Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: WOW New LightGUN Info !!! Woot!!! :)  (Read 407965 times)

HOTR6

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2006, 09:21:13 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Re: WOW New LightGUN Info !!! Woot!!! :)
« Reply #320 on: January 27, 2006, 06:45:10 pm »
Alright I received mine. I only opened 1 seeingas how I better get 1 gong rightandthen try to tackle 2!
I mounted teh LED stands. I did not put them on the "sides" of the TV because they will not fit between the TV and cab. I put them ON the face of the case right next to the screen. I will post pics when my husband comes home with my CF card!
Now I plugged the LED stands into the gun and from the gun plugged in the adapter they sent and then plugged the 2 USB plugs into the computer.
I get power to the gun. I did the hold A and B down and then did what it said left LED, center corners, in the order it said. I may have been a bit slow don't know if that matters. I sited like I would a normal gun, I did not point the laser at teh corners and fire. I don't know if this is a problem. I installed Wingun. It says there is a gun on there, I tried the auto calibrate and it says to moove the gun between the lines. I do and very sparadically the cursor moves around. I finished that and tried to get police trainer to work, no dice! I don't really know what is goin on. I will try to load the drivers frfom the site (the old ones) Any word? Is anybody brave enough to do a "Top Gun light guns for Dummies" thread? I really need the whole step by step process.

fjser

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2024, 01:42:51 pm
« Reply #321 on: January 27, 2006, 06:54:04 pm »
Great thread, looking forward to purchasing these.  So where is the best play to order from in the US currently? Looks like playasia.com has them the cheapest. Are they also the fastest shipping right now?

ChicagoDave

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 18, 2023, 11:08:23 am
    • Dave's Website
« Reply #322 on: January 27, 2006, 07:43:28 pm »
Hi All,

I'm new to the board and have been planning to add a lightgun to my cabinet.  Up until I saw this thread I was planning to get the Act Labs USB TV gun.  It seems that everyone is going crazy ordering these TopGun guns, even people that already have the Act Labs gun.  What is the problem with the Act Labs gun other than the price and the fact that it will only work on a TV and not other displays.  Have people had trouble with the Act Labs gun?  I like the TopGun gun except for the fact you have to hang the LEDs on the side of the monitor.  I think it might lesson the look of the cabinet.  Waiting for pics....

Any help would be appreciated before I order a gun.  Thanks!
Homer Simpson:
"Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems."

unclet

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 26, 2023, 07:34:43 pm
« Reply #323 on: January 27, 2006, 08:17:17 pm »
Just hide the LEDs under smoked plexi or simply behind the bezel with little holes cut in it ... perhaps..

Farmboy90

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 26, 2006, 12:15:04 am
  • My cab is done... Pics coming soon!!
« Reply #324 on: January 27, 2006, 08:23:41 pm »
Hi All,

I'm new to the board and have been planning to add a lightgun to my cabinet.  Up until I saw this thread I was planning to get the Act Labs USB TV gun.  It seems that everyone is going crazy ordering these TopGun guns, even people that already have the Act Labs gun.  What is the problem with the Act Labs gun other than the price and the fact that it will only work on a TV and not other displays.  Have people had trouble with the Act Labs gun?  I like the TopGun gun except for the fact you have to hang the LEDs on the side of the monitor.  I think it might lesson the look of the cabinet.  Waiting for pics....

I can post a picture if you want, but honestly it would be a waste.  You can't seen them behind my smoked plexiglas.

ChicagoDave

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 18, 2023, 11:08:23 am
    • Dave's Website
« Reply #325 on: January 27, 2006, 08:29:26 pm »
Hi All,

I can post a picture if you want, but honestly it would be a waste.  You can't seen them behind my smoked plexiglas.

That would be great, but why is everyone dumping the Act Labs gun?
Homer Simpson:
"Here's to alcohol, the cause of, and solution to, all life's problems."

Brax

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 06, 2009, 09:03:48 am
  • Bring on the power tools!
« Reply #326 on: January 27, 2006, 09:06:18 pm »
So has anyone actually got these things working reasonably well yet? It ships with a driver that doesn't even work?

I'm not exactly sold on these yet.
If you build a frankenpanel, chances are I don't care for you as a person.

