Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: High Score Competition #174: Ketsui: Kizuna Jigoku Tachi  (Read 6312 times)

WakiMiko

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 04, 2019, 03:17:46 pm
High Score Competition #174: Ketsui: Kizuna Jigoku Tachi
« on: September 07, 2015, 10:29:01 am »
High Score Competition Rules and Scoreboard

------------------------------
Game Name: Ketsui: Kizuna Jigoku Tachi
ROM Name: ket
------------------------------

Settings:
    Defaults, but you are allowed to turn on rapid fire: Nevermind, it's on by default anyway.

This allows you to hold down C for spread shot auto fire. If you hold down A in addition to that, it will overwrite C and switch to the lock shot. Let go of A and it will switch to auto fire again.

Controls:
    Joystick: 8 way
    Buttons: 2-3 (A: Tap for shot, hold down for laser/lock shot, B: bomb, [C: full auto])

So we had shmups in this years competition before, but up until now none of them featured a scoring system. So score was always almost exclusively determined by how far you made it in the game. I want to change that.

I picked this one because it a) has a scoring system, b) it's considered on of the greatest shmups of all time and c) it's one Cave shmup that I haven't put much time in (total playtime should be <1h) so I hope that's fair

Gameplay/Scoring:

Ketsui features a unique scoring system centered around numbered 'chips' that are dropped from defeated enemies. These chips each bare a number (which ranges from 1 to 5) signifying their value, which gets added to the player's accumulated total of chip points when collected. The value of a chip is dependent on the player's proximity to the enemy when it is destroyed using the player's normal shots. For example, destroying an enemy from far away will yield lower-value chips (such as 1's and 2's) while destroying enemies at close range will yield higher-value chips (such as 4's and 5's). When a chip whose value is higher than 1 is obtained, a counter will appear in the upper-left of the screen and quickly count down from 60 to 0. While this counter is above zero, every enemy destroyed with the player's lock-on shots will drop chips with the same value as the chip collected that was higher than 1, regardless of proximity. For example, if the player destroys an enemy at point-blank with his/her normal shots and receives a 5 Chip, then quickly switches to their lock-on shots, every enemy destroyed will yield 5-valued chips, regardless of proximity and so long as the counter stays above 0. When the counter hits 0, every enemy destroyed with lock-on shots will only yield 1-valued chips, though the player can keep replenishing the counter by quickly collecting more chips that are valued higher than 1.

However, while using the lock-on shot, the player will lose a small amount of his/her accumulated chip points per enemy defeated, forcing the player to balance between normal and lock-on shots in order to obtain the highest amount of accumulated chips possible per stage. At the end of each stage when the player faces the boss, the player's total amount of chips will slowly deplete throughout the duration of the boss battle. The amount of chips remaining at the end of the boss battle will act as a multiplier and greatly increase the player's end-of-level score, thus defeating the boss quickly will yield a much higher multiplier.

Summary: You want to kill enemies close up with your rapid shot (Tab A or hold C) so they release value 5 chips, then switch to the lock shot to safely kill off enemies from a distance while still getting 5 chips until the counter reaches 0. Rinse and repeat.

Shmups.com Strategy Thread

Scoring Updates:

1. WakiMiko      TS 1-4 64,425,085
2. mnewt         TS 1-3 25,495,732
3. yamatetsu     PJ 1-2 21,037,861

4. JohnyO        TS 1-2  9,237,377
5. harveybirdman TS 1-2  6,696,775
6. popsicle      PJ 1-?  3,251,622
7. empardopo     TS 1-?  2,937,345
8. pbj           PJ 1-?  2,118,277

Last day: Sunday, Sep. 20 2015 midnight Pacific
--------------------------------------------

- Quest for the Bronze Joystick! The most successful competitor of each calendar year will possess & display the BYOAC Bronze Joystick Trophy. See this thread for details:The BYOAC Bronze Joystick.
Happy Gaming!
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 07:40:23 pm by WakiMiko »

popsicle

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 19, 2024, 06:25:52 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,104229.msg1102713.html#msg1102713
Re: High Score Competition #174: Ketsui: Kizuna Jigoku Tachi
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2015, 12:19:14 pm »
Just watching that video makes me anxious.  How can you possibly have trouble shooting into a slot one at a time and then turn around and pick this seizure inducing bullet hell nightmare?

WakiMiko

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2015, 12:37:56 pm »
Just watching that video makes me anxious.  How can you possibly have trouble shooting into a slot one at a time and then turn around and pick this seizure inducing bullet hell nightmare?

Well, let's just say that I was craving for a game that allows more than 1 bullet on the screen at the same time.

