Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Sega Monaco GP 1979/1980 - My Remake  (Read 164747 times)

geecab

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 09:09:17 am
Re: Sega Monaco GP 1979/1980 - My Remake
« Reply #400 on: June 17, 2024, 05:48:48 am »
Hi Geecab!

1.Yes indeed I have modified the value of the option-Menu_Contrast and we see much better the dashboard widgets

2. yes for the first time you configure the resizing of the dashboard the secondary frame is displayed at the same time you have to reboot the game

and for the new photos of the Monaco GP which shines with these new colors for me I really like !!!! ;)  thank you

:)

Great stuff GPForverer2024!

I've fixed the speedo and secondary bezel resize issue. I've also changed the scoreboard bezels that get packaged with the new ones above. I'll put together a new debug release soon (Need to try and figure out xfassa's steering issue now) :)

geecab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #401 on: June 17, 2024, 06:19:52 am »
Geecab,

Sorry for the delayed response.   I am just catching up on all the responses/posts from the last few weeks.   Looks like there may be some fixes for my issue.   I will give it a try tonight.   Before I read any of these posts,  I made/posted a few videos of my cabinet and teleport issue.   I will report back soon after trying done of the recommendations.   Thanks!!!

https://youtu.be/jrE81-RN8zo?si=v9JZ9Me2s6dEE2Iq

Hi xfassa!

Thanks for the videos, your Monaco GP cabinet looks great! But yes, shame about the steering issue. Very weird and I'm a bit baffled.

It isn't the same issue as the puddle steering issue I fixed recently. I can see you are using v1.5.0D5 so that would have the puddle steering issue fix in it anyway.

Unfortunately, I can't recreate what you are seeing yet, but I suspect it might be something to do with the way I occasionally re-position the mouse pointer (which is hidden when you play the game). I reset it to centre when it moves beyond the limits of the game window. Maybe you are seeing lots of resets due to your spinner's sensitivity. I'm just thinking out loud.

Can you post your configuration for the game instance. Can you also let me know what operating system you are using and the make/specs of the mini PC you are using . Also, I couldn't see very clearly from you video, but have you got a mouse and/or keyboard connected to you mini PC when you play the game?).

I'll do some more investigating :)

GPForverer2024

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 21, 2024, 02:25:54 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #402 on: June 17, 2024, 01:02:21 pm »
Hi GEECAB

I made 2 short videos with the D7 version  :)

Happy viewing FYI I didn't play well maybe the stress of being filmed lol ;D

https://youtube.com/shorts/AjvrURPjnlo

geecab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #403 on: June 18, 2024, 03:14:45 am »
Hi GEECAB

I made 2 short videos with the D7 version  :)

Happy viewing FYI I didn't play well maybe the stress of being filmed lol ;D

https://youtube.com/shorts/AjvrURPjnlo

Nice work GPForverer2024!!

Thanks so much for posting these. Really like the way you've styled the cabinet side art, great job!!  :applaud:

geecab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #404 on: June 18, 2024, 06:22:58 pm »
Hi GPForverer2024 & xfassa!

I've put together another debug version.

@GPForverer2024 - Hopefully t fixes everything you mentioned recently (Speedo needle range, secondary bezel resize & scoreboard bezel lettering improvement).

@xfassa - A bit of a shot in the dark, but I've made a speculative fix to way I reset the mouse movement. It plays exactly the same for me, I'm hoping it might made a difference for you.

The 32bit package - v1.5.0D8:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1h3pEoxoY5qaUOsebnZWRl5I5Lodbu9-1/view?usp=drive_link

See the release notes here. Extract from the release notes:

v1.5.0D8 (18-06-2024)

- Limit speedo gauge needle to appropriate range.

- Fix secondary bezel resize issue after exiting in-game editor.

- Scoreboard bezels 'Monaco GP' lettering now have less glow and less red tint.