Fozzy The Bear

• Handbags at dawn in here!!!
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2011, 11:29:59 am
  • It's Been One Of Those Days... Don't Ask!
« Reply #327 on: January 27, 2006, 09:38:28 pm »
By tha way - I'm UK based and ordered via playasia and paid $42 for UPS shipping. I basically went for playasia as thats what other uk based byoacers seem to have done (nothing against lik-sang !).

Nothing against either of them, but I'm UK based and went straight to the source..... Mine shipped on Tuesday straight from the manufacturer.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2006, 09:48:38 pm by Fozzy The Bear »
Most bottles and jars contain at least twenty-five percent recycled Pacman.
And research indicates that Space Invaders are strongly attracted to people who have recently eaten meat pies.

Farmboy90

• Offline Offline
« Reply #328 on: January 27, 2006, 09:58:06 pm »
I just took some pics of mine installed...  I will upload them in a bit... Stay tuned

** EDIT ***

For those of you wanting pictures.

Pic1 - machine is off, LED stands are off, light in the room is on.  You can't see the stands at all this way.

Pic2 - the machine is on, LED stands are on, light in room is off.  The camera clearly picks up the infrared beams as I have circled.  Pretty neat actually.  Of course you can't see this with the naked eye.  You can't see the stands either.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2006, 10:35:34 pm by Farmboy90 »

Farmboy90

• Offline Offline
« Reply #329 on: January 27, 2006, 10:37:01 pm »
Two more pics.

Pic3 - A closeup of pic2.

Pic4 - Machine is on, LEDs are on, light in room is on.  You can't see the stands here either.

mark6437

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 23, 2020, 03:20:11 pm
  • THB2
« Reply #330 on: January 27, 2006, 10:38:28 pm »
Can you see your screen in the light enough to play it? Mame I mean, not the guns. Seems like that smoked glass would make it really hard to see in the light.

Mark

ErikRuud

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 05, 2021, 10:20:27 am
  • I'll build a cab for only 99.99.99!!!
    • Erik's humble video game page
« Reply #331 on: January 27, 2006, 10:49:11 pm »
Brax, 

These guns are way better than any thing that has gone before!

The driver works, but there is an issue with the Gun2Mouse utility, but there is an older version that works.

Wingun does an even better job of supporting these guns.

So far one gun will work in every game that has been tried.  Two guns work in some games, but not in others.

Real Life.  Still a poor substitute for video games!       
American Laser Games Wrapper
O2em Rom Utility

ErikRuud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #332 on: January 27, 2006, 10:52:58 pm »
I opened up the LED stands from my second gun.  I will be using this set with Playstation2 , so I did not completely disassemble them.

the backs are held in by several small screws.  Once the screws are removed, the backs will pop right off.  Inside each cluster of leds is mounted on a seperate circuit board with a two condcter wire running from board to board.

For those with really tight spaces, it should be no problem to decase them and mount the led circuits to the back of your bezel.
O2em Rom Utility

Farmboy90

• Offline Offline
« Reply #333 on: January 27, 2006, 11:02:41 pm »
Can you see your screen in the light enough to play it? Mame I mean, not the guns. Seems like that smoked glass would make it really hard to see in the light.

Mark

Yeah the pictures don't do it justice.  The picture looks MUCH better to me than clear glass.  Even in daylight.  It is hard to play vector games like Tempest in the middle of the day, so I have to draw the blinds a bit.  I am not sure if I would need to do the same thing with clear glass though.

The pictures I took just don't show well.  However I play this thing all day with no issues at all.  The biggest problem is light reflecting off of the glass, but that has nothing to do with the tint.

Here look at this:

http://www.oscarcontrols.com/smoked/

This shows the difference more clearly.

Farmboy90

• Offline Offline
« Reply #334 on: January 28, 2006, 12:10:32 am »
FCE Ultra fans...  This guns works there just fine.   ;D

I just killed a bunch of ducks.   ;D

Either of these worked:
- In the toolbar click on Config -> Input -> under "Famicom Expansion Port", select "Hyper Shot gun."

Or

- Don't do above, and select Zapper from Port 2.

Either way it worked.

The mouse cursor on the screen was about an inch or two from my laser pointer.  So all I did was shoot ducks following the mouse pointer.  I also adjusted my laser pointer so it matched up with the mouse pointer and then followed that.

