Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Updated driver for AMD APU (Radeon HD 6410D)?  (Read 17230 times)

ahofle

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2023, 05:10:22 pm
    • Arcade Ambience Project
Updated driver for AMD APU (Radeon HD 6410D)?
« on: January 08, 2012, 12:25:24 am »
Hi Calamity.
Is there any possibility of getting an updated CRT Emu driver that supports the AMD APUs that have built in Radeon's?  I have this one and am trying to get the CRT emu driver working with it, but it says a support driver is not found for my hardware:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103955

I'm hoping it's just a matter of modifying hardware IDs like you did to get the HD 4890 working.
Thanks for your help!

Calamity

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2024, 05:26:05 am
  • Quote me with care
Re: Updated driver for AMD APU (Radeon HD 6410D)?
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 10:58:46 am »
Unfortunately it's much more than adding the new hardware IDs. Catalyst 9.3 is just too old to deal with those new chipsets, so you'd need a version based on Catalyst 11, provided Cat 11 allows the same functionality for custom resolutions that older versions.

I hope that the 'magic' resolution approach will make unnecessary the painful process of patching drivers in the future, as it could work just fine with the default 60 custom video modes allowed by the driver. At the moment I don't have the hardware to do this kind of tests, any help with this is welcome.
Important note: posts reporting GM issues without a log will be IGNORED.
Steps to create a log:
 - From command line, run: groovymame.exe -v romname >romname.txt
 - Attach resulting romname.txt file to your post, instead of pasting it.

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

Paradroid

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 10, 2024, 04:41:43 am
    • SCART Hunter
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 04:23:50 pm »
At the moment I don't have the hardware to do this kind of tests, any help with this is welcome.

What kind of hardware do you need?
My MAME/SCART/CRT blog: SCART Hunter

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2012, 06:13:29 am »
What kind of hardware do you need?

Jut a modern ATI card (HD 5000 / HD 6000) and an indepent box for testing. It's not big deal but I need my current boxes unmodified so I have a stable platform for testing. Anyway my real problem is lack of space-time.

EDIT: BTW what I meant by help is that someone with the proper hardware would perform some tests for us.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 06:34:52 am by Calamity »
Steps to create a log:

CRT Emudriver, VMMaker & Arcade OSD downloads, documentation and discussion:  Eiusdemmodi

ahofle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2012, 12:02:14 pm »
I would be happy to any testing for you.  Let me know.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2012, 01:43:36 pm »
Well, it would be great if you could test this for us.

The idea is to use your up-to-date drivers (Catalyst 11 or whatever) with your new hardware, and follow the 'magic' resolution route explained in this post:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=110905.msg1209299#msg1209299

(of course get the latest GM instead of the one there)

In order to be able to install the modelines, you'll need to edit vmmaker.ini and enable the option 'AnyCatalyst'.

Then try GM with that, I can't guarantee anything, you can even blue-screen your system (if this happened, you may need to restart in safe mode and reinstall the video driver), but whatever the results this test will be really useful.
Steps to create a log:

ahofle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2012, 02:56:16 pm »
OK I'll give it a shot.
Can you explain how this works behind the scenes?  Without the custom CRT_EMU driver, what would I be missing?  I assume the hardcoded bogus 320x240 and 400x300 resolutions will still be there and won't allow me to have a true 15khz 320x240?  How about emulators other than GM?  Would I just not have any 15khz resolutions for those?

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2012, 04:42:13 pm »
You're assuming right, but the 'magic' resolution hack should bypass the harcoded doublescan, as we're fooling the driver into thinking the resolution is 1234x instead of 320x or 400x, and thus it shouldn't trigger the doublescan flag. However we're using the right x value for the modeline data, as the driver doesn't check this!

On the other hand, the 60 modelines limitation is not a problem if we can produce nearly infinite modelines out a bunch of 16-20 wildcard resolutions (only the height is fixed). You can still use the extra space to produce normal modelines for the rest of emulators, adding them to ReslList.txt, just don't use 320x but 321x.
Steps to create a log:

ahofle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2012, 01:03:37 am »
OK I ran vmmaker, but I don't think it did anything.  After a reboot, I don't see any of the 1234x resolutions in arcadeOSD or windows.  I've attached my ini file (renamed to txt).  Let me know if you spot anything wrong in there.  Here is the output from vmmaker:

-------------------------------------------------------------
:: VideoModeMaker :: - version 1.3b - by Calamity - 2008/2011
monitor_specs line ignored
Catalyst 0 found!

