Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: New project start: Fullsize arcade - also asking advices 🙂  (Read 580 times)

proplayer77

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
At last i started my first full size arcade project. After making the bartop i started to gather lots of stuff for this and now i had time to start it.

About the cabinet - i thought and planned a long time which model to build, but in the end i got back to where i started, a 2 player cabin.

I was thinking a japanese style very high and deep cabinet, and also more old-school ones with 4 players.

So, i threw all my previous plans and made simple drawings for this project.

The sides are made from one sheet, 2400x1200, so its about 60cm deep. Height it 195cm.

Im going to use a pc with hyperspin and rocketlauncher and also want to make it as jukebox with spotify-lists.

Materials to start with:

-Im using Plywood 18mm for sides, and 14mm for other parts. 2 sheets 2400x1200mm each
-wood bars (made myself with cirkular saw)
-Wheels with brakes - 4
-joystick and button sets - 2
-extra buttons, some with led - so many i need
-6.5" speakers - 1 pair
-amplifier - 1
-coin doors - 2 (im still thinking if i use them, have them though allready, also have  "credit" buttons for this)
-Fans - 2 + 2
-Led strip - 5m
-Carbon / vinyls - still thinking about these, have ordered carbon for control panel ( i liked the look on my bartop)
-T-molding 19mm, black - (12m)
-24" monitor (still thinking if it should be bigger but for 2 player this is fine) - 1
-power supply for mame arcade machines - 1
-different connectors for power and electrics - so many as needed
-a doorlock on front - 1
-hinges for door - 2
-cupholders - 2 (VERY IMPORTANT :))
Edit/add/changes:
-24”lcd -> 32” tv

I can add to the list more along the way, cant remember all things now i have and will need. I already have almost all the stuff above, just waiting for carbon vinyls and t-moldings.

I dont have expert tools, so this is good project to follow if you have a garage/space and handtools like im using in my garage. It takes a little more time but will get the job done :). I want to use screws to make the cab stable, so you wont be seeing any spike guns on my pics.

Here are some pics ive done sofar. Ill add more along the way:

« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 02:29:37 pm by proplayer77 »

proplayer77

• Offline Offline
Re: New project start: Fullsize arcade
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2018, 12:15:49 pm »
I need advice. I have a older Samsung 37” hdready tv lying around.
I measured the sides and it should fit ok. My first thought was using a 24” monitor but the cabin would be quite narrow so im thinking if I make it wider with the tv?

-can there be resolution problems with this?
-im going to use a pc on this - any issues?

Im not sure about the resolution (going to check) but it should work with Hyperspin?

Edit: its only 1366x768. https://us.hardware.info/product/21893/lg-37lc51/specifications

« Last Edit: May 09, 2018, 12:47:48 pm by proplayer77 »

JudgeRob

• Offline Offline
Re: New project start: Fullsize arcade - also asking advices 🙂
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 01:27:11 pm »
Stick with the 24".  When you are standing that close to the cabinet, you really don't need anything bigger and your cab will get too wide.  You are going with the 2 player, not the 4 right?

The PC with Hyperspin will work great.

proplayer77

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 02:11:10 pm »
Yes, 2-player.

I measured and its going to be only 57cm wide if i use monitor width. I think your right, because with mame resolutions it will be too close for playing.

Im going to also try to make it to be a jukebox that can be opened from hyperspin and rocketlauncher. Any advice/experience on that?I googled some software that should work.

Im running Hyperspin and Rocketlauncher on a i5 laptop and that i should get running ok.
Is C2D or P4 3Ghz+ , 2-4 gigs ram ok with a basic graphics card? Or should i use better hw?

« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 01:52:30 am by proplayer77 »

proplayer77

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2018, 12:59:52 pm »
I tried to mount the 37” old tv just to see and it was too wide. Today i got a fresh very nice 32” tv that is going to be the one for the project.

Heres a pic of my testmount today with the 37”:

« Last Edit: May 10, 2018, 01:42:59 pm by proplayer77 »

proplayer77

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2018, 01:46:39 pm »
I installed fresh win7 and downloaded latest hyperspin, rocketlauncher, emulators and other software needed.

I think this stable pc will run software needed, comments?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 12:58:07 am by proplayer77 »

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2018, 08:13:20 am »
It could do with 4gb memory, (And possibly a dedicated video card) but other then that it should be good to play 95% or more of all playable games in mame :)

proplayer77

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2018, 01:36:53 pm »
Thx for comment, i should have more memory for it, MB has 4 memory slots  :applaud:. Also looking for a older pci-e max 1gb video card for it.

I test mounted the 32" screen today and it fitted well. So now i can advance more when the display is selected  :cheers:.

proplayer77

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2018, 12:42:53 pm »
Some progress done. Dont have that much extra time atm so this going to take a while 🙂.

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31