Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: WOW New LightGUN Info !!! Woot!!! :)  (Read 407915 times)

cobey

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 20, 2006, 12:08:06 pm
Re: WOW New LightGUN Info !!! Woot!!! :)
« Reply #840 on: February 08, 2006, 09:46:19 pm »
i played with smogs driver some today. I was able to get it to recognize gun 1, but not successful with gun 2. I eventually went back to wingun. I did not spend too much time with smogs driver, as i was dealing with isolating my usb problems.

aljupy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 23, 2011, 07:30:06 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #841 on: February 09, 2006, 02:53:09 am »
i played with smogs driver some today. I was able to get it to recognize gun 1, but not successful with gun 2. I eventually went back to wingun. I did not spend too much time with smogs driver, as i was dealing with isolating my usb problems.

Same problem for me. In a earlier post I said that:

-For "multiplayer games": I use Wingun
-For "laggin games" (troubleshooter+other game like HOD2) I Use Guncon2Mouse.

@SMOG:
When I order something from PLAY-ASIA/LIK-SANG to Europe, customs usually charges me money and sometimes they don´t, you can´not know if they´ll charge you or not. , I have tough a lot of times before ordering my 2 guns. This time they have not charged me  ;D . I understand you, I wish you best luck next time. Maybe the best way is to do the "Fozzy the bear´s trick"

<<First impression: Calibrating this gun is a friggin nightmare!!!!!!!>> My first time was horrible too. My Gunconcon2 WAS a jewell for me too. But...if your gun/led stands are not defective, and you set up well, and after dominating some "tricks" I think you´ll enjoy this "lightGun".
For me NOW it works perfect, (10 times better than a NAMCO GUNCON2 or a SCORPION 3) and I do not count that it does its job in LCD with a BLACK Background. A shame that this gun Sucks in a Xbox/Ps2 (at least, for me) because you can not callibrate Edges, and in a PS2/Xbox Tracking are not accurate in Edges :(  just in the middle.

With Wingun and Guncon2mouse I never do HARDWARE Calibration. I just run my PC and I callibrate edges, and after that, I play games  ;) 

Please,  put here (or Link it) what you think about this gun, I´m interested what people thinks, or if these "lightGuns" are working in all configurations. OF course, I´m interested in offering HELP too

THANK YOU!!!!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2006, 03:00:38 am by aljupy »

darthbane2k

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 30, 2009, 04:54:06 am
  • Built the cab, just need the time to play!
« Reply #842 on: February 09, 2006, 03:40:31 am »

im using wingun with ONE gun and am noicing lag in HOTD2 and Mad Dog McCree. I have not tested MAME yet as caliebration has been a nightmere thus far.
Do you reccomend guncon2mouse over wingun as a single player option? What disadvantages will this give me over wingun.

Also I have a mains powered USB hub and it cuts power to the gun when both the gun and recoil function are plugged in! This is ridiclious, how much power do these things need??!!Anyone other inwah had this problem? what was the solution?

Smog

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2007, 06:50:51 am
    • How to make a cheap GunCon2 work on your PC
« Reply #843 on: February 09, 2006, 03:58:18 am »
Also tried all the drivers on a Win98 machine and could not get anything to work.  Wingun gave some errors on install and uninstall dealing with needing 16-bit DLLs instead of 32-bit.  There was only one install version.  Could not get Smog's or the drivers from the gun manufacturer to recognize the gun was installed.

Well ... if your system does not RECOGNIZE the gun you can't really blame this to  the driver. This is not an application that MUST recognize the gun but it's a piece in the operating system, when windows see the peripheral you give it the driver and that's all. The thing that could happen is that in the control panel you don't see the guns but this is a win2k related problem ...

I've noticed that (once hardware calibrated) with this gun the autocalibration works preatty well, so what you have to do is just install the driver, you would not even need to open up the control panel unless you want to change the buttons or key mapping .

