Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: WOW New LightGUN Info !!! Woot!!! :)  (Read 407947 times)

Smog

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2007, 06:50:51 am
    • How to make a cheap GunCon2 work on your PC
Re: WOW New LightGUN Info !!! Woot!!! :)
« Reply #1720 on: December 22, 2006, 08:13:09 am »
Vista is in beta, and readily available to anyone to download, so why not? People are using it ^_^

The problem is not the OS availability .. but that of the development kits :) I won't use any DK for vista before the software house I work in buys it :D
GunCon2PC Driver on http://guncon2pc.no-ip.org/

mrserv0n

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 25, 2021, 09:20:06 pm
« Reply #1721 on: December 24, 2006, 03:42:36 pm »
My LCD TOPGUN works perfect in windows and in mame i  set my controls to x y mouse axis and also do the hardware calibration once again. However my mouse cursor (gun) will only stick to the sides of the screen it will not go in the middle and it is all jerky and crazy.. But smooth in windows desktop
« Last Edit: December 24, 2006, 04:03:01 pm by mrserv0n »

moihut

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 27, 2006, 06:43:17 pm
« Reply #1722 on: December 27, 2006, 06:15:20 pm »
Topgun with xbox games?   / A little Help?

I have been using the LCD Topgun with House of the dead 3 and it has been working AWESOME!  But when I try to play starsky and hutch I simply cannot get past the controller selection screen.  This is frustrating and I am wondering if this is a universal problem with the Topgun.  Has anyone else had problems?

The game detects that a lightgun is in port two, but when I try to go back to the main screen it keeps saying something like, "Make sure that the gun is plugged in and pointed at the screen."  It never allows me to calibrate the gun.  I was able to fool the game by starting the calibration routine with my old lightgun.  For some reason I can get into the calibration using the old gun on the plasma screen...but of course the calibration does not work.  Then I switch to the topgun, calibrate and play.  Is there a way around this?
« Last Edit: December 27, 2006, 06:43:17 pm by moihut »

nloding

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 04, 2007, 06:21:25 pm
« Reply #1723 on: January 01, 2007, 05:00:59 pm »
Heh, I'm totally cheating by asking this:

Does this work with MAME ROMs not listed on the website?  Like CarnEvil, for instance?

I think I'm gonna get one of these for my Xbox, but I'm wondering if I should invest in two for my new cabinet.

This thread is 44 pages long, and I'm making my way through all the posts slowly but surely, so eventually I find the answer.  Like I said, I'm totally cheating by asking this!

aljupy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 23, 2011, 07:30:06 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #1724 on: January 02, 2007, 06:49:19 am »
Topgun with xbox games?   / A little Help?
 when I try to play starsky and hutch I simply cannot get past the controller selection screen.  This is frustrating and I am wondering if this is a universal problem with the Topgun.  Has anyone else had problems?

The game detects that a lightgun is in port two, but when I try to go back to the main screen it keeps saying something like, "Make sure that the gun is plugged in and pointed at the screen." 

When you get this message, you must Unplug and RePlug your lightgun, after that,  Press the Start button of your LCD TOP GUN.
This "trick" will skip the controller screen and the Lightgun will be configured for port two. Now you can go to search somebody to drive the car with controller on port 1  ;)

Does this work with MAME ROMs not listed on the website?  Like CarnEvil, for instance?
I´m not sure if I understood the question...
Yes, Carnevil WORKS with LCD TOP GUN on Mame. A shame that my PC just runs that rom at 30 FPS or less  :banghead:

The roms listed on the "lightgun" section on mame32 are the ones that works with lightgun.

Also, You can play lightgun roms on Xbox with MAMEOX
« Last Edit: January 02, 2007, 06:52:35 am by aljupy »

LightspeedJack

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 23, 2007, 03:49:12 pm
« Reply #1725 on: January 06, 2007, 04:49:15 pm »
I have been having a devil of a time trying to find a power transformer that matches the spec's required for the LED stands.

I looked at Staples, Radioshack, Walmart, Target, BestBuy, basically everywhere.

People that were able to acquire AC -> DC 5V 600mA power transformers, where did you get them from?

Is there a good website online that has the right size?

Also I am nervous about ordering one online because I'm not sure how to make sure the adapter plug is the right size to fit into the LED stand plug.

Thanks in advance!

aljupy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1726 on: January 07, 2007, 02:49:10 pm »
People that were able to acquire AC -> DC 5V 600mA power transformers, where did you get them from?
I usualy buy it in normal Hypermarkets. It is strange if you can not find any in a electronic store.