- Speculative fix for steering 'teleport' issue when using mouse.

xfassa

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 07, 2024, 09:52:09 am
« Reply #405 on: June 19, 2024, 09:02:42 pm »
Geecab - SUCCESS!!!!!  The latest version resolved the issue.  I played several games with no teleporting.  I will continue evaluate and let you know if anything changes.  Thank you sooooooo much for all your efffort.  :-)

Unrelated, I do have one last observation (can't remember if I mentioned this in the past).  From what I remember, the original arcade immediately changed terrain colors (to blue) once extended play started.  It appears this version changes terrain color (to blue) only after extended play begins AND the current terrain section completes.  Is it possible to replicate the transition used by the original arcade?  If this is not possible, no worries.  The game is awesome as it stands.  I just wanted to share that observation.

Again, your time and effort are greatly appreciated.  I would happily contribute if you take donations.  :-)

geecab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #406 on: June 20, 2024, 12:12:36 pm »
Wow, fantastic news xfassa! I'll keep my fingers crossed a little longer while you continue to test, but things sound good to me so far!

>>From what I remember, the original arcade immediately changed terrain colors (to blue) once extended play started.  It appears this version changes terrain color (to blue) only after extended play begins AND the current terrain section completes.  Is it possible to replicate the transition used by the original arcade?

Good spot! You are absolutely right, its an immediate switch over! I'm all for making the Classic Monaco GP and Pro Monaco GP game modes as authentic as possible so will definitely change this (Expect another debug version soon). Going to watch a few more youtube videos of it being played so I get the sequence correct.

Again, your time and effort are greatly appreciated.  I would happily contribute if you take donations.

Very kind of you regarding donations, but honestly its my pleasure. Just really happy yourself and others are enjoying the remake, bringing back their Monaco GP memories :)
« Last Edit: June 20, 2024, 01:58:02 pm by geecab »

xfassa

• Offline Offline
« Reply #407 on: June 20, 2024, 09:45:41 pm »
Geecab - Everything continues to work great.  As a sanity check, I played a few games on the previous versions.  As expected, they all had teleporting issues.  Whatever you changed in the latest version definitely did the trick.  Thanks again.  :-)

GPForverer2024

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 21, 2024, 02:25:54 am
« Reply #408 on: June 21, 2024, 02:25:54 am »
Hi GEECAB!

as usual, nice work, the D8 version for me is great,

the BEZEL of the SCORES is much better in color, personally I love it!

The rev counters are impeccable

I am happy that you like my Monaco GP furniture :)

You are amazing bravo!! :applaud: :applaud:

Ali

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 09, 2024, 12:29:11 pm
« Reply #409 on: June 27, 2024, 06:40:26 am »
Many thanks Geecab!!
Great work in the 1.5.0 version!

It's no really important... only a minor cosmectical issue...
In my 2 computer screens (desktop & laptop!) there is a little bad positioning of glasses of the 2 lateral arcade machines (3 arcades mode)...
But in the vídeos I can't see it...

https://img.eselt.de/img/15655198_pVr6o38Ih2xHYgK1/ad.jpg

Best regards...

geecab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #410 on: June 28, 2024, 04:27:36 am »
@GPForverer2024 and @xfassa

Excellent stuff chaps! Thanks for the posts!! Hopefully, I'm not to far away from the next debug release. The normal play -> extended play switchover thing is a bit tricky but its getting there. Also, I noticed that depending on where your time runs out on the normal play (Grey) roads influences the point where you start on the extended play (Blue) roads. For example, sometimes you'll see the Blue road with gravel patches on *before* the bridge, sometimes *after* the bridge. I worked out the sequence now, I'll explain a bit better when I've implemented it all :)

@Ali

Hi again! Thanks for trying v1.5.0, glad you like it. Unfortunately, the link to your image doesn't work for me? What's the name of the configuration that you are having problems with?

Ali

• Offline Offline
« Reply #411 on: June 29, 2024, 04:31:07 pm »
Hi Geecab!!
Im using 1920 x 1080!
The problem with glasses appear on the beginning and the endings of horizontal screen (on the left of left arcade, Moon Patrol, and on the right of the right, Command)...

Best regards!
« Last Edit: June 30, 2024, 03:28:47 am by Ali »

geecab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #412 on: July 05, 2024, 01:53:05 pm »
Hi All!

