Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up --- Bug Reports --- Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: So ... 3d Printers....  (Read 130736 times)

opt2not

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 01:25:20 am
Re: So ... 3d Printers....
« Reply #1120 on: July 02, 2021, 07:20:53 pm »
First large format print complete (clear petg).  Not as oem looking as the design in my head, but it got done.  I did concentric infill at just under 100% hoping it would come out clearer.  It isn't clear, but it's solid as a rock.  Someday I'll graduate from Tinkercad to Fusion.
I respect Wine-in-a-box ready to go in the fridge.   :cheers:  :lol

nitrogen_widget

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:41:39 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #1121 on: July 09, 2021, 05:08:04 pm »
So, I picked up one of these because i had printed so much stuff that used this type of hardware.

thought it was pretty sweet for a few months.
until i knocked it off the bench.  :banghead:

the little drawers went everywhere scattering nuts and bolts and washers everywhere plus it cracked.

does anyone else keep an assortment of hardware for assembling projects?
what do you store them in?

I'm thinking now a bunch of these might work for me.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:57:27 am
« Reply #1122 on: July 09, 2021, 06:13:08 pm »
Been there! Those shelfs go down with a huge mess. :banghead:

I'm not about to suggest my small parts solution is great, but I have been working on this same problem. The issue I have is I bought so many of those tiny amazon boxes with assorted lengths of M screws, I would be wasting a lot of plano cases to keep them compartmentalized, so I just got a small tote to hold all my metric stuff and I keep them in their Amazon boxes.

Other things like extruder parts, nozzles, springs, etc, I keep in those metric zip baggies and label the bag. I have a ton of them that I use for board game organization. The only thing left for me to do is print some partitions in the tote to separate out the baggies.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1123 on: July 10, 2021, 11:30:34 am »
nice vigo.
i bought a few empty boxes with side locks about the same size as the amazon boxes of parts.

thanks.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 12:50:04 am
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #1124 on: July 10, 2021, 12:04:05 pm »
does anyone else keep an assortment of hardware for assembling projects?
what do you store them in?
I use a variety of storage systems.

- A wall-mounted parts bin similar to this one from one of the big-box hardware stores.

- A bunch of the Harbor Freight 24 compartment tackleboxes that are OK for medium parts, but the divider system is . . . less than stellar . . . for very small parts.

- For small parts like connector pins that would be a total pain to sort through, consider the Harbor Freight 25 box storage system.  The 25 small boxes have snap-lock lids.

I'm thinking now a bunch of these might work for me.
Those are better for keeping small parts separate than the 24 compartment one, but are a bit more expensive and not as flexible.  YMMV.

Scott

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:25:38 pm
« Reply #1125 on: July 10, 2021, 03:01:38 pm »
I started accumulating extra nozzles, heatbreaks, etc and wanted a toolbox to keep it all in.

I ended up getting a very small Plano tacklebox with removable clear trays.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OES590/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
It's ok, but anything too big to fit in a tray ends up in the big top compartment.  A bigger one might work out better.
It is smaller than it looks in the pictures.

The one thing that I have been happy with was this plastic storage box with individual compartment lids:
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B089M45T8N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
You can get them cheaper from China if you are willing to wait for delivery.

For the small screws used in building stuff, I'm with Vigo.  Just buy the assortment packs that come with a case.
When building the Voron I ordered exactly what was needed from Bolt Depot, but I would not do it that way again.
You are much better off buying cheap assorted sets.  Attaching plastic to aluminum does not require grade 8 bolts.

EDIT: I also have 3 of these that random leftover bolts and screws go into.  It feels like more work than you would think to move them on top the workbench, unclip both sides, fold down the front, & pull out the tray to get at the parts.
https://www.harborfreight.com/multi-compartment-utility-box-40528.html

« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 03:13:53 pm by BadMouth »

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1126 on: July 12, 2021, 07:56:26 am »
that thing from harbor freight looks spiffy.
i'll have to give mine a second look.
don't think i've ever seen one of those.

as for the multiple drawers cabinet, I have no where to mount them right now unless i hang some wood from the joists in my basement.
so i think i'm going to stick with plastic cases.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1127 on: July 12, 2021, 10:13:29 am »
Anyone have a system for remote access/monitoring that they would like to share?
I read somewhere that an alarming number of Octoprint installations are open to someone else on the internet accessing them.