So, in win98, just :
1) Hardware calibrate
2) remove any other driver for the gun (including that sh|t from EMS)
3) Install the GunCon2PC driver suite
4) hit refresh on the device manager or unplug/replug the gun
5) tell windows to load the GunCon2Mouse driver
6) Maybe restart windows (maybe)
7) KILL 'EM ALL

@Silver
Any advice on how the non linear coordinate conversion (log pot) should work ? I think a checkbox on the configuration panel could be the solution. Something like "Use log scale" ...

@Aljupy
I've noticed that you must stay a bit above the led stands, I mean you cann't stay just in front of them  ... does this happens to you too ? This was mainly the reason why the calibration drove me crazy yesterday.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2006, 04:07:08 am by Smog »
GunCon2PC Driver on http://guncon2pc.no-ip.org/

Gh0sty

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 04, 2019, 05:04:06 pm
  • flying Mame Player
« Reply #844 on: February 09, 2006, 04:40:45 am »
@ALL

EMS just released there new driver Gun2Mouse V.3.0 (98/2K/ME/XP) !
This setup up file includes the LCD TopGun Driver, the Tester program and the Gun2Mouse V3.0. The driver crashing problem in Gun2Mouse V2.1 is solved in Gun2Mouse V3.0. The performance of the gun2mouse function is also improved.

I'm at work so i cant test it until later tonight :/

Smog i hope you can sort out some of the problems you discovered with your driver,
i wanna test it out to see & feel the difference compared to Wingun on my XP system.

R
Gh0sty

Minwah

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2019, 05:03:20 am
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #845 on: February 09, 2006, 04:44:26 am »
EMS just released there new driver Gun2Mouse V.3.0 (98/2K/ME/XP) !

That's good news....it would be nice to see an official solution that works!

aljupy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #846 on: February 09, 2006, 04:51:16 am »

im using wingun with ONE gun and am noicing lag in HOTD2 and Mad Dog McCree. I have not tested MAME yet as caliebration has been a nightmere thus far.
Do you reccomend guncon2mouse over wingun as a single player option? What disadvantages will this give me over wingun.

Also I have a mains powered USB hub and it cuts power to the gun when both the gun and recoil function are plugged in! This is ridiclious, how much power do these things need??!!Anyone other inwah had this problem? what was the solution?

First of all: I´m sorry for WINGUN and GUNCON2MOUSE fans, I´m going to put here my honest opinion and the opinion of my PC:

WINGUN:
Pros :)
-SUPER EASY callibration, you can set up multiple players in less than 1 or 2 minutes (I Think most people agree here)
-It doesn´t freeze my PC while configuring/calibrating a gun or playing a game.
-It is possible To play 2 Players with same gun. It can register 2 Shoots at same time (or nearly same time, I can not detect any "visual lag" here)
-Never interfere your mouse for nothing, Mouse is mouse and gun is gun
-Assign EASYLY Any key from Keyboard/Mouse to any button of your LightGun. Guncon2Mouse has the same option but has some keys less.

cons :(
-LAG LAG LAG LAG LAG. Where? I found it in : "Troubleshooter compatible games" and in some mame games that require a lot of my PC (Like Revolution-X). Acorns (Wingun Author) Said me that some Video  Graphic´s card are the most responsible of the LAG.

GUNCON2MOUSE:
Pros :)
-It is a MOUSE. It is like an Act Labs LightGun but with tracking and a few extras more. (ACT LABS gun has a built-in mouse driver)
-Do not expect to be more "fast" than Wingun both track at same speed in WINDOWS IMHO. But this one will NEVER experiment LAG anywhere with anygame. Ideal for "Troubleshooter compatible games", or that games that requires a lot of your Graphics card.

Cons :(
-Very often (to my PC) when calibrating a gun, cursor goes like crazy
-Sometimes, mouse don´t response more. It can by fixed if you go to control panel and make some Save/Refreh.
-It is not really a con....but I need 5 Minutes to calibrate a Gun.
-I Suffer a lot to calibrate 2 guns, because sometimes, one of them goes to the left edge and stay there for looong time.