I bought one in a Chinese local store just for 2 €uros (Around 2 dollars). I use it to feed my Blaze Stand. It powers from 1,5volt to 12 volts :)

Good luck!!

Scumgriever

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 30, 2013, 07:27:31 am
« Reply #1727 on: January 07, 2007, 05:08:25 pm »
Have there been any reports about the new drivers from EMS? (3.2) I am waiting for my guns to arrive and am hoping to make the installation as painless as possible. 

Here everyone seems to be saying to use smog's drivers but on silverfox's info it says that the 3.2 drivers work well and to try them first. I'm a little concerned that not many people have tried them though.

Should I just go for Smog's to start with? I'm using mame32 .108 on XP. I realise that this is a little preemptive but I don't like to install and uninstall a zillion drivers if I can avoid it.

ark_ader

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2019, 07:35:34 pm
  • I glow in the dark.
« Reply #1728 on: January 07, 2007, 06:54:40 pm »
Is there an issue with having two guns pivoted at a 45 degree angle, I have the bars set at the same angle of the monitor but the calibration gets thrown off. 

What is the maximum angle I can have the monitor (TFT) in the cab.  I tried it at a steeper angle and needed a step ladder to calibrate  ;D

Is there any issues with the bars located top and botton instead of side to side?

Thanks in advance
If I had only one wish, it would be for three more wishes.

LightspeedJack

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1729 on: January 07, 2007, 10:12:12 pm »
I usualy buy it in normal Hypermarkets. It is strange if you can not find any in a electronic store.

I bought one in a Chinese local store just for 2 €uros (Around 2 dollars). I use it to feed my Blaze Stand. It powers from 1,5volt to 12 volts :)

Good luck!!

I have found transformers that do a range that includes 5V (for example, 3V-12V transformers), but all the ones that I found had selectors for the voltage that did not include 5V (i.e. you could switch from 3V to 4.5V to 6V, but there was no way to choose 5V).

Would it damage a Blaze Stand to run it as 4.5V or 6V?

I guess 5V is not a typical American device need? I live in Pittsburgh, PA.

aljupy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1730 on: January 08, 2007, 05:29:25 am »
I have found transformers that do a range that includes 5V (for example, 3V-12V transformers), but all the ones that I found had selectors for the voltage that did not include 5V (i.e. you could switch from 3V to 4.5V to 6V, but there was no way to choose 5V).

in that case... good news for you. I feed my BLAZE STAND wich have bigger IRLEDS than the standard stand, With just 1,5 volt and it does not affect my gameplay at all.

With 1,5 Volt you can feed your stand without any risk to fry it :D
Also I powered it with 3 Volt and 4,5 Volts with the same results than 1,5 Volt.

Ah, I forgot to Ask you....Why don´t you feed it with a normal USB port??. You can do it.
Or else, If you sacrifice the Recoil, you can feed the stand with the same Lightgun

I feed the Stands of my PC with a PS2 port.... with a USB to PS2 adapter. It works too
« Last Edit: January 08, 2007, 05:35:10 am by aljupy »

aljupy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1731 on: January 08, 2007, 09:56:29 am »
Have there been any reports about the new drivers from EMS? (3.2) I am waiting for my guns to arrive and am hoping to make the installation as painless as possible. 

Here everyone seems to be saying to use smog's drivers but on silverfox's info it says that the 3.2 drivers work well and to try them first. I'm a little concerned that not many people have tried them though.

You MUST install smog´s GUNCON2PC driver the FIRST ONE.
If it doesn´t work for you in Windows XP. And is not any possibility that it works on your PC......then install another one like wingun www.guncon2driver.com or the EMS driver www.hkems.com

I tried the EMS driver and the Smog´s Guncon2PC, here is a tiny comparation:

1) Guncon2PC moves your cursor faster than EMS.

2) Guncon2PC supports MULTIPLE lightguns with tracking on MAME, EMS just supports one lightgun on Mame.

3) You configure your lightguns the first day, install the Guncon2PC driver and you will forget forget that you have a driver installed. Just connect your Lightgun on the same USB port everytime before play. That´s all.

Your choice, friend. And I just comment that 3 points, there are a lot of reasons to install Guncon2PC ;) GOOD LUCK!!!

Scumgriever

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 30, 2013, 07:27:31 am
« Reply #1732 on: January 08, 2007, 12:48:08 pm »
Excelent, thanks aljupy. Smog's handywork it is. I'm hoping the guns arrive any day now.
 :cheers:

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2024, 10:29:00 am
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
« Reply #1733 on: January 08, 2007, 07:36:59 pm »
Please note some of my info is out of date - the 3.2 drivers were not around at the time. I have not tested them myself.

