Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: WOW New LightGUN Info !!! Woot!!! :)  (Read 407865 times)

smithrhee

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 10, 2006, 01:49:34 pm
Re: WOW New LightGUN Info !!! Woot!!! :)
« Reply #1640 on: June 01, 2006, 04:46:24 pm »
Thank you for your effort! I read all carefully.

What do you mean by the "possible problem"?:

"Works with ePSXe (possible problem with Point Blank 3)"

(in "Verified Compatible Games" section)

Thanks in advance.

Hello All,

Just an FYI, I have updated http://wizardsworks.org/chod/gun/topgun.htm
Enjoy, and feel free to post a link to it in the Wiki.

rumpelstiltzkin

« Reply #1641 on: June 07, 2006, 08:53:32 pm »
i was thinking of getting an s-video lead to show and play  my pc games on my tv.   so when im playing my house of the dead 2 and i put my led stands on my tv but the game is coming from my pc will it work shooting at my tv screen.

horseboy

• Only Saint has those powers.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2021, 02:19:14 pm
  • With my last breath, I curse Zoidberg!
« Reply #1642 on: June 07, 2006, 09:33:19 pm »
As long as you calibrate the gun and stand back at the appropriate distance. That is partially why this thread is 42 pages. These guns can work on any monitor or projector.

Quote from: saint
saint is all powerful.

Apparently he is.

Smog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2007, 06:50:51 am
    • How to make a cheap GunCon2 work on your PC
« Reply #1643 on: June 08, 2006, 04:02:09 am »
Hi all, unfortunately my (ex) internet provider have erased my (free) website and I cannot recreate it with the same name like before. For the moment the site for the driver is

http://xoomer.virgilio.it/guncon2

I have uploaded the latest site-backup I had, but it is not SO updated. I'll try to fix it as soon as i can ... oh, and buy a domain name too ;)

sorry
GunCon2PC Driver on http://guncon2pc.no-ip.org/

lerkr

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 14, 2020, 12:02:58 am
« Reply #1644 on: June 09, 2006, 02:25:56 pm »
Can someone email me the latest driver at lerkr2002@yahoo.com? I am home working on my cabinet today and just found out Smog's site is down!!! I really want to get my dual guns going and the latest driver seems the way to go. Thanks!!!!

horseboy

• Only Saint has those powers.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2021, 02:19:14 pm
  • With my last breath, I curse Zoidberg!
« Reply #1645 on: June 09, 2006, 02:28:09 pm »
Can someone email me the latest driver at lerkr2002@yahoo.com? I am home working on my cabinet today and just found out Smog's site is down!!! I really want to get my dual guns going and the latest driver seems the way to go. Thanks!!!!

Did you look for it? Did you try looking up?

Quote from: saint
saint is all powerful.

Apparently he is.

lerkr

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1646 on: June 09, 2006, 10:25:31 pm »
Smog's site is down. Look at the prior page of posts, he did not even have a copy of the latest version when his site was erased. I was hoping someone had a zipped version they could send to me while he gets it back up and running.

Smog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1647 on: June 10, 2006, 06:24:21 am »
I've uploaded the latests version again.

smithrhee

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 10, 2006, 01:49:34 pm
5V power adapter at RadioShack
« Reply #1648 on: June 10, 2006, 01:40:46 pm »
For those who are looking for a 5V power adapter, you can find "Powered USB 1.1 Hub" at Radioshack. It's on clearance at $10. Moreover, there is a 25% additional discount for any clearance item(6/9-6/11), which makes it $7.50 + tax. You can use the power adapter included in it. It's 5V, 2.5A, which should be enough for recoil or LED.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2006, 01:43:21 pm by smithrhee »

lerkr

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1649 on: June 12, 2006, 11:52:33 am »
I've uploaded the latests version again.

Thanks Smog, the new driver worked perfectly. I have both guns working now with the button assignments FINALLY correct.

rumpelstiltzkin

« Reply #1650 on: June 13, 2006, 03:30:58 am »
i still cant get smogs to work . it doesnt show my guns. i  tried system restore and it says the new version is invalid and currupt so i treid older versions just to see but they didnt show my guns in the control panel either . can anyone properly help me and properly explain .         yawn :angry:

rumpelstiltzkin

« Reply #1651 on: June 25, 2006, 07:55:16 am »
 :blah:

dougman

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 10, 2007, 01:15:46 pm
« Reply #1652 on: June 26, 2006, 05:28:31 pm »
I cannot figure out these guns.
i will give up for the time being.
i've had it for 3 months and i cannot get it working properly

Chazz

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2020, 01:14:53 pm
« Reply #1653 on: June 28, 2006, 10:24:17 am »
Dang, Dang, Dang....   :banghead:

Everything was working great, but now I'm having problems.
If I use the recoil the gun dies after one shot.  It fires, and recoils once, then nothing.  I bought a new powered USB hub, but it didn't help.  I even pulled it into my Xbox and I get the same thing.  The gun works fine if I don't use recoil.