53 different video modes found.

Generating dynamic mode table... 29 redundant video modes found.
Reducing mode list... 0 video modes dropped.
 24 modelines generated.

Finished. Press any key...

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2012, 03:46:18 am »
Oh sorry, I forgot to mention you have to enable 'UpdateRegistry' option too.
Steps to create a log:

ahofle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2012, 01:17:43 pm »
Ah OK thanks.
One more question...when I do this, will the 640x480 and 800x600 resolutions be changed to interlaced or will it only add the new resolutions?  I'm just trying to figure out how to test this out because I currently have an LCD monitor hooked up to the PC, but the goal is to only have a CGA monitor.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2012, 01:39:55 pm »
At least 800x600 will remain unmodified for sure, so you can safely use your LCD during and after the process.
Steps to create a log:

ahofle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2012, 11:36:38 pm »
Well the custom resolutions seem to have been applied -- windows show the 1234x resolutions now.  ArcadeOSD shows them in their native res though (no 1234x resolutions).  Is that normal?
When I run groovymame, the game 'syncs' on my LCD but is shifted and squished all the way to the left.  On the CGA monitor, it doesn't seem to be syncing correctly.  Attached output from -v -md 4 as well as my mame.ini (mame.txt).  Does everything look ok from the log?  It seems to be picking the 1234 res, but something's wrong.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2012, 06:24:53 am »
Thanks a lot for testing this.

There's something definitely wrong in the logs. If you have a look, the 1234x resolutions are duplicated like this:

[50]SwitchRes: 1232 x 256 @ 60p-> 65.62 System Modeline
[64]SwitchRes: 1234 x 256 @ 60p-> 65.48 System Modeline

However, the modeline definition is this one:

SwitchRes: DALDTMCRTBCD1234X256X0X57:
 SwitchRes: (57987/68) Modeline 25.120000 1232 1280 1400 1600 256 257 260 276

So the system is overriding our defined refresh and is picking the 1232 value (8-multiple) inside the modeline's definition to create a new video mode.

As the refresh doesn't match with the custom registry definition, Arcade_OSD and GroovyMAME are marking these video modes as "native" or "system" ones.

Did you get this log after booting your system with the LCD attached? This could be the reason of this issue, as the driver will override our modeline definitions if an LCD's EDID is found, that's why it's forcing our custom frequencies to the ones supported by the LCD (60).

So the test should be done by setting the desktop to 640x480i (15 KHz), then booting your system with only the CRT attached and testing from there. The quickest test to check if at least the dynamic modeline thing works is to test a custom video mode from Arcade_OSD, i.e. 320x224@60, and try to center it, if you can see the changes in real time once applied then there are chances that the rest of it will work.

Steps to create a log:

ahofle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2012, 10:47:59 am »
I did reboot with the LCD attached, so I'll try setting desktop to 640x480 and then reboot/unplug the LCD.  There should only be one 640x480 and it should be interlaced, right?  I'll also try switching to one of the resolutions directly using ArcadeOSD (no idea why I didn't think of that!).  Stay tuned...

ahofle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2012, 09:21:53 pm »
Still no luck.  Booting into 640x480, the monitor won't sync (maybe it's trying progressive?).  I also wasn't able to get an image on the CGA monitor using ArcadeOSD. Finally, attached the crash report from gmame.  It seems to behave differently depending on my deskop res.  It also seems to mess up the video driver as it thinks it's in some kind of safe mode now.  Weird.  I'm guessing this is a losing proposition.

caskad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 02, 2012, 02:48:22 am
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2012, 07:04:20 am »
Hello,

i've just test with catalyst last driver, it works fine under Xp 32 bits !

; VideoModeMaker - Options
; ------------------------

; 1. MAME
; -------

; Path for Mame executable, in case we want to extract xml information from it.

MameExe = "\Emuladores\Mame\mame.exe"

; Path for Mame ini folder, in case we want to create an ini file for each game.
; Important: existing ini files will be overwritten.

IniPath = "\Emuladores\Mame\ini\"

; Mame options.