Also mame handling of mice/lightguns has been completely re-written (for the better), but it means some the mame setup info is incorrect.

LightspeedJack

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1734 on: January 14, 2007, 11:50:56 pm »

in that case... good news for you. I feed my BLAZE STAND wich have bigger IRLEDS than the standard stand, With just 1,5 volt and it does not affect my gameplay at all.

With 1,5 Volt you can feed your stand without any risk to fry it :D
Also I powered it with 3 Volt and 4,5 Volts with the same results than 1,5 Volt.

Ah, I forgot to Ask you....Why don´t you feed it with a normal USB port??. You can do it.
Or else, If you sacrifice the Recoil, you can feed the stand with the same Lightgun

I feed the Stands of my PC with a PS2 port.... with a USB to PS2 adapter. It works too

I am unable to feed my LED stands from the USB port since my computer is about 15 feet away from where my projector screen is.

For anyone that is having the same problem I had, I found a website that sells the right power adapter. It arrived today, and seems to be working perfectly well.

The transformer is #VM 1898 at the following URL:
http://www.voltage-converter-transformers.com/switching-ac-dc-supply.html

It took 4 days from ordering to arrival at my door.

chazbeenhad

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 06, 2010, 02:37:28 pm
« Reply #1735 on: January 17, 2007, 02:44:21 pm »
I haven't read all 44 pages of this thread, only about half.

I have a question about this new gun vs using a guncon 2.

What would be the better solution for a mame cabinet using a PC SVGA CRT?
Making an interface (for svga) and using two guncon 2 guns or two of these new guns?

Thanks!

MacroX

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 09, 2007, 11:27:30 pm
« Reply #1736 on: January 23, 2007, 11:20:36 pm »
I'm sure this one!

Ayrk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 09, 2023, 03:09:42 pm
  • I'm 99% complete, will I ever finish that 1%?
« Reply #1737 on: January 24, 2007, 09:37:41 am »
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to mount the LCD sensor bars?

I have a 17" computer monitor and I'm not quite sure what the best way to keep the bars on it is. Right now I'm leaning towards self adhesive velcro but I figured someone else might have a better idea.

Other than that, this gun rocks hard. Up and running in about 15 minutes from opening the box.

Thanks.

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
« Reply #1738 on: February 13, 2007, 10:02:03 am »
What would be the better solution for a mame cabinet using a PC SVGA CRT?
Making an interface (for svga) and using two guncon 2 guns or two of these new guns?

I've had both of these working. When you get it working, accuracy is quite similar once the guncon2's are calibrated - so long as the screen is bright.

Building the interface for VGA/SVGA in theory is straightforward (esp. if you have access to a ArcadeVGA) though fiddly in practice.

The end of the day the Topguns - once setup - work everytime, on everything, in every game, with no-recalibration. Better to hack them into a preffered case IMHO.

fjl

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 04, 2017, 10:14:04 pm
  • Pixels Rule!
« Reply #1739 on: February 26, 2007, 08:00:47 pm »
Sorry, I haven't read all 44 pages so I'll just ask, is there other places in the united states I can buy these guns besides the Hong Kong site?

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2023, 02:00:48 am
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #1740 on: February 27, 2007, 04:26:55 pm »

Just received two Topguns, and was wondering myself (without having to go through 44 pages of reading). When you said the FIRST ONE, do you mean the first version or the first one listed? So do you mean version 0.8 or 0.9b6?

Why is the official driver from EMS so crap, not allowing you to play with two guns in Mame?

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
« Reply #1741 on: February 28, 2007, 06:58:15 pm »

Just received two Topguns, and was wondering myself (without having to go through 44 pages of reading). When you said the FIRST ONE, do you mean the first version or the first one listed? So do you mean version 0.8 or 0.9b6?

Why is the official driver from EMS so crap, not allowing you to play with two guns in Mame?

By first one, I believe he means it was the first driver. You should the latest version of it (0.9 or whatever).

Most of the comments about the EMS driver are about a much earlier version, which was - bluntly - useless.

However, I have heard good things about version 3.2 - although I have no idea if it allows 2 players in mame. To be fair this is probably more about how mame deals with stuff rather than EMS' driver. Or rather, more about how windows deals with mice and how mame uses mice as lightguns.

mine are all packed away at the mo, but if I was setting up now I would test out the latest ems and see how it plays in mame. If it did not work 2 player, I'd go with smog's driver.

