Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Fix-It Felix, Jr. Replica (Finished)  (Read 265770 times)

mrsinistar

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 05, 2017, 04:39:28 am
  • End of Line
Re: Fix-It Felix, Jr. Replica
« Reply #560 on: March 27, 2013, 11:00:26 pm »
Major kudos, Slydsho!!! :D  That's absolutely stunning!

Sjaak, got another sound for ya.  I finally nailed down the glass breaking sound; it was pretty complex to recreate since the white noise in the spectrum and the arcade ambient noise muddled everything so I couldn't figure out the various frequencies I needed.  But I finally got it down to where I'm happy enough with the sound.  It's under the mistersinistar folder, as  "fifjr_glass_final.wav".  Hope you like it!  I'm also gonna start working on the insert coin sound...that one should be a lot easier, lol!  :lol

Slydsho

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 19, 2014, 10:53:54 pm
  • Always Learning
« Reply #561 on: March 28, 2013, 12:45:05 am »
done with yawn and sleep sprites.... everything should be there for the first scene in the attract now.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 12:49:09 am by Slydsho »

mrsinistar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 05, 2017, 04:39:28 am
  • End of Line
« Reply #562 on: March 28, 2013, 03:04:36 am »
Whole bunch of new sounds for the game!  All the sound effects for the ending are complete.  I noticed that the jump sound effect has a very small "beep" before the main sound so I added that.   I also redid the Felix drop sound as he moves down a window to match what it sounds ingame.

Here's the list of sound effects that are uploaded.

fifjr_coin.wav
fifjr_drop.wav
fifjr_jump_final.wav
fifjr_kiss_walk_ralphyell_crash.wav
fifjr_transition.wav

I'm really proud of how these came out, especially the Ralph yell as he falls off the building. :)

nipsmg

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 08:38:35 am
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
« Reply #563 on: March 28, 2013, 08:22:47 am »
Still working on these. (someone else is too, I keep seeing updates in my folder).  Just need the "holding gene" arm, and we're good (some further tweaking is necessary on some of these sprites, but they'll do until we get them perfect.)

Sjaak

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 27, 2024, 11:32:28 am
« Reply #564 on: March 28, 2013, 08:25:39 am »
done with yawn and sleep sprites.... everything should be there for the first scene in the attract now.

Great work. And very nice to see how you build those sprites. I did not do it that way (which is probably why it's taking me so long) I'll get started on the atract sequence when I'm done with the roof sequence.

Whole bunch of new sounds for the game!  All the sound effects for the ending are complete.  I noticed that the jump sound effect has a very small "beep" before the main sound so I added that.   I also redid the Felix drop sound as he moves down a window to match what it sounds ingame.

I'm really proud of how these came out, especially the Ralph yell as he falls off the building. :)

I love those new sounds. I have to fix the roof sequence though, because it's not in sync with the sound.

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #565 on: March 28, 2013, 08:26:38 am »
Still working on these. (someone else is too, I keep seeing updates in my folder).  Just need the "holding gene" arm, and we're good (some further tweaking is necessary on some of these sprites, but they'll do until we get them perfect.)

Yep, that's me, I added some files (the spritesheet I use for the animation). I sent you an email about the resolution and pixelsize.

CoryBee

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 18, 2024, 07:28:48 am
  • Bopity Boopy
« Reply #566 on: March 28, 2013, 08:48:56 am »
You guys are awesome!

Keep up the good work....

« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 01:07:48 pm by CoryBee »

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
« Reply #567 on: March 28, 2013, 09:03:34 am »
Ok.  It's "Done".

I think they're all in there.  Just check the placement/sizing on the sprite sheet..  ralphfinal(maybe).png.

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
« Reply #568 on: March 28, 2013, 09:05:16 am »
Note: The 2nd and the last ARE different (are are supposed to be different).. His arm is lower and further back when he throws gene when compared to when he prepares to punch out the window..  (the bottom one is the "about to throw gene" sprite)

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
« Reply #569 on: March 28, 2013, 09:13:00 am »

Wow, you use paint?  I tried, couldn't do it (not skilled enough).  I just use Gimp, and I cheat.  I use the screenshot from the movie, scale it, zoom in to pixel depth, and trace pixels.  (Guessing where i have to).

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
« Reply #570 on: March 28, 2013, 09:15:16 am »

Here's the list of sound effects that are uploaded.

fifjr_coin.wav
fifjr_drop.wav
fifjr_jump_final.wav
fifjr_kiss_walk_ralphyell_crash.wav
fifjr_transition.wav

AWESOME.  You should be proud: fifjr_kiss_walk_ralphyell_crash.wav    That's amazing.  (Reminds me of my C64 :)  )

Slydsho

• Offline Offline
  • Always Learning
« Reply #571 on: March 28, 2013, 09:44:53 am »
after work today I will rescale all scene 1 sprites and add transparents.

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
« Reply #572 on: March 28, 2013, 09:52:12 am »
Slydsho: they look great man.  I think all we have left is the dump .. that should be trivially easy (Just create a square tile pattern and subtract like you did in Paint..  I may have time to attack that one today...  If I do I'll drop in in the dropbox.  I'll post here if I end up working on it so we're not duplicating effort.