*JITTERING: Is the same on both drivers. But Guncon2Mouse has an option to reduce it......IMHO I do not recommend to have less jittering, but that is a COOL option.
*FLASHING SCREEN: lol After months asking it to both autors, now it is useless, Please, keep these option enabled in further versions, we like to remember it :D :D

I just want to say that I use both of them. Do no offense anyone. And my PC is a world totally different from the others PC.Maybe It is a coincidence, but the problem that one driver has, is fixed in the other  :D

So, you see. Sorry, but I can not recommend ONE driver. If you wants JUST ONE..... I think it depends more on the games that you like and how well the driver you choosed works with those.

About Power from USB. I Use 4 Ports of my PC. (2 for guns and the other 2 for their power) It works very Good.....Do you see what I said? Every PC is a WORLD.
For your Curiosity: I can connect my 2 guns in  the 4 Xbox portcontrollers and recoil works the same than in my PC. (PS2 just have 2 USB ports)

What about to connecting the "recoil port" of your gun in a Xbox or PS2 or an external power supply?? sometimes, I do it to have more USB ports free in my PC.

SEE YOU!!!!!!!!

« Last Edit: February 09, 2006, 05:45:12 am by aljupy »

aljupy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #847 on: February 09, 2006, 05:12:17 am »
@Aljupy
I've noticed that you must stay a bit above the led stands, I mean you cann't stay just in front of them  ... does this happens to you too ? This was mainly the reason why the calibration drove me crazy yesterday.

I HAD this problem the FIRST DAY (Last week). Right now This LightGun IS THE BEST THAT I HAVE. Aren´t you agree??
Just "play" a litlle with the Led Stands.....then you go to your "place of play" until you found that gun TRACKS PERFECT .

I said that you would found the "Trick" Didn´t me? ;) What do you thing NOW of this gun??

NAMCO in the next TIME CRISIS 4. Is going to use the "same" technology than ever: A photosensor wich works with the bright of the monitor. Why do not they use this InfraRed technology? It Tracks everyWhere. Namco is going to use the same technoly that they used in POINT BLANK (Its First GUNCON game)

GHOST SQUAD  (from SEGA)  and lot of SEGA games uses Infrared. Ghost Squad in Arcades Works flawlessly.
Fun game that uses Tracking when you must Deactivate bombs, Unleash hostages, boxing, Sniper.....

Because RGTG1 dissapointed me I never tought i would say this: INFRARED IS THE WAY!!!!!

SEE YA!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2006, 05:48:01 am by aljupy »

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2024, 10:29:00 am
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
« Reply #848 on: February 09, 2006, 06:40:59 am »
@Silver
Any advice on how the non linear coordinate conversion (log pot) should work ? I think a checkbox on the configuration panel could be the solution. Something like "Use log scale" ...

Was thinking about this. To be honest I don't think that this will work easily for jpark as it seems to change over the screen. Opwolf should be easier, but the more I think about it the stranger the behaviour is. As the game is reading the co-ordinates from the gun perfectly over the whole screen in calibration, but is totally useless in game.

I'll take a more accurate look tonight and see if the acceleration is linear over the screen or not. You might be able to just get away with a fractional scale factor (ie read the co-ords from the gun, then * 0.5 or something). This will reduce the accuracy of the gun though, and would be a serious bodge. I'm going to try and test this game with an analog joystick (just remembered i've got one in a cupboard somewhere) as I can't see it working correctly with one at all (I believe the arcade was an analog joy).

ErikRuud

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2021, 10:20:27 am
  • I'll build a cab for only 99.99.99!!!
    • Erik's humble video game page
« Reply #849 on: February 09, 2006, 08:27:48 am »
I have to say that I am very happy with these guns.  These guns have worked so well, that I have already sold both of Act-Labs guns.

I have had no problems related to the USB ports.  I use this Belkin Hub and I have tested running the power for the LED stands and recoil on both guns.  I even tried switching the recoil on both guns to full auto and holding both triggers for about a minute.