ListFromXML = 0      ; Processes Mame XML and get video mode list from it
   GenerateXML = 0      ; Extracts XML from Mame (only needed once)
   GenerateInis = 0   ; Creates an ini file for each Mame game, in the IniPath folder
   SDLMame = 0      ; Use SDLMame specific options

; Monitor orientation

MonitorHorizontal = 0   ; 0 = Rotating monitor: horizontal and vertical games at their native resolution
            ;     Suitable for users that physically rotate their CRTs
            ; 1 = Horizontal monitor: horizontal games run at their native resolution and
            ;     vertical games are rotated to fit in horizontal monitor   

RotatingDesktop = 0   ; Specifies if both desktop and monitor are rotated

; Aspect ratio for vertical games on horizontal monitor
;    4:3 (keeps original aspect ratio)
;    3:3 (stretches to square format)
;    3:4 (stretches to full screen)
;   h:v (custom aspect ratio)

VerticalAspect = "4:3"

; 2. MONITOR
; ----------

; Monitor Type. Valid types: D9800, D9400, D9200, EGA, VGA, MULTI, H9110, PAL, NTSC, GENERIC, CUSTOM

MonitorType = "H9110"

; Monitor CUSTOM. These values will be used if MonitorType = "CUSTOM"
;
; monitor_specs_0-6 = "HfreqMin-HfreqMax, VfreqMin,VfreqMax, HFrontPorch, HSyncPulse, HBackPorch, VfrontPorch, VSyncPulse, VBackPorch, HSyncPol, VSyncPol, ActiveLinesLimit, VirtualLinesLimit"
;
;    * HfreqMin-HfreqMax: Minimum and maximum horizontal frequency, in Hz. Defines the range of horizontal frequencies the monitor is capable to sync.
;       The higher the horizontal frequency, the higher the vertical resolution available for the same vertical refresh.
;       The higher the horizontal frequency, the higher the vertical refresh available for the same vertical resolution.
;       The higher the horizontal frequency, the lower the horizontal amplitude of active video (narrower picture).
;
;   * VFreqMin-VfreqMax: Minimum and maximum vertical frequency, in Hz, Defines the range of vertical frequencies the monitor is capable to sync.
;
;   * HFrontPorch, HSyncPulse, HBackPorch: Horizontal timing and geometry, values in µs
;
;   * VfrontPorch, VSyncPulse, VBackPorch: Vertical timing and geometry, values in ms
;
;   * HSyncPol,VSyncPol: polarities, not in use! defaults to negative.
;
;   * ActiveLinesLimit: Vertical resolutions until ActiveLinesLimit value included, are generated as progressive, regardless the possibility
;                           of obtaining the required vertical refresh value.
;
;   * VirtualLinesLimit: Vertical resolutions above ActiveLinesLimit and below VirtualLinesLimit are virtualized, that is, an interlaced resolution
;                            bigger that the native one is generated, with the right refresh, and "hardware stretch" is applied.
;                            Vertical resolutions above VirtulaLinesLimit are generated as interlaced, without any stretching.

monitor_specs_0 = "15625-16200, 49.50-65.00, 2.000, 4.700, 8.000, 0.064, 0.160, 1.056, 0, 0, 288, 448"

;   monitor_specs_0 = "29100-70000, 50-160, 1.000, 1.000, 3.000, 0.014, 0.044, 0.524, 0, 0, 1024, 800"

; Tolerance for horizontal frequency, in kHz, enables extending the range defined by [ HfreqMin, HfreqMax ]
; The resulting allowed frequency range will be [ HfreqMin - HfreqTolerance, HfreqMax + HfreqTolerance ]

HfreqTolerance = 0.010

; 3. MODELINE GENERATOR
; ---------------------

; Total number of modelines to generate. Here are the recommended values for each driver version:
; CRT_Emudriver, based on Catalyst 6.5:   160 modes (accepts up to 200, but above 160 HyperSpin will refuse to load)
; CRT_Emudriver, based on Catalyst 9.3:   120 modes (accepts some more but above 120 you can get some blue screens)
; Regular Catalyst                    :    60 modes (won't accept any more)

TotalModes = 120

; If enabled, only creates modes with 32 bits per pixel color depth

Only32BPPModes = 0

; Method for mode table generation. If Mame xml is processed, that will create a lot of different video modes, so the mode table
; will be optimized keeping the most relevant ones, and dropping the rest, to keep below the TotalModes value.

