Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up --- Bug Reports --- Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Poll

What default port assignments would you prefer for Mapper?

Set the ports to blank.  That will prompt users to either assign ports or load a mapping (.DAT) file.
0 (0%)
Make mapping (.DAT) files and pinout images for the Arduino boards.
0 (0%)
Both of the above.
5 (62.5%)
Leave the current defaults.
0 (0%)
Doesn't matter.  It's easy to load a .DAT file and/or reassign ports.
3 (37.5%)

Total Members Voted: 8

Author Topic: KADE miniArcade 2.0 beta release  (Read 14569 times)

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:45:53 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
Re: KADE miniArcade 2.0 beta release
« Reply #80 on: February 10, 2019, 10:35:53 pm »
Which of the two DFU bootloaders is correct for the Mattairtech board: the Atmel DFU, or the non-Atmel DFU?
The non-Atmel DFU is the better choice.

Either one will work, but the Atmel DFU bootloader requires a pullup resistor.  (See step 3 here.)

Scott

xefned

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 03, 2019, 04:18:33 pm
  • Unearthing ancient threads is my special skill.
    • Matthew's projects
« Reply #81 on: February 16, 2019, 01:35:12 pm »
Haha, thank you for clarifying!
I was just about to post something I found in another thread: "Scott PL1 says Atmel." for other people looking for an answer. But I will go NON-Atmel now, since I wouldn't know where to put that pullup resistor anyway.  THANK YOU!!

I bought 2 minimus boards for around $4 each a few years ago.  Built raspberry pi's and gave them away to friends.
 Last week I decided I could use a few more and discovered the word's supply of cheap minimus boards is now long gone.  Got research to do...  :blah:

Searching for Zwackery, not because it's rare, because it's fun.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #82 on: February 16, 2019, 04:46:04 pm »
I was just about to post something I found in another thread: "Scott PL1 says Atmel."
The next post after that is Bruno correcting my imperfect advice by pointing out that, "Non-atmel DFU bootloader is preferable over Atmel's.", immediately followed by me agreeing that non-Atmel DFU is the better option.    :lol

The OP of that thread was updated with that info several years ago.
- Over 5 years ago when Jon coded the KADESTICK firmware, he recommended getting the Atmel DFU firmware that requires a pullup resistor to keep the board from going into programming mode when power is applied.
- About 2 years ago when Bruno coded the miniArcade 2.0 loader program, he found a way to make it work with the non-Atmel DFU firmware that does not need a pullup resistor.

I bought 2 minimus boards for around $4 each a few years ago.  Built raspberry pi's and gave them away to friends.
 Last week I decided I could use a few more and discovered the word's supply of cheap minimus boards is now long gone.  Got research to do...  :blah:
From the OP of the "KADE-compatible AVR vendors reference list" thread mentioned above.
    miniArcade/microArcade
Keyboard, gamepad, and optical (spinner/trackball) firmwares available in KADE Loader.
atmega32u2 (or at90usb162)
. . .
Other vendors:
BYOAC member MaxRod has some for sale.  PM him for details.
It has been a few months since MaxRod logged in, but he's your best bet for getting Minimus AVRs.   :cheers:

Scott

xefned

• Offline Offline
    • Matthew's projects
« Reply #83 on: February 16, 2019, 09:16:52 pm »
I spent a giant chunk of my afternoon catching up on what you've all be working on over the last 6 years.  :applaud:

I'm only now fully appreciating how simple my experience was with the Minimus and the 1.0 version of KADE. It's since gone on to support several home console controllers and does worlds more than my highly simplistic original use: 1 Sanwa joystick and 3 buttons to play games in RetroPie. Truth is, that's still all I really care about, and if I'm real with myself, it was the joy of having an inexpensive and easy-to-setup joystick encoder that attracted me most to the project. Ordering a MattairTech board with shipping gets into the price territory of a Mini-Pac from Ultimarc or a KeyWiz40ECO from GGG which are preprogrammed. Overall, just feeling grateful that I got to participate in the KADE experience and build a couple game controllers for friends and relatives.  :cheers:

I see you and other contributors (Jimmer, Locke141, ed12) nearly got the Pro Micro / Leonardo to work. That would've been a breakthrough for a simple, non-proprietary arcade encoder. For now, I'll probably just hit up Andy for another Mini-PAC and get to wiring.

But there is a glimmer of hope for the future:
  1.) The Pro Micro seems to be built to be used as a HID. (Sparkfun 2012 "Intermediate" programming tutorial - way over my head.)
  2.) This guy, first-time poster gschade got a Leonardo working fairly easily.

All of this is way beyond me. I only know how to hook things up and solder.  :notworthy:

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #84 on: February 16, 2019, 11:17:31 pm »
I spent a giant chunk of my afternoon catching up on what you've all be working on over the last 6 years.  :applaud:
Thanks.  It has been a fun journey.   ;D

I'm only now fully appreciating how simple my experience was with the Minimus and the 1.0 version of KADE. It's since gone on to support several home console controllers and does worlds more than my highly simplistic original use: 1 Sanwa joystick and 3 buttons to play games in RetroPie. Truth is, that's still all I really care about, and if I'm real with myself, it was the joy of having an inexpensive and easy-to-setup joystick encoder that attracted me most to the project. Ordering a MattairTech board with shipping gets into the price territory of a Mini-Pac from Ultimarc or a KeyWiz40ECO from GGG which are preprogrammed. Overall, just feeling grateful that I got to participate in the KADE experience and build a couple game controllers for friends and relatives.  :cheers:
There is a bit more of a learning curve for v2.0, but a Sanwa joystick, three player buttons, and (two?) admin buttons setup is really easy to do.

You don't need the MattairTech board for those nine inputs.

A $5 Arduino Pro Micro from e-bay has plenty of inputs.   ;D

I see you and other contributors (Jimmer, Locke141, ed12) nearly got the Pro Micro / Leonardo to work.
There's no nearly about it -- miniArcade 2.0 works with the Pro Micro.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,154126.msg1663852.html#msg1663852

See pages 13 and 14 of the KADE miniArcade 2.0 User Guide for detailed directions.

All of this is way beyond me. I only know how to hook things up and solder.  :notworthy:
Have you looked through the User Guide?

It details step-by-step how to do *everything*.

Scott
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 11:20:50 pm by PL1 »

xefned

• Offline Offline
    • Matthew's projects
« Reply #85 on: February 17, 2019, 12:29:14 pm »
There's no nearly about it -- miniArcade 2.0 works with the Pro Micro.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,154126.msg1663852.html#msg1663852

See pages 13 and 14 of the KADE miniArcade 2.0 User Guide for detailed directions.

OMG - so excited!!! Simple KADE lives on!
I had hit upon a couple attempts that dead-ended around Feb. 2018, without seeing the success stories that happened after that. My brain was just getting frazzled.  :dizzy:

The instructions look quite do-able. I'll order a couple o' Pro Micros and use the AVRdude instructions in The Guide.

Thanks for setting me on the right track!  :cheers: