Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Go see the Deadpool movie  (Read 4930 times)

harveybirdman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 12:40:25 pm
  • SHMUP'EM
Go see the Deadpool movie
« on: February 12, 2016, 10:07:51 am »
Yeah you can make the argument that they should have left his origin ambiguous and not thrown away the Ajax and Vanessa of the comics.  and sure Colossus looks kinda dumb.  But it was a 2 hour laugh riot of the best cast Marvel character since Tony Stark.

So many perfect details from the Leifeld Easter Egg in the opening credits to the movie making fun of itself in surreal moments of self deprecating genius.

See, I can like a movie, go see it.  I bet you won't be disappointed.

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
Re: Go see the Deadpool movie
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 10:10:06 am »

I'll go see it but honestly I cannot stand Ryan Reynolds.  I don't find him funny even a little bit in anything I've ever seen him do.  I hate smarm.  My expectations of Deadpool are pretty low as a result.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 15, 2024, 08:42:41 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2016, 10:15:42 am »

I'll go see it but honestly I cannot stand Ryan Reynolds.  I don't find him funny even a little bit in anything I've ever seen him do.  I hate smarm.  My expectations of Deadpool are pretty low as a result.

You are the oddball on this one.  Ryan Reynolds is hilarious and I've never heard of someone who didn't think so.  I've been following him since two guys and a girl and have been disappointed that his movie career never took off.  I was beginning to think he'd go the way of Bruce Campbell. 

Btw judging by the trailers at least Colossus doesn't look dumb, he looks like classic comic book Colossus.  He looked dumb (aka puny, wimpy, and not Russian) in the X-men films. 

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2016, 10:19:21 am »
I'm just against the rubber suit, I'm a big proponent of CGI when it comes to the Hulk, Thing, etc....

Sure the look is much closer to the comic and that's good.

But you barely notice with all the freaking awesome going on. 

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:49:06 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2016, 10:23:24 am »
2 guys, a girl, and a pizza place!  Thought I was the only one that remembered it. My wife has a lady boner for Ryan Reynolds, so we're going to go see it on Sunday morning. This movie just makes me wish they made a rated R Wolverine movie.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2016, 10:37:33 am »
Ryan Reynolds is hilarious and I've never heard of someone who didn't think so.

Now you have.

And it's sort of odd to say that you've never heard of someone who didn't think this guy is hilarious while at the same time saying you had been disappointed at his level of success until now.  Wouldn't that indicate that there are others who didn't find him all that funny?  People who are that hiliarious tend to get cast in movies that become successful.

pbj

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 08:46:53 am
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2016, 11:18:55 am »
...no...more...comic...book...movies....

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2022, 07:22:35 am
  • Correct horse battery staple
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2016, 11:25:06 am »
You had me at "Leifeld Easter Egg".

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2016, 11:41:06 am »
You had me at "Leifeld Easter Egg".

You know you're a real fan when you're the only one in the theater that gets it and laughs.  ;D

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 08, 2023, 02:40:58 pm
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2016, 12:07:11 pm »
Going tomorrow to watch it in IMAX. Can't wait!

I was hoping for a Leifeld joke!

Ginsu Victim

• Yeah, owning a MAME cab only leads to owning real ones. MAME just isn't good enough. It's a gateway drug.
  • Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2016, 12:35:28 pm »
...no...more...comic...book...movies....

This mocks them.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2016, 02:01:38 pm »

Besides, without comic book movies, would we ever get another new pinball machine?

CCM

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2020, 10:08:27 am
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2016, 02:03:29 pm »

Now you have.

And it's sort of odd to say that you've never heard of someone who didn't think this guy is hilarious while at the same time saying you had been disappointed at his level of success until now.  Wouldn't that indicate that there are others who didn't find him all that funny?  People who are that hiliarious tend to get cast in movies that become successful.

Maybe Howard doesn't know that many people... I don't find Ryan Reynolds all that funny either.