The game is really hard. As far as shmups go, its definitely on the hard end of the spectrum. But keep in mind that your hitbox is tiny, so you can often squeeze through bullets. Your ship slows down when you are using the lock shot, giving you more precision. Also, when dodging, don't look at the bullets. Look at the empty space between and figure out where you want to go.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 12:44:00 pm by WakiMiko »

mnewt

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2023, 10:54:19 am
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2015, 12:54:45 pm »
Well, let's just say that I was craving for a game that allows more than 1 bullet on the screen at the same time.

You ain't kidding...this looks utterly bonkers

mnewt

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2015, 01:47:07 pm »
Ok. I'll kick it off with 6135245

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 12:40:25 pm
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2015, 02:23:33 pm »
Maybe my least favorite Cave game but it's pretty fun

No chance in this one though....

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 12:40:25 pm
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2015, 02:33:07 pm »
Little better but just can't hang

WakiMiko

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2015, 02:37:45 pm »
Maybe my least favorite Cave game but it's pretty fun

Yeah it's probably my least favorite too and that's why I picked it :P

I thought about picking Guwange, but then remembered the scores being all in Japanese....

mnewt

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2015, 03:08:32 pm »

This game is manic...

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2015, 04:16:52 pm »
What MAME version does this game begin support in?  I'm wondering if I can even compete.  Aren't Cave games newly supported?
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

WakiMiko

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2015, 04:36:34 pm »
According to http://www.progettoemma.net/index.php?gioco=ket&lang=en it's supported since version 0.140u2, which came out in 2010. Maybe you are confusing this with the MAME 0.153 update that added support for the newer Cave games running on the CV1000B hardware, like Mushihime-sama and DoDonPachi Dai-Fukkatsu.

PL1

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:22:40 pm
  • Designated spam hunter
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2015, 04:39:34 pm »
What MAME version does this game begin support in?  I'm wondering if I can even compete.  Aren't Cave games newly supported?
- 0.140u3: Added correct sprite masks rom and default NVRAM to Ketsui - Game now playable. Changed description to 'Ketsui: Kizuna Jigoku Tachi (V100, third revision)' and clones to 'Ketsui: Kizuna Jigoku Tachi (V100, second revision)' and 'Ketsui: Kizuna Jigoku Tachi (V100, first revision)'. Added ket_defaults.nv NVRAM. Changed VSync to 59.17 Hz.

Scott

WakiMiko

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2015, 05:05:16 pm »

Stage 3 is absolutely brutal. Bombs are good. 5 chips are good.

DeLuSioNal29

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 20, 2023, 11:39:06 pm
  • Build the impossible -"There is no Spoon"
    • DeLuSioNaL's YouTube Videos
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2015, 08:16:13 pm »
Ah that explains it. Thanks for clarifying!  :-) Game on!
Stop by my Youtube channel and leave a comment:

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:57:49 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2015, 10:06:29 pm »

Last place standing by.

JohnyO

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 09, 2015, 12:00:26 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2015, 11:21:06 pm »
I'll get some skin in the game. 9,237,377. I'm sure I can do better. Maybe not much though.

empardopo

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:30:47 pm
    • My personal forum
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2015, 10:32:25 am »
2937345 points

popsicle

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 19, 2024, 06:25:52 pm
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,104229.msg1102713.html#msg1102713
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2015, 09:30:28 pm »

mnewt

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2015, 02:19:31 pm »

Slight error on the initials..whoops
It melts my brain a bit, but kinda enjoying this game now

WakiMiko

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2015, 07:52:07 am »
Yeah it's really hard but a lot of fun. The trick to high scores is figuring out the scoring system. Sometimes its better to stop shooting and to wait until some of the popcorn helicopters home in on you. Then you kill them with C to start the 5 chip counter and immediately switch to the lock on shot to kill everything on the screen while getting 5 chips.

You can get 10M+ in stage 1 by playing according to the scoring system. The video in the OP gets 19M, but I haven't gotten anywhere close to that, my best is around 14M.

Stage 2 still gives me a lot of trouble with the choke-points just before the midboss and just before the boss. The boss itself is a meanie too.

Stage 3 is just pure agony, especially the midboss. Destroying all parts and turrets before finishing it off gives you an extra life, but only if you don't bomb during that part. However, you can die and will still get the 1up, which is better than bombing for survival because you respawn with a full bomb stock. Well, you lose some chips on the overall counter but oh well.

For survival, bullet herding and figure-eight cutbacks work quite well because a lot of the bullets are directly aimed at you.

