Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Current U.S.A. CRT Arcade Monitor Availability  (Read 40510 times)

MPH

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 02, 2011, 09:02:33 am
Re: Current U.S.A. CRT Arcade Monitor Availability
« Reply #80 on: March 06, 2011, 09:59:58 am »
the digital hi-resolution Makvision

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it's not exactly digital; i.e., it's not a multi-sync so there's no analog/digital relevance. The issue with analog and digital has to do with the ability of multi-sync monitors to "remember" settings you have programmed into them for each hardware-supported resolution of the monitor. So, if you switch between say CGA and VGA on a digital multi-sync, it will recall your preferences for the vertical and horizontal settings for screen size and location (centering). On an analog monitor, this is done with pots (potentiometers). The analog monitors need to be adjusted every time you change the monitor's display resolution, which is of course a big drawback for MAME.

This is why I'm leaning toward the SVGA model. Although it sacrifices some compatibility with lower res games, I am willing to live with using software or hardware (e.g. ArcadeVGA) to effectively double the image resolution and output it at a level the monitor can cope with. It's not ideal, but given the fact there seem to be no more tri-sync or better digital monitors anymore, this seems like the best alternative atm for my needs (MAME).

MonMotha

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2018, 05:45:54 pm
« Reply #81 on: March 06, 2011, 10:03:16 am »
Is it a correct way of thinking, that I could play a wider range of games with the digital hi-resolution Makvision since I could play the higher resolution games at native resolution and use something like the arcade vga card to play the lower resolution games with a realistic look and feel?

My understanding is that - regardless of whether or not you are using ArcadeVGA - there is a hardware limitation with every monitor regarding its lowest/highest possible resolution. I believe the point Andy was making is that ArcadeVGA offers a simple solution to output simulated lower resolutions (i.e. modified to fit the monitor's capabilities, such as doubling the output resolution) that does not rely upon tweaking software to accomplish the same thing. Either way you need to do the same thing with that SVGA monitor (scale up very low res) or the tri-sync (scale down very high res). You cannot change the limitations / capabilities of the monitor itself.

This is correct.  There's a minimum and maximum to what the monitor can do no matter what.  If you want to display something that's normally outside the monitor's capabilities, you have various options at your disposal to "make it fit".

The option Andy is referring to (having the video card do a 2:1 vertical scale) is historically referred to as "double scan".  Most video cards do support it, but it's so rarely used these days that there's often no way presented to the user to turn it on!  On Linux, you can just add "doublescan" to a Modeline in xorg.conf.  In Windows...good luck.  Soft15kHz may allow it via its "custom modeline" interface, and some video card drivers may have it buried under about 15 "Advanced" buttons.  The ArcadeVGA is probably the simplest way if it does indeed ship with these capabilities readily accessible.

In general, things that are scaled up look better than things that are scaled down.  Scaling down loses information, so things get blurry.  Scaling up presents you with the problem of trying to create information that doesn't exist, but at least you don't lose anything.  Exact 2:1 (or 3:1, 4:1, etc.) scales (with no interpolation) work nicely on blocky graphics like classic arcade graphics since it will preserve the blocky nature.

This means that if you're on the fence and really do want to mess with both old stuff and new, high-resolution stuff, and you've got your heart set on one of those two Makvision CRTs, you should probably go with the high res (VGA/SVGA/XGA) one.  Standard res and medium res can both just be scaled up 2:1 - 240 line standard res becomes 480 line VGA and 384 line medium res becomes 768 line XGA - and you don't have to worry about high-resolution content looking blurry or flickery from being downscaled/interlaced.  All you'll sacrifice are "proper" scanline effects on the low res stuff (which some people are very particular about while others don't really care).  You can also run Windows on them with no hackery at all.  It'll "just work".

DNA Dan

• Guys.. we're not talking gold bars here
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 02, 2017, 11:39:00 am
« Reply #82 on: March 06, 2011, 10:11:36 am »
MPH, since you're looking at a cocktail tab (mostly vertical scrolling I assume) WG lists a 22" LCD that looks interesting. http://www.wellsgardner.com/pdf/Spec/LCD_22in_Standard_Specs.pdf It's 16:10 so not as bad as 16:9 for side scrolling games. I don't see it listed on their site for sale but I did see it here: http://patriotgaming.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=10_655_969 and it's about the same price as a 19" Makvision LCD. Contrast ratio is nice at 1000:1 but alas is doesn't dig down as low as 15khz horizontal. Just another option out there you might not have seen.

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #83 on: March 06, 2011, 10:24:45 am »
How much life can one expect from one of these CRTs? I mean aren't these better turned on and warmed up, then run for hours at a time? Will gaming a few hours every other day or so and seeing more turn-on/turn-offs decrease their useful lifespan?

Jack Burton

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 26, 2023, 11:32:31 pm
« Reply #84 on: March 06, 2011, 02:56:18 pm »
So I wrote a lengthy post about my experience with video monitors, but I have probably decided it's too far off topic for this thread.

