Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Legacy Engineering Atari USB controls...  (Read 10802 times)

Xiaou2

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 12, 2023, 05:41:19 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
Re: Legacy Engineering Atari USB controls...
« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2009, 05:17:19 pm »
unless you need to use diagonals

Strange that you say that.   In order to pass a high level in Maze Hunter for the SMS,
you had one square to orient, and then had to make a perfect transition diagonally
two squares,  and time the jump across the chasm.

I couldnt do it on an sms pad but maybe once in 40 tries.   Yet the epyx made the
task actually achievable.  Hard, but not utterly impossible like the standard d-pad.

I used one of these with my Atari 600, Commodore 64, and Amiga's back in the day. That was a great little joystick.

Hell Yeah :)    I bought it for my c-64,  and used it on the Amiga, and Sms.

Another cool little gamepad was packed with a neo geo i think.  I had a pc version
that was similar too.   The flat top D-Pad used micros rather than the pressure pads. Made it much more accurate and enjoyable, as the feeling to these was a bit better.

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2018, 01:56:39 am
  • A Suzo stick is a joy forever...
« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2009, 05:20:21 pm »
Personally, I cant believe anyone would want one of these.

They were wretchedly horrible joysticks.   Ate up the hands, were sloppy and
inaccurate, stiff, and the internal pads wear and cause intermittent connections.

You had to use one hand to fire and hold the thing... and so it was very clumsy
and awkward.

Totally agreed. The first one broke about a week after the warranty expired (6 months only, that's not even allowed anymore here). The 2nd went 2 weeks later.

I prefered the Suzo as it was SO true to the arcade. I had (actually, still have) the leaf-switch version which works great until this day:

They USB-ed and "repro-ed" these too and DO NOT BUY it.
http://www.plug-ins.net/product.php?productid=340&cat=228&page=1

It sucks totally in every possible way. The only suggestion I could make is use the USB interface to put it in an original if you must.

Bluedeath

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2014, 11:20:09 am
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2009, 03:46:01 am »
unless you need to use diagonals

Strange that you say that.   In order to pass a high level in Maze Hunter for the SMS,
you had one square to orient, and then had to make a perfect transition diagonally
two squares,  and time the jump across the chasm.

I couldnt do it on an sms pad but maybe once in 40 tries.   Yet the epyx made the
task actually achievable.  Hard, but not utterly impossible like the standard d-pad.

I used one of these with my Atari 600, Commodore 64, and Amiga's back in the day. That was a great little joystick.

Hell Yeah :)    I bought it for my c-64,  and used it on the Amiga, and Sms.

Another cool little gamepad was packed with a neo geo i think.  I had a pc version
that was similar too.   The flat top D-Pad used micros rather than the pressure pads. Made it much more accurate and enjoyable, as the feeling to these was a bit better.

I dont know the latest (or the US) versions but the versions that i had of the speedking (single button atari standard)  diagonal arc of engage was not more than 5°~ 7°  you had to be very precise. I had 3 of them and all shared this "problem".
I give up  fighting keyboard dislexia, I lost.

Bluedeath

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 19, 2014, 11:20:09 am
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2009, 04:01:29 am »

It sucks totally in every possible way. The only suggestion I could make is use the USB interface to put it in an original if you must.

The reissue is bad not THAT bad (but still light years away from the real thing) and for 9€ (around 15$)  one can't ask for too much, the only thing that i didnt understand i s why they put a ten ton spring for the centering, that stik used to play decathlon (or track and field) will make you use the same amount of calories as you were really running the marathon.
I give up  fighting keyboard dislexia, I lost.

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2009, 09:05:19 pm »
I remember the atari sticks having very little throw and being quite accurate. Regardless, and pulling the thread back on track, I wanted to check 'em out. Curiously, I got an email back in a couple/few hours that day. They asked for a copy of my transaction. I sent this via email. Haven't heard anything since.
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2018, 01:56:39 am
  • A Suzo stick is a joy forever...
« Reply #45 on: June 29, 2009, 02:25:26 am »

The reissue is bad not THAT bad (but still light years away from the real thing) and for 9€ (around 15$)  one can't ask for too much, the only thing that i didnt understand i s why they put a ten ton spring for the centering, that stik used to play decathlon (or track and field) will make you use the same amount of calories as you were really running the marathon.
The only thing ? Let me start: The buttons don't even stay straight because of the way they put them on the microswitches.They will allways hang to a side which gives it a ridiculous cheap look. Also rhe buttons don't even look the same and have a flat top instead of concave. The microswitches are the hardest switches I've _ever_ come across. I couldn't play it for longer than 5 minutes untill getting very tired of it (besides being totally annoyed by it).

The overall construction is just cheap and flimsy.   Of course I'm spoilt because I have a very rare early original Suzo that has leaf switches for both buttons AND the stick and it's heaven compared to hell. The 9 bucks are a good investment though, use the USB PCB in an original Suzo and you have a sweet computer/MAME joystick.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2009, 02:27:47 am by Level42 »

Ummon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: August 07, 2009, 12:08:37 am »
Still no word from them, and a couple weeks ago I even called and left a message. At least it was only thirty bucks.
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

arcader_1984

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 08, 2009, 07:16:15 pm
  • Atari - there is no substitute!
« Reply #47 on: August 25, 2009, 12:15:30 am »
Hi Ummom,

If you left a voicemail, it is no surprise no one has gotten back to you - the link at http://www.legacyengineer.com/store.html clearly states to send email, not voicemails, the telco# is information messages only, no voicemails are responded to.   To leave any requests/questions/comments to online.sales@legacyengineer.com

If your order is lost, missing, or backlogged, if you do email, it says - send a cut&paste of your google order receipt and make sure you include your current mailing address.   When you do so you immediately get put into the new system and your order is filled.