I've put together another debug version. Hopefully, we are getting close to an actual v1.5.1 release!

@xfassa - I've added the immediate Normal play to Extended play road switchover thing.

@Ali - Hopefully, the default configurations fit the screen a little better now.

The game package - v1.5.0D9:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/13Qnj9md4-LwcCtp6zS58JsDWT-DpEjDR/view?usp=sharing

See the release notes here. Extract from the release notes:

v1.5.0D9 (05-07-2024)

- For Classic Monaco GP and Pro Monaco GP game modes, ensure Normal Play
   (Grey roads) to Extended Play (Navy blue roads) switch over happens
   immediately when the timer expires (and you have enough points).

- More precise artwork placement when self generating the default set of
   configurations.

xfassa

• Offline Offline
« Reply #413 on: July 07, 2024, 09:12:24 am »
GEECAB - Thank you for the update!  The game instantly transitions to the bonus conditions when the timer hits zero.  Absolutely perfect, thank you sooooooo much.  :-)

Ali

• Offline Offline
« Reply #414 on: July 08, 2024, 09:01:17 pm »
@Ali - Hopefully, the default configurations fit the screen a little better now.

configurations.

Many thanks Geecab!!
Superb work!!

Are you forgetting to update you 1st post?
(Or only not posting Debug versions)?
Maybe, are there people checking only the 1st, since you wrote some time ago:
"Each time I make a new version, I will update this post so that it contains a link to the latest version of the game :)

-=Latest Version=-
Monaco GP Remake v1.4.6 for Windows... ...
"

Best Regards, Ali

Ali

• Offline Offline
« Reply #415 on: July 08, 2024, 09:02:06 pm »

configurations.

Many thanks Geecab!!
Superb work!!

Are you forgetting to update you 1st post?
(Or only not posting Debug versions)?
Maybe, are there people checking only the 1st, since you wrote some time ago:
"Each time I make a new version, I will update this post so that it contains a link to the latest version of the game :)

-=Latest Version=-
Monaco GP Remake v1.4.6 for Windows... ...
"

Best Regards, Ali

geecab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #416 on: July 10, 2024, 06:18:48 am »
Excellent stuff xfassa and Ali! Thanks for the feedback!

@Ali - Whoops, good spot, I should have updated the 1st post with v1.5.0 but got side tracked with bug fixing. I won't update it just now as I'd rather people hang on for the v1.5.1 release. And yes, I won't update the 1st post with debug versions, only full releases.

I'm going to play test v1.5.0D9 a bit more myself before releasing v1.5.1. I may tweak the difficulty levels across the game modes and make them more consistent. I think the difficulty level for the Classic Monaco GP and Pro Monaco GP is about right, but the Pursuit and Stunt game modes for me are a bit easy... This weekend, I'll put v1.5.0D9 in my cabinet (That uses a spinner / mouse hack) and decide if things need to be tweaked after that. Hopefully, in a about a week I'll be ready to do a v1.5.1 release, unless you guys find any more bugs that is :)

geecab

• Offline Offline
« Reply #417 on: Yesterday at 09:09:17 am »
Hi all!

Thought I'd write a quick update as I've noticed a few issues when running the game on my cabinet. Just a few loose ends to sort out....

- [TODO] When steering with mouse/spinner, when entering your name for the hiscore table, the cursor used to select a letter moves too fast.
- [TODO] When steering with mouse/spinner, it is possible to 'teleport' just after leaving the starting grid and after leaving the boathouse.
- [TODO] In debug mode, the car/boat wrongly takes damage.
- [DONE] The stunt park game mode is too easy because the amount time awarded at the checkpoints was never getting reduced for subsequent laps.
- [DONE] At the end of the Pro game, when overtake bonuses are being awarded, it is now possible to hurry this along by stepping on gas (or tapping the start button).
- [DONE] Ability to reset hiscores without using the in-game editor (Or deleting the hiscores file). To reset the hiscores, hold down the 'R' key (which is configurable) for 10 seconds during the attract mode. A countdown appears after which you hear the explosion sound to indicate the reset is complete.