Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: The Grid....  (Read 181564 times)

wp34

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 10, 2022, 09:48:19 pm
Re: The Grid....
« Reply #400 on: November 05, 2019, 04:12:31 pm »
Okay that is cool.  Did that base come with your router?

Yup it's part of the "package" for Makita's palm router if you buy the multi base set.  Here's a link:  Makita Palm Router

In retrospect I would probably just buy the "kit with one base" which comes with the plunge base as well and then buy the titling base separately....although you don't get the cool carrying bag  ::)

Sigh.  Looks like I need to buy another router.   ;D

Your build is really coming along Arroyo.  I've really enjoyed following it and am looking forward to seeing what you come up with next.   :cheers:

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 15, 2024, 07:31:21 pm
« Reply #401 on: November 05, 2019, 04:18:37 pm »

For real. Arroyo's been tempting me to buy all the fun toys.

Arroyo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:53:53 am
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #402 on: November 05, 2019, 04:30:54 pm »

gingecko

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2022, 04:11:37 pm
  • I'm working on it!
« Reply #403 on: November 05, 2019, 04:54:53 pm »

For real. Arroyo's been tempting me to buy all the fun toys.

Luckily I can only afford the cheap stuff.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #404 on: November 11, 2019, 12:24:05 pm »
Luckily I can only afford the cheap stuff.

Well actually I really have mostly bought cheap stuff…..which I mostly kick myself for.  Almost everything I bought was $120 or less.  I splurged on the Festool for sure, and also the impact driver I bought, but pretty much everything else was cheap (not used cheap I suppose).  Like I said I kinda regret it as once I learn WHY it’s cheap I end up having to buy the same tool again and overall it ends up costing me more.  Take that damn table saw for instance  :angry:.  Ryobi Drill Press has actually been really handy.

Anyway, I got to spend the better part of this weekend working and knocked out a bunch of stuff.

First was routing out the sides to get ready for the P95 clear Acrylic inlay that will light up the sides for “glow corners” wp34 had given me that idea awhile back, and for a little while I was thinking of getting the acrylic etched to extend the side art, but it was expensive and I think just too much, so instead it will be an even glow.

Did the usual bender board to cut out the sides and make them even:

That's a lot of passes with the double flute straight router bit, both sides probably took 2 hours.

Then cut and put together enclosed speaker enclosure for the 8inch subwoofer:

The called for dimensions on the manufacturers website were a little deep, deeper than I would have liked but oh well.

Then moved on to tackling the coin box problem.  I had been avoiding this for a long time as I couldn’t figure out what I wanted to do.  I spent quite a while this weekend in Sketchup designing what I thought would be a good design.  I was heavily influenced by the Nintendo coin boxes and wanted to design soothing in that vein.  Problem was getting around the support clips of the coin door and getting it close enough to catch the coins.  Here’s what I came up with:

Another hilarious setup to make some cuts.

Here it is against the coin door, you can see the cuts for the support clips, and door cam lock.

I also worked on the coin box that will go inside, and just clear the coin door bottom.  I actually already built it but hadn’t properly accounted for the depth of the cam lock, so I’ve got roughly 3/32 to shave off.

I’ve got one other major hurdle to overcome on the USB panel, and then I should be able to button this lower half up and glue and screw.

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2023, 02:13:35 pm
  • Plenty of skills.. gaining experience..
« Reply #405 on: November 11, 2019, 12:27:49 pm »
Nice work!
I was going to ask for an *update* to make sure progress was being made.
Fine woodworking there.
Thanks for the update.
My Arcade Cabinet Build and other projects here:
Centipede, Joust, Joust Cocktail, Asteroids, Galaga, Ms. Pacman Cabaret, Defender, Space Invaders Cocktail
https://bperkins.wordpress.com/

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 17, 2024, 05:35:40 pm
« Reply #406 on: November 11, 2019, 01:10:35 pm »
Holy crap Arroyo - that's a LOT of material to remove with the router! So you are going to inlay a piece of acrylic where you cut away the sides and then light it up somehow?  That sounds sick.  You are really doing a lot of awesome stuff with your build.  Love watching the progress!   :cheers:

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #407 on: November 11, 2019, 01:23:53 pm »
Fine woodworking there.
  I've learned from the best.  Thanks Master Kenobi.

So you are going to inlay a piece of acrylic where you cut away the sides and then light it up somehow?

Yup, that's the plan.  I had done some tests last year and I liked the way it came out, so hopefully it translates well.  This thing is going to be a blingy light show fest  :lol.  Seriously though I hope I can keep the lighting subtle enough that it won't look like a Christmas tree.