Is this a problem with the gun?  Drivers?  USB problem?

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks!

I had the same problem when I first got mine.  I was about to return it when I figured I'd take it apart and see if I could fix it.  The slide removes pretty easily, onece it's off try and fire the gun.  Mine had a few plastic burs on the teeth inside the slide.  Once I cleaned it up a little it worked well again.  Now I have logged at least 20 hours of play time (while in rapid-fire mode) and it hasn't missed a beat since.

I hope this helps.

- DigDreams

I took my gun apart last night.  You were right, the slide is pretty easy to pop off.  With the slide of the gun recoils fine, the motor turns with each press of the trigger.

I couldn't see anything with the inside of the gun, so I put the slide back on and I get the same problem, one shot and it dies.

Is there anything else I can fool around with?

Smiff

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 09, 2006, 02:47:06 pm
« Reply #1654 on: July 05, 2006, 09:12:58 pm »
recently got an LCD topgun, impressed, installed smog's drivers, works ok, except for one  thing:
i read somewhere this gun has a resolution of 1024x768
my htpc screen res is 1024x576.
therefore mouse tracking should be capable of moving individual pixels, right?
well it jumps more like 5-10 pixels at a time.. the res is more like 160x120.. not sure, but its a lot lower than 1024x768 anyway!
is this a driver issue (havent tried others, not keen to mess as i had a BSOD once already), a hardware problem, limitation or something else?
ive tried the sensitivity option in smog's drivers, that makes the pointer less jittery but doesnt seem to change the res much.
haven't tried the gun in games yet, but for windows navigation its not as good as i hoped.

any advice appreciated.

Ryan08

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 14, 2006, 10:01:13 am
« Reply #1655 on: July 06, 2006, 12:08:35 pm »
Can anybody help me figure out how to get these damn guns working in win 2000????  All the versions of smogs I have used won't recognize the things in the launcher.  I can get them working on an XP computer, so I know I'm not completely incompetent.  I've been going at this for well over a few (as in 4 or 5 months).   :banghead:

rumpelstiltzkin

« Reply #1656 on: July 06, 2006, 08:08:47 pm »
yeah well i still cant get mine working on xp so if there is anyone out there that can help me i really would appreciate it.     i wish i could help you ryano8 but ive only got xp maybe you could tell me something useful.

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2024, 10:29:00 am
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
« Reply #1657 on: July 06, 2006, 10:47:57 pm »
recently got an LCD topgun, impressed, installed smog's drivers, works ok, except for one  thing:
i read somewhere this gun has a resolution of 1024x768
my htpc screen res is 1024x576.
therefore mouse tracking should be capable of moving individual pixels, right?
well it jumps more like 5-10 pixels at a time.. the res is more like 160x120.. not sure, but its a lot lower than 1024x768 anyway!
is this a driver issue (havent tried others, not keen to mess as i had a BSOD once already), a hardware problem, limitation or something else?
ive tried the sensitivity option in smog's drivers, that makes the pointer less jittery but doesnt seem to change the res much.
haven't tried the gun in games yet, but for windows navigation its not as good as i hoped.

Hi,

The resolution of the guns is lower than 1024x768.

The gun actually has a hardcoded range of values that it reports (in a guncon2 compatible way) that are:

X Min =  160
X Max =  672
Y Min = 32
Y Max = 224

However you calibrate the gun, these are the range of value its sends. This is from a previous post - you should use these values in Smog's driver, unless he has already added a "TopGun" selection box. These values are hardcoded into the Linux driver.

So it has a range of 512 'units' in the X and 192 in the Y.

When you do a hardware calibration with the gun, it will simply map the distance and over that range, whatever resolution you are using (The gun never knows what resolution you use - it simply sends x/y values within the above range and driver does the rest.

So technically, in 1024x768, you should be able to move 2 pixels at a time in the X, and 4 pixels in the Y, although I suspect the error margin of readings will make this less accurate.

