Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: MAME needs Artist for PolePosition  (Read 2680 times)

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 05, 2017, 10:20:56 am
  • I want my own arcade controls!
MAME needs Artist for PolePosition
« on: February 22, 2005, 08:02:29 pm »
Since there are so many talented artist here, I thought one of you may want to contribute to MAME.  Currently, MAME displays text in the middle of the screen indicating when you shift gears in Pole Position, it's pretty ugly try it.  One of the Mamedevs made a patch so that it uses artwork instead(Similar to Spy Hunter) of the ickish Mame text, unfortunately his artistic experience is with Paint. 

Anyone here want to give it a go?  See these posts for some background.

Mame.Net Forums

and

MameWorld Forums

If you need help submitting it to a mamedev let me know and I'll pass it to them for you.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2005, 10:07:17 am by Peale »

captainpotato

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 11, 2016, 06:10:59 am
  • I'm a tapir!
    • Tapir Design
Re: MAME needs Artist for PolePosition
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2005, 07:08:41 am »
That's about within my artistic capabilities, so I'll give it a go. Rather than going for the clunky gearstick indicator that the link shows, I'll try to be more faithful to the original :)

If I were to be successful, I'd have to (finally) finish my spinner ;)

captainpotato

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a tapir!
    • Tapir Design
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2005, 08:39:00 am »
Okay, here's a quick and nasty effort. What do you think? If there's approval, I'll do low gear as well ;) It's more of a test idea at this point.

As I'm having some issues with the official board, I haven't been able to check to see whether the number of colours in this image is supported, but we'll see...

Minwah

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2019, 05:03:20 am
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2005, 10:03:56 am »
I'd missed these threads before I made a few comments here: Mame.Net Forums

...but if using artwork is the way it must be, then I quite like what you've done so far captainpotato.  I think you should remove the photo of the gearstick tho, and leave the H/L graphic (I really like that, looks as though you got the idea from the control panel image).  The gearstick picture doesn't fit in with the PolePos graphics, IMO.

<rant>
I wonder why the devs insist on making PolePos a special case?  Other driving games don't have a hi/lo indicator, and if they just used the code for the original shifter it wouldn't be an issue.
</rant>
« Last Edit: February 23, 2005, 10:07:45 am by Peale »

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2005, 11:06:55 am »
captainpotato,
I agree with Minwah on getting rid of the shifter.  Ideally I would say to place this in the section of the screen with the bezel instead of onscreen.  I may be able to help you with that or if you need other help on positioning aspects of mame's artwork.  Looks good.  :)

Minwah,
You know I agree with you, didn't feel like getting in an argument about it with the Mamedevs.  How many artist visit the compiling board?  That's why I posted it hear, many good artists and they can now contribute if they want. Another good thing about it being artwork is its up to the user to choose if they want it or not by disabling that layer of artwork or not having that piece.  The way captainpotato is going I may have to enable polepositions bezel.

Minwah

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 18, 2019, 05:03:20 am
    • MAMEWAH
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2005, 02:03:03 pm »
You know I agree with you, didn't feel like getting in an argument about it with the Mamedevs.  How many artist visit the compiling board?  That's why I posted it hear, many good artists and they can now contribute if they want. Another good thing about it being artwork is its up to the user to choose if they want it or not by disabling that layer of artwork or not having that piece.  The way captainpotato is going I may have to enable polepositions bezel.

Sure, not that I am an artist, but I never check the compiling board - good spot!  I agree, artwork is good in the way it can be disabled.  I just find it frustrating that there is zero standardisation...why do they insist on doing these things to PolePos?!

Anyway, thanks and good luck with working on this, hopefully it'll be all sorted when I come back from Oz!  ;D

Chris

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2019, 04:59:49 pm
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2005, 02:28:51 pm »
I don't understand... I thought the hi/lo indicator was always in the bottom right corner...
--Chris
DOSCab/WinCab Jukebox: http://www.dwjukebox.com

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2005, 02:33:15 pm »
I believe in version around .78 they switched it.  You know when you press Tab and that menu comes up.  Well if you imagine that box and that font but just big enough to say Hi or Lo in the center of the screen that's what it changed to in versions above .78.

Chris

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 21, 2019, 04:59:49 pm
    • Chris's MAME Cabinet
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2005, 02:36:00 pm »
Ew.  (Has it really been that long since I played Pole Position?)