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:50:41 am
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #20 on: September 11, 2015, 04:52:16 pm »
Pro tip: Don't flail around the screen too much, lots of stray lingering bullets to run into. Tap dodging is your friend. I don't have time to join in the fun (also, it wouldn't be fair), but here's an old replay of mine:

Scoring tips:

Stay high up on the screen as much as possible. Scoring well = easier to survive. Don't mind tanks rummaging around below, use them to start a 5-chip chain by giving them a visit with your shot. Chip chaining is like dipping your brush in the paint, then painting as much as possible before the brush is empty. Rinse and repeat. Try to lock onto a bigger enemy with the tip of your lock shot while taking out the little people with the rest of it. This will give you a higher "score base", as the big enemy's kill score is added somehow to the popcorn enemies.

Secret extra life:

Kill the end sections of the third mid-boss without using a bomb, then save the mid section 'til last and get a secret 1-up. This is difficult though, but really awesome if you learn to do it.

mnewt

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2015, 10:40:35 am »

WakiMiko

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2015, 05:54:51 pm »
Pro tip: Don't flail around the screen too much, lots of stray lingering bullets to run into. Tap dodging is your friend. I don't have time to join in the fun (also, it wouldn't be fair), but here's an old replay of mine:

Scoring tips:

Stay high up on the screen as much as possible. Scoring well = easier to survive. Don't mind tanks rummaging around below, use them to start a 5-chip chain by giving them a visit with your shot. Chip chaining is like dipping your brush in the paint, then painting as much as possible before the brush is empty. Rinse and repeat. Try to lock onto a bigger enemy with the tip of your lock shot while taking out the little people with the rest of it. This will give you a higher "score base", as the big enemy's kill score is added somehow to the popcorn enemies.

Secret extra life:

Kill the end sections of the third mid-boss without using a bomb, then save the mid section 'til last and get a secret 1-up. This is difficult though, but really awesome if you learn to do it.

Very nice run, gonna steal some strategies from that :)

Regarding scoring: I don't think you get a higher score for killing more enemies in one chain before the counter hits 0. But it certainly makes it easier to kill as many as possible before you have to refresh your chip value with shot.

The way I understand how the points work is the following: When you kill enemies with your lock shot you "cash out" on your current counter (the middle value), multiplying the enemy's base value with that counter. But doing so depletes the counter by a certain amount, depending on the type of enemy killed. That's why it's very important to kill the mid bosses with lock so you multiply their huge base value with your current counter.

Your overall counter (top value) doesn't deplete until the boss fight (unless you die). Its value gets multiplied with the bosses base value when you kill it with lock. You want to kill the boss parts with shot so you don't cash out on the counter prematurely.

I almost made it to the last stage: 61,948,591

emphatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2015, 06:10:03 pm »
Nice going. Stage 4 is much easier if you stay close to the top and don't get boxed in (use wide shot to take out the popcorn's shooting at you from the far sides). Here's an extensive scoring guide, btw: http://www.world-of-arcades.net/Cave/Ketsui/ItemsAndScores.htm

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 03:41:34 pm
  • Just because.
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2015, 12:59:01 pm »
19,125,739. Close, but no cigar.

emphatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2015, 03:55:15 pm »
19,125,739. Close, but no cigar.

Ouch, extend at 20 million.

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Just because.
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2015, 04:25:32 pm »
Yup, I know. Even more ouch is that 6,000 points more would have brought me into second place ...

WakiMiko

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2015, 02:48:05 pm »
Small improvement.

Game is hard

emphatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2015, 03:28:38 pm »
Progress is good.  :cheers:

mnewt

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2015, 06:33:15 am »

Can't get more than 8 mill on stage 1. Neither can I seem to get past the boss at the end of stage 3....and it's usually pure luck that I get that far.

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Just because.
« Reply #30 on: September 20, 2015, 05:11:03 pm »
21,037,861. Final score. Enough of this crap.

WakiMiko

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: September 20, 2015, 07:41:51 pm »
Interesting that you switched ships. I find the Panzer Jäger much more difficult to play with due to the slow lock on.

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Just because.
« Reply #32 on: September 21, 2015, 09:05:05 am »
I like the Panzer's speed.  Since this is the first time I ever have played a bullet hell, I rely more on speed to survive than on skill. I can't exploit the scoring system to the max anyway, so the slower lock-on doesn't bother me. If you want to get out fast or clear the screen with shot, the Panzer is your ship. After playing around with the Panzer, I just find the Tiger to be slow and clumsy.

Unofficial scoreboard.

yamatetsu

• Offline Offline
  • Just because.
« Reply #33 on: September 21, 2015, 09:23:45 am »
High score compo game #175 will be Spatter.