Anyone know how to turn the mouse pointer off??
« Last Edit: January 28, 2006, 12:39:07 am by Farmboy90 »

HOTR6

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2006, 09:21:13 am
« Reply #335 on: January 28, 2006, 12:19:29 am »
Okay. I got the gun tracking! BUT I can't get it to register in the games. I am trying Police Trainer and it wont do anything.
ALSO.... is there a way to get the red laser dot to line up with were you point or is it always going to be off so I should turn it off?
Thanks

Farmboy90

• Offline Offline
« Reply #336 on: January 28, 2006, 12:33:05 am »
Okay. I got the gun tracking! BUT I can't get it to register in the games. I am trying Police Trainer and it wont do anything.
ALSO.... is there a way to get the red laser dot to line up with were you point or is it always going to be off so I should turn it off?
Thanks

Post the "### Input device options ###" section of your mame.ini file.  You should enable lightgun support etc...  Mine looks like this (at least the relevnt lines)

mouse                   1
lightgun                1
dual_lightgun           0
lightgun_device         lightgun

You can adjust the red laser with the two dial knobs that are on the laser housing.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2006, 12:38:25 am by Farmboy90 »

Farmboy90

• Offline Offline
« Reply #337 on: January 28, 2006, 01:18:33 am »
ErikRudd or Silver,

Have you guns been able to successfully auto-calibrate in wingun for player 2?  Player 1 works fine, but when I go to calibrate gun two I can't get past the first screen.

The screen says something about cehking for rolling x and to move the gun between the two red lines.  I can do that for 5 minutes with player 2 - it will never move to the next screen.

I can use the gun still in games, but it doesn't work well.

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2024, 10:29:00 am
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
« Reply #338 on: January 28, 2006, 03:16:17 am »
@Silver,
have you read the Documentation "How to install Driver"
and "My mouse is not recognised" at the CPNMouse site??

Yes, I've added the gun HID/PID to the cpnmouse.inf file and XP still refuses to accept it.

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
« Reply #339 on: January 28, 2006, 03:21:54 am »
ErikRudd or Silver,

Have you guns been able to successfully auto-calibrate in wingun for player 2?  Player 1 works fine, but when I go to calibrate gun two I can't get past the first screen.

The screen says something about cehking for rolling x and to move the gun between the two red lines.  I can do that for 5 minutes with player 2 - it will never move to the next screen.

Yes, Wingun lets me auto-calibrate player2 just fine.

Does the mouse move when you are trying to autocalibrate gun 2?
Have you remembered to leave Gun2's LED stands in their box?
Have you remembered to calibrate Gun2 (hold down A+B on the gun)?

If thats ok, and wingun says gun2 is available, then select gun2 and click calibrate and manually enter some small values. I found once that there was a value greater than 1000 in there that stopped it working as it carried this over into the autocalibration (bug I think). Trying copying the gun1 values in manually, perhaps lowering them a but, and then autocalibrating.

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
« Reply #340 on: January 28, 2006, 03:25:24 am »
Thanks

I windows, using wingun, I get the laser exactly lining up with the mouse pointer.

I actually lined up the laser to be roughly center (you can manually move the laser site up/down/left/right on the gun) which also looked pretty straight aiming down the barrel. I then autocalibrated in wingun, and after that it was dead in in windows.

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
« Reply #341 on: January 28, 2006, 03:38:33 am »
@Silver,
have you read the Documentation "How to install Driver"
and "My mouse is not recognised" at the CPNMouse site??

Yes, I've added the gun HID/PID to the cpnmouse.inf file and XP still refuses to accept it.

I modified their instructions slightly (to use usb/....) instead of (HID/...) and that enabled me to install the CPN mouse driver for the gun, unfortunately you end up with a yellow exclamation point and windows can't start the device. (even after a reboot). Basically it seems the hardware would need to register as a HID Pointing device to work with the CPN driver?

darthbane2k

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 30, 2009, 04:54:06 am
  • Built the cab, just need the time to play!
« Reply #342 on: January 28, 2006, 04:08:59 am »

make it transparent?

darthbane2k

• Offline Offline
« Reply #343 on: January 28, 2006, 04:22:24 am »

I just killed a bunch of ducks.   ;D

Either of these worked:
- In the toolbar click on Config -> Input -> under "Famicom Expansion Port", select "Hyper Shot gun."