Slydsho

• Offline Offline
  • Always Learning
« Reply #573 on: March 28, 2013, 10:18:08 am »
Im gonna get the dump bg done today too, we do need the Ralph sprites for it though.

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
« Reply #574 on: March 28, 2013, 10:35:44 am »
I can do those.  There's really 4 sprites. 

• Facing right
  • facing right mouth open
  • facing front arms one arm up one arm down mouth closed
  • facing front arms reversed mouth open

I just looked at the sequence.  The "facing right" sprites are just a mirror image of the "walking to stump" sprites, with an (approx)2 pixel raise and open mouth for the 2nd sprite.

The other two are just a modification of the "I'm Gonna Wreck It" sprites chopped at the chest.  We may even have the "arm down" from the climbing sequence. 

These should take no more than 20/30 mins total.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:58:34 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #575 on: March 28, 2013, 11:48:16 am »
Kudos to all of you for your hard work, but special props to Sjaak for not treating this project like it's some top secret cure for a rare disease, but rather embracing the community and it's willingness and desire to help. Such openness is refereshing.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

Felsir

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 28, 2022, 01:21:47 pm
  • Creating cab artwork
    • Felsir's World
« Reply #576 on: March 28, 2013, 01:36:24 pm »
Kudos to all of you for your hard work, but special props to Sjaak for not treating this project like it's some top secret cure for a rare disease, but rather embracing the community and it's willingness and desire to help. Such openness is refereshing.
I have to agree to that. It's fun to see how people chip in with their own effort.  :)

Bag of Magic Food

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 12, 2013, 08:55:56 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #577 on: March 28, 2013, 08:30:14 pm »
I guess there's that debate over the movie-accurate and "arcade"-accurate versions. Can't it be argued, just for argument's sake, that the movie version is the definitive version? Since the arcade version is based off of the movie ver. I'm sure it's been discussed before, but are there huge differences between the movie and arcade versions?

Personally, since I'm a collector of prop replicas and other such nerdy collectibles first, and new to the arcade collectible world, (been wanting to join in forever, finally jumped in with the destroyed popeye cab I got a hold of), I'd prefer a movie-accurate version.
Benjamoose proposed the same thing on the first two pages of this topic.  I can see the appeal: Who wouldn't want to have the same experience as a kid at Litwak's Arcade?  People aren't asking for cheap corporate-designed games "inspired" by the movie; they want the game exactly as depicted in the movie!

My mind's divided over the issue, though.  I think in creating the game for real, the developers were able to make it conform to early eighties game standards better, making it a more realistic representation.  The soundtrack's been discussed, but basically in terms of sound effects, the movie's FIFJ is full of high-quality voice samples overlapping with lots of almost "16-bit" sounding noises, while the real game makes all its new sound effects out of square waves.  Now the recent iPhone version of the game did borrow several sound effects from the movie, but the way it added the "I'm gonna wreck it!" is wrong in every way.  :P  And the music matches pretty well now, but it's interesting how the teaser trailer used all different music for the playing-the-game scene at the beginning; most of it was reused for the games on the original official homepage, but that in-game-play music was never used for anything else.  Could have been a fun "Hurry up" tune to switch to.

So what would you have to do to make the game all movie-accurate?  Well, let me think... (Warning, you asked for it, walls of text incoming)

In terms of game-play, the movie makes Felix out to be a true Mario-style jumping-based platformer character, who runs and jumps at varying speeds and heights with timed presses of the Jump button and requires the Jump button to reach higher floors.  He has a "skid to a halt" graphic unused by the real game for when he slows down.  He can run along the ground, even out beyond the edge of the building, whereas the real game's Felix only jumps down to the doorstep when he passes the door and sticks to the floor's windowsills otherwise.  The movie's Felix is shown to be able to hammer while running (in the 3D scene where Ralph's missing), and if he hammers while jumping, he stops his descent until he finishes hammering.  The player makes it look as if Felix needs to jump-attack like this just to reach the windows on the ground floor, but then Felix is able to jump directly from the ground to the second story; can he stand on the ground floor's windows at all?

I bet the developers of the in-real-life ports of the game took one look at all that and said, "Okay, there's no reason for Felix to have to control like this on such a basic level layout.  It's a grid-based, 'step on every panel' game. Felix should simply move from edge to edge with a single input."  Steve Wiebe compared it to Q*Bert and Pac-Man, while I like to call it Word Munchers with no wrong answers.  ;)  (And no time limit in the arcade versions that would make this difficult! No way would this thing munch enough quarters to turn a profit.)  Like, in judging the Jump button to be mostly superfluous, they went and made the Jump button mostly superfluous.  So, it's up to you to decide if the developers wimped out on crafting the more sophisticated platforming experience intended by the creators of the movie, or if they correctly determined how such a game really ought to play.

Then you have minor little changes in the graphics to consider, some of which Benjamoose already mentioned.  On the title screen, the real arcade game changes "CO." to "COMPANY" with perhaps a little more space before the "ALL RIGHTS RESERVED", replaces "INSERT COIN" with a flashing "PRESS 1P OR 2P START", and already has the scores displayed above the title; then it superimposes "CREDITS 02" in the lower-left corner during the whole attract mode.  I think comparing the start of the intro story scene, the screen's not as wide, and it doesn't show the current score or number of lives yet.  Pressing a player start button makes the game start from when Ralph walks on to say "I'm gonna wreck it!", while in the movie, it starts from when the building is being constructed.  Although, since it was the first game of the day and Ralph wasn't there yet, maybe they only did that then to buy him more time.  :)  Though it may not be in the real game, it could be nice to add a feature where you can push a button to skip ahead to later points in the opening scene after quarter-drop to get to the game-play sooner.