I have had a few issues with reflections/bright lights that cause some flaky performance, but I just turn off a light or two and I'm fine.

So far Wingun has performed well and easy to use, but it has some lag and does not present the system with two seperate mice.  Smog's driver works well, but the control panel has issues in Win2K that prevent me from mapping the buttons.  I'll have to try out the new drivers from EMS tonight.

Real Life.  Still a poor substitute for video games!       
American Laser Games Wrapper
O2em Rom Utility

Fozzy The Bear

• Handbags at dawn in here!!!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2011, 11:29:59 am
  • It's Been One Of Those Days... Don't Ask!
« Reply #850 on: February 09, 2006, 09:07:44 am »
 :( Well after just over a week of use it looks like my gun has failed.... It's refusing to go into hardware calibration.

It still recognises the LED stands and turns the laser on when it's pointing at them, but does not initialise hardware calibration when the A and B buttons are held down.  Also windows no longer recognises it as either a Guncon2 device or as an HID device, reporting it as an "Other USB Device"

I've mailed EMS but have had no reply so far..... but it does look like my gun is going back...  :(

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

It's almost certainly been one of those days today :'(
« Last Edit: February 09, 2006, 09:11:29 am by Fozzy The Bear »
Most bottles and jars contain at least twenty-five percent recycled Pacman.
And research indicates that Space Invaders are strongly attracted to people who have recently eaten meat pies.

MKChamp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2024, 02:45:53 pm
  • Stil around.
« Reply #851 on: February 09, 2006, 11:26:20 am »
I can't wait to hear the reviews from the new EMS software. Will this eliminate the need for the other drivers?

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #852 on: February 09, 2006, 11:30:02 am »
I can't wait to hear the reviews from the new EMS software. Will this eliminate the need for the other drivers?

I would have tried it this morning..... Only the gun has fried.... See above.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
And research indicates that Space Invaders are strongly attracted to people who have recently eaten meat pies.

patrickl

• I cannot know for certain which will be tastiest
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 27, 2021, 09:25:30 am
  • Yo momma llama
    • PocketGalaga
« Reply #853 on: February 09, 2006, 11:45:54 am »
2) remove any other driver for the gun (including that sh|t from EMS)
How do I uninstall the drivers?
This signature is intentionally left blank

RandyT

• Trade Count: (+14)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:40:25 pm
  • Friends don't let friends hack keyboards.
    • GroovyGameGear.com
« Reply #854 on: February 09, 2006, 12:06:25 pm »
:( Well after just over a week of use it looks like my gun has failed.... It's refusing to go into hardware calibration.

It still recognises the LED stands and turns the laser on when it's pointing at them, but does not initialise hardware calibration when the A and B buttons are held down.  Also windows no longer recognises it as either a Guncon2 device or as an HID device, reporting it as an "Other USB Device"

I've mailed EMS but have had no reply so far..... but it does look like my gun is going back...  :(

I wouldn't be so hasty.  I don't think the calibration will work if the drivers in your system are hosed.  And from your description, it sounds like they are.

I had the same problem the first time I plugged in the gun, prior to installing the drivers.  Once the drivers were installed, the calibration routine started working.

YMMV,
RandyT

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #855 on: February 09, 2006, 12:33:26 pm »
Thanks Randy,
                         I'll give it another try tonight.... I haven't changed anything as far as the drivers are concerned, so I'm not sure why it's suddenly playing up like this.

Might be best if I just try clear everything out and go through the registry with a fine toothcomb to weed any oddity out of it, before re-installing. I'll see what happens.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

Flinkly

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 14, 2017, 01:14:21 pm
« Reply #856 on: February 09, 2006, 12:37:35 pm »
yeah, not to offend anyone, but after all you guys install so many drivers, i wouldn't start blaming the guns till the last moment.  also, it sounds like some of you guys are coming to the end of your rope with patience for the gun system, but that's understandable.  good luck to everyone, since i'm waiting to get my own guns after you 'guinea pigs' smooth out most of the problems.

panya

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 01, 2006, 12:37:16 pm
« Reply #857 on: February 09, 2006, 12:40:54 pm »
crazy... I put in an order for two of these bad boys on Tuesday night from Play-Asia.  They shipped yesterday.  And they arrived THIS MORNING.  That's the quickest I've ever received a package.  And from Hong Kong even! 

Hopefully I'll have the same luck installing them tonight    :)

aljupy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #858 on: February 09, 2006, 12:54:18 pm »
I have tested the EMS Driver.

1) It is Like Wingun but without Laggin

2)I will use WINGUN over this one because:

In HOD2 The accuracy is something like "JURASSIC PARK" in mame, do not ask me why  ???

p.s. it doesn

destructor

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 18, 2019, 03:10:07 pm
« Reply #859 on: February 09, 2006, 01:27:58 pm »
LCD TopGun is available in European shop - PsxShop. But prize is more than crazy - 60EUR.
http://www.psxshop.nl/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=&products_id=1840&osCsid=a1e12143fc03e3e914adde9945a82f98

darthbane2k

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 30, 2009, 04:54:06 am
  • Built the cab, just need the time to play!
« Reply #860 on: February 09, 2006, 01:41:00 pm »
im disappointed with mine. you have to stand so far back just to shoot accurately.I had my brother round and he stood where he felt naturally, shots were going way off target. i cant be bothered to warn people to stay in a certain position.

aljupy

• Offline Offline
« Reply #861 on: February 09, 2006, 02:12:59 pm »
LCD TopGun is available in European shop - PsxShop. But prize is more than crazy - 60EUR.
http://www.psxshop.nl/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=&products_id=1840&osCsid=a1e12143fc03e3e914adde9945a82f98

That is the reason why the custom charged 31 €uros (Around 26 USD) to SMOG.  They want everybody paying the same expensive price.   >:(

Expect this price in All of Europe.

Cananas

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 27, 2017, 07:39:03 am
  • and the seventh day... PacMan was created
« Reply #862 on: February 09, 2006, 02:31:22 pm »
New EMS driver tested during my first 5 minutes with the gun:

- Hardware Calibration OK.
- Mapping keys: Can't map any button to the 'Alt' key. The mapped keys works on windows: mame32 menu, notepad, but it doesn't work in mame (only the trigger).
- If I switch the resolution, I must recalibrate (i think is normal, but someone said that this gun is not affected for this)

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #863 on: February 09, 2006, 02:32:16 pm »
Thanks again Randy,
                                    I should have tried the system in the first place....  ::)

Seems my registry got hosed by some miserable little utility that I was using yesterday... I have no idea what it was doing messing with the guncon drivers though. Restored the registry from three days ago, when I know it was working and the gun calibration came back on.

I've got the gun back running, but I've now hit another problem. with Smog's driver......  (please don't suggest Wingun.... I can't get that working at all)

For some unknown reason, the gun is only active if it's pluged in when I reboot the machine. I can do the hardware calibration, but the mouse cursor will only track 3/4 of the way down the screen and then the gun drops it and it goes and sits in the top left corner. The strange thing is that it tracks from one side to the other perfectly.  The gun isn't losing sight of the stands either, because the laser is still on way past the edge of the monitor.

Unfortunately, pointing off screen doesn't seem to release the cursor to mouse control, even though I have that set in Smog's driver. The only way I can get mouse control is to unplug the gun, then plug it back in again...

Although that has another problem, in that although the gun is recognised again by windows, no matter what I do the driver won't pick the mouse cursor back up and won't calibrate (no matter how many times I refresh it). I can see the coordinates changing if I look in the driver.... but it just won't pick up the mouse or respond to the trigger and other buttons.

So right now my main problem is that I can't get into the driver control panel while the gun is active, because it won't move the mouse pointer down there, and I can't set the software calibration up because I need my mouse to get at it, and it won't release the mouse while it is active. Catch22...