ModeTableMethod = 1   ; 0 = Static table: modelines are generated keeping their original vertical refresh. This
            ;     method is intended to be used in combination with ini files for each game.
            ; 1 = Dynamic table: a table of dummy modes is created using xres and yres values while ignoring
            ;     vfreq. This method is intended to be used in combination with Switchres or Groovymame. No ini
            ;     files are required using this method (you should disable the GenerateInis option).

; Minimum resolution values (these will be used instead of lower values)

XresMin = 184
   YresMin = 192

;   XresMin = 512
;   YresMin = 400

; Minimum dotclock value allowed by the video card, in MHz (i.e. DotClockMin = 7.010)

DotClockMin = 0

; Number of iterations used by the mode generator [0,5]. The higher the number of iterations, the bigger the accuracy of the vertical
; refreshed obtained, normally at the cost of increasing the horizontal frequency strictly required.

Iterations = 0

; Specifies if the refresh label is multiplied by 10 before rounding (experimental).

VFreqLabelx10 = 0

; 4. DRIVER
; ---------

; Path for the driver folder

DriverPath = ".\Driver\"

; If UpdateRegistry is enabled, UpdateDriver will only work if the driver version found in DriverPath matches the one installed
; in the system.

UpdateRegistry = 1   ; Specifies if the video card registry section will be updated with the new video modes
            ; (will only work in combination with CRT_EMUDriver).

UpdateDriver = 0   ; Specifies if the driver files in DriverPath will be updated with the new video modes, for
            ; future installations.

AnyCatalyst = 1    ; Allows modelines to be installed for any Catalyst version. This option is experimental and
            ; known to produce some problems.

test mario with 1234*240 works fine but grey line on arcad_osd ... with any resolution, so, test failed? (looks Ok !)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 07:06:15 am by caskad »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2012, 07:48:05 am »
Still no luck.  Booting into 640x480, the monitor won't sync (maybe it's trying progressive?).  I also wasn't able to get an image on the CGA monitor using ArcadeOSD. Finally, attached the crash report from gmame.  It seems to behave differently depending on my deskop res.  It also seems to mess up the video driver as it thinks it's in some kind of safe mode now.  Weird.  I'm guessing this is a losing proposition.

Yes, it seems that's the issue with ATI generations from HD 5000, they will go into a safe mode if they don't recognize an EDID attached.
The modelines reported by the system are still wrong, I guess that's because of the safe mode too.
So how did you manage to test with Arcade_OSD if you couldn't get the monitor to sync? Did you plug the LCD in the middle?
The crash in GM happens because d3d can't use a resolution that's "hidden" by the system. Using -video ddraw instead *should* prevent that crash (although it's not a fix for this anyway).

Our last hope is that by using this registry hack we could prevent the drivers to perform screen detection and thus to enter in safe mode:

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=116790.0
Steps to create a log:

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2012, 07:52:23 am »
test mario with 1234*240 works fine but grey line on arcad_osd ... with any resolution, so, test failed? (looks Ok !)

What card are you using for your test? Monitor?
Please get me a log of mario so I can see how your system is set up.
Steps to create a log:

caskad

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2012, 01:50:43 am »
Ho well, sorry for spec:

Athlon 5000+
Winxp 32 bits
hd4870

I will make you the log. But seems to be fine (unless widescreen problem with 1234Xxxxx resolution and calibrate my gun suck;))

and i 've made a test previsously who's failed with the same Ati driver (11.2 i guess)
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 01:56:06 am by caskad »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2012, 07:26:12 am »
Hi caskad,

Those are good news indeed. So the problem is not specific to the Catalyst version, but the ATI videocard family.

I've just ordered a HD 6450 card for testing purposes.

Thanks a lot for your tests (both of you).
Steps to create a log:

caskad

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2012, 04:18:29 am »
Just forget about one thing:

Ddraw working with magic resolution in this case !

ahofle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2012, 12:08:02 pm »
Just another update...the registry setting was ignored and windows still went into safe mode with the arcade monitor plugged in.  I was never able to get any 15khz resolutions to work with the 6000 series card.

I disabled the 6410, plugged in a 4650 card and got the crt emu driver installed and am able to get 15khz resolutions now.  However, I think there is some lingering junk from the previous install because 320x240 and 400x300 and many more are the fake non-15khz VGA resolutions.  I also only have 4 1234x resolutions.  What is the best way to start from scratch with the crt emu driver?  I didn't even have an ATI driver to remove in add/remove programs (maybe because it's part of the APU?).  

caskad

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2012, 02:30:29 pm »
I will setup my config on xp 64 bits too, but with just crt emu, works fine at the moment :)

Rumor are talking about a boost Fps speed in x64 !