It looks like a thicker cluster of dust clouds over the construction in the movie, the overlap in bulldozer treads may be different, and the Nicelanders seem to enter the building more slowly in the real arcade game.  There's a lot of possible little inaccuracies in timing like that, or missing frames of animation that might have been left out on purpose to imitate a more limited video memory (or to "protect assets", whatever that means), or one-pixel errors in graphics like Benjamoose said to have found with things like window shadows or the light part of Super Felix's hat, which can be difficult to determine when we only have camcorder footage to work from for Disney's cabinets.  (Oh yeah, and didn't I mention that the movie gives little drop shadows to all the objects against the background for some reason?)  So maybe it's better if I just take write down peculiar details I remember noticing when I stepped frame-by-frame through the game-play scene on the Blu-Ray, then someone else can figure out what was or wasn't kept in the real deals and whether they're worth including.

Only in the movie does Ralph make a big gray dust cloud at the top, which leaves a large chunk of the building missing behind him during play.  Okay, so Felix enters...  Does Ralph always start off going to the left in the game?  He starts off going to the right in the movie.  Oh, you should know that the real arcade version is the only one where Felix always fixes two windowpanes at a time, even without a power-up pie.  Honestly, I think they made that change just to speed the game up a little, to make up for the slowness of running around.  I mentioned Felix's missing skid frame... Ralph also has a couple of preparatory frames before he starts pounding which I'm not sure are in the real game.  First he winces with his arms pulled in a little tighter, then he stretches his arms up as high as he can with his mouth wide open.  Stepping frame-by-frame also let me see that transitional frame from Ralph's hyper-punching where both his hands and feet are off the ground.  After a while in the movie, pounding makes the ledge stretch down a pixel, and hyper-punching makes bricks come up from over top of it. (?)

Did anyone catch that the 100 that floats out of windows has two different graphics?  It starts out a little smaller, just a straight line for the 1, then it expands a few frames later.  Curiously, the real arcade version has a major delay in tallying the points, only adding the hundred once the graphic disappears, while the movie's game adds it when it appears.

Ah, and now that I look again, the arcade version also does make the bricks bounce off the ground and flicker before they disappear, though I feel the movie makes it a little easier to see.  And I see that bricks that break windows on the arcade game get used up in the process of breaking the single pane, so there's no danger of one brick taking out a whole column of windows as in the first Flash version.  The movie shows window-breaking happening a little differently, though: The window flickers a few times to blink out of existence, just as it blinks in when Felix fixes it, while the real game makes the piece of glass fall out with a crash, just as when Ralph tears up the level to begin with.  I feel the way the real game did it works better, since without the falling glass and sound effect I often found myself going "Huh? But I thought that window was already fixed!" while watching the movie.  But you can add a little blinking for fun if you want.

Now, when the Nicelander shows up with the pie, a few unusual things happen.  Arcade Ralph can only pound at three specific spots on the ledge, and this seems true of Ralph in the movie, but then he stops at a point between left and center to just pump his arms like in the pre-level animation before moving on.  The earliest iPhone version made Ralph do this after every pounding session.  (Another fact I just noticed about the arcade version is that getting killed makes all the falling bricks vanish, and getting killed by a brick also makes Ralph shuffle all the way back to the left before doing any more pounding.)  On the Blu-Ray, I was able to make out that the Nicelander was Deanna, who takes three frames to get all the way up inside the window, and on the next-to-last frame you can see the window frame pushed halfway up.  Then she has a frame where she calls out to the left, with a word balloon above her and accompanying soundbite: "YOOHOO", and purple music notes float out from behind the word balloon.  I saw that BadBoyBill added the "YOOHOO".   :laugh:  I couldn't guess, however, if the "YOOHOO" is there on every level, or just for the first level, or just for Deanna, or even if it's supposed to be only Deanna who dispenses the pies ever.  Maybe Mary does too.   :-\  Then you have Super Felix, with a questionable control scheme and sparkling golden ring animation that only the latest smartphone version has done an imitation of so far, but more on that later.

The 500 that floats out of the last window isn't red as in the real game (and on the door in the Bonus Level), but cycles through several colors.  This was with Super Felix, though, whose hat and hammer cycle colors, so maybe the palettes were getting passed around there or something.  The 100s from the windows Super Felix fixed come out from behind the windows for some reason.  I don't know if it's some object limit from the Super Felix effect, but in that same shot the bricks were no longer bouncing or blinking when they landed, so maybe it was just a layering error on the animators' part.  Though, in the Activision game, the bricks simply land flat on the ground when they show Fix-It Felix at the very end, so they were never too careful with the consistency of this.