I am using Mainsail/Klipper on the Voron, but it is only accessible via  local network.
I set up an old security camera (on a guest network) to monitor prints, but cannot do anything if there is a problem.
I considered using a smart plug that could be turned off remotely, but in some situations it would be better to pause the print.

Vigo

• the Scourage of Carpathia
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+24)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:57:27 am
« Reply #1128 on: July 13, 2021, 05:19:10 am »
I will be taking round 2 at setting mine up soon. I put in a pi and a touchscreen in on my printer as part of the control panel. My first attempt at putting octoprint on it failed, then I lost interest to keep pushing it.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1129 on: July 13, 2021, 02:26:59 pm »
I am envious of that power switch on the front (instead of the center of the back like the Voron). 
Keep us updated on Octoprint.  It annoys me that Klipper doesn't use the click wheel for anything and only uses the button as an emergency stop.
I may give octoprint a shot.

My latest idea for remote pause is to wire something as a filament runout sensor. 
The old security camera I'm using can pan, so I could even use it to hit the switch.  :lol

Gilrock

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 24, 2021, 01:10:55 pm
« Reply #1130 on: July 26, 2021, 10:08:51 am »
I finally started assembling my Voron.  It started with major frustration because I needed the 1mm shim washers and could not find that order anywhere.  I wasted 2 hours looking Saturday afternoon and gave up.  Then Sun morning decided I would clean up the side room that had tons of junk stacked around as one last chance.  I cleaned and stacked all my stuff on the shelving on one side and then told my wife it was her turn to clean up her sewing table area that looked like a tornado of material hit it.  Well of course she finds the box with my parts buried on her table but accuses me of putting it there.  I was like the last spot I had that box was on my pinball machine and you cleaned that off.  Its a major argument every time I can't find something...lol.  I'm like just don't move my stuff ask me to move it and then I won't have that variable in my head.

Then I started with the Z drive assemblies.  First off the gear would not fit onto the motor shaft the way they showed in the manual.  I could put it on with the fat side first but then it would stop near the end like it was tapered.  It wasn't until I tried all 4 gears that I found 1 of the 4 would freely fit all the way up and down the shaft so I had to use a drill to get the other 3 to fit.  I figure when they anodized the parts black it messed up the fit.  Then I got to the motor brackets and could not find the parts anywhere.  The part shown in the manual and the Nero video both showed a complete circle part attaching to the motor.  I finally found another video where the guy talked about the issues in the manual and he showed how they had changed the part so that it only has 3 screws and part of the circle is cut away.

I am impressed with the quality of the design so far.  The way they have the arm you swing in to tension the belt is pretty awesome.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1131 on: July 26, 2021, 10:45:42 pm »
Weird about the z motor brackets.  I must have had the old stl files because my parts matched the manual.  I did go back and download newer stl files when the limit switches didn't fit right and I found a change submitted that referred to the issue.

One issue that I may be able to steer you right on.  When you attach the motors to the A/B drives on the gantry, rotate them so the wiring exits face each other.  I had the wires coming out the back, but then there was so little clearance that the wiring was going to rub against the back panel as the gantry moves up and down.  It wasn't a huge deal, but I did have to unscrew and rotate them in place with the belts already ran.

Enjoy.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2021, 10:48:04 pm by BadMouth »

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1132 on: August 11, 2021, 10:02:27 pm »
Started throwing a Voron 1.8 together from leftover parts and the extrusion I had cut while waiting on the 2.4 frame.  Had to use 2040 for some parts of the frame.  Might have to swap in two more pieces to free up 2020 for the bed.  This will start out as a test rig to experiment without screwing up the 2.4.  I spent money on rails and some 40mm bolts, but that is about it so far. Gonna run the crappy belts I already have for now.  Nickle and diming my way to a z axis.

Got some carbon fiber polycarbonate on the way.  Looking forward to testing its strength.

« Last Edit: August 12, 2021, 05:56:38 am by BadMouth »

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1133 on: August 15, 2021, 03:17:48 pm »
Polycarbonate I ordered wasn't carbon fiber.  I was actually kinda relieved as this meant I didn't have to swap hotends for fear of scratching up the copper heatbreak of the dragon.