I'm not giving up.... but it is driving me absolutely mad right now. I'm spending way more time trying to get it to work than I am running games.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

ChicagoDave

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 18, 2023, 11:08:23 am
    • Dave's Website
« Reply #864 on: February 09, 2006, 02:34:57 pm »
I have to say that I am very happy with these guns.  These guns have worked so well, that I have already sold both of Act-Labs guns.

I have had no problems related to the USB ports.  I use this Belkin Hub and I have tested running the power for the LED stands and recoil on both guns.  I even tried switching the recoil on both guns to full auto and holding both triggers for about a minute.

I have had a few issues with reflections/bright lights that cause some flaky performance, but I just turn off a light or two and I'm fine.

So far Wingun has performed well and easy to use, but it has some lag and does not present the system with two seperate mice.  Smog's driver works well, but the control panel has issues in Win2K that prevent me from mapping the buttons.  I'll have to try out the new drivers from EMS tonight.

Hi Erik,

It seems that you really didn't like the Act Lab's guns.  I am planning to get the Act Labs TV Gun and I was wondering why you seem to hate them so much?

Thanks in advance,
Dave
Homer Simpson:
"Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems."

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #865 on: February 09, 2006, 03:14:32 pm »
It seems that you really didn't like the Act Lab's guns.  I am planning to get the Act Labs TV Gun and I was wondering why you seem to hate them so much?

I think I can answer that one for you Dave.... They're not very accurate, hits tend not to always land where the guns are pointing. They have severe tracking problems on anything except a bright screen, because they need the light to know where they're pointing, so live tracking is near to impossible. Sometimes they will only track when the trigger is pulled and even then to get them to do it you have to flash the screen so they know where they're pointing.

The LCD Gun on the other hand, can track no matter how bright or dim the screen is and lands shots much more accurately. It's more of a fiddle to get it working, but when it does work it's way better and within a few weeks the driver issues should have been sorted out and it should then be a lot easier to install.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

evh347

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 22, 2022, 04:58:20 pm
« Reply #866 on: February 09, 2006, 03:17:01 pm »
My (non-working) gun shows up in the Device Manager (WinXP Pro) as a "Guncon 2 or Compatible HD Device".  My other gun (working) also shows up in the Device Manager.  The non-working gun's laser does not turn on and the gun does not recoil.  Unplugging the USB recoil function does not remedy the situation. 

On the non-working gun, I've tried holding both the A and B buttons together and the laser does not turn on.  Yes, the laser switch is turned "on".  I've tried hitting Select and Start together to cancel...that doesn't do anything to reset the gun either.

I've tried all six of my USB connections, I've tried various drivers (Wingun works best), I've tried a system restore, and I've tried rebooting.

I'm about ready to give up...and NOW...I have a problem in HOTD2.

It seems player one won't fire when hitting the Left Mouse.  It won't even fire when using my mouse.   What gives?  My working gun fires in Mame and WINGUN's buttons are configured to Trigger=Left Mouse.  But, the mouse won't fire for Player One either.  I went into the HOTD2 config utiliity, but I don't see where to configure the Player One controls beyond "Mouse/Keyboard".  Anybody help? 

ChicagoDave

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 18, 2023, 11:08:23 am
    • Dave's Website
« Reply #867 on: February 09, 2006, 03:27:52 pm »

I think I can answer that one for you Dave.... They're not very accurate, hits tend not to always land where the guns are pointing. They have severe tracking problems on anything except a bright screen, because they need the light to know where they're pointing, so live tracking is near to impossible. Sometimes they will only track when the trigger is pulled and even then to get them to do it you have to flash the screen so they know where they're pointing.

