Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Chad's gameroom project - Drywall hanging / subfloor complete + new pics  (Read 37300 times)

TopJimmyCooks

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 01:18:39 pm
Re: Chad's gameroom project - Lights are in! Tons of pics
« Reply #80 on: February 13, 2013, 07:40:13 pm »
ground pin up is very popular in the midwest and canada and it makes sense to me.  Heard a rumor it's code in Canada - unconfirmed. 

Not popular around here. 

lilshawn

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 01:17:00 pm
  • I break stuff...then fix it...sometimes
« Reply #81 on: February 13, 2013, 08:10:52 pm »
people tend to like to have the ground at the bottom "face orientation"  cause it looks like a face. :P

i personally don't care either way.

NEMA mentions nothing about orientation....so no help there.

i would just go with however the rest of the house is oriented.

Nephasth

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #82 on: February 13, 2013, 08:54:25 pm »
I prefer face orientation...

« Last Edit: February 15, 2013, 12:33:00 pm by HaRuMaN »

eds1275

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 12, 2024, 06:06:11 pm
  • Rock and Roll!
« Reply #83 on: February 14, 2013, 01:08:33 pm »
ground pin up is very popular in the midwest and canada and it makes sense to me.  Heard a rumor it's code in Canada - unconfirmed. 

Not popular around here.

It's not. I live in canada (pacific northwest), and we plug our stuff into little faces here.

Nephasth

« Reply #84 on: February 14, 2013, 07:58:48 pm »
Hey, who's deleting my posts?

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
« Reply #85 on: February 15, 2013, 08:28:06 am »
Don't worry, I saw it and laughed, that's all that matters.

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #86 on: February 15, 2013, 10:01:04 am »

I requested the mods remove that image.  I'd prefer the project thread stay PG.

Nephasth

« Reply #87 on: February 15, 2013, 12:30:03 pm »
WTF? PBJ could delete his own posts without a trace (save the rare quote), mods can delete my posts without a headsup or trace, but all I can do is reduce my own posts to a period and a timestamp. Oh the oppression...

At least leave something behind. Could have just removed the pic and left the text, that was "PG".

Treated like a ---Bad words, bad words, whatcha gonna do? Whatcha gonna do when saint censors you?--- spambot around around here. Jesus.

/rant

TJC -  :cheers:  I still laugh when I think about it. :lol

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #88 on: February 15, 2013, 01:42:07 pm »

That's what admins call "refining the process", I suppose.   :cheers:

Nephasth

« Reply #89 on: February 15, 2013, 01:53:29 pm »
As they say, "the squeaky wheel gets the grease."

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #90 on: February 15, 2013, 02:37:30 pm »
As they say, "the squeaky wheel gets REPLACED."

FTFY

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2024, 04:55:07 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #91 on: February 15, 2013, 06:09:45 pm »
Le Chuck loves Chad!
« Last Edit: February 21, 2013, 02:14:48 pm by HaRuMaN »

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #92 on: February 15, 2013, 08:40:09 pm »
You love Olivia Dukakis.

Le Chuck

• Saint, make a poll!
  • Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2024, 04:55:07 pm
  • <insert personal text here>
« Reply #93 on: February 15, 2013, 09:21:22 pm »

WaRpEd

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 03, 2022, 12:00:41 pm
  • The older I get the better it was!!
    • Warped products
« Reply #94 on: February 21, 2013, 01:37:55 pm »
Any progress Chad and did your inspection pass?
There are three kinds of people in the world those that can count and those that can't.

Gray_Area

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 23, 2013, 06:52:30 pm
  • -Banned-
« Reply #95 on: February 21, 2013, 02:08:12 pm »
Chadly must have family members viewing the thread.
-Banned-

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #96 on: February 25, 2013, 09:22:36 am »

Sorry, folks, been super busy with work and family lately.  No substantial progress to report.  I did clean up the room last night, though, and open up all the receptacles to prepare for the Inspector.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #97 on: March 04, 2013, 09:32:36 am »

Been a little while since an update so this is where I am.

I went to town hall a few days ago during the Building Inspector's office hours to ask him the procedure for scheduling a wiring inspection.  He was unhappy that my electrical permit was not connected to a building permit.  I told him I didn't think I needed one because I was not making any layout or structural changes.  It is his opinion that I should have applied for a building permit anyway and let him make that decision.  He was in a bad mood and started rapid firing equations at me about natural sunlight percentages so I figured my best move would be to grab the permit application and leave.  I snapped at him that I get it when he started throwing fresh air equations at me without waiting for an answer so he told me I cannot proceed until he reviews an accurately scaled floor plan.  Oh well.  One more obstacle for my learning curve.

So over the weekend my son and I broke out the tape measure, downloaded Sketchup, and got to work.  This isn't pretty but it's accurate to within 6" or so.  It's the raw floor plan for my basement as it currently stands (minus all the stuff stored there).  I know I left the guide marks and axes in the image.  We finished up at like 9pm last night and just wanted to go to bed.