Anyways, if you've done ABS, have no fear of polycarbonate (at least Polymax by polymaker).  Spool went straight from the package to a filament drier feeding the printer. Printed on PEI with a coat of aquanet.  Hotend at 270, bed at 110, no fan.  Chamber stays around 50.  Very, very slight warping.  Less warping than the same part printed in ABS. Then I cleaned the PEI and recoated with Magigoo PC.  No warping at all.  Been printing parts for two days.  The only thing that failed was a small part where my 15 second minimum layer time wasn't enough to let the layers solidify.  Reprinted with one small part on each corner of the bed and they turned out proper.

So if you can do those temps, give PC a try.  Stronger and more heat resistant than ABS, but no more hassle IMO as long as it is kept dry.  If it does sit around soaking up moisture, it will need baked for 8 hours per the instructions.  Mine is going right back into a vacuum bag when I run out if things to print.

« Last Edit: August 15, 2021, 03:45:37 pm by BadMouth »

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:13:12 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
« Reply #1134 on: August 25, 2021, 04:38:46 am »
Wife wants me to get a 3D printer, Wants to print off a bunch of Disney related stuffs.  What is the current recommendation for less then 200 in the UK?   Needs to be simple to setup, simple to use, and I think most of the stuff she wants to print is in the 3 to 4 inch range.  Was looking at the Creality Ender 3 Pro with tempered glass.

Vocalitus

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 25, 2021, 06:16:58 pm
« Reply #1135 on: August 25, 2021, 05:24:10 am »
Ender 3 Pro is a good deal.

I hope the bed stick longer than 5 prints though before bed warping (even on glass).

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1136 on: August 25, 2021, 07:14:50 am »
I bought an Anycubic Mega S thinking that the Prusa knockoff design would be superior to the Ender.  Upgrades like a different print surface were a PITA to find in the correct size though.  The extruder sucks, but I'd have to switch to custom firmware to upgrade it.  I wish I'd just bought an Ender because they have become the standard.  You will never not be able to get a replacement part or have a problem that someone hasn't already posted the solution to.  I don't see a reason to buy anything else in that price range.

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1137 on: August 25, 2021, 09:34:23 am »
If anyone out there is considering Klipper and debating Mainsail vs Fluidd for the pi:

Everything I found when searching the subject said they were pretty much the same and decide for yourself, so I went with Mainsail.
Added a pi cam to my test build.  It was fairly plug and play, but the results were less like video and more like a picture updated every so often.
It wasn't anywhere near the 15fps set.  Later, an update killed something in my Mainsail install and I could no longer connect, so I gave Fluidd a try.

They are extremely similar in appearance and function, but the pi cam works better in Fluidd and the control panel panes can be rearranged. 
It also reports information on the pi and warns when the pi is being throttled.
At this point in time, Fluidd is superior IMO.  I like it well enough that this evening's project is to switch the 2.4 over to Fluidd.

I also planned to use the test rig to experiment with physical buttons in Klipper.  There wasn't much experimenting as it turned out to be stupid easy.
It's odd that I couldn't find many online tutorials covering it and those that do exist complicate it by using pins on the pi or a secondary mcu.
A few lines in the config file is all it takes to use buttons wired to the extra endstop pins on the SKR board to send any gcode command or macro. 
I only have 2 inputs available on the 1.8, but have 9 on the 2.4 since it has 2 boards.

« Last Edit: August 25, 2021, 11:31:23 am by BadMouth »

BadMouth

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1138 on: August 25, 2021, 10:12:48 pm »
Picked up a used Logitech C525 for $15.  Only 720p but it has autofocus.  Mounting to 20x20 extrusion turned out to be stupid easy.

nitrogen_widget

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1139 on: November 25, 2021, 08:02:05 am »
if anyone is interested.

anycubic photon s resin printer is $99 shipped right now.

https://www.anycubic.com/collections/anycubic-photon-3d-printers/products/anycubic-photon-s?gclid=Cj0KCQiAhf2MBhDNARIsAKXU5GTj6TyzuXlpK6WJ62fB6LYUAO0A-ntemZir3DyzDwF9KWfQTeXvaswaApe0EALw_wcB

not mono or that big, but i ordered one for my kid.
he keeps bugging me to make cartridge stands for his n64 on mine so i figure this is a good time to introduce him to 3d printing so he can make his own.
he's 15 so i think he's old enough.

oh, and happy turkey day.