NSFW:

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2016, 04:56:43 pm »

Now you have.

Not really.  Van Wilder was his only hit... because it's a comedy.  Since then they've almost exclusively cast him in action films, really bad action films.  Regardless I've still enjoyed his performances... even in Green Lantern.  That's why I compared him to Bruce Campbell.... totally awesome actor, that's yet to be cast in a blockbuster.

bdn103

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 05, 2023, 09:29:59 pm
    • Classic Arcade Cabinets - FREE arcade cabinet build plans, printable PDFs and CNC plans
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2016, 05:15:56 pm »
Totally awesome movie. Greatly enjoyed it.

Slippyblade

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 05, 2024, 10:30:57 am
  • And to the death god we say, "Not today!"
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2016, 05:42:15 pm »
I thought his performance in "Voices" was brilliant.

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2016, 10:10:18 pm »

Besides, without comic book movies, would we ever get another new pinball machine?

Who cares? 

One place in Houston gets them, and it's owned by a celebrity chef, and they are for ambiance only.

emphatic

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:49:47 pm
  • -"Suck it, Donny!" -"No, YOU suck it.... more".
    • Emphatic's Video Game Collection
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2016, 12:24:07 pm »
Going tonight.  :cheers:

emphatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2016, 06:28:46 pm »
I've never read Deadpool, but I've gotta say, the movie was amazing anyway.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 13, 2024, 01:06:22 pm
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2016, 10:07:20 pm »
I had never heard of deadpool before the internet buzz about the move.
I loved it.  Nothing was "omg I'm gonna pass out" funny, but it was solidly funny the entire way through.

Stay past the credits.  ;)
chka chka

« Last Edit: February 13, 2016, 10:09:38 pm by BadMouth »

Ginsu Victim

• Offline Offline
  • Comanche, OK -- USA
« Reply #20 on: February 13, 2016, 10:31:27 pm »
Nothing was "omg I'm gonna pass out" funny
Deadpool vs Colossus got the biggest laugh of anything.

I ---smurfing--- loved it. Zero complaints.

I, unfortunately, had to leave that moment the credits started, so I'll have to search YouTube for the after-credits scene .

dkersten

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 12, 2024, 11:47:30 am
  • If you are gonna do it, do it right..
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2016, 02:43:35 am »
Not really.  Van Wilder was his only hit... because it's a comedy.  Since then they've almost exclusively cast him in action films, really bad action films.  Regardless I've still enjoyed his performances... even in Green Lantern.  That's why I compared him to Bruce Campbell.... totally awesome actor, that's yet to be cast in a blockbuster.
Not sure how you define a blockbuster.  He's starred in movies that cost a lot to make, movies that made a lot overall and the first weekend, and starred opposite plenty of top A-list actors.  For example, The Proposal, which grossed nearly 170 million dollars and was nominated for a Golden Globe.  Made 33 million the first weekend.  If movies like that never gave him the title of an A-List actor, I'm not sure what could.

I saw Dead Pool today and thought it was pretty darn good.  I loved how much it mocked comic book movies and all the Marvel throwbacks.  Great flick.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2016, 03:40:48 am »
I define a blockbuster the same way everyone else on the planet does.... when the film is so popular they are lined up around the block.. thus the term.

The Avengers is a blockbuster, the Proposal is a film that did relatively well.  Making millions isn't all that impressive these days... we are in the era of mega movies.

He's starred in a lot of big budget bombs and/or critical failures.  RIPD, Green Lantern, Wolverine. 

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2016, 12:37:44 pm »
I define a blockbuster the same way everyone else on the planet does.... when the film is so popular they are lined up around the block.. thus the term.

The Avengers is a blockbuster, the Proposal is a film that did relatively well.  Making millions isn't all that impressive these days... we are in the era of mega movies.

