to learn this by trial and error.

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
You don't have to discharge a monitor to remove it, in fact it's probably more dangerous on a lot of cabinets, but it's just plain irresponsible to not do it after you remove it. 

You only have to discharge a monitor if you're going to work on it.

The other things you said are good advice, though.  Learn what's safe to touch, and what's not.

In that video he discharges several times, but in reality you only need to do it once before popping off the anode cap.  But I sure as heck would discharge the tube again before putting it back on.

Ninten-doh

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 31, 2017, 10:37:18 am
  • I promise sweetie, this is my last cab purchase
Oh yes: I've not had to remove a monitor from a Ms Pac-Man before, but if it's anything like a Pac-Man or Galaxian you have to unbolt the mounting hardware, then slide the monitor out the back.  Then you can remove the mounting hardware, put it on the new monitor, and slide it back into the cab.

Excellent timing on this Peale.  I was just staring at my Pac project yesterday wondering if the monitor comes out the front or back.  Still wish I got that Pac cab Chad was getting rid of instead of my water damaged, Arkanoid convert. 

mountain

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 11:42:28 am
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
When removing a monitor for a swap, you need to worry more about lifting techniques to protect your back that getting shocked. This is assuming that common sense is being used and you don't go grabbing the circuit board or anode while lifting it.

As stated above, I don't see the need to discharge the monitor unless it is being worked on.

ctozzi

• Offline Offline
Well the monitor is out without incident. I di discharge the monitor but never heard that "pop". It is now in the trash aas the new one should be here next week. Thanks for all the input it was helpful. I'm doing a video series on youtube to show the progress....
Current Cab's
Mortal Kombat 1,2,3
Terminator 2
Rampage WT
WWF Wrestlemania
MAME MK1
Zelda Theme Bartop

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2018, 01:56:39 am
  • A Suzo stick is a joy forever...
I agree with Chad and Peale. Discharging is only needed when working on the monitor itself.

Also, if you buy a cab that's been turned off for months or years, you're not going to find any remaining voltages in there. But you'll have to be sure about how long it has been without power !

Anyway, I like the video, keep it up and open a thread about the restoration in the Restoration section !

SirPeale

• Green Mountain Man
  • Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
BEFORE YOU TOSS YOUR OLD MONITOR...see if anyone on here would like it.  There are a ton of people that prefer the old monitors.

Failing that...make sure and recycle it properly.  They contain high amounts of lead.

venkman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 28, 2013, 02:44:28 am
that's cool you are making a video series. i'm gonna subscribe!

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
When removing a monitor for a swap, you need to worry more about lifting techniques to protect your back that getting shocked. This is assuming that common sense is being used and you don't go grabbing the circuit board or anode while lifting it.

Common sense doesn't apply to someone who has no idea what they are looking at.  They don't know enough to have very much of it.  How does a total newbie know the anode cap is dangerous.  It's rubber, for god's sake.  How does the newbie know the chassis isn't live?  It's metal... so wouldn't common sense say don't touch the metal parts but the rubber part is safe?

(note:  that would be very wrong)

mountain

• Offline Offline
    • Mountain Jukeboxes

Common sense doesn't apply to someone who has no idea what they are looking at. 

I have never removed or changed the monitor in any of my games, due to fear of electricity.

Common sense would tell the guy who is afraid of getting shocked to stay away from grabbing the circuit board or anything attached to it.

I think it is safe to say he knew enough to be careful. Obviously he was concerned enough to check here first, which is good. IMO, one has a better chance of getting shocked trying to discharge the monitor than simply removing it from the cabinet.

RayB

• Offline Offline
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
It is now in the trash aas the new one should be here next week.
  :dizzy:
NO MORE!!

ctozzi

• Offline Offline
geez what a can of worms i opened up here, I dropped the old monitor off at a specialty recycling center by my office today. And yes I did realize not to touch anything metal and rubber was ok. I think anyone else who wants to call out on this can, I got it done and those who helped thanks.
here is the 2nd video so far.
Current Cab's
Mortal Kombat 1,2,3
Terminator 2
Rampage WT
WWF Wrestlemania
MAME MK1
Zelda Theme Bartop

ratzz

Great video ctozzi -- I love to watch these ... Especially restorations - I wish more of them were made.