The LCD Gun on the other hand, can track no matter how bright or dim the screen is and lands shots much more accurately. It's more of a fiddle to get it working, but when it does work it's way better and within a few weeks the driver issues should have been sorted out and it should then be a lot easier to install.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

Thanks!
Homer Simpson:
"Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems."

ahofle

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2023, 05:10:22 pm
    • Arcade Ambience Project
« Reply #868 on: February 09, 2006, 03:40:17 pm »

Do you have Act Labs TV guns?  THey ALWAYS require the trigger to pull to track, and they always flash the screen when you pull the trigger.  That's why there is an S-Video pass through.  So it does not matter if the 'screen is dark', the flash makes it bright.  Not sure what you mean here.  I find the accuracy to be pretty damn good when you calibrate carefully.  HOTD2 works absolutely perfectly with them, and every MAME lightgun game I've tried works very well, with the exception of the 'tracking' games like T2.  My only complaint is that I don't like the screen flashing.  I was hoping these LED guns would solve that problem, but I find it absolutely ridiculous that you have to stand 4-6 feet away (or twice the display width) from the screen to get them to even work.  Until that minimum distance is improved, I doubt I'll part with my act-labs guns.  I can stand whereever I want, keep the lights in the basement on, and don't have to tell my friends exactly where to stand when we play gun games.

Lilwolf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 31, 2022, 10:26:34 pm
« Reply #869 on: February 09, 2006, 03:48:22 pm »
Anyone try the new drivers with two guns yet??  I wont be able to play for a few days :(

Anyway, about the drivers... your system isn't as hosed as mine was... For 1/2 a day when I plugged my gun in, XP INSTANTLY went to blue screen of death (first time I've seen in in XP) then reboot!  I had spent 100 bucks and shipped something across the world... for a convient reset button! 

I ended up having to edit my registry by hand removing all the drivers... then it worked...  I can see by the time we get all these drivers working well, a bunch of people will have to reinstall windows XP.

MKChamp

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 07, 2024, 02:45:53 pm
  • Stil around.
« Reply #870 on: February 09, 2006, 04:27:41 pm »
Ok...I installed the new EMS driver. 2 things...

1) doesn't look like off screen reload works. Offscreen shots should register as right mouse button. Does anyone know how to configure that in there gun2mouse software?

2) in the fire test util, the center shot lines up perfectly but the 4 corner circles are way off. How are we suppose to calibrate this with their stuff??

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
« Reply #871 on: February 09, 2006, 04:32:55 pm »
It seems player one won't fire when hitting the Left Mouse.  It won't even fire when using my mouse.   What gives?  My working gun fires in Mame and WINGUN's buttons are configured to Trigger=Left Mouse.  But, the mouse won't fire for Player One either.  I went into the HOTD2 config utiliity, but I don't see where to configure the Player One controls beyond "Mouse/Keyboard".  Anybody help? 

If left mouse button won't fire when using the mouse, but its set in HOTD2 config, then it sounds like you are running the Troubleshooter.

A word to anyone who has installed the troubleshooter, it activates itself by default for ALL games it supports - that means it is intercepting the controls input. I had this issue and thought I was going nuts... Go to the control panel, run the toubleshooter config, and you can enable/disable support for games. Read the docs too about what you need to select to get the game working. I recall having your problem when I had selected ActLabs PC USB guns and not PC TV guns - they are the setting that appear to work with the troubleshooter for this LCD gun.

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
« Reply #872 on: February 09, 2006, 07:31:45 pm »
Ok...I installed the new EMS driver. 2 things...

1) doesn't look like off screen reload works. Offscreen shots should register as right mouse button. Does anyone know how to configure that in there gun2mouse software?

2) in the fire test util, the center shot lines up perfectly but the 4 corner circles are way off. How are we suppose to calibrate this with their stuff??

Same results here - except although the test is inaccurate, I found its quite accurate to use. It looks like they have simply drawn the 4 external targets in the wrong place (!)...

Offscreen reload - surprised that does not work. Smog your driver works here - when firing off screen what do you send? I did not think it was 2nd mouse button (eg in Lethal enforcers, only 1 button per player available to map) and right mouse will not reload gun, but shooting offscreen does. Is it a left mouse button with a 0,0 co-ordinate or something else?

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
« Reply #873 on: February 09, 2006, 08:12:28 pm »
Opwolf 3 info...