Hope this true ! :cheers:

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2012, 01:06:03 pm »
I disabled the 6410, plugged in a 4650 card and got the crt emu driver installed and am able to get 15khz resolutions now.  However, I think there is some lingering junk from the previous install because 320x240 and 400x300 and many more are the fake non-15khz VGA resolutions.  I also only have 4 1234x resolutions.  What is the best way to start from scratch with the crt emu driver?  I didn't even have an ATI driver to remove in add/remove programs (maybe because it's part of the APU?).  

Sometimes it's hard to tell which driver version is actually active, and even if our custom driver is being used at all. Sometimes Windows silently picks another version of the driver that it has around thinking it's newer or whatever. I wish this was better designed but that's how it is, from my experience.

There are two clues to conclude CRT_Emudriver is active, without doubts:

- The driver accepts more than 60 custom video modes.
- 320x and 400x *custom* resolutions are not doublescanned.

However, the fact that you're seeing some 320x and 400x 31 KHz resolutions is completely normal, as they are part of the native set of resolutions the driver uses. On the other hand, you may have only 4 'magic' resolutions because of the type of monitor you have defined when running VMMaker.

Finally, the cleanest way to start from scratch is uninstall any ATI driver, first from the control panel, and after that runnig CatUninstaller starting in safe mode. Sometimes it's necessary to go to device manager to manually uninstall default ATI drivers shipped with Microsoft products.
Steps to create a log:

ahofle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2012, 01:29:58 am »
I'm guessing there is a problem because groovymame is picking the 31khz 320x240.  In fact I don't recall even seeing a 1234x240 or a 15khz 320x240.  I'll try the catuninstaller and report back.

ahofle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2012, 11:52:07 pm »
I uninstalled everything and ran catuninstall in safe mode and then reinstalled the crt_emu driver.  After rebooting and running vmmaker, it's still only creating 24 modelines.  Is that normal?  I've also attached screenshots of the arcadeOSD modes -- still only 4 1234x resolutions and groovymame is picking the doublescanned 320x240 for those games, not the 1234x240.

:: VideoModeMaker :: - version 1.3b - by Calamity - 2008/2011
monitor_specs line ignored
CRT_EmuDriver 1.2 found! Based on Catalyst 09.3

53 different video modes found.

Generating dynamic mode table... 29 redundant video modes found.
Reducing mode list... 0 video modes dropped.
 24 modelines generated.

Catalyst version 09.3 found in .\Driver\
Updating driver...
        1 file(s) copied.

Storing modelines in system registry...
System must be restarted for the changes to take effect.

Finished. Press any key...

« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 12:02:58 am by ahofle »

caskad

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2012, 01:22:12 am »
Hello,

You have installed 9.3 with Hd6000 ??

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2012, 05:13:57 am »
I uninstalled everything and ran catuninstall in safe mode and then reinstalled the crt_emu driver.  After rebooting and running vmmaker, it's still only creating 24 modelines.  Is that normal?

Yes, it's normal, keep in mind that the magic resolution method only needs a bunch of modelines. It seems you're using the "GENERIC" monitor, which is fine.

I've also attached screenshots of the arcadeOSD modes -- still only 4 1234x resolutions and groovymame is picking the doublescanned 320x240 for those games, not the 1234x240.

That's because you're still booting with the LCD attached, and Windows is hiding every mode which considers not suitable for it. Check Arcade_OSD when booting with the arcade monitor only.

As for the GroovyMAME issue, please get me a log to see why it's not picking the 1234x mode, something must be wrong there.

Steps to create a log:

ahofle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2012, 12:13:49 pm »
I'm actually using 'CGA' for monitor type.
Well a bit of an update.  I booted into safe mode and uninstalled the drivers there -- rebooted again and installed the CRT_EMU driver (note I haven't run vmmaker yet).  Now I see a ton of 15khz resolutions.  I'm a little hesitant to run vmmaker because I now have a bunch of 15khz resolutions, but gmame is still picking 320x240 double scanned for vertical 320x240 games.  Not sure why.  I will probably try running vmmaker tonight to see what happens.  I don't have any 1234x resolutions currently.