The cutscenes are amusing in that the movie isn't even consistent with itself.  Take the scene where Felix enters and grabs his hammer.  In the real game, he runs across a whole blank screen to do it.  The first time he does it in the movie, he starts to enter from the side of the screen with the apartment building still on there, but then in a close-up he's running across a blank screen like in the real game, then suddenly he's running onto the grassy plane again to finish his entrance.  The second time this happens, he does the whole thing on the screen with the building, like the hammer was right there.  I think the movie is trying to make it look as if there's no horizontal scrolling in the game, but then is Ralph saying "I'm gonna wreck it" when only a little of the building is visible, or is he supposed to have done it right up against the complete building where the word balloon would probably be cut off the edge?

At the beginning of the finale, Ralph is saying "I'm gonna wreck it!" and flailing and growling when he's already at the top of the screen--and well, at least that first part is true for the iPhone version now.  In that scene there are 7 Nicelanders just sitting at their windows the whole time Felix is doing his thing: the six regulars, plus... is that Rich Moore in the lower-left?!  :o  Maybe they're just trying to get Mr. Litwak's attention that "the gang's all here".

So then, the rooftop scenes:  Right off the bat, the realized arcade version adds Felix lifting up his hammer which then shines underneath the "You fixed it!" message first.  That makes it less movie-accurate than the Flash version there, but I guess the screen was kind of boring the way it was. The exact line-up of Nicelanders keeps changing in all four scenes it's shown in the movie, and differs in the Flash and arcade ports as well, not even agreeing on whether there should be five or six of them.  The first time you see the roof in the movie, it's the regular six you see in the game, with Deanna handing Felix the pie and Nell kissing him.  Then it cuts to a close-up, the one seen way back in the teaser trailer--but right here there's some weirdness, as before, Ralph was right up against the end of the roof, but suddenly the roof is much wider, giving room for Ralph to be carried before being thrown.  The other staging goof is with the clouds, which are smaller and far apart before the close-up, but then are suddenly the larger kind and together in the middle in order to conceal and reveal the medal.  Did those big clouds just poof out of nowhere, or did the little clouds zoom together and change shape?  Also for some reason the top of Deanna's head inflates a little after she hands Felix the pie. (?) Oh, maybe it's just another layering error, with Deanna bouncing up behind herself.  Anyway, the smartphone version uses this same line-up of Nicelanders, only with everything scaled all wrong and the ladders going up to the roof, and no presentation of awards.  The Flash version has the same six, except the order has been shuffled so that the two on the right have become the two on the left, meaning it's Mary who kisses Felix, and that guy in blue who would hand him the pie if they had the animation frames for it.  There it's the medal that scales smoothly and the Nicelanders that walk in huge chunks.  :(  Looks like the real arcade game may have added a cloud on the far right when Ralph is thrown.

The real arcade version has only 5 Nicelanders on the roof, leaving out...  No, not Gene, but that guy in blue I don't know the name of.  The arcade, movie, and Flash versions each pick a different set of four Nicelanders out of the regular six to say "Fix it Felix!", but it would make sense to leave Gene out of these four if he's the one getting thrown out the window.  Actually, I think the reason for leaving one out from the rooftop is to fix that spacing error I mentioned, along with moving the door a little more to the left, so that there's room for the Nicelanders to walk before picking up Ralph, and so that he can be centered across them so it looks as if they're all doing some lifting.  When you see it happen in 2D in the movie, Ralph's really only on top of three of them, and so the other three just bring up the rear to watch him fall, with Nell getting out of synch by a pixel a few times.  As a matter of fact, in the third rooftop scene toward the end of the movie, Nell isn't doing any lifting, only the other five, yet it's all six doing the lifting the final time.  And in the second scene, where we push through the screen to see the aftermath of it, Nell isn't there at all.  Skipping out on work early?  She doesn't enter the building with the other five at the beginning, either.  I wonder if Disney was waffling on how much Nell should be a part of the game.  (The transition to 3D also cheats the characters' sizes a little so Felix can fit through the door.  And it doesn't really make sense there that we can see the whole building then when it normally doesn't all fit there at the standard resolution, but maybe we've been given "magic eyes" to see past the black around the title screen even before passing through it.)

All in all, the point I'm trying to make is that the movie may be implying that different Nicelanders can be part of the line-up in differing orders on the roof, as the later rooftop scenes feature Nicelanders I don't recognize from the game.  The scene where Ralph's missing also acts as if there can be just three Nicelanders calling "Fix it Felix!" from over the ledge where Ralph would play.  So the movie-accurate way may be to randomize them more, as if they're trading shifts, the way Sugar Rush Speedway has the random new racers added to the roster, or how Hero's Duty was able to get by without Ralph pretending to be Private Markowski for the rest of the day, as if he had an understudy... Actually that one makes the most sense, since I've actually played first-person shooters where the faces are randomized.  Maybe you can take the scene where everyone is running around Niceland looking for Ralph and try to come up with "neutral" versions of them to create a larger cast.  Oh, also, the way the rooftop scene is shown in 3D at the end, the Nicelanders appear to be bouncing up a little higher than in the arcade, where they only bounce up by one pixel.  That might make the Flash version a better translation of the 3D form, but then I can't understand how in 3D the medal changes from having Felix's name to having a hammer symbol and gaining a white stripe on the ribbon.  And it's not just that they changed it in the ending; look at Felix's room in HD, and all his medals have white stripes and hammers.  ???  I also don't quite get how being set further into the building in 3D makes only the middle column of windows have the thinner "capstone" sticking up from them on the arcade screen.