Or

- Don't do above, and select Zapper from Port 2.

Either way it worked.

The mouse cursor on the screen was about an inch or two from my laser pointer.  So all I did was shoot ducks following the mouse pointer.  I also adjusted my laser pointer so it matched up with the mouse pointer and then followed that.

how about zsnes and yoshis safari?

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
« Reply #344 on: January 28, 2006, 05:40:44 am »
how about zsnes and yoshis safari?

Just played yoshi safari no problems with snes9x (hit 7 a few times to emulate superscope). Could not get it working with zsnes though. (I've never used zsnes before though, so could be me).

Minwah

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2019, 05:03:20 am
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #345 on: January 28, 2006, 07:01:29 am »
By tha way - I'm UK based and ordered via playasia and paid $42 for UPS shipping. I basically went for playasia as thats what other uk based byoacers seem to have done (nothing against lik-sang !).

UPS shipping to UK with Lik-Sang is only $28...but I think the gun itself is ~$5 more expensive than PlayAsia.

ErikRuud

• Offline Offline
« Reply #346 on: January 28, 2006, 07:47:59 am »
ErikRudd or Silver,

Once or twice I had trouble autocalibrating Gun2.  I shutdown Wingun and then re-calibrated the gun, before restarting Wingun and doing the autocalibrate again.

O2em Rom Utility

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 07, 2024, 05:50:03 am
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #347 on: January 28, 2006, 07:48:22 am »
 Just a heads up Recomendation...

Play  " Shooting Gallery "   for the Sega Master System emulators.

Simular in style to  'Point Blank'.     Shoot mechanical ducks in wild flight patterns, rising ballons that get pushed away if you do not hit them directly in center,  space ships w/ sheilds that go on/off,  marbles that roll into and out of pipeing,  TVs that say es or no.. and much more whacky but wild stuff.    Upon reaching certain levels..  you will see the same objects.. but the movment speeds, patterns, ect.. will be different and more challenging.   The art and sounds are great, as is the fun factor and replay value :)     

Gh0sty

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 04, 2019, 05:04:06 pm
  • flying Mame Player
« Reply #348 on: January 28, 2006, 08:34:39 am »
Just a heads up Recomendation...

Play  " Shooting Gallery "   for the Sega Master System emulators.

One reason why i bought this LCD guns is "Shooting Gallery" :)
years ago it was our favorite game on the sega master system!

aljupy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 23, 2011, 07:30:06 pm
« Reply #349 on: January 28, 2006, 02:53:22 pm »
Hi All :

This message is specially for SILVER.

Hey,Silver: I tough is better to ask it  here than in a PM  :)

Have you got a "SCORPION 3"??.......I Would like to ask you a Mini-comparasion here.... Has "LCD TOP GUN" the same tracking and accuracy than a "SCORPION 3" with a White screen/Backgroud/colour ?

P.S. I saw your T2 Video...it was Flawlesly  :o

THANKS FOR ALL

ahofle

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2023, 05:10:22 pm
    • Arcade Ambience Project
« Reply #350 on: January 28, 2006, 05:03:24 pm »
Sire that would be great.  But honestly I cannot see myself ever going back to Win98.

THX!

Mark

Well, FWIW here it is:

mameanalog.exe -nohws -lightgun -mouse area51

and it's version 0.76.1 of mameanalog+
I think that's the only version I ever got to work correctly.

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
« Reply #351 on: January 29, 2006, 11:14:23 am »
This message is specially for SILVER.

Hey,Silver: I tough is better to ask it  here than in a PM  :)

Have you got a "SCORPION 3"??.......I Would like to ask you a Mini-comparasion here.... Has "LCD TOP GUN" the same tracking and accuracy than a "SCORPION 3" with a White screen/Backgroud/colour ?

P.S. I saw your T2 Video...it was Flawlesly  :o

Well before I answer that I will remind you that I was using the Scorpion3's through the sync-converter chip so that I could use them on a pc monitor - this may have had an impact on their accuracy....

To be honest when comparing on a completely white screen (eg WinGun's calibration screen) there is not a huge amount in it. The guncon2's tracked pretty well when the screen was bright. There is also jitter on both, although I have less jitter on the LCD gun.