Try it, you might like it  ;D

Anyway, looks like lots of orders have been going out the door, it would be nice to start to see those here on the boards who've sent their info and gotten their orders to give their review of the controllers.

ahofle

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2023, 05:10:22 pm
    • Arcade Ambience Project
« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2009, 10:14:55 am »
   Try it, you might like it  ;D

Thanks for the tip.  I finally found my receipt email and forwarded it to the email address you listed.  Curt responded within hours and is working on my shipment.  Can't wait!

saint

• turned to the Dark Side
  • Supreme Chancellor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 07:49:54 am
  • I only work in cyberspace...
    • Build Your Own Arcade Controls
« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2009, 10:42:09 am »
I will have to try again. I've done the email twice to no response.
--- John St.Clair
     Build Your Own Arcade Controls FAQ
     http://www.arcadecontrols.com/
     Project Arcade 2!
     http://www.projectarcade2.com/
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

arcader_1984

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2009, 05:06:56 pm »
I just saw this, looks like its true, people are definitely getting their orders:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/131503-an-atari-joystick-this-christmas/page__view__findpost__p__1823508

whynotpizza

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 05, 2022, 08:26:35 pm
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2009, 11:41:59 pm »

>
http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/131503-an-atari-joystick-this-christmas/page__st__325__p__1823508&#entry1823508
>
> I shipped out nearly 800 orders this weekend alone.
>

These volumes don't seem realistic.

If each order takes 5min to process, box and ultimately ship, this would have taken 66 hours (2.7 days) to complete ... working non-stop!

Something just doesn't add up here.

Then again, maybe there is an army of immigrants who are taking orders and pushing them out the door with exceptional turnaround times. :)

This is the second time there has been reference to large volumes of orders for this product.

arcader_1984

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2009, 12:21:59 am »
It says on the store page in the FAQ that they only ship out once a week, so if you are packing orders for 6 days (gotta have at least one day off, right? -- maybe not) then the figure is totally realistic, all you are doing is sticking a product into a box, taping it up and putting a label on it, I doubt it would even take 5mins each for something like that.

Ummon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #53 on: August 26, 2009, 09:20:15 pm »
I emailed (with my receipt) a few times, and then decided to call. Then, last saturday maybe, I emailed again, and I received a message from Curt within half an hour maybe. He said he just set a two-stick order on the bench and that it would be out Monday, and here's the USPS tracking number. I haven't looked cos USPS tracking blows, so I'm just waiting. Was gonna wait till I got it to say anything, but since the thread got revived....
Yo. Chocolate.

Stephen Hawking

saint

• Supreme Chancellor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2009, 09:55:28 pm »
Exact same experience, minus the tracking #. Earlier when I emailed I didn't hear back, but this time a day or so ago I emailed and heard back immediately. I think he's catching up on his backlog. Assuming it pans out, and I'm pretty optimistic it will, I gotta give him kudos for coming back from a health problem of the magnitude he had and making all his transactions right.
--- John St.Clair
     Project Arcade 2!
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

Ummon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #55 on: August 28, 2009, 09:08:34 pm »
Update: I actually got these in the mail two days ago (Wed), but I hadn't checked the mail before I posted. Two day post (Mon-Wed) is good. I may write up a review later, but I'll mention I hooked 'em up and they tested out fine. Seemed quite authentic, Atari-wise. Love the short throw. Not good for 4-way games. Kinda uncomfortable in the hand after a bit - as the originals were. Might be killer if firmly mounted inside a panel. Remember these have multi-input controllers that can be tapped.
Yo. Chocolate.

Stephen Hawking

Epyx

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 25, 2023, 07:56:36 pm
  • "You're an oddity"
« Reply #56 on: August 28, 2009, 10:49:41 pm »
My favourite C64 joystick was the Wico command control with red ball top:

http://www.the3dstudio.com/product_details.aspx?id_product=55457

This was a tank of a joystick and never ever let me down.
Last Project

Epyx Tutorials:
Tutorials

arcader_1984

• Offline Offline
« Reply #57 on: September 06, 2009, 08:54:43 pm »
Anybody else receive their orders - anyone have a write up or review of these?   

I'd love to see a YouTube review to see them actually work with games.

Time Pilot

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2015, 10:25:30 pm
« Reply #58 on: September 07, 2009, 10:24:33 pm »
I sent my Google Checkout receipt to sales@legacyengineer.com as indicated on August 25th.  I received an email back the same day.  Received all 4 joysticks on 9/3.  Looks like he's got 'em moving along...

-TP

saint

• Supreme Chancellor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #59 on: September 07, 2009, 11:29:02 pm »

I have received my first order (I ordered 1, then ordered a second pair for a total of three). Haven't had a chance to open and play with it yet, but I can verify one of my orders is in my hands :)
--- John St.Clair
     Project Arcade 2!
     saint@arcadecontrols.com

arcader_1984

• Offline Offline
« Reply #60 on: October 08, 2009, 06:54:53 pm »
Anyone seen this - new special editions (only 250 pieces each) going on sale next week:

http://www.legacyengineer.com/storefront

:applaud:

arcader_1984

• Offline Offline
« Reply #61 on: October 08, 2009, 07:01:37 pm »
Well somebody did post up a youtube video, but its for another product from Legacy - a board to upgrade older original joysticks - I like the background music   :lol

Curt

Ummon

• Offline Offline
« Reply #62 on: October 10, 2009, 03:13:13 am »
Anyone seen this - new special editions (only 250 pieces each) going on sale next week:

http://www.legacyengineer.com/storefront

:applaud:

Are they only different by the housing and button colors?
Yo. Chocolate.

Stephen Hawking