Oh, and if we're talking prop replicas, the facade's a little different too.  I think the real one left off the little "1982 Tobikomi of America Inc" copyright notice around the bottom of the screen.  For some reason the movie left the cabinet art with Felix in a bright green shirt, a callback to an earlier design for him, which is also on the little train inside the game world.  On all the real FIFJ cabinets, Felix is in his current light blue shirt.  The movie's cabinet also features more instructions than necessary: You can see on the bottom there are three power-up pies in different colors instead of just one (Were there going to be different pies with different effects? Imagine!), and on the left half of the panel between the control board and the screen border are some more diagrams about what Felix can and can't jump on, which don't make a lot of sense as they seem to have been copied from Donkey Kong without much thought as to how much applies to Felix.  You can read some of them on this papercraft.  And even the real-world cabinet uses the old sprite for Felix that looks like a bad knock-off of Super Mario.  Also, did any of the real cabinets even install a coin detector, or are they all on permanent "Free Play"?  I didn't really take a good look at the coin slots or speaker in the movie to see what was different.

Now, as for Super Felix...
Also, the movie version is not very playable. Basically, you just have to wait for a pie and finish the level in 2 seconds.
When Felix eats the pie and he goes into Tornado mode and fixes all the windows in 3 seconds?
People have described this as an "instant win", but I've rationalized it as a combination of the rapid movement from the Flash version with the rapid fixing from the smartphone version, which the player took advantage of with very quick hands.  The "super-shine" effect on the windows is interesting, though; is it just for show, or could it mean that, say, those windows can't be re-broken for another second or two?  Not only does each window get the shine as it's fixed by Super Felix, but upon fixing the last window, all the windows that were fixed as Felix shine one more time.  Another shine effect goes up all the windows in the "Ralph is missing" scene just to show Felix that none of them are broken.

I'm more perplexed by all the extraneous animation Felix goes through upon receiving the power-up pie.  You only even see him lift up the pie and wince in the Flash version, but in the movie, it flickers as Felix looks at you, he proceeds to shove it in his mouth, then he just kinda stares upward with his hands on his hips while bricks bounce off his hat, which makes him nod in reaction and give off sparks I didn't see in the real game (at least these could be added).  Then Felix holds up his hammer and smiles, stretches and squashes, turns the hammer into fire which turns his arms into a sparkling golden ring, and twirls around before the player begins controlling him as Super Felix. (?)  Yeah, so, does the player have to wait through all that?  Is Felix forced to stop and do that when he gets hit with a brick?  Is it an idle animation which you could skip?  Honestly I think it's just a way to show the audience that it's easy for Ralph to resent Felix when Felix looks so smug, but it's fun to wonder about.

Bag of Magic Food

• Offline Offline
« Reply #578 on: March 28, 2013, 08:34:34 pm »
The good thing is that the main loop is the only song from the soundtrack that's different in the arcade game.  All the attract mode, Felix Intro and Game Win music is exactly the same in the movie, albeit played through a crappy speaker.  :lol
Huh? That's not quite true. The Felix intro was missing the E-flat & G chord hit, and the final Level Complete jingle seems to have been cut altogether, and I still don't know why!   ???  The missing notes aren't hard to figure out, though.

There are no birds, no flowerboxes, no pile of bricks. And you only have to fix the ground floor.
Well, it is only the first level.  All the obstacles and other complications aren't supposed to come until later!  The movie has bricks break the windows awfully frequently for the first level, too.  And maybe the movie simply cut past the second screen... though I see the score didn't change, so probably not.  It could just be an attract mode, though, like how the real game's attract mode only demos one screen, except the movie's demo goes on to show the win scene, watched by children with very little pocket money.  ;D  And come to think of it, if it's the attract mode, then that explains why every frame from the time-lapse pull-back scene is from that same game-play session.  That whole sequence of game-play events was in place long before the actual game was made, as there were once unplayable cabinets which showed loops of the same things happening, only in an older art style or with some shots missing or out of sequence, so it was probably always designed to show off the intended play style and have Ralph comment on his life over it.  I don't know why the "Level 1 Complete" sign blinked and lingered so long unless it was some kind of prompt to press a button to continue, though, or how Felix would be expected to fill in the huge gap in the building behind Ralph if that was indeed in the game.  (Maybe it works a little like Wreck-It Rumble, where you build ledges before you can stand on them?)  But hey, I also can't explain how the Street Fighter 1 cabinet contained Street Fighter 2.    :-\

Also consider, the building's tall enough that the movie's game would have likely used a second screen of it.  The odd thing is that you can see a whole four stories going up before the next ledge, and then there are two more stories of regular rooms before the penthouse.  This seems to indicate that you were never meant to play with the penthouse in view--not only is it awkward for Ralph to step over that balcony time after time, but that would have frequently given him a view of another game that could have short-circuited a large part of the plot of the movie!  Another fact occurs to me as to how you could extend the game: The building is only five windows wide in front, but it's eight windows long on the sides.  Maybe in later levels, you play on one of those sides, widening the playing field.  This actually appears to be the case in the Gamefly commercial Ralph and Felix starred in.