(Incidentally this is probably significant for people mounting the LCD mounts above/below the monitor not to the side - do you calibrate rotated 90 degrees as well? Or calibrate as normal?)

This is still as good/better than any other lightgun I've used. I believe a high-end camera track device (TrackIR products) could beat it, but these are not as viable (or cheap) for mame.

I currently own dual PC USB actlabs (not the new pistol version), dual scorpion guncon2's (including a mod to work on PC monitors) and dual Topgun's. Once calibrated, all can be quite accurate. I would suggest the Topgun's are the most accurate. They certainly do not have the glitch problems I have with all the others - based on the White Screen flashing approach, where some shots are missed, and P1 and P2 can mixed when firing at the same time. The Topguns are also the only that definately require no re-calibration between resolutions and reboots. It is a shame they are also the cheapest in terms of build quality.

lerkr

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1658 on: July 07, 2006, 10:08:26 am »
Here's a new one. I installed the latest version of Mame32 and as I set up Area 51 (using tab during gameplay), my first lightgun was detected just fine (it reads as Mouse 4) and the second detected as well (as Mouse 5). The odd thing is that it will not read the trigger press on the second gun. I am wondering if it still thinks this is the 3rd mouse button on mouse 2 which I think the older version of Mame recognized. If that is the case, does anyone know how to re-order the mice within Mame or Win Xp? Everything else works fine (trackball, spinner knob, regular mouse) and all other buttons are recognized on the cabinet.

Smiff

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 09, 2006, 02:47:06 pm
« Reply #1659 on: July 09, 2006, 02:45:33 pm »
Silver thanks a lot for that info, and i'll try those values later.
i guess i'll have to put up with the jerky cursor movement if using the gun as a pointing device (not what its really made for i know) and hope for something better to come along. i guess for actual lightgun games 192 units is enough? the virtual bullets are always bigger than 1x1 pixel anyway. a have the stands on the side of the tv btw but might move them to top/bottom to let me get closer.

so anyone have a clear idea what the sensitivity slider in smog's driver does please?
i also can't get offscreen reload to work yet but im sure thats just a matter of reading docs.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2006, 02:47:06 pm by Smiff »

Smog

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1660 on: July 11, 2006, 07:35:28 pm »
so anyone have a clear idea what the sensitivity slider in smog's driver does please?

At least me :D

It is  used to reduce jitter, the lower you set the sensitivity the most stable the cursor will be .. the result is achieved discarding little movements from the gun that can be considered "rumour" (i.e. the one coming from your breathing).

if you put the sensitivity slider on the highest value nothing is discarded nut the more you lower the more you'll have to move the gun for the cursor start following it.

P.S.: Sorry for being idle .. I'll be back after summer holidays
« Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 11:18:23 am by Smog »

rockmes

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 05, 2016, 09:41:38 am
  • Don't you love it?
« Reply #1661 on: July 12, 2006, 07:55:43 am »
Does anybody else suffer with computer lag when the gun is connected to the computer.
The gun works fine in windows xp home and also in mame with smogs latest drivers. But when l am just browsing on my computer or running general applications the computer runs shite. When l unplug the gun from usb everything goes back to normal. What could be the problem? 
I'm running 3.2 Pentium 4 ,1 gig ram ,pcie 6600 gt nvidia graphics card, etc... 

Hope you guys can help or give me some advice
« Last Edit: July 17, 2006, 08:30:49 am by rockmes »

steak

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2015, 09:08:10 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #1662 on: July 14, 2006, 11:48:55 pm »
 ::) Hi all,  I need some help please... I installed GunCon2PC driver suite version 0.9b6, my lcd top gun gets recognized, and I was able to calibrate the gun on windows xp sp2 perfectly, however, when I go to Mame, I tried duck hunt or any other light gun game and the gun is only tracking left to right and right to left, it can't track top or botto of the screen.
I am using Mame 106 and Mamewah as a FE, I also have a track ball, and a spinner so the gun is been recognized by mame as "Lightgun on Mouse 3"
any ideas why I am having this problem?