Overall though, the LCD gun is more accurate (as well as always tracking). It is noticeable in a game where  occaisonally with the Guncons I would find that the odd shot would be obviously way out. With the LCD guns I find everything spot on (once calibrated). As a a dirt-cheap hack though, there is nothing wrong with using a couple of guncon's - they are fine for playing pointblank/area51 if you are using a CRT. (You can pick up a guncon for peanuts).

NB Jitter. Don't have the guns hooked up today, but I've used them with WinGin. Can anybody who has used the old (working) EMS Gun2Mouse program confirm that the mouse pointer jitters when you control it? It's just occured to me that you should be able to eliminate jitter if the accuracy claim of the LCD gun is true. I think WinGun is coded to attempt to reduce jitter so may actually be not helping the situation. Jitter would typically be caused by the rather small error margin there is when calculating a position based on the speed of a screen and line draw by the VGA card compared to a response from the gun (I think).

Seeing as there is no VGA calculation involved, I was thinking that (hopefully) the LCD gun system would report a pretty constant location if it was held very still (on a tripod). This is completley irrlevant to actual use as they are accurate enough, but I was curious.

Silver

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
  • Cunning like the Fox.
    • Mods'n'Mods
« Reply #352 on: January 29, 2006, 11:28:30 am »
Its just occured to me that as each gun is an seperate USB device with no interaction with the LED stands I can't see anything restricting the number of guns you could use.

It occured to me as WinGun appears to support 4 guns.....  ;)

But then I can't think of any games that had 4 guns anyway. Although if we ever get CPN mouse driver to support the guns, which allows up to 8 mice, you could in theory play games like Rag-Doll Kung Fu with a gun instead of a mouse (weird but fun game designed for multiplayer mouse action - up to 8 mice I believe!)

blakes

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 07, 2008, 02:36:51 pm
    • http://www.neo-revelation.org/~neotek/arcade
« Reply #353 on: January 29, 2006, 02:56:58 pm »
I currently have mine mounted on the outside of the cabinet.  They are working great with the Wingun drivers.  Here are some shots of my friend playing HOD3 with them.

darthbane2k

• Offline Offline
« Reply #354 on: January 29, 2006, 06:59:46 pm »
I currently have mine mounted on the outside of the cabinet.  They are working great with the Wingun drivers.  Here are some shots of my friend playing HOD3 with them.

how are you playing HOTD 3?  via xbox?

JoyMonkey

• Voodoo Wiki Master . . .
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 25, 2024, 05:52:09 pm
  • Candy is Dandy but Liquor is Quicker
    • JoyMonkey.com
« Reply #355 on: January 29, 2006, 09:58:36 pm »
Just incase I missed anyone, I'm trying to do a
BOSTON AREA GROUP BUY
You must be able to pick up from Salem or Somerville.
So far I've got 6 units, which brings the cost with shipping down to $40 for each gun.
I'm hoping to place the order by the end of this week.

PM me if you're in the area and interested, or email joymonkey@gmail.com

Cheers!

MPTech

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 31, 2023, 06:13:37 pm
  • UltimateArcade completed!
« Reply #356 on: January 29, 2006, 10:01:35 pm »
Did anyone ever pull together a group purchase?  I'm interested.
MPTech
   Better living thru technology!   ;-)

aljupy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 23, 2011, 07:30:06 pm
« Reply #357 on: January 30, 2006, 02:18:15 am »
THANKS SILVER  :D

I

ahofle

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2023, 05:10:22 pm
    • Arcade Ambience Project
« Reply #358 on: January 30, 2006, 11:22:53 am »

Is it necessary to stand that far back for the gun to be accurate?  I sure hope not.

Silverwind

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2022, 12:49:09 am
« Reply #359 on: January 30, 2006, 11:30:40 am »
Let's start a list of which games have been tested.

If anyone has successfully gotten a game to work, send me a PM.

Include the following information:

Game Name
Type (MAME, PC, SNES, Etc)
Emulator Version
Driver Used (EMS, Wingun, Guncon2)
Os (WinXp, Win 200, etc)
# of guns working

I'll add the listing to my page. http://erikruud.freeservers.com/arcade/lcdtopgun.html

That is a great idea.  I have been looking at light guns for a while but have not bit the bullet due to problems with previous solutions.