I guess you could just assume the movie would introduce the same obstacles as the real games, but one could make an argument that the ducks should not be included, as they're never shown or mentioned in the entire movie, and it might break the story if Ralph had additional bad guys in his game to hang out with, suggesting that they were created solely to add challenge to the defictionalized game as a horizontal hazard and were never considered in the story of the movie.  (Heck, the only confirmation they're ducks was on the description to the summer 2012 phone version on iTunes; in-game, they can just print "Avoid" and then the graphic.)  In the ducks' defense, however, you could also argue that they might just keep to themselves and not care whether they're invited to social gatherings, thus offering Ralph no solace.  And I thought I saw a pond behind Ralph's dump home.  Is that where the ducks live?  Maybe it's just the water under the bridge that connects the train station to the Niceland property, but hey...  (I once guessed that the movie would end with a duck from some defunct hunting game immigrating to Fix-It Felix, Jr. to explain this, and... Hmm, almost got it.)

And what role would Q*bert, Slick and Coily play in the game????
Well, apparently the baddies take over the wrecking, while Q*Bert gives Felix a ride.  I don't know what all that does for him, though I did see them clear two window lengths in a single jump.  And if Felix had to jump to reach windows before, then maybe he doesn't have to now?

But yeah, since we don't see an entire "Bonus Level" play out, we don't know what the entire ongoing enemy pattern could be or what all the objectives are, leaving a lot of it to your imagination if you want to implement it.  Is it really just the same goals but with extra characters stuffed in and Ralph smiling?  I didn't see Sam and Slick do anything to the windows but hop around after they entered, so maybe you could have them do something like steal pies away.

As for Q*bert, Slick, Coily, etc, it seems that Q*bert basically functions the way Yoshi does for Mario (except with possibly a different ability rather than eating enemies; doesn't he fire something from his snout in the cartoons? Maybe he can fire at the baddies. Perhaps hitting them would stun them for a bit, or "kill" them).
Funnily enough, I've read that Q*Bert was originally given the snout to be able to fire projectiles at his enemies, but then his creators simplified the game to where Q*Bert couldn't fight back, yet they left the nose on, because... it makes him unique, I guess?

I think the decision to keep it "arcade" accurate is for a couple reasons. The main reason I agree it should be kept to arcade version, not movie version, is the fictional timeline here. In Disney's fake timeline for it, the arcade came out first in 1982 and this movie in 2012 is just based off the arcade. So in that regard, the arcade they made (even though it wasn't actually made back in '82) is older than the movie and therefor more accurate.

So, the movie made in 2012 is of course going to get some of the details wrong from the original 1982 arcade and that's why there's differences between the two.
Ahah! If that were true, that really would make it akin to recreating that special arcade version of Wild Gunman where you face 4 outlaws at once, all scaled onto different planes, with extra vocalizations and extra animation for the sombrero where it rotates smoothly.  Succeeding at it produces a "CRACK SHOT !!!" award I've never seen in the NES game, but with no status bars above or below to record any of this.

It's like all the sins of all the different portrayals of Fix-It Felix, Jr., committed all at once, plus excessive seizure-flashing!  :D

Hmm, but if we're going with the timeline where the game was real in 1982 but the movie didn't really happen, then doesn't that mean we need to make Garlan Hulse's and Kent Zborski's scores attainable?  Or is this the universe where you can buy a real Fix-It Hammer that really works?  :lol

Slydsho

• Offline Offline
  • Always Learning
« Reply #579 on: March 28, 2013, 09:06:58 pm »
done with scene 2 background of the attract sequence

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
« Reply #580 on: March 28, 2013, 09:08:25 pm »
@BagOfMagicFood.  WOW.

-----------------------------------------------------------

OK I'm going to stay out of this whole argument with the movie vs. arcade version.  We're creating the arcade version.

------------------------------------------------------------

Status update:  I finished all of the sprites with ralph in the dump.  I'm not thrilled with the "looking surprised and yelling about the stump" sprites.  They're half-assed.  The "Swinging arms / pissed off" sprites are good.  We can use them, they're complete.  but the 3 previous sprites suck.  I unfortunately have to call it a night earlier than expected tonight.

@Slydsho:  If you can take my "surprised" sprites and fix them up, we should be done with sprites.
--- EDIT ---- maybe not.  Still need crane + cloud (erecting the building) sprites too... ALMOST there...

« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 09:12:07 pm by nipsmg »

Sjaak

• Offline Offline
« Reply #581 on: March 29, 2013, 06:22:12 am »
done with scene 2 background of the attract sequence

Looks just like the real version!

Status update:  I finished all of the sprites with ralph in the dump.  I'm not thrilled with the "looking surprised and yelling about the stump" sprites.  They're half-assed.  The "Swinging arms / pissed off" sprites are good.  We can use them, they're complete.  but the 3 previous sprites suck.  I unfortunately have to call it a night earlier than expected tonight.

@Slydsho:  If you can take my "surprised" sprites and fix them up, we should be done with sprites.
--- EDIT ---- maybe not.  Still need crane + cloud (erecting the building) sprites too... ALMOST there...

Nice job, I'll start working on the attract sequence when the start sequence is done (almost done).

I've been working on the start and roof sequence. I redid the whole roof sequence, because the flash version was completely different. Here is my progress so far. Still a couple of small things, but almost there. I'm using the recreated sounds by mrsinistar  :notworthy:

BUCKETHEAD

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 04, 2024, 07:31:52 pm
  • Don't hate the player .... Hate the Game
« Reply #582 on: March 29, 2013, 07:12:28 am »
@BagOfMagicFood.  WOW.