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #408 on: November 11, 2019, 04:04:38 pm »
You did a great job with that coin box.  I saw the pictures before I read your post and my first thought was it looked like a mythical 4-player Donkey Kong coin box.   :cheers:

Well actually I really have mostly bought cheap stuff…..which I mostly kick myself for.  Almost everything I bought was $120 or less.  I splurged on the Festool for sure, and also the impact driver I bought, but pretty much everything else was cheap (not used cheap I suppose).  Like I said I kinda regret it as once I learn WHY it’s cheap I end up having to buy the same tool again and overall it ends up costing me more.  Take that damn table saw for instance  :angry:.  Ryobi Drill Press has actually been really handy.

Better quality tools feel better in your hands too.  There is something special about the feel of a well-made and well-balanced hand tool. 

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #409 on: November 11, 2019, 04:08:16 pm »
I don't understand the coin box - your coin door didn't come with one?
or are there different configs and yours required a little extra box making?
Centipede, Joust, Joust Cocktail, Asteroids, Galaga, Ms. Pacman Cabaret, Defender, Space Invaders Cocktail

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:21:02 pm
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #410 on: November 11, 2019, 04:37:05 pm »
Crazy jigs are awesome.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #411 on: November 12, 2019, 10:42:28 am »
You did a great job with that coin box.  I saw the pictures before I read your post and my first thought was it looked like a mythical 4-player Donkey Kong coin box.   :cheers:

:cheers:  That's what I was going for!

I don't understand the coin box - your coin door didn't come with one?

Unfortunately not.  The only thing you could buy is this, which wasn't even available at the time I bought this.  I also don't really like the plastic tray, and would have to build something to house it anyway, so I figure with this I can have a drawer to pull out and quickly empty when needed.

Crazy jigs are awesome.
Sometimes I look at my setups for a cut and think for an experienced woodworker it must be like watching a cave man with sticks.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #412 on: November 12, 2019, 10:45:01 am »
You would be surprised what a cave man with sticks could accomplish.

gingecko

• Offline Offline
  • I'm working on it!
« Reply #413 on: November 12, 2019, 01:35:40 pm »
Yea, I agree with the quality tools statement. Bought a cheap orbital sander. It died in a month. Then spent the money for a better brand. Good tools that you want to keep around, require money.

Looking forward to seeing how your lit up sides are going to go. The coin box is pretty nice. It's one of the things I still need to tackle too. It seems like it should be a super simple thing, but I'm sure I'll end up making it way more complicated than it needs to be!

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #414 on: November 15, 2019, 11:17:22 am »
I'm sure I'll end up making it way more complicated than it needs to be!

I can relate on that one!

I had built the coin box over the weekend but it had height and depth issues for things I hadn’t accounted for (note to self, always draw EVERYTHING for a part in Sketchup, no short cuts!).  As mentioned I wanted to go for a Nintendo Style coin box, so I grabbed some 1/2” birch and 1.5” x 3/4” solid walnut.

Used the ½” 45 degree chamfer router bit and ran the walnut through the router table:

Cut off the last side and ran it through using push blocks.  Mounted it to the ½” coin drawer box and voila!

Only problem was I needed to route those corners so that it would fit through the coin door opening.  Here I made a couple of boo boos.  First off I should have pulled up my big boy pants and tackled using dowels as it would have been nice to avoid the pocket holes left from the Kreg jig.  Second was I should have used my ½” round over bit on the individual pieces rather than trying to use it on the completed box.  Got some blow out which I should have known better, but nothing a little wood filler can’t solve.  Live and learn:

Fit nicely once I made all the changes, and I’m pretty chuffed. 

Glad this part is behind me.

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #415 on: November 15, 2019, 11:21:20 am »
OK - I really really like the wooden coin drawer.
 :applaud:

Now I get it..  Mine has a crappy plastic tray...
Hmm........ 

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #416 on: November 15, 2019, 12:19:08 pm »
This is so cool and really unique.  Don't think I've seen anyone do this before.  Even the Nintendo coin box requires you to open the entire coin door exposing the mechs and wiring so this is even cleaner than that.   :cheers:

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #417 on: November 15, 2019, 01:25:32 pm »
Cheers fellas.  I'm debating whether the wood look will be in too stark of a contrast to the outside of the cab.....although I'm sure I won't do it, might be cool to wrap it in graphics similar to the outside and swap out that Walnut handle for a Tron disc 3D printed or something like that.....like I have the time.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #418 on: November 15, 2019, 01:30:12 pm »
Cheers fellas.  I'm debating whether the wood look will be in too stark of a contrast to the outside of the cab.....although I'm sure I won't do it, might be cool to wrap it in graphics similar to the outside and swap out that Walnut handle for a Tron disc 3D printed or something like that.....like I have the time.