Hello,

If you mean the 9.3 version of CRT_EMU driver, yes I tried and it said the hardware wasn't supported.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 12:15:24 pm by ahofle »

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2012, 12:33:31 pm »
BEFORE running vmmaker, please check if Arcade_OSD shows more than 60 custom video modes available. Do this when booting with the arcade monitor only.

There's something weird going on: you shouldn't have any doublescanned 320x240 mode with the modified drivers. I'm suspecting something else is active.
Steps to create a log:

ahofle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2012, 02:18:31 pm »
Will do.  The weird thing is arcadeOSD shows only the 15khz 320x240, no 'native' 320x240 60p shows there.

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2012, 02:20:51 pm »
Will do.  The weird thing is arcadeOSD shows only the 15khz 320x240, no 'native' 320x240 60p shows there.

Well that's normal because there is a 320x240 custom modeline that should override the native mode. Try enabling this mode though A_OSD to see it the doublescan thing is triggered.
Steps to create a log:

caskad

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2012, 02:46:47 pm »
Well a bit of an update.  I booted into safe mode and uninstalled the drivers there -- rebooted again and installed the CRT_EMU driver (note I haven't run vmmaker yet).  Now I see a ton of 15khz resolutions.  I'm a little hesitant to run vmmaker because I now have a bunch of 15khz resolutions, but gmame is still picking 320x240 double scanned for vertical 320x240 games.  Not sure why.  I will probably try running vmmaker tonight to see what happens.  I don't have any 1234x resolutions currently.

Hello,

If you mean the 9.3 version of CRT_EMU driver, yes I tried and it said the hardware wasn't supported.

So basic modeline work on hd 6XXX without magic resolution? even if 320x240 vertical are interlace on your monitor.. it works with upgrade anydrivers?

Well just antoher question for calamity, i guess magic resolution on arcade Monitor (hantarex) provide wide range of modeline, but , i don't have 1234X224?

I add tthem in reslist and modeline and now this work flawlessly but.. it's a bug?

ahofle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2012, 02:49:36 pm »
Well a bit of an update.  I booted into safe mode and uninstalled the drivers there -- rebooted again and installed the CRT_EMU driver (note I haven't run vmmaker yet).  Now I see a ton of 15khz resolutions.  I'm a little hesitant to run vmmaker because I now have a bunch of 15khz resolutions, but gmame is still picking 320x240 double scanned for vertical 320x240 games.  Not sure why.  I will probably try running vmmaker tonight to see what happens.  I don't have any 1234x resolutions currently.

Hello,

So basic modeline work on hd 6XXX without magic resolution? even if 320x240 vertical are interlace on your monitor.. it works with upgrade anydrivers?

I never got any custom 15khz modeline to work with the 6000 series card, trying both CRT_EUM driver and the magic resolution method.

ahofle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2012, 11:59:28 pm »
OK some more (bizarre) information.
It looks like the 15khz 320x240 is perfectly fine before running vmmaker.  I was able to select it in ArcadeOSD and in gmame and it displays fine on the CGA arcade monitor.  I also see over 80 resolutions in ArcadeOSD.
Once I ran vmmaker and rebooted, the 15khz 320x240 was replaced with the doublescanned one and I went from over 80 resolutions to just a small handfull, including the 4 1234x ones.  Not sure how that could be messing it up. 
Another weird thing, I was able to select 640x480i desktop mode in ArcadeOSD and display perfectly on the CGA monitor, but when I reboot with the CGA plugged in (and the DALRULE_DONOTPERFORMDISPLAYDETECTION registry setting that ignores monitor detection set), it freaks out and goes to safe mode with only 640x480p and 800x600p.  When I reboot again with the LCD plugged in, it stays in safe mode and arcadeOSD shows the same 640x480 and 800x600 resolutions.  WTF?!?!  I am totally confused. 

iori01

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2023, 08:00:11 pm
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2012, 05:34:11 am »
Just an idea,

What happen if we try to use EDID dongle with ATI to avoid safe mode ?

ahofle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2012, 10:56:53 pm »
I wish I knew what file was causing this ridiculous behavior.  What idiot at ATI thought it would be a good idea to uninstall the video driver if the monitor wasn't recognized?  At this point I think I may have to reinstall windows to get rid of whatever catalyst 11 file is doing this.  Calamity, is there anything in the 9.3 CRT EMU driver that might cause this?  Or do I have some remnant of catalyst 11 causing it?