Good job so far, and good luck with the rest. Can't wait to see more.

Ratzz  :cheers:

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
Common sense would tell the guy who is afraid of getting shocked to stay away from grabbing the circuit board or anything attached to it.

Really?  That thought process, and the same physical handling, would get him hurt if he were decasing a TV.  Same "common sense" thought process, right?  Just don't touch the PCBs?  The difference there is that on a lot of CRT TVs the mounting bracket is live.

RayB

• Offline Offline
  • There's my post
    • RayB.com
geez what a can of worms i opened up here, I dropped the old monitor off at a specialty recycling center by my office today.
yeah no problem. it's just that people like to fix em rather than toss em. Sometimes all it takes is a $12 cap kit to revive a dead monitor (or even less when it's a fuse or single transistor, etc, etc). You could have sold it for $25.
NO MORE!!

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
Great project!  Can't wait to see the rest!

~ D
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

mountain

• Offline Offline
    • Mountain Jukeboxes

Really?  That thought process, and the same physical handling, would get him hurt if he were decasing a TV.  Same "common sense" thought process, right?  Just don't touch the PCBs?  The difference there is that on a lot of CRT TVs the mounting bracket is live.

So you think that one could be shocked by a monitors stored high voltage, just by touching the frame of a one of these monitors?

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
So you think that one could be shocked by a monitors stored high voltage, just by touching the frame of a one of these monitors?

That's not my point.  My point is not whether or not you could be, my point is that the newbie has no way of knowing, so your common sense assumption isn't going to keep that person safe.  They just don't know enough to have common sense about the device.

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2018, 01:56:39 am
  • A Suzo stick is a joy forever...
geez what a can of worms i opened up here, I dropped the old monitor off at a specialty recycling center by my office today.
yeah no problem. it's just that people like to fix em rather than toss em. Sometimes all it takes is a $12 cap kit to revive a dead monitor (or even less when it's a fuse or single transistor, etc, etc). You could have sold it for $25.

Did you see the burn-in ? Pretty bad. But yes the chassis should have been saved. Then again, I tossed the WG4500 on my Centipede as well. That was my first serious restoration too. You learn things along the way.....

the720k

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 04, 2019, 02:31:47 am
ctozzi: Excellent work so far!   :cheers:

Really looking forward to seeing your next video on removing the old and installing the new monitor.  It's funny that I found this thread, because today I just helped my friend move the same cabinet he bought into his garage.  The monitor's dead, and one of our biggest concerns was to remove the monitor.  Still trying to talk him out of using a 19" TV and talk him into using a REAL arcade monitor though.  ;)

Keep up the good work!
My Machines:  Sega Top Skater | Vertical 25" JAMMA cabinet (Raiden Fighters II / 60-in-1 currently) |  Xevious (Restored)  |  3-Player MAME in a previously MA(i)MEd Beast Busters cab (In progress)  |  19" upright 2-player MAME cab w/light gun  |  Pac-Man Cocktail running MAME (built from scratch - no original harmed in the making) : http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=64599.0

Kevin Mullins

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 01, 2021, 01:29:34 pm
    • Me on Myspace
The monitor's dead, and one of our biggest concerns was to remove the monitor.  Still trying to talk him out of using a 19" TV and talk him into using a REAL arcade monitor though.

Question is does he plan on restoring/reviving it or what?
A plain ol' TV won't work in an original Ms. Pac .....
Not a technician . . . . just a DIY'er.

ctozzi

• Offline Offline
well it'all done and sold, so it worked fine and now i know how to remove/replace an arcade monitor. I just got a new 25" for my MK and it is beautiful. Thanks for all the input here.
Current Cab's
Mortal Kombat 1,2,3
Terminator 2
Rampage WT
WWF Wrestlemania
MAME MK1
Zelda Theme Bartop