You are crazy... in a good way.  If you are going to do anything, just paint it a complimentary color to match/go with the artwork.  99.9% of the time no one will see it and the 0.1% of the time someone does see it, it will still look integrated with the rest of the cabinet.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #419 on: November 15, 2019, 01:55:22 pm »
Just do every complicated and crazy thing you can think of with this cab. Get it out of your system.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #420 on: November 15, 2019, 01:58:50 pm »
Just do every complicated and crazy thing you can think of with this cab. Get it out of your system.

LOL.  You know me too well.  Hey I believe OND still takes the cake for crazy complicated.  I can't even touch that kind of detail.

You are crazy... in a good way.  If you are going to do anything, just paint it a complimentary color to match/go with the artwork.  99.9% of the time no one will see it and the 0.1% of the time someone does see it, it will still look integrated with the rest of the cabinet.

You are right, which is why unless I get REALLY bored, I won't do it.  Besides look how long it has taken me and I don't even have a standing cab yet.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 02:05:27 pm by Arroyo »

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #421 on: November 15, 2019, 04:25:11 pm »
Very nice.   :applaud:

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #422 on: November 15, 2019, 04:35:40 pm »
That touch of walnut is reminding me of Pixelhugger's epic Mission Control.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,13118.0.html

Arroyo is veering into furniture making which is cool.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #423 on: November 15, 2019, 07:14:50 pm »
I am going to be out there next month. I have a lot of woodworking stuff to discuss with him. I will tie him up....with project ideas for the rest of his life.
He looks at things a bit differently than I do. We should be able to come up with some good ideas.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #424 on: November 25, 2019, 07:08:34 pm »
That touch of walnut is reminding me of Pixelhugger's epic Mission Control.

You know I never really went through that build log in detail, but after reading it through man the wood working on that is off the charts.  That’s next level detail and patience.

We should be able to come up with some good ideas.

Looking forward to it buddy.

This little guy is going to play a very important role in the build:

But getting it mounted and exposed was a challenge.  I had to think quite awhile before coming up with a solution.  I needed something strong but thin, considered metal, but didn’t have a good way yet to cut some of the dimensions, so opted for plastic instead.

Here you get the idea:

The three holes are for USB ports and a power switch (Forstner bit cut into scrap, then used as a jig for the pattern bit on the router).  The hole in the top part is here the device will sit.  To mount the plastic I need to inlay the material and as it was only about 3mm thickness I couldn’t use my usually pattern bit so I bought this tracer bit:

It worked really well.  Getting an inlay to line up for both dimension and depth can be a challenge.  It took my three attempts at getting the depth just right, as I was paranoid about removing too much material.  To do it I just traced the plastic piece onto some scrap 1/2” wood and then cut it out to make a jig.  It worked pretty well, but because I had to make 3 attempts at getting the depth it meant three times realigning the jig and as you can probably tell in the picture I got one of the times miss aligned a little on the top…not a big deal as this will all be covered by laminate, but the depth was crucial and thankfully with the countersunk holes and screws it is smooth to the touch all over.

I had to use tiny M2 screws in the middle to get the device setup but it was worth it as it all came together.  Any guesses on what it is going to be used for?

Last gratuitous pic.  Lot of time in that one piece.  Damn I love this hobby.

J_K_M_A_N

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:32:47 pm
« Reply #425 on: November 25, 2019, 07:19:12 pm »
I know what that is as I mess with Arduino's from time to time. Can't wait to see what you do with it. :)

J_K_M_A_N

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #426 on: November 25, 2019, 07:20:58 pm »
So that looks really awesome.... but what am I looking at?   ;D

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #427 on: November 25, 2019, 07:28:47 pm »

+1

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #428 on: November 25, 2019, 08:02:26 pm »
I know what that is as I mess with Arduino's from time to time. Can't wait to see what you do with it. :)

Hehe, wanna guess?

+1

Perhaps this will help to explain:

Or did you mean the device itself?

Edit: Top down view from the other side:

« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 08:09:36 pm by Arroyo »

J_K_M_A_N

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:32:47 pm
« Reply #429 on: November 25, 2019, 08:29:14 pm »

Hehe, wanna guess?

