Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Build an OND designed cab 'Metropolis'  (Read 144651 times)

Jimbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • I have no idea what I'm doing.
    • Wood Finishes Direct
Re: Build an OND designed cab 'Metropolis'
« Reply #600 on: October 16, 2018, 02:38:53 pm »
Hey Ond

For your game, I read you're looking at Unity... have you heard of or tried Godot?  I've used godot (have a game in progress) and it's great. I found it much easier and nicer than Unity, but it depends what you have planned for the game.  Might be worth at least checking it out (better license than Unity for one thing).

:cheers:

Ond

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • build something
« Reply #601 on: October 17, 2018, 08:04:02 am »
Hey Ond

For your game, I read you're looking at Unity... have you heard of or tried Godot?  I've used godot (have a game in progress) and it's great. I found it much easier and nicer than Unity, but it depends what you have planned for the game.  Might be worth at least checking it out (better license than Unity for one thing).

Hey Jimbo, I've never heard of Godot, I checked out a few tutorials on it and I can see that it's got an intuitive node based approach to game design.  I'll have to research it some more too see if I'd like to use it instead of Unity.  Thanks for the that!   :cheers:
You might think that you're scared, but you're not.  That isn't fear.  That's your sharpness.  That's your power.

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #602 on: October 21, 2018, 11:58:45 am »
Hey Ond

I've done a few games in Unity, unfortunately I lost one that was SOOOO CLOSE to completion which was an arcade basketball game you played with the trackball. I can probably be more help with music or sfx though. Fire an email if you want to chat about it!

ZTylerDurden717

• Offline Offline
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #603 on: November 05, 2018, 11:34:29 am »
Hi Ond!

With no wood cutting experience ever, I'm happy to say that I was able to customize the bezel on a 16:10 27" LCD by applying letterboxing covers on the width so that it fits a 480p 4:3 screen.  It comes out to about a 24" 4:3 display!  It looks great and I'll post pics once I have more of the wood material cut out.

Quick question.  Since I'm really new to this, I don't have an eye for rounding the edges for the inside bezel area.  You first mentioned to leave 3/4ths of an inch outside the edges with a jigsaw, then with the router leave 2 inches from either side the inner bezel area.

Any reason why you didn't instead give us a visual of a compass arc on these inside edges to cut around it instead of leaving estimated distances as per the metrics above?  Is it because this is a judgement call in terms of how we perceive the arc should be angled?  It's not a big deal but since I'm new I don't have the eye for what the compass arc should exactly look like.

edit: Attaching photo of the inner bezel arc I drew with a compass.  Is that accurate?  It looks like it would give me a round turn, but you'll notice the 2 inch spacing on each side.  To me it's implying that my arc isn't as big as it should be, but if I were to make it rounder/larger, it'll deviate further from the original corner.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 02:39:55 pm by ZTylerDurden717 »

Ond

• Offline Offline
  • build something
« Reply #604 on: November 05, 2018, 05:30:13 pm »

I've done a few games in Unity, unfortunately I lost one that was SOOOO CLOSE to completion which was an arcade basketball game you played with the trackball. I can probably be more help with music or sfx though. Fire an email if you want to chat about it!

Your help was awesome on other projects eds1275, I might still need some help when the time comes.   :cheers:

Hi Ond!

With no wood cutting experience ever, I'm happy to say that I was able to customize the bezel on a 16:10 27" LCD by applying letterboxing covers on the width so that it fits a 480p 4:3 screen.  It comes out to about a 24" 4:3 display!  It looks great and I'll post pics once I have more of the wood material cut out.

Quick question.  Since I'm really new to this, I don't have an eye for rounding the edges for the inside bezel area.  You first mentioned to leave 3/4ths of an inch outside the edges with a jigsaw, then with the router leave 2 inches from either side the inner bezel area.

Any reason why you didn't instead give us a visual of a compass arc on these inside edges to cut around it instead of leaving estimated distances as per the metrics above?  Is it because this is a judgement call in terms of how we perceive the arc should be angled?  It's not a big deal but since I'm new I don't have the eye for what the compass arc should exactly look like.

edit: Attaching photo of the inner bezel arc I drew with a compass.  Is that accurate?  It looks like it would give me a round turn, but you'll notice the 2 inch spacing on each side.  To me it's implying that my arc isn't as big as it should be, but if I were to make it rounder/larger, it'll deviate further from the original corner.

Thanks!

Yes, good point, drawing in your cutting line with a compass is the way to go. That arc looks ok; I'd probably go with a slightly bigger radius for a smoother curve though. If you're inexperienced with a router, free cutting any shapes by eye may be less than ideal.   For a smooth clean curve using a template is always best. Flush trim cutting templates are quick to make in thin MDF.  I use thin nails to attach them to the board.  I've seen one guy on here who 3D prints cutting curves to use with a flush trim router bit - that's a great idea!
You might think that you're scared, but you're not.  That isn't fear.  That's your sharpness.  That's your power.

ZTylerDurden717

• Offline Offline
« Reply #605 on: November 05, 2018, 06:03:10 pm »
Thanks so much for confirming! I'll make the radius slightly larger. 

I'm definitely going to use a template for the CP.  As for the corners for these side panels-- I can pull it off free hand.  As long as I stay just outside the pencil line I feel confident doing it.  :cheers:

Also, I'm from Miami.  I was instantly sold on your art deco design since that's our staple architecture style at the beach.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 06:08:09 pm by ZTylerDurden717 »

ZTylerDurden717

• Offline Offline
« Reply #606 on: Yesterday at 08:43:58 pm »
hey vaderag,

Hope you're well!

How did you end up mounting the marquee art?  If you're using purple t-molding on the marquee wood panels, where are the marquee retainers?

Would really like to know what you did there.

edit: I researched the forums and noticed you considered making small grooves but since the marquee panels aren't "flat" it wasn't possible.  If you used tape/glue I'll definitely consider it too.  If you could be detailed in terms of how you applied the tape/glue with the t-molding I'll give it a go.  The t-molding color is a really nice touch and I wouldn't want to use a plain bracket.

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Today at 10:43:31 am by ZTylerDurden717 »

Sitemap 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31