Thank you !
« Last Edit: July 15, 2006, 12:13:58 am by steak »

steak

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2015, 09:08:10 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #1663 on: July 16, 2006, 01:33:59 pm »
Got it working  :applaud:
as everyone claims, works perfect, my problem was thar I have to setup LIGHT GUN X and LIGHT GUN Y on default Player one..
working good in my cab with a mamewah FE.

rumpelstiltzkin

« Reply #1664 on: July 31, 2006, 11:31:40 am »
I emailed ems the other day to suggest they make a new driver with 2 player option.A guy called henry replied and told me they are currently working on one. I have never been able to get smogs to register my guns.Smog told me a while back that the ems driver may have ballsed up my windows xp hense the reason his does not work for me. A freind of mine suggested i try out a registry cleaner that might get rid of the ems crap traped in my computer. does anyone think this could be the answer to my problems and if so suggest a good regestry cleaner. :notworthy:

langdonx

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 18, 2009, 01:38:11 pm
« Reply #1665 on: July 31, 2006, 08:25:16 pm »
I just got two guns delivered via UPS today from lik-sang.  I opened up one, plugged the gun into the USB... wired up the sensor stands using into the FEMALE plug on the gun, but nothing really worked.

So I found the dongle with more wires, and plugged it's USB port into my computer (so I'm now using 2 USB ports) and wired the extra power-type plug from the gun into the dongle's FEMALE plug.

After that, the trigger functioned but it wasn't calibrated.  I read to hold A+B until the laser came on, but no laser ever came on.  I made sure the bottom of the gun was set to P and the "laser" switch was set to on, but got nothing ever.  I even used the wheels thinking they might enable it.

Did I plug the damn thing in wrong?  There's nothing in the manual about plugging it into a PC.  Thanks for any help you can provide.

rumpelstiltzkin

« Reply #1666 on: August 01, 2006, 06:43:35 am »
YOU only need one usb plugged in for one gun.THe other usb is for the recoil action at the top of the gun that kicks back every time you fire. But i dont think many people use it because its been known to break after a while and it makes a loud annoying clacking sound. I have also had problems with holding a+b but it usually works after a few gos. You have to stand a fair distance away before you can calibrate and play. Make sure it flashes every time you click when calibrating.The best way to see if its working is to test it on a ps2 then x box. But whatever you do dont use the ems driver use smogs you will find on these pages. Im paying the price for using ems as i cant get smogs to work now and its the only one that is meant to work great for 2 player pc games. If this doesnt help you your equipment must be broken.

Xiaou2

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 07, 2024, 05:50:03 am
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #1667 on: August 01, 2006, 08:51:43 am »
langdonx,

Make sure the LED strips are on the correct sides of your monitor.    If you reversed them,  then when you try to calibrate it wont show the laser as far as I recall.

Ritchie

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 04, 2006, 10:59:53 pm
« Reply #1668 on: August 04, 2006, 10:21:19 pm »
In Calibration Mode, it will always show the laser IF the laser is switched to on, regardless of where the leds are. They don't even need to be switched on.

It's only after calibration that the gun needs to be pointing at the screen for the Laser to come on.

I had some trouble installing Smog's driver AFTER installing the EMS driver. I had to choose Update Driver in XP's device manager and point it at SMOG's driver. Then it was fine.

Both guns are tracking fine in Windows and mame, thanks SMOG!  :cheers:

Fozzy The Bear

• Handbags at dawn in here!!!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2011, 11:29:59 am
  • It's Been One Of Those Days... Don't Ask!
« Reply #1669 on: August 04, 2006, 11:30:07 pm »
Did I plug the damn thing in wrong?  There's nothing in the manual about plugging it into a PC.  Thanks for any help you can provide.

If the Laser does not come on when you press the A and B buttons then you have a driver problem. Check your driver instalation.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
Most bottles and jars contain at least twenty-five percent recycled Pacman.
And research indicates that Space Invaders are strongly attracted to people who have recently eaten meat pies.

Vassago

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2007, 03:37:15 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #1670 on: August 27, 2006, 12:19:10 am »
Hello all, long time lurker, first time poster.

I finally broke down and bought two lcd topguns.  I am using Smogs driver.  When I was using one gun, everything was fine, it could see the entire screen no problem from a good distance.  When I hook up the other gun and stand in the same spot, all I get is a very small area of my screen.  Is something wrong with the gun or is there something I should be else I should be looking for?

Thanks in advance!

Vassago

gtcobra48

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 29, 2006, 08:07:22 pm
« Reply #1671 on: August 31, 2006, 08:49:37 pm »
Has anyone done this? If so please post step by step instructions on powering off leds automatically.