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2023, 02:00:48 am
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #1742 on: February 28, 2007, 07:26:38 pm »
However, I have heard good things about version 3.2 - although I have no idea if it allows 2 players in mame. To be fair this is probably more about how mame deals with stuff rather than EMS' driver. Or rather, more about how windows deals with mice and how mame uses mice as lightguns.

mine are all packed away at the mo, but if I was setting up now I would test out the latest ems and see how it plays in mame. If it did not work 2 player, I'd go with smog's driver.

I had no choice to use the EMS driver because it wouldn't install for me (kept coming up with an error when trying to install the driver). The Guncon2PC on the other hand works fine for me.

Organic Jerk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2013, 12:39:09 am
  • I'm per pixel lit.
    • OmeshPersaud.com
« Reply #1743 on: March 06, 2007, 03:35:15 am »
I've noticed on my Topgun that the D-Pad's up position is rather "soft"...  Every other position gives an apparent tactile "click" when pressed, except for the Up position, which you have to press really slowly and carefully to "feel" the soft click of the button... 

Is this a commonailty among them or is it just mine?

Progress Rate:  Moderate      ||      Threads:  Cabinet  |  Art  |  MaLa Layout
XBL: OrganicJerk  |  PSN: OrganicJerk

Fozzy The Bear

• Handbags at dawn in here!!!
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2011, 11:29:59 am
  • It's Been One Of Those Days... Don't Ask!
« Reply #1744 on: March 06, 2007, 06:13:18 am »
I've noticed on my Topgun that the D-Pad's up position is rather "soft"...  Every other position gives an apparent tactile "click" when pressed, except for the Up position, which you have to press really slowly and carefully to "feel" the soft click of the button... 

Is this a commonailty among them or is it just mine?

It's quite common... My two guns do exactly the same thing.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
Most bottles and jars contain at least twenty-five percent recycled Pacman.
And research indicates that Space Invaders are strongly attracted to people who have recently eaten meat pies.

jamesvi

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 25, 2007, 09:32:25 pm
« Reply #1745 on: March 15, 2007, 09:14:16 pm »
I've installed guncon2 0.96b and am running mame .105 and mamewah fu 1.61.  The cursor bobbles around a lot on my screen.  I've played with the sensitivity in the guncon UI but it doesn't seem to help.  I've also adjusted the sensitivity, speed, etc. settings in the mame analog options screen and also no real change.  Was wondering what could be wrong or if someone could share the specific settings they have in guncon ui and mame analog settings.  Could it also be my calibration procedure - I have the bars on top and bottom of my screen (horizontal) and shoot the bottom right followed by middle, upper left, upper right, lower right and lower left.  The cursor tracks fairly close to the laser but it is just too jittery.  Thanks for any help.

Devastator

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 14, 2007, 10:24:13 pm
« Reply #1746 on: April 12, 2007, 06:42:23 pm »
i just got one of these top gun lightguns and it seems to work well in windows.  however in the latest version of mame32 the cursor is all over the screen.  it doesn't track with the gun at all, it just bounces all over the place.  i've set the controls in mame so analog x is mouse x and analog y is mouse y.  i noticed that it's extremely hard to get mame to recognize the lightguns y movement when setting analog y and it takes many tries.  i have a trackball hooked up too which works fine.  any help is appreciated.

thanx

Fozzy The Bear

• Handbags at dawn in here!!!
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2011, 11:29:59 am
  • It's Been One Of Those Days... Don't Ask!
« Reply #1747 on: April 12, 2007, 08:20:49 pm »
i just got one of these top gun lightguns and it seems to work well in windows.  however in the latest version of mame32 the cursor is all over the screen. 

Hit TAB.... Open the service menu for the game you're playing and run the internal calibration for the game. Unless the software of the original game understands where the gun is pointing you will get exactly this behavior.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
Most bottles and jars contain at least twenty-five percent recycled Pacman.
And research indicates that Space Invaders are strongly attracted to people who have recently eaten meat pies.

Devastator

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1748 on: April 12, 2007, 10:35:47 pm »
thanx for the reply.  i've looked at several games and i cannot find a service menu with a calibration.  where do you go once you hit tab?  i've setup all of the player controls and the other items on the list don't give me any options to calibrate.

