Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up --- Bug Reports --- Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: X-Men 4-player  (Read 2982 times)

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:28:33 pm
    • Bella's Arcade
Re: X-Men 4-player
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2020, 02:11:21 pm »
If you are good with it being hidden, and if you presumably have 4 coin inserts, you could turn the coin returns into the start buttons.

I second this.  I do this for all of my cabinets now - still like reaching down to put in a quarter to play but this is the next best thing.

processedmeat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 14, 2020, 05:08:23 am
  • Ikeakade Here I come!
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2020, 02:22:42 pm »
I third this.  I also designed some 3d printed microswitch holders for the coin reject buttons to make them easier to hook up and use.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4543135

If you are good with it being hidden, and if you presumably have 4 coin inserts, you could turn the coin returns into the start buttons.

I second this.  I do this for all of my cabinets now - still like reaching down to put in a quarter to play but this is the next best thing.

Arroyo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:38:05 am
  • Budgets are boring
    • newforum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,156267.0.html
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2020, 04:36:11 pm »
Woodworking is very well done edekoning, you can tell you put time into it.  Curious to know what amp you are going to use to drive the speakers as I have 4 ohm car speakers in mine as well.  Can't quite decide which direction to go.

edekoning

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2020, 01:34:57 pm
« Reply #43 on: September 06, 2020, 02:42:18 pm »
Thanks for the coin door suggestions, I'll definitely check those out once I have actually received them (6 weeks and waiting  :'().

Curious to know what amp you are going to use to drive the speakers as I have 4 ohm car speakers in mine as well.

Seemed a lot of people go with a cheap Lepy amp, f.e. the LP-2020A. But those are not that easy to get over here. So I went with a slightly more expensive option: Fosi Audio TB10A: https://www.amazon.com/Audio-Amplifier-Receiver-Integrated-Speakers/dp/B076P2VS9H. It does not go very loud, but I think it will be enough.

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #44 on: September 06, 2020, 02:47:20 pm »
Worked on the control panel box, and securing it to the cabinet.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2020, 02:49:56 pm by edekoning »

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #45 on: September 06, 2020, 02:55:38 pm »
The pocket screws that I used on the control panel box intersect with the The T-molding slot on the sides. I'll need to cut some notches in the T-molding to make it fit. This is also the reason why I pushed the back-panel on the cabinet 1/2" inwards.

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #46 on: September 06, 2020, 03:25:39 pm »
Also did some other random things today.

The top back panel has carrying handles, but whenever I use them to tilt the cabinet, the wood bends a bit. This is due to the cab being so heavy, and the fact that the wood is only fastened on the sides. So I decided to add some additional pocket screws to attach it to the top panel. As the surfaces are angled here, I used screws meant for 0.5" thick wood, to ensure they won't come out the other side ;D

I added a wooden strip to bottom of that same panel, to support the back door. I then routed out some wood for the cam lock in the door to catch on to. To the bottom of the door I also added a wooden strip that catches behind the lower back panel. To remove the panel, just unlock, tilt backwards, and lift. Quite an easy way to make a removable panel for the occasional access to the cabinet insides. On my Magneto cab I used bolts and insert nuts to keep the removable back panels in place, but that was too annoying whenever you needed access.

The top panel also had to come off, as I completely forgot to create a 0.2" channel for the marque to sit in. Besides that I also added a small piece of wood for the power button on top.

And finally I cut some aluminium mesh to size for both the top and bottom ventilation holes. The mesh is spray painted black on one side.

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #47 on: September 06, 2020, 03:42:09 pm »
Things Left to do are (somewhat in order):
  • Cut the Control panel top to size. Only needs a single angled cut at the back
  • Attach Control panel top to the control panel box using a piano hinge. and add magnets to hold it in place
  • Order side artwork, CPO and marquee
  • Start painting the everything satin black
  • Cut out holes for the two coin doors, but I will only do that once I have received the actual coin doors
  • Buy and attach an aluminium strip to the speaker panel, to hold the marquee in place and spray paint it black
  • Buy a clear sheet of plexi to cover the bezel
  • Determine how to mount the joysticks
  • Cut all needed holes in the control panel
  • Apply all artwork
  • Install all parts
  • Setup software
  • Enjoy a job well done and play some games 8)