I've tried playing Opwolf3 with an analog joystick with strange (I think) results. The arcade machine used a positional joystick (inside a gun case) so it should be playable with an analog joy (again, I think). I don't why the driver uses a lightgun input.

I can calibrate it fine (same as lightgun) - it reads out the full values of X,Y from 0 to 500 for each.

In game - the crosshairs ALWAYS start near the lower left of the screen, about 15% in from the left edge, and almost on the bottom edge. The means that (at the moment) in-game ALL -ve readings on the Y-axis are completely ignored. I'm using a return to centre analog joy, and it always returns to the same point, bottom left (note in the driver the port is set to start in the middle of the screen), so I presume its the game itself doing this.

I can only assume that this is to do with the position of the guns mounted near the screen:

http://www.klov.com/game_detail.php?letter=O&game_id=8928

where I presume that moving each gun to point to the calibration points is going to give an unusual reading on the joystick.

What would be handy here is knowing someone who owned a Op wolf 3 cab, who could supply some gun calibration readings from the service menu.....

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #874 on: February 09, 2006, 08:28:39 pm »
Has anybody had any luck with installing the Acorns Wingun driver on 98se ??

The following is what his web site says:
I'm using Windows 95/98/ME and it won't work!
After version 0.9B a seperate installer is provided for Windows 95/98/ME. Use this instead of the standard installer. Also, note that not all features are available under the older operating systems!

I can't find the installer he's talking about anywhere... and I'm getting errors during the install that mean that the drivers themselves are not actually installing.

If anybody knows the correct proceedure for this, please let me know.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

panya

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 01, 2006, 12:37:16 pm
« Reply #875 on: February 09, 2006, 08:40:10 pm »
incase anybody wants to shop from Play-Asia, I got a $5 off coupon with my order also:
DH-TXO-VCF

minimum product value $50
expires 4-8-2006

cobey

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 20, 2006, 12:08:06 pm
« Reply #876 on: February 09, 2006, 09:18:00 pm »
bought a second powered usb hub. Everything works great now. Wingun is dead on accurate. House of the dead three is great (except it auto reloads even though all the autoreload options are off) and mad dog was great also.

The only question i have left is why some people are turning off the troubleshooter for mame? It does not seem to effect area 51 when i leave it enabled.

cobey

ErikRuud

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2021, 10:20:27 am
  • I'll build a cab for only 99.99.99!!!
    • Erik's humble video game page
« Reply #877 on: February 09, 2006, 09:52:55 pm »
Why have something running when you do not need it?
Real Life.  Still a poor substitute for video games!       
American Laser Games Wrapper
O2em Rom Utility

JODY

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2024, 05:21:07 pm
  • After a long delay...the arcade is underway!
« Reply #878 on: February 09, 2006, 09:56:29 pm »

After version 0.9B a seperate installer is provided for Windows 95/98/ME. Use this instead of the standard installer. Also, note that not all features are available under the older operating systems!

I can't find the installer he's talking about anywhere... and I'm getting errors during the install that mean that the drivers themselves are not actually installing.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

I had the same problem.  Tried Smog's driver on Win98 and it said a DLL was missing some functionality and asked if I was using the correct version.  I'm running Win98SE with the latest updates.

Fozzy The Bear

• Offline Offline
« Reply #879 on: February 09, 2006, 10:16:12 pm »

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)

I had the same problem.  Tried Smog's driver on Win98 and it said a DLL was missing some functionality and asked if I was using the correct version.  I'm running Win98SE with the latest updates.

I managed to install Smog's Guncon2PC Driver..... But I've got major problems getting it to work. It drops the mouse cursor in the bottom 1/3rd of the screen for unknown reasons and I can't calibrate it.

Acorn's Wingun just simply won't install at all.... Like I said I'm struggling to find the win98 installer he talks about on his web  page.

At the moment my everyday machine is WinXP so no huge problems although still fiddly to install on.  But my Mame Cab is very much a Win98 machine. So I really need to install a working driver on there. So please if anybody knows how to install Wingun on 98se shout up!!

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)