I am guessing switch from attract mode to the menu or maybe even a full power on from off which would be cool. Or maybe just some kind of light show which would also be cool. (You must not have dogs or cats. :))

I used mine to make under cabinet lights in the kitchen about 2 weeks ago. Fade in and fade out. LOVE it!

J_K_M_A_N
« Last Edit: November 25, 2019, 08:31:05 pm by J_K_M_A_N »

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #430 on: November 25, 2019, 08:30:58 pm »
I am guessing switch from attract mode to the menu or maybe even a full power on from off which would be cool. Or maybe just some kind of light show which would also be cool.

You're on the right path!

wp34

• Offline Offline
« Reply #431 on: November 25, 2019, 09:53:16 pm »
It is a scanner that the MCP will use to put you on the game grid.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #432 on: November 25, 2019, 10:01:54 pm »
Buwahaa, nailed it!

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #433 on: November 27, 2019, 09:01:22 am »
Testicular stimulator?

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #434 on: November 27, 2019, 09:31:56 am »
Testicular stimulator?

It's programmed as a reward for a high score.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Budgets are boring
« Reply #435 on: December 02, 2019, 12:30:27 am »
It’s been a mad dash for the last week trying to cram in time, and got a lot done.

Went to finish off the electronics insert in the USB panel.  The challenge here was that the plastic is too thin to use as a guide, and because I am going to cover the outside with laminate I needed to thicken the guide.  Because the alignment needed to be precise I had to first drill the hole as I won’t be able to see anything once the laminate is covering it.  So I drilled the 23mm hole in a piece of wood, then used it to shine a light underneath so that I could align the hole (this would have been a lot easier if I had used clear acrylic  :banghead:):

You can see the circle outline and how I needed to align it with the edges of the plastic support piece.  The circle needed to fall exactly within those lines otherwise it would be difficult for future me to get it to align.

Used 2 pieces of 1/8” hardboard and used the existing screws to keep it in place:

Then cut it out with the template that was on the other side screwed in from my light alignment, thankfully it came out good:

Front side:

Repurposed the piece of plywood I used to practice kerfing as a support board for the middle which will hold the computer, amplifier, Arduino, and other electronics (slot cuts are on the underneath side).  Also cut the hole for and inserted the speaker terminals.

Decided I was tired of looking at that coin door in the corner and got to gluing and screwing.  Spent a lot of time mulling this one over and a big shout out goes to my man Bobby P (bperkins) for holding my hand and replying to all of my incessant e-mails.  He gave me the idea for the pipe and zip ties to clampdown the wood against the curve pieces:

So much clamping and gluing but it came out good:

I had to put in 6 screws at the top of the curve to make sure the coin door plywood mated with the curves.

Got to finally install the coin box and drawer, with one little hiccup:

The 3/4” battons were blocking the clamps.  Good thing I hadn’t glued the coin box, and could use the existing cuts as a guide:

That’s better:

And installed:

Here it is in action:

Mounted the USB panel as well with my Triangle Man triangles:

Took off all the clamps on the body and used the face of the coin door plywood as a guide to get smooth curves at the base:

I also worked out the inlay in the Marquee and got the sides curved to meet up with where the T-molding will be. 

After almost 12 hours I got really lazy and realized I was just pushing parts around and staring at things a lot.

bperkins01

• Offline Offline
« Reply #436 on: December 02, 2019, 08:04:31 am »
Now there is some fine woodworking :)
Nice joinery.
 :applaud:

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #437 on: December 02, 2019, 09:18:05 am »
Wow Arroyo - you are really going all out on this.  Every inch of this thing has some creative detail going on.  I've never seen a more intricate coin door but it's really cool what you are doing here.  I also just reread your rotating monitor tutorial and I'm getting excited to see the finished product. 

I always have a thin layer of coins to the bottom of the my coin box in my DK so when the quarter/token drops it makes the right sound.  I guess it will build up over time but there's nothing like dropping a quarter in and hearing that clink instead of the thud.  Maybe it's just me...

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • This plan is foolproof
« Reply #438 on: December 02, 2019, 11:10:31 am »
I always have a thin layer of coins to the bottom of the my coin box in my DK so when the quarter/token drops it makes the right sound

You complete me.

gingecko

• Offline Offline
  • I'm working on it!
« Reply #439 on: December 02, 2019, 01:26:00 pm »
All your work is really great, but I was really impressed with how your coin box came out. Nice work, man!