He's starred in a lot of big budget bombs and/or critical failures.  RIPD, Green Lantern, Wolverine.
Everyone on the planet?  Interesting.  Vocabulary.com defines blockbuster as "A blockbuster is a Hollywood movie that's made with a large budget and big stars."  Dictionary.com is "a motion picture, novel, etc., especially one lavishly produced, that has or is expected to have wide popular appeal or financial success. "  The common thread for the term is high budget and high expectations.  Waterworld was a blockbuster, for example, one that tanked.  Green Lantern would be another high budget movie with high expectations.  These days the term is slapped on any big budget summer movie that is expected to do really well.  But it originated as a name for a big bomb (one that could blow up a block, hence blockbuster) and in the 50's became theater slang for a play that lines people up around the block.  I don't think it actually started applying to movies until the 80's.  And "blockbuster" movies only cover 1-2 movies each year, which accounts for a tiny fraction of total Hollywood revenues and represents a small handful of A-list actors. Blockbuster movies are a huge risk to studios, so while they might be the most memorable when they do well, they are far from the norm, and definitely not the thing that drives Hollywood. 

RR has starred in some big budget movies, and yes, most flopped.  But in the rom-com genre, The Proposal is the best selling movie of all time.  He was one of the most wanted actors in Hollywood after that, but then he did Green Lantern and it propelled him back to the mid-list.  In other words, this isn't his first time at the top.  So when a bunch of people post about how his greatest film ever is Van Wilder and how he has never been in a top end movie, I wonder what rock these people have been hiding under.

Then I realized it:  You guys aren't big movie goers (or maybe the right term is movie-lovers).  You see movies that make the news, that you hear about from friends, or that are very specific to your interests.  So of course since he hasn't been in those 1 or 2 movies each year that really blow up and are all the buzz (of the hundreds that are made each year and are profitable), it would make sense that RR is seen as some nobody.

I go to ~40 movies per year at the theater.  I watch another 200+ movies at home throughout a year.  I see just about everything that piques my interest, which covers just about everything outside of Horror films, and in the last decade, several have starred Ryan Reynolds... several moderate to large budget movies, in fact.  If I am seeing this guy over and over in mainstream movies, often in leading roles, then in my mind he is a top actor.  But yeah, to a non-movie goer who only acknowledges that a couple good movies are made each year, I can understand the point of view.  It is all a matter of perspective.

Personally, I think he is a decent actor, not great.  He can do drama just fine, and of course comedy is his strongest point.  He was well suited for Deadpool. 

emphatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #24 on: February 18, 2016, 03:19:31 pm »
Going again tomorrow night.  :cheers:

Token

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 20, 2021, 03:45:43 pm
« Reply #25 on: February 18, 2016, 04:21:39 pm »
Serious question--

Is this worth seeing if I've never read a Deadpool comic and know literally nothing about the character other than he looks like a naughty version of Spider-Man?

harveybirdman

• Offline Offline
  • SHMUP'EM
« Reply #26 on: February 18, 2016, 04:24:20 pm »
You don't need to have read anything.  There are a few nods to the character's creator and some of his more famous comic antics that you might miss but it's hysterical of it's own right, for the very reason that you described.

And it's full of F bombs and cock and ball jokes, so no kiddos.

Slippyblade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #27 on: February 18, 2016, 04:27:03 pm »
I considered it a good sign that the opening credits hadn't even finished yet and I was already laughing ---my bottom--- off.

emphatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2016, 08:08:52 am »
Serious question--

Is this worth seeing if I've never read a Deadpool comic and know literally nothing about the character other than he looks like a naughty version of Spider-Man?

Watch a red-band trailer. If you enjoy that, you're probably gonna enjoy the rest too.

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 13, 2024, 01:06:22 pm
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2016, 09:28:27 am »
Serious question--

I had never heard of deadpool before the internet buzz when they were making the movie.
Never read a comic.