Next step:  Make time to get over to the building inspector's office during his limited office hours.

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
Re: Chad's gameroom project - oops, need a floor plan
« Reply #98 on: March 04, 2013, 12:01:02 pm »
Be conciliatory.  He's obviously overworked, underpaid and power tripping on the little bit of juice he has.  Call the secretary for the permit office and make sure you have the full requirements for plan submissions and meet them.  I.e. sometimes they will not accept plans on 8 1/2x11 paper, 11x17 at a minimum, etc, permit app signed in blue ink, zoning permit pre approved, etc.

Generally once you come hat in hand and let them know he's the Daddy they suddenly become very helpful.  Then they start thinking they really don't want to F with your fresh air calcs and daylighting percentages (both bogus ---That which is odiferous and causeth plants to grow--- on an existing basement anyway) and they just come out and sign off on what you're asking for. 

Kiss a little ass and you'll get there.  Played a Fathom this weekend, cool game.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #99 on: March 04, 2013, 12:13:58 pm »

Yep, that's pretty much the plan.  It wasn't all that bad so if I go in with this plan and listen to his input I should be okay.  I need to ask him in person about the permit cost anyway.  It's $12/$1000 of project cost but I don't know what project cost means with a total DIY.

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
« Reply #100 on: March 04, 2013, 12:19:19 pm »
make a barely plausible low estimate of the cost, not including electrical cost.  building permit cost should be for the building, trade work is covered by the trade permit cost (electrical permit in this case).  GC's forget and leave a few costs off their permit estimate from time to time.   winkwinknudgenudge saynomore!

you should not be paying more than $50 for this type of permit. 

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #101 on: March 04, 2013, 12:34:02 pm »

Gotcha.  So I'm looking at the cost of the materials and I'll let him tell me if labor has any cost.  Realistically I'm around $2000 in building materials by the time I'm done.

Rough estimates from memory:

Drilok paint:  $125
Rigid insulation sheets:  $125
Lumber:  $150
Dricore flooring:  $700

Then there will be the drywall costs that I have not had yet.  So let's add another $300 for that.  Would carpet and finish paint count here?

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
« Reply #102 on: March 04, 2013, 12:36:25 pm »
you're on track.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #103 on: March 04, 2013, 01:20:28 pm »
what a goofball. he's just chucking stuff at you to overwhelm you so you'll cave and dump all sorts of extra money.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #104 on: March 04, 2013, 04:32:46 pm »

It has been a recurrent theme at every step.  There is an attitude here that nobody should be doing their own work.  We should all be hiring people do do the work.  If you do your own electrical you'll die, if you do your own drywall it'll rot, if you do your own paint it'll spill on the baby.  Nobody wants anyone here to do their own work.

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 09, 2024, 03:07:41 pm
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #105 on: March 04, 2013, 04:43:18 pm »
+1.  This generation of "consumers" is killing the DIY ethos.  I have friends who won't even mow their own lawns.  Hell, my neighbor called me over there a couple weeks ago to replace his air filter on the old Honda.  I mean, WTF?

AJ

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #106 on: March 04, 2013, 05:51:58 pm »
+1.  This generation of "consumers" is killing the DIY ethos.  I have friends who won't even mow their own lawns.  Hell, my neighbor called me over there a couple weeks ago to replace his air filter on the old Honda.  I mean, WTF?

AJ

my wife drives school bus, she heard a call over the radio a while back that someone was at the refueling station but couldn't fuel up the bus and she needed help. after a few exchanges over the radio someone asked her if she put gas in her own car.... nope.

wut?!

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #107 on: March 05, 2013, 09:14:20 am »

Yesterday I took TopJimmyCook's advice and went back to the Building Inspector's office and apologized.  It took him a minute to even remember me and said he hadn't thought much of it because most people hate dealing with him.  He was so impressed with the apology, however, that he became super helpful.

He took a look at the plan and said that's more detail than he needed but it doesn't hurt.  Egress is covered via the bulkhead and stairs into the house.  He told me that I can go one of two ways with the permit.

1)  Habitable space.  This would count towards the square footage of the house and be considered a good usable family room.  I would have to install either a new window or an air exchanger for this.  He explained the math behind the fresh air requirements but IIRC it comes down to replacing a third of the air every hour for health reasons.  I honestly don't know how a closed window would accomplish this but that's the code.

2)  Finished storage space.  This would not count towards the square footage of the house.  Building material requirements are the same but there are no fresh air requirements.  He doesn't need to know how we intend to use finished storage space other than that it's not a bedroom.

I am going to do some research on air exchangers.  My house is currently ~1100sqft officially.  If I can add another ~275sqft now for an extra thousand I think that's a no brainer.  That also gives us the option of converting the rest of the basement into habitable space later on.

