Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: $20 for font modification  (Read 2871 times)

crashwg

• Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 24, 2019, 11:01:05 am
$20 for font modification
« on: December 29, 2012, 10:35:06 pm »
This posting was originally me looking for a font.  It seems that the one I've got is as close as I'm going to find but I wouldn't mind if it were a bit closer in certain areas.  So I'll pay $10 $20 to someone who has experience in font making/modifying to fix it for me.  It should only be a couple small things.

If you're interested, leave a comment below or pm me.

Here's the original post:
I would like to add additional engravings to a firearm in the same font that is already there.

I have tried the manufacturer.
I tried myfonts.com's "what the font" search.  I even opened a "case" on their forums.
I have also posted on a gun forum I frequent asking for any help I can get.

This is the original engraving:

This is my best attempt to trace some of the letters with adobe illustrator to make them more clear for "what the font" to identify:

The closest I have been able to come is "ChevinLight" and here's an example:

It's pretty darn close but the G and the A specifically are what's getting my goose.

Anyway, the deal with the $10 is that someone finds a font that I end up using instead of chevin, they get $10 and my undying gratitude.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 03:40:13 pm by crashwg »
If there's bees in the trap I'm catching em
By the thorax and abdomen
And sanding the stingers down to a rough quill
Then I dip em in ink, and I scribble a bit
But if it they wriggle then I tickle em until they hold still
Lemme say it again
In my land of pretend
I use bees as a mf'n pen

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2024, 06:01:28 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
Re: Trying to identify a font $10 reward!
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2012, 12:37:01 am »
You've got a pretty good selection of letters there, 18 out of the bunch by my count.  Have you thought about just making the font yourself or editing ChevinLight to your liking?  There are some decent freeware font editors out there. http://fontstruct.com/ and http://fontforge.org/ are fairly decent utilities. 

Typefighter01

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 29, 2023, 09:10:21 pm
  • Back I guess...
Re: Trying to identify a font $10 reward!
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2012, 09:15:31 pm »
Hey Crash,

I think it is a font supplied by (or sold by) an engraving machine maker by the name of Gravograph. It looks like it might be be either "US BLOCK 1L" or one of their "SL" series of fonts (SL meaning "single line" as far as I can tell). It would make sense that you (or I for that matter) are having troubles finding a common font that matches as Gravograph would have altered a font to suit their machine and software. I believe engraving fonts need to have specific tool paths written and it makes sense to design fonts that are clear and with the least amount of motion or lifting. Also, it makes sense it would be an engraving font that would match your guns markings. Only thing not making sense to me is the font seems to match their logo? Anyway, just google "US BLOCK 1L font" and follow the few links that are there. Good luck....

crashwg

• Offline Offline
Re: $10 for font modification
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2013, 02:04:52 pm »
Bumping for topic change.  See first post.
But if it they wriggle then I tickle em until they hold still
Lemme say it again
In my land of pretend
I use bees as a mf'n pen

JDFan

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2023, 04:07:42 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2013, 03:42:18 pm »
If you just need to modify a couple letters you might try using windows Private Character Editor ( C:\WINDOWS\system32\eudcedit.exe ) with it you can modify the letters you want and save them as special characters for that font -- though they would only be useable on your systemor another system with your FONT and modifications installed. There is a tutorial on using the PCE located here - ( http://www.7tutorials.com/create-your-own-characters-private-character-editor )

ProperRogue

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 24, 2013, 05:51:52 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2013, 04:06:02 pm »
This one definitely has me scratching my head.  :dunno

I'll tell you what you can do though, forget WTF and their forums. It takes forever and a day, and even then you might not get a correct response.

http://typophile.com/typeid

^^^ I've been a member of the Typophile site for a few years now, and if anyone can help, it'll be those guys over there. While I'm just a few years wet of knowing the hobby, you'll find members there who have been working with fonts for 30+ years, and I'm confident you'll find the answer you're looking for.

crashwg

• Offline Offline
Re: $20 for font modification
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2013, 03:40:47 pm »
Bump for $ increase

See first post for details.