Devastator

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1749 on: April 12, 2007, 10:53:43 pm »
ok, scratch that, i found the menu by flipping the service dip switch.  but how am i supposed to calibrate the gun when the reticle is bouncing all over the place.  i ran through the process for police trainer but it did absolutely nothing.  if the reticle is flashing all over the screen, how do i calibrate?
and when i say flashing, i mean rapidly flashing.  it's never in the same spot for more than a split second.

if it's any help, i've also been testing the gun in other emu's and nestopia works fine, but zsnes has the same problem with the reticle flashing all over the screen.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2007, 02:48:03 am by Devastator »

struby

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2007, 08:42:05 pm
« Reply #1750 on: April 13, 2007, 10:20:20 am »
I don't know alot about the guns, but I just want to make sure you calibrated them using the led bars.

also I have a question, when I use the lightguns, I get an effect where wherever i move the guns aim, the crosshairs in that game move that way farther, like it's only on aim in the center of the screen, is there any remedy for this?

Devastator

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1751 on: April 14, 2007, 08:07:29 pm »
struby, you'll wanna use the games internal calibration.  for most games you can do this by hitting 'tab' after starting the game and going into the dip switches menu.  from there enable service mode and  back out of the menus.  from my brief experience with this, some games will automatically go into service mode and some games you will have to restart.  when you get into service mode there should be an option for gun calibration.  for most of the games i've messed with you navigate the menus with the 1p start and 2p start buttons.  follow the games calibration steps and this should solve the problem.  hope this helps. 

D.

mwinter77

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 20, 2007, 10:53:19 pm
  • I have my own arcade controls!
« Reply #1752 on: April 20, 2007, 01:15:35 pm »
I just got my gun and can't get the dam thing to work.  It 'sees' the screen correctly ie. laser lights when in screen area and goes off when out of screen area.  I have tried the EMS 3.2 drivers first then the latest Smog guncon drivers.  Same thing with both - they show button activity and where the mouse cursor is in windows it will register a left or right click correctly - but never actually moves the pointer anywhere.  I am running XP pro sp2.  Any ideas ?
« Last Edit: April 20, 2007, 01:30:01 pm by mwinter77 »

horseboy

• Only Saint has those powers.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2021, 02:19:14 pm
  • With my last breath, I curse Zoidberg!
« Reply #1753 on: April 20, 2007, 01:35:05 pm »
Most things I have read said installing the EMS drivers first would mess up Smog's drivers. Almost all recomondations say to go with Smog's first.

Quote from: saint
saint is all powerful.

Apparently he is.

mwinter77

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1754 on: April 20, 2007, 01:56:39 pm »
I uninstalled them and manually uninstalled from device manger.  Then when connecting the gun it did ask for the driver and pointed it to the smog stuff.  If I check in device manager it shows the correct driver.  So I think that is all OK.  When installing smog's it asked for a HID compliant driver after the guncon driver installed.  Which makes sense although the connection between the gun driver and the mouse driver seems to be what is the problem - although the button click register as correct mouse clicks so its kinda wierd only mouse movement is not working.

horseboy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1755 on: April 20, 2007, 02:02:18 pm »
I am not exactly sure what the problem was, but it had something to do with some files in the registry after the EMS install.

saint is all powerful.

Apparently he is.

mwinter77

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1756 on: April 20, 2007, 02:33:57 pm »
So if I installed EMS first I am forever screwed unless I reinstall XP ?  Silverfox recommened EMS in his setup guide.  Funny thing is both drivers do the same thing for me - mouse buttons, but no pointer movement.

horseboy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1757 on: April 20, 2007, 02:44:25 pm »
I do know some people reformatted and reinstalled to fix it. I think, IIRC, you can delete some specific files in the registry to fix it. Sorry I don't remember much more than that. Just read all the way through this short little thread, and I am sure you will find what I am talking about.  ;D

saint is all powerful.

Apparently he is.

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
« Reply #1758 on: April 20, 2007, 03:26:23 pm »
My guides out of date now....

Anyway, I have swapped between all the drivers at various times without re-installing. You can always go to device manager and force certain drivers to install.

If the driver is installed, and it registers the button presses of the gun, then the driver must be working.

You must then do the hardware calibration of the Topgun itself. THEN it should start controlling the mouse pointer in windows.

If you can not control the mouse pointer in windows with the gun, do not waste any time trying to get mame to work.

Is the Red light appearing when you point at the screen, and dissapearing when you do not?
Are you far away enough from the screen?

moriartyds

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 05, 2007, 09:09:39 pm
« Reply #1759 on: April 20, 2007, 03:46:32 pm »
Since this thread has been bumped ...

I downloaded Smog's latest drivers but the control panel that comes with it no longer has the calibration button.  There doesn't seem to be a way to manually calibrate anymore via the driver.  Does anyone know if that's by design?