I do have one problem, though.  As he was drawing out diagrams for how to cover up the foundation walls properly I noted that I have everything right but one part.  I don't have a firestop at the top plate.  He mentioned possibilities of 1/2" drywall, 3/4" plywood, or 2x8 lumber.  Can't say I understand how a 2x8 is a firestop.  That's going to be a bit painful to correct but I want this done right.

Paul Olson

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 22, 2024, 08:27:20 pm
    • Paul's Arcade
« Reply #108 on: March 05, 2013, 09:43:53 am »

AJ

Last year, I hired a neighbor to mow my lawn for $15/week. I will never mow a lawn again. For that price, it is well worth it to me.

I did DIY stuff most of my life. Now that I am in my 40s, I just prefer to pay to have the work done. Time and just not doing construction work is becoming more important with every passing year.

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #109 on: March 05, 2013, 10:18:44 am »
That's called age (ya old fart)...you've put in your dues.  Just being here says that you don't mind putting a tool in your hand, creating a plan and executing it.  Buddies of mine have tool kits that consist of a hammer, one screw driver (usually the wrong one), no wrenches and a speed dial with my number on it.  It's very sad IMHO.

My 6 yr old has a work bench and is amassing tools.  This spring we'll be making some bolt boards and teaching him how to use some basic tools.

AJ

AJ

Last year, I hired a neighbor to mow my lawn for $15/week. I will never mow a lawn again. For that price, it is well worth it to me.

I did DIY stuff most of my life. Now that I am in my 40s, I just prefer to pay to have the work done. Time and just not doing construction work is becoming more important with every passing year.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #110 on: March 05, 2013, 10:28:18 am »

That's fine.  I don't mind what people do for themselves.  What I'm sick of is people trying to prevent me from doing my own work.  Stuff like this is as much learning process for me as it is building process.  Yeah, I'm making mistakes and having to spend extra time fixing them, but that's a whole lot better than sitting in front of a TV all day beer in hand.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #111 on: March 05, 2013, 10:58:09 am »

Huh.  I've been reading up on the purpose of the firestop and I think I might have a solution.  I'm going to ask the building inspector if it's okay for me to put the firestop below the top plate.  Yeah, that's not the logical way, but logical would have been including that before attaching the top plate to the joists.  If the purpose is really just to slow down the transfer rate of the fire, and a 2x8 extended out to the sill is sufficient to make that happen, then logically putting that fire block a couple of inches lower accomplishes the same thing.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #112 on: March 05, 2013, 11:34:07 am »
My 6 yr old has a work bench and is amassing tools.  This spring we'll be making some bolt boards and teaching him how to use some basic tools.

This is the begining stages of being usurped. Watch your back he might try to take you out.  :lol

mcseforsale

• Offline Offline
  • Creepy Mario Dude
« Reply #113 on: March 05, 2013, 11:41:12 am »
Yes.  Saws will come much later!  ;D

AJ

This is the begining stages of being usurped. Watch your back he might try to take you out.  :lol

TopJimmyCooks

• Offline Offline
« Reply #114 on: March 05, 2013, 11:48:13 am »
chad, your idea should work.  the purpose of the firestop is to prevent smoke/flame from getting into joist spaces or the floor above, so the exact elevation doesn't matter.  Blocking between the joists over the top plate should work as well if you can get them tight to the subfloor above. 

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #115 on: March 05, 2013, 12:17:38 pm »
chad, your idea should work.  the purpose of the firestop is to prevent smoke/flame from getting into joist spaces or the floor above, so the exact elevation doesn't matter.  Blocking between the joists over the top plate should work as well if you can get them tight to the subfloor above.

I'll have a closer look tonight.  I might be able to get them tight to the subfloor.  This only has to block off above/behind the vertical drywall, yes? 

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #116 on: March 05, 2013, 05:11:54 pm »

Just found this air exchanger.  I wouldn't mind putting that in place of one of the windows.

lilshawn

• Offline Offline
« Reply #117 on: March 05, 2013, 05:35:33 pm »
you'd think you'd have to duct all the way across to the other side to get good ventilation.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #118 on: March 05, 2013, 08:36:38 pm »

Would you?  It's entirely open floor space.  The diagram in that pic shows it creating a flow around the whole space.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #119 on: March 06, 2013, 09:26:37 am »

After looking at this a bit more last night I think my best option might be to put 3/4" plywood firestop under the top plate.  I can mount it so it's butted up against the foundation.  I will need to trim down the rigid insulation a couple of inches but that's easy enough to do.  It will take a little fire caulk to seal any gaps (nothing is perfectly square being 55 year old foundation behind new stick framing) but I think that's the best way to do it given how many spaces there are here.

I'm going to make time to talk to the building inspector and get approval on that.