-----------------------------------------------------------

OK I'm going to stay out of this whole argument with the movie vs. arcade version.  We're creating the arcade version.

Yes i agree! Arcade version all the way.

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
« Reply #583 on: March 29, 2013, 08:17:25 am »

Nice job, I'll start working on the attract sequence when the start sequence is done (almost done).

I've been working on the start and roof sequence. I redid the whole roof sequence, because the flash version was completely different. Here is my progress so far. Still a couple of small things, but almost there. I'm using the recreated sounds by mrsinistar  :notworthy:

@SJaak:  Awesome.  That looks amazing.   I can't wait to see the intro sequence as well!  I'm psyched.  Looks like we're almost done with the attract sprites too.

I went back and fixed my horrible "you moved my stump" sprites.

I can't put my finger on what i don't like about them.  They're REALLY close, but the 3 "youmovedmystump(yell/surprised/growl).png" sprites still seem off somehow.  Too cartoony maybe?  I went back and looked at the movie and I can't put my finger on it.  The tweaks I made are leaps and bounds better then the garbage I had yesterday, but there's still something off about them.  Maybe those sprites are just wierd in general in the game. 

*shrug*.  For now plug them in.  Maybe they'll look right in context.  If not, we'll see what we can do to tweak them.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2013, 08:22:04 am by nipsmg »

Tarman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 23, 2019, 04:38:29 pm
  • (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
« Reply #584 on: March 29, 2013, 09:37:12 am »

Hmm, but if we're going with the timeline where the game was real in 1982 but the movie didn't really happen, then doesn't that mean we need to make Garlan Hulse's and Kent Zborski's scores attainable?  Or is this the universe where you can buy a real Fix-It Hammer that really works?  :lol

GOOD POINT!!!   ;D ;D ;)

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
« Reply #585 on: March 29, 2013, 11:25:19 am »
@SJAAK:  :notworthy:

;D ;D ;D

z-kun

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 28, 2013, 11:25:19 am
  • I want to build a 1/6th scale arcade.... >:3
« Reply #586 on: March 29, 2013, 11:44:14 am »
That roof sequence is looking great! :D

Is there still something specific you guys need help with? I want to do something to help but at this point you guys seem mostly done except for some loose ends....

The odd thing is that you can see a whole four stories going up before the next ledge, and then there are two more stories of regular rooms before the penthouse.  This seems to indicate that you were never meant to play with the penthouse in view--not only is it awkward for Ralph to step over that balcony time after time, but that would have frequently given him a view of another game that could have short-circuited a large part of the plot of the movie!

You can also see that other game from the roof though; Ralph comes to enjoy the moments on the roof because of that fact. I think Ralph just never paid enough attention to Sugar Rush previously to remember the exact details of it. He had a bit of distain for it earlier in the movie, perhaps finding it too cutesy/colourful/candy themed for his tastes. He's the type who finds brightly coloured, noisy, hyperactive stuff kind of obnoxious (at least until he gets used to it, heh), so he'd probably just ignore what little he saw of Sugar Rush before the movie.

Yeah, I also remember reading that Q*Bert's attack was supposed to be in the game as well, but got dropped. I just figured that the cartoon might be the best source for how his shooting power would work, if one wanted to implement such a thing, since the games dropped it.

BUCKETHEAD

• Offline Offline
« Reply #587 on: March 29, 2013, 01:11:18 pm »
@SJAAK:  :notworthy:

;D ;D ;D

I second that !

:notworthy:  :notworthy:  :notworthy:

SpongeFreak52

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 16, 2024, 03:40:02 pm
« Reply #588 on: March 29, 2013, 01:35:32 pm »
Incredible work Sjaak! Looks pretty spot-on!

Slydsho

• Offline Offline
  • Always Learning
« Reply #589 on: March 30, 2013, 12:18:09 am »
I went back and fixed my horrible "you moved my stump" sprites.

I can't put my finger on what i don't like about them.  They're REALLY close, but the 3 "youmovedmystump(yell/surprised/growl).png" sprites still seem off somehow.  Too cartoony maybe?  I went back and looked at the movie and I can't put my finger on it.  The tweaks I made are leaps and bounds better then the garbage I had yesterday, but there's still something off about them.  Maybe those sprites are just wierd in general in the game. 

*shrug*.  For now plug them in.  Maybe they'll look right in context.  If not, we'll see what we can do to tweak them.

ill see what i can do to make them look tantalizing.. ::ninja::

Slydsho

• Offline Offline
  • Always Learning
« Reply #590 on: March 30, 2013, 01:18:46 am »
pixel for pixel, they are perfect to the attract

EDIT** all sprites for scene two now in Scene 2 folder
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 01:29:22 am by Slydsho »

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
« Reply #591 on: March 30, 2013, 08:22:49 am »
pixel for pixel, they are perfect to the attract

EDIT** all sprites for scene two now in Scene 2 folder

you are a champion.

nipsmg

• Offline Offline
  • ROONEY!! ERRGH!!
    • Arcadia
« Reply #592 on: March 30, 2013, 09:45:13 am »
Crane is done.  I went pixel for pixel.