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #48 on: September 15, 2020, 06:29:49 am »
Things Left to do are (somewhat in order):
  • Cut the Control panel top to size. Only needs a single angled cut at the back
  • Attach Control panel top to the control panel box using a piano hinge. and add magnets to hold it in place
  • Order side artwork, CPO and marquee
  • Start painting the everything satin black
  • Cut out holes for the two coin doors, but I will only do that once I have received the actual coin doors
  • Buy and attach an aluminium strip to the speaker panel, to hold the marquee in place and spray paint it black
  • Buy a clear sheet of plexi to cover the bezel
  • Determine how to mount the joysticks
  • Cut all needed holes in the control panel
  • Apply all artwork
  • Install all parts
  • Setup software
  • Enjoy a job well done and play some games 8)

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #49 on: September 15, 2020, 06:42:32 am »
Finally cut the control panel to size with an 48 degree angled cut. As you can see it still needs some sanding, to improve the fit. That will have to wait until I add some t-molding the cabinet, as the control panel will rest on that.

I also started painting, first layer of primer is done. I dropped the paint bucket on my shoes, which caused an absolute mess, and means I need to buy additional primer for the control panel :angry: The primer I got (Sigma S2U) is pretty good: easy to work with and great coverage. So I am hopeful to not have to prime it again after sanding.

I also ordered side art, cpo and marquee from https://www.szabosarcades.com/ --> production time 5-7 weeks, shipping time 3+ weeks  :'( My coin doors have also still to turn up after 7 weeks...

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #50 on: October 16, 2020, 06:47:33 am »
I am officially in painting hell :'(

The first layer of paint after priming went on nice and smooth, and looks terrific.
I applied a second layer of paint for all the visible parts: side panels, front panel, speaker panel, and a few other areas.
The results were horrible though, as it seemed my roller disintegrated, leaving small fabric parts all over the place.
I did not notice this during the painting, as when painting black on black its really hard to see what you are actually doing.

So more sanding and using a non-fabric roller for another layer of paint, and again the results were not great.
Dust specks everywhere! How the F@#$ did that happen, as I waited a week between sanding and painting, and used a damp cloth to wipe the cab and surrounding area multiple times, during that time.
Then I realized, I left the stick to stir the paint on the ground next to the cab when sanding, and never cleaned it afterwards. So that is most likely the source of contamination of my paint.

The front panel and speaker panel are luckily not that bad actually. It's only noticeable when you either feel the wood, or a bright light reflects off the surface. The side panels are worse and I fear for when I need to apply side art.
So I was wondering, can I just lightly wet sand the side panels with say 1000+ grit, and then apply the side art. Or does the side art stick better when I just repaint it after sanding?

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 24, 2020, 10:20:46 pm
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #51 on: October 16, 2020, 07:06:17 am »
I like your build.
Painting is a real PITA for me.
Dust, insects, roller patterns, you name it, i have seen it.
My last project I tried spray painting (using the ole rattle cans), it looked better than the rolled on paint, but I went through a bunch of cans of paint.
I am not now nor will ever be a good painter. LOL
I bought a cheap airless paint sprayer from harbor freight. That was 30 bucks wasted. It spit drops everywhere.
I dont think I have enough patience to do the job right.

edekoning

• Offline Offline
« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2020, 08:10:37 am »
I am thinking of doing a small project after this just to try out laminating. As that would remove 95% of the painting process. Then again, that might have its own issues. Only one way to find out I guess.

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 24, 2020, 10:20:46 pm
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2020, 08:34:52 am »
I used laminate on my jukeboxes, and I was very pleased with it.
Although it can be expensive, it looks real good, and no painting at all (on my projects anyway).

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:28:33 pm
    • Bella's Arcade
« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2020, 09:27:15 am »
I am officially in painting hell :'(

Did you seal the plywood with something like Kilz?  It looks from the picture that the grain is soaking up the paint which means you didn't seal it.  Two coats of Kilz with sanding in between should leave you with a very nice surface and the grain barely visible (or not visible at all).  You can apply art directly to the primed surface or finish it with whatever top coat you want and it will come out looking nice.  It does take patience though.  I use a 3/8" nap roller with a high quality paint and sand in between each coat with 220 grit.  Wipe down the surface, make sure you are not painting in a dusty area or outside where insects and pollen can land on the surface, etc.  It takes practice but if you stick with it you will get great results.

Mike A

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 05:40:29 am
  • card carrying purist
« Reply #55 on: October 16, 2020, 11:08:45 am »
It looks like a Williams cab. You can see the woodgrain underneath the paint.