Calamity

• Offline Offline
  • Quote me with care
« Reply #38 on: January 19, 2012, 05:50:47 am »
I was typing this answer yesterday from my time zone, just left the office for a while and when I came back the site was on strike! :)

OK some more (bizarre) information.
It looks like the 15khz 320x240 is perfectly fine before running vmmaker.  I was able to select it in ArcadeOSD and in gmame and it displays fine on the CGA arcade monitor.  I also see over 80 resolutions in ArcadeOSD.
Once I ran vmmaker and rebooted, the 15khz 320x240 was replaced with the doublescanned one and I went from over 80 resolutions to just a small handfull, including the 4 1234x ones.  Not sure how that could be messing it up.

The number of resolutions we're interested in is not the total number but the one shown inside (), which acounts for the number of *custom* video modes. I assume you checked this when booting with the arcade monitor attached, otherwise that figure would be misleading. The driver installs around 120 custom modes, so if you saw 80 total modes then it's highly possible that only 60 custom modes are being accepted.

It's normal that once you run that vmmaker the number of resolutions drops, because the spefic package you're using is configured for 'magic' resolutions. Edit its vmmaker.ini to process MAME.xml and you'll get a hundred of them, but that's not the relevant fact here.

It sounds like the active miniport driver (ati2mtag.sys) is not the hacked one.

Another weird thing, I was able to select 640x480i desktop mode in ArcadeOSD and display perfectly on the CGA monitor, but when I reboot with the CGA plugged in (and the DALRULE_DONOTPERFORMDISPLAYDETECTION registry setting that ignores monitor detection set), it freaks out and goes to safe mode with only 640x480p and 800x600p.  When I reboot again with the LCD plugged in, it stays in safe mode and arcadeOSD shows the same 640x480 and 800x600 resolutions.  WTF?!?!  I am totally confused.  

Well that's really weird, that happens when the driver fails to load and Windows picks a default one.

I wish I knew what file was causing this ridiculous behavior.  What idiot at ATI thought it would be a good idea to uninstall the video driver if the monitor wasn't recognized?  At this point I think I may have to reinstall windows to get rid of whatever catalyst 11 file is doing this.  Calamity, is there anything in the 9.3 CRT EMU driver that might cause this?  Or do I have some remnant of catalyst 11 causing it?

I believe it's not ATI's fault but some specs required from Microsoft lately, as nVidia cards seem to be doing something similar. That's why I'm hoping that at least they provided some sort of back door through undocumented registry settings. Otherwise the only way to revert that behaviour would be patching the driver and I highly doubt I have the skills for something like that.

It's highly possible that some files from Catalyst 11 are still cached by your OS. I know this SUCKS.

Something you can try is to repeat the process with CatUninstaller and after that, re-booting in safe mode, try to manually uninstall the default display driver from the device manager dialog. The idea is to eventually leave Windows in a state where it can't even recognize your video hardware, then it should happily accept our driver.

BTW I just received a new HD 6450 card, so finally I have something to test directly. I also have a Soft-15KHz dongle to test with, so I'll be able to check if it's a solution for this issue.

Well just antoher question for calamity, i guess magic resolution on arcade Monitor (hantarex) provide wide range of modeline, but , i don't have 1234X224?

I didn't include it because it was not strictly necessary, but it's just fine if you added it!
Steps to create a log:

ahofle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #39 on: January 20, 2012, 01:05:22 am »
Well I did the safe mode boot and uninstalled the driver and ran catuninstaller.  Rebooted and installed CRT EMU driver again and rebooted with the LCD attached.  Driver came up fine in ArcadeOSD and gmame works great (manually swap over to CRT to test).  I also confirmed that ati2mtag.sys in windows/system32/drivers is the same one that comes in your CRT EMU installer.  If I reboot with the CGA CRT attached and do not touch the DALRULE registry setting, windows just comes up without any signal on the monitor.  Even if I swap over to the LCD, there is still no signal.  Reboot again with the LCD and everything is back to normal.  I can do this several times without the driver going into safe mode.  It's only when I set that DALRULE_DONOTPERFORMDISPLAYDETECTION to 1 and reboot with the CGA CRT plugged in that the driver goes into safe mode. 

Before I reinstall windows, do you think the hardware could have anything to do with this and I might be wasting my time? 
Thanks for all your help with this.  :)