WHen I was done I said "Ugh, it looks so jagged and like it was just tacked onto the bulldozer"

Then I looked at the video again, and that's EXACTLY what it is.   :dunno

***Edit***.  Maybe the red is too much.  Feel free to change that color to whatever else works in the normal palette.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 10:53:54 am by nipsmg »

BUCKETHEAD

• Offline Offline
« Reply #593 on: March 30, 2013, 11:36:24 am »
 Maybe the red is too much. 

It looks outstanding! Awesome job!
I couldn't figure out if it was RED or ORANGE ?

Slydsho

• Offline Offline
  • Always Learning
« Reply #594 on: March 30, 2013, 11:49:24 am »

WHen I was done I said "Ugh, it looks so jagged and like it was just tacked onto the bulldozer"

***Edit***.  Maybe the red is too much.  Feel free to change that color to whatever else works in the normal palette.
looks great! i removed the exhaust pipe, because from what i can find, it doesn't have one. See Here

Bag of Magic Food

• Offline Offline
« Reply #595 on: March 30, 2013, 09:31:49 pm »
Nice... I was going to say that the Nicelanders forgot to close the door to the roof behind them, but then I checked back again, and that is another thing that only happens in the movie, along with everyone moving faster in that scene.  So, I think the main thing you need to fix now is the smallest graphic for the medal (the frame before it becomes part of Felix's sprite): In both the movie and all the high-quality recordings of the arcade screen I could find, the medal has no engravings on it at that size; it's just a plain yellow circle at that point, and it definitely looks a bit larger than what you have.  The medium-size medal's "FELIX" still has the embossing around each letter and is still fully readable though, with no blurring of the lines in the F and E if that's what happened to yours.  Once the medal is on Felix, I don't know why that arcade recording makes the center of the medal look so much darker than the rim, but all other sources of that graphic show it as a bright yellow, including that pamphlet with the ad for the sweepstakes to win the game, so I'm betting it's just an effect of using a camera on a video screen.

Now that I look again, unless the Youtube processing skipped all the frames of it somehow, you still need to add the graphic of Deanna turning to the left and holding the pie in her hand.  Also, it's hard to see, but I do believe the dark-skinned Nicelanders lost their noses in the conversion to Flash!  :o  So if your sprites of them were sourced from the online Flash version, you probably ought to try to add the noses back on; they might even be the same shade of orange as some of the other Nicelanders'.

When you get to the stump scenes, don't forget to make the background bounce while the bulldozer is onscreen!  I think it's a 3-frame cycle, and it's only on those first two screens, not when the building is being built.

It occurs to me that the movie's quirk of making Felix stop falling when he hammers in mid-air is supported by promotional videos where Felix floats over the things he fixes.

Does the real game let you mix jumping with other actions like that?

(Thinking back to the second scene of game-play, I don't see why Felix would really need to turn his back to the player when he does an unexpected jump or do that silly goose-waddle just to walk slowly... but if climbing on the fire escape were a legitimate action and not just something Felix did to sneak away, that would make dodging even easier!)

And I remembered the ad where Jack McBrayer claimed to have been nearing the world record high score after playing the same game for three days straight--except when they showed the screen, the score was only 800.  I guess he got so sleepy, he didn't notice that he'd already gotten some Game Overs.  (Okay, so the real reason is that they just used the demo from the movie for that screen.  :))

Yeah, I was gonna say, it looks as if they used a larger pixel size for the stripe going around the crane arms, like a Commodore 64 graphic or something.  And honestly, I thought the bulldozer details were only in two shades of gray, but then, small amounts of red are what I'm colorblindest to.

mistersh0w

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2014, 12:59:14 pm
« Reply #596 on: March 31, 2013, 11:35:06 am »
I'm really digging all of this detailed discussion on the arcade vs. movie versions of the game. Fun stuff.

I was at Disneyland yesterday and finally got my hands on their FIFjr, after playing Sjaak's version for a while, I could barely tell the difference! I did notice that the jump button feels a lot nicer in the arcade version, but I think I read that Sjaak is working on that. The arcade version just felt quicker and easier to jump left and right over obstacles.

I also recorded about 3-5 minutes of gameplay audio with my iPhone right next to the speaker, if anyone wants those files let me know.

Fantastic work everyone, I've said it before but I'm really loving this community!

BUCKETHEAD

• Offline Offline
« Reply #597 on: March 31, 2013, 12:07:28 pm »
I'm really digging all of this detailed discussion on the arcade vs. movie versions of the game. Fun stuff.

Speaking of the movie vs. arcade
This is the Movie version of PAC-MAN
Notice the Plug coming out of the cabinet (Not this way in real life) I own a PAC-MAN. This looks like a PC power supply.
The Side Art is not correct, Or the Control Panel Art.
And i wouldn't want my PAC-MAN to have a Restroom section in the game.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 12:11:23 pm by BUCKETHEAD »

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 01:58:34 pm
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #598 on: March 31, 2013, 02:23:11 pm »
Clearly, Litwack's running bootlegs in his place.
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

z-kun

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 28, 2013, 11:25:19 am
  • I want to build a 1/6th scale arcade.... >:3
« Reply #599 on: March 31, 2013, 03:02:42 pm »
Maybe it's a custom MAME machine he built a while back? XD