Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Major Havoc + MAME = Problem  (Read 1813 times)

- r e n d e r -

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2008, 02:10:09 am
  • I'm a llama!
    • Plastic Art
Major Havoc + MAME = Problem
« on: September 06, 2008, 03:14:44 am »
Hi all,

I'm trying to play Major Havoc on a cabinet I built which is using a 27" tv as a monitor but it is displaying much wider than the actual screen and scrolling the image from left to right when I try to move through the maze.  It essentially makes the game unplayable.  This seems to be the only ROM that produces this problem.  Has anyone else run into this or have a suggestion for a fix?

Thenasty

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 09:59:37 am
    • Thenasty's Arcademania Horizontal/Vertical monitor setup.
Re: Major Havoc + MAME = Problem
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 01:55:02 pm »
Have you tried Asteroid, Asterpod Deluxe, Tempest, Quantum or any other Vector games ?

I dunno how good you gonna get with a TV for a monitor for this games. The best Monitor for this games would be SVGA (PC monitors) capable of high resolutions.

I run asteriod on a 15khz arcade monitor and its not that great looking but I'll live with it.

Try forcing the game to run on 320x240 or 640x480, I dunno if TV can accept 640x480.
Thenasty's Arcademania Horizontal/Vertical setup.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=26696.0

Free VGA Breakout Cable
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=38228.0

Ultimate All in One Coin Mech write up (Make your own)
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=19200.0

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 09:29:13 pm »
What do you mean scrolling from left to right. It's supposed to do that as move through the maze, as parts of the maze are off-screen. But, yeah, apparently 640x480i is terrible for these games.
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

- r e n d e r -

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 08, 2008, 02:10:09 am
  • I'm a llama!
    • Plastic Art
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2008, 02:03:55 am »
What do you mean scrolling from left to right.

What I mean is, it's as though the screen res is 640x480 and the game is 800x600.  So it's like the game is floating and when I try to scroll, the screen moves first until it gets to the edge and then my character moves.  I hadn't considered that it might just be a problem with vector games in general.  That's a bummer because I don't feel like going through the trouble of switching out the TV.  I guess I just need to buy an original Major Havoc now ;D

ahofle

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2023, 05:10:22 pm
    • Arcade Ambience Project
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2008, 10:26:17 am »
Have you tried using 800x600?

Xiaou2

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 12, 2024, 06:16:00 am
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2008, 07:16:07 pm »

Many video cards that can not go over a certain resolution,  change the way that the
picture is displayed.   They will scroll the larger image around just as you posted.

Mame typically is set to auto select the best resolution for the game chosen.
However, on vector games it will usually choose the highest resolution possible.

Try changing the settings from  "Auto"  to  a set resolution such as 640*480.