I don't see what was wrong with it in the corner, but it does seem like artwork is a better way to handle this since it can be disabled or easily modified.

--Chris
DOSCab/WinCab Jukebox: http://www.dwjukebox.com

captainpotato

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a tapir!
    • Tapir Design
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2005, 10:08:11 pm »
I'd missed these threads before I made a few comments here: Mame.Net Forums

...but if using artwork is the way it must be, then I quite like what you've done so far captainpotato.  I think you should remove the photo of the gearstick tho, and leave the H/L graphic (I really like that, looks as though you got the idea from the control panel image).  The gearstick picture doesn't fit in with the PolePos graphics, IMO.

I agree completely - it doesn't fit. The bit to the right was my first idea, but when I saw the images of the entire CP, I thought I'd try this instead :)

I'll try my original idea tonight as well.

captainpotato

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a tapir!
    • Tapir Design
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2005, 10:10:08 pm »
captainpotato,
I agree with Minwah on getting rid of the shifter.  Ideally I would say to place this in the section of the screen with the bezel instead of onscreen.  I may be able to help you with that or if you need other help on positioning aspects of mame's artwork.  Looks good.  :)

I'll take you up on your offer, I suspect.

On the one hand, I agree about using the bezel instead, but how many people used it - I know I don't. Perhaps it should be a configurable option instead, or an auto-detect for the bezel, if that's possible?

captainpotato

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a tapir!
    • Tapir Design
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2005, 10:12:44 pm »
Sure, not that I am an artist, but I never check the compiling board - good spot!  I agree, artwork is good in the way it can be disabled.  I just find it frustrating that there is zero standardisation...why do they insist on doing these things to PolePos?!

Anyway, thanks and good luck with working on this, hopefully it'll be all sorted when I come back from Oz!  ;D

I'm not an artist either, but I figure that if it's going to be done regardless, then it ought to be done in a manner that fits in with the original as much as possible - that being, using original imagery to make it work. At least at 256x224 screenmodes, my lack of artistic skill can be hidden by the lack of pixels ;)

• Offline Offline
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2005, 09:48:23 am »
captainpotato,

I'll take you up on your offer, I suspect.

On the one hand, I agree about using the bezel instead, but how many people used it - I know I don't. Perhaps it should be a configurable option instead, or an auto-detect for the bezel, if that's possible?

Once your done with the graphics, we can position the graphic anywhere on the screen including overtop of the bezel.  As long as it is a seperate file and not merged into the bezel png then it's all configurable by the artwork file, it's just the artwork file can be confusing that's why I offered to help with that.  Good work!

captainpotato

• Offline Offline
  • I'm a tapir!
    • Tapir Design
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2005, 08:49:49 am »
Once your done with the graphics, we can position the graphic anywhere on the screen including overtop of the bezel.  As long as it is a seperate file and not merged into the bezel png then it's all configurable by the artwork file, it's just the artwork file can be confusing that's why I offered to help with that.  Good work!

Okay - will do. I haven't got a copy of the bezel anyway. It may be a day or two as I have to help friends move house this weekend, but if my body isn't too broken, I'll try to get to it in the evening :P

Thenasty

• Trade Count: (+17)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 11:26:08 pm
    • Thenasty's Arcademania Horizontal/Vertical monitor setup.
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2005, 09:44:56 am »
I like where this is going. I always jump in everytime PP is the topic. I'll settle for the old (bttom right) instead of the new (middle of the screen) but if artwork is in the works, that will be the way to do it. Later on, how easy/hard is it to do it with other driving games ?
Thenasty's Arcademania Horizontal/Vertical setup.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=26696.0

Free VGA Breakout Cable
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=38228.0

Ultimate All in One Coin Mech write up (Make your own)
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=19200.0

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2005, 11:36:53 am »
captainpotato
Take your time, no rush.

Thenasty:
Easy/Hard is dependent on the user.  If you are familar with the mame source code, it would be relatively easy although maybe a bit time consuming for you to add it into the source code.

If you are expecting it to happen in official Mame, I highly doubt it will happen.  From my quick look, this seems to be one of the only drivers in all of the source code that they are doing something like this and seems like they are doing it for this one game  on purpose.  This also seems to be our only way of getting them to change it in official Mame.  Luckily, captainpotato has stepped up to the plate.