I loved it.  I might go see it again.

emphatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2016, 05:39:18 pm »
Just got back from second viewing. At first, I thought it felt a bit weaker because I knew what to expect, but about 15 minutes in I realized I loved it about as much as the first time.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Offline Offline
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2016, 05:56:44 pm »
Serious question--

I had never heard of deadpool before the internet buzz when they were making the movie.
Never read a comic.

I loved it.  I might go see it again.

His comics, at least the ones after he became a comedic character, are surprisingly good, and this is from a guy that doesn't really like superhero comics all that much.  I particularly liked his adventures with the zombified, "marvel zombies" universe, decapitated head of himself.  It's quite possibly better than Marvel Zombies vs Army of Darkness.

shponglefan

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 15, 2022, 07:22:35 am
  • Correct horse battery staple
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2016, 06:12:41 pm »
I go to ~40 movies per year at the theater.

You must have the patience of a saint.  Last time I went to a theater, I wanted to murder everyone around me.

Slippyblade

• Offline Offline
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2016, 06:16:47 pm »
I particularly liked his adventures with the zombified, "marvel zombies" universe, decapitated head of himself.  It's quite possibly better than Marvel Zombies vs Army of Darkness.

Sounds like I've got some reading to do!  I loved the Marvel Zombies that I read where they ate Galactus.  Didn't realize there was more than that.

dkersten

• Offline Offline
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2016, 11:57:07 am »
I go to ~40 movies per year at the theater.

You must have the patience of a saint.  Last time I went to a theater, I wanted to murder everyone around me.
lol

Last night we went to see Ride Along 2 and some tween boys were sitting a few seats away and I guess they saw those Axe commercials and thought for sure girls would like them if they used the whole bottle.. By the time we left our eyes were burning, our noses were in agony and we could even taste it.  That's about as bad as it gets usually.

It is ironic though, I am dumping insane amounts of money into my home theater lately and when me and the girlfriend get the same night off work, what do we do?  Go to a movie at the theater... It's all good though because tonight I plan to pick up Fury on BluRay and that will make all the time, money, and effort totally worth it (or at least that's what I will tell myself, lol).

I didn't stick around for the end of the credits in Deadpool, was there anything at the very end?

emphatic

• Offline Offline
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2016, 12:49:06 pm »
I didn't stick around for the end of the credits in Deadpool, was there anything at the very end?

Yes.

It's a spoof of the Ferris Buellers' Day Off ending and some hints about the sequel. They're bringing Cable and there's some jokes about who they're casting for the part.

Grasshopper

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 08, 2023, 07:20:31 am
  • life, don't talk to me about life
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2016, 01:49:52 pm »
I went to see this on Friday, and to my surprise, it was awesome. Possibly the best superhero movie ever. Very very funny. You should definitely go and see it if (like me) you've got a really twisted and depraved sense of humour.

And yes, you absolutely must stick around until the end credits finish.
"Patriotism is the last refuge of the scoundrel." - Samuel Johnson

RetroArcadePro

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 13, 2018, 04:35:41 pm
  • Here for everything and anything arcades.
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2016, 03:23:28 pm »
Movie was OK. Definitely wouldn't call it great, excellent, fantastic or anything of that caliber

pbj

• Offline Offline
  • Obey.
    • The Chris Burke Band
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2016, 06:43:25 pm »
Saw it today.  Ten other people in big theater.  I'd give it a C.

Wish I had skipped the post credits scene, to be honest.

:dunno

Malenko

• KNEEL BEFORE ZODlenko!
  • Trade Count: (+58)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 03:49:06 pm
  • Have you played with my GingerBalls?
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,142404.msg1475162.html
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2016, 12:46:48 pm »
Wish I had skipped the post credits scene, to be honest.

It was a pretty good Ferris Beuller parody. It was shorter and more entertaining than the "lets wash an arcade monitor" video.
If you're replying to a troll you are part of the problem.
I also need to follow this advice. Ignore or report, don't reply.