"Well, I just had an idea as far as powering the strips on and off...  If you are going to have a holster mounted on the cab for the gun, why not hack a USB extension cable to where it's 5v lead goes to a microswitch's NC lead, and then mount it with some soft of lever inside the holster?  That way, when the gun is holstered the stands would be off, when you draw the gun they power up?"

exibar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 28, 2022, 01:42:35 am
  • I'm the creator of Exibar's Lair!
« Reply #1672 on: September 01, 2006, 12:15:48 am »
I just got two guns delivered via UPS today from lik-sang.  I opened up one, plugged the gun into the USB... wired up the sensor stands using into the FEMALE plug on the gun, but nothing really worked.

So I found the dongle with more wires, and plugged it's USB port into my computer (so I'm now using 2 USB ports) and wired the extra power-type plug from the gun into the dongle's FEMALE plug.

After that, the trigger functioned but it wasn't calibrated.  I read to hold A+B until the laser came on, but no laser ever came on.  I made sure the bottom of the gun was set to P and the "laser" switch was set to on, but got nothing ever.  I even used the wheels thinking they might enable it.

The one thing that bit me with mine during the first time I tried it out was that I was way too close to the LED strips.   I found that on my 19" computer monitor I had to be at least 4 feet away from the strips before the laser would power up and the gun be recognized.

so, have you tried to simply back up away fromt he strips to try it out?   Sometimes it's the simplest things....

Mik eB

Scumgriever

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 30, 2013, 07:27:31 am
« Reply #1673 on: September 01, 2006, 03:14:09 am »
Hi all,

I'm seriously thinking of including these in my cab. A few good games of duck hunt and point blank would go a long way.
I'm a little worried about the angle of my screen though. (see pic) Is there any point in me getting a set of guns? Are they any better (anlged screen wise) than the other light guns available?

I'm sorry if this has already been covered I searched long and hard through this thread looking for it but the close to 50 pages of praise and "I just got mine. Im opening it now. WOWEE its awesome." was making me WAY too jealous.

If the answers to the previous questions are no. Then what about trying to make the screen swing forward from the top? Has anyone done this before?

NightGod

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 26, 2017, 06:59:58 pm
« Reply #1674 on: September 01, 2006, 03:15:59 am »
Don't see a pic, but I was told 15 degrees is definately not a problem and haven't really heard anything from someone with more than that.
$6.75 the hard way-one quarter at a time.

Scumgriever

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1675 on: September 01, 2006, 03:19:33 am »
Crap sorry, Forgot the pic.

panya

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 01, 2006, 12:37:16 pm
« Reply #1676 on: September 01, 2006, 12:36:51 pm »
Hi all,

I'm seriously thinking of including these in my cab. A few good games of duck hunt and point blank would go a long way.
I'm a little worried about the angle of my screen though. (see pic) Is there any point in me getting a set of guns? Are they any better (anlged screen wise) than the other light guns available?

I'm sorry if this has already been covered I searched long and hard through this thread looking for it but the close to 50 pages of praise and "I just got mine. Im opening it now. WOWEE its awesome." was making me WAY too jealous.

If the answers to the previous questions are no. Then what about trying to make the screen swing forward from the top? Has anyone done this before?

Here's my screen angle, it looks similar to yours.  If I remember, I think it's 30 degrees.  The guns worked perfectly.  Well, perfectly until I broke them somehow... I'm not sure, because I haven't tried to fix them since.  One of these days I have to look at them again, I'm just so lazy  :-\

Scumgriever

• Offline Offline
« Reply #1677 on: September 01, 2006, 12:42:58 pm »
Thats GREAT news thanks. ;D

I had pretty much given up on shooting games thinking that the angle was too much. YAY!

thunderstrike37

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 18, 2006, 03:34:31 pm
« Reply #1678 on: September 08, 2006, 12:49:16 pm »
I am trying to set up mamewah (1.61) and advancemame but having problems.  I've done some searching, and think it may have something to do with the xml2info program, and AdvanceMAME didn't have a copy in its folder.  Can someone post who is running mamewah and has a separate lightgun list post their .ini file?  Thanks in advance for your help.

I can easily tell MAMEWAH to launch advancemame for the lightgun games -
Joseph Elwell.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2006, 11:10:58 am by thunderstrike37 »

MustardTent

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 22, 2015, 12:14:02 pm
    • Blog
« Reply #1679 on: September 21, 2006, 07:27:38 pm »
Hey All,
  I just got my LCDTopGun yesterday.  I followed silver's tips, used smog's driver, and had everything working within 10 minutes.

This is by far the best gun I've ever tried.  Thanks to everyone who pioneered this path for the rest of us (and EMS too)!