I'm willing to research and put together a list of US Video monitor vendors if enough guys are interested.

For those in the dark, I'm talking about one of these or one of many models like it:

NEC XM 29

15-50 khz800x600 seems the practical limit.
40-100 hz
29 inch display
digital onscreen controls
remembers resolutions (?)I know some of these types of monitors do.

These make great monitors for both emulation and real pcbs.  The only downside is they are much more complex electronically and thus more difficult to repair and troubleshoot, and they are near impossible to decase and place in a cab.  People HAVE built cabs around them though.  
« Last Edit: March 06, 2011, 02:59:15 pm by Jack Burton »

Brian B

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 28, 2015, 07:32:02 pm
« Reply #85 on: March 07, 2011, 12:37:26 am »
This means that if you're on the fence and really do want to mess with both old stuff and new, high-resolution stuff, and you've got your heart set on one of those two Makvision CRTs, you should probably go with the high res (VGA/SVGA/XGA) one.  Standard res and medium res can both just be scaled up 2:1 - 240 line standard res becomes 480 line VGA and 384 line medium res becomes 768 line XGA - and you don't have to worry about high-resolution content looking blurry or flickery from being downscaled/interlaced.  All you'll sacrifice are "proper" scanline effects on the low res stuff (which some people are very particular about while others don't really care).  You can also run Windows on them with no hackery at all.  It'll "just work".

Back in post #45 I asked what the games are that are higher than 640x480? 

Why won't the windows desktop run at 640x480 (assuming that you are just using it for setting up MAME)?

The big question is how "off" will the tri-sync be when displaying different resolutions?

B.

Brian B

• Offline Offline
« Reply #86 on: March 07, 2011, 12:40:05 am »
Looks pretty good to me...do share!

B.

So I wrote a lengthy post about my experience with video monitors, but I have probably decided it's too far off topic for this thread.

I'm willing to research and put together a list of US Video monitor vendors if enough guys are interested.

For those in the dark, I'm talking about one of these or one of many models like it:

NEC XM 29

15-50 khz800x600 seems the practical limit.
40-100 hz
29 inch display
digital onscreen controls
remembers resolutions (?)I know some of these types of monitors do.

These make great monitors for both emulation and real pcbs.  The only downside is they are much more complex electronically and thus more difficult to repair and troubleshoot, and they are near impossible to decase and place in a cab.  People HAVE built cabs around them though.  

MPH

• Offline Offline
« Reply #87 on: March 07, 2011, 07:26:33 am »
MPH, since you're looking at a cocktail tab (mostly vertical scrolling I assume) WG lists a 22" LCD that looks interesting. http://www.wellsgardner.com/pdf/Spec/LCD_22in_Standard_Specs.pdf It's 16:10 so not as bad as 16:9 for side scrolling games. I don't see it listed on their site for sale but I did see it here: http://patriotgaming.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=10_655_969 and it's about the same price as a 19" Makvision LCD. Contrast ratio is nice at 1000:1 but alas is doesn't dig down as low as 15khz horizontal. Just another option out there you might not have seen.

Thanks very much. That 22" is appealing. It reminds me of a Toshiba LCD TV that I was also considering (which is 16:10), but that WG is cheaper and probably more useful.

MPH

• Offline Offline
« Reply #88 on: March 07, 2011, 07:34:16 am »
This means that if you're on the fence and really do want to mess with both old stuff and new, high-resolution stuff, and you've got your heart set on one of those two Makvision CRTs, you should probably go with the high res (VGA/SVGA/XGA) one.  Standard res and medium res can both just be scaled up 2:1 - 240 line standard res becomes 480 line VGA and 384 line medium res becomes 768 line XGA - and you don't have to worry about high-resolution content looking blurry or flickery from being downscaled/interlaced.  All you'll sacrifice are "proper" scanline effects on the low res stuff (which some people are very particular about while others don't really care).  You can also run Windows on them with no hackery at all.  It'll "just work".

I don't have a list, but I believe many of the more "modern" games do run at higher than that (e.g. SVGA, XGA). If you are only playing old-school games (e.g. 80's, 90's) then I would bet you won't care about anything above 640x480. The only exception is that - depending on other qualities of the monitor - the games may 'look' better to you on some monitors that have higher capabilities. But that is very subjective and depends on things like whether or not you want to repro the original effect of blocky pixelation, if you don't mind games being scaled at odd figures (e.g. 1.5 to 1 ratio), the dot pitch of the monitor's pixels, etc. I don't fully understand all the details. I believe it's quite a debate in and of itself. Point is there's the issue of reproducing what was actually used for a game when it was in production and then there's the option to go different routes with different resolutions/appearances and that is where things get subjective and very technical. If you just want to play the games at their original/true resolution, then it boils down to will you be playing anything made after the 1990's? If not then I don't believe you'll need a monitor with anything > than 640x480 (but I could be wrong... someone else please chime in and confirm or refute my statement)!!!  :)

Why won't the windows desktop run at 640x480 (assuming that you are just using it for setting up MAME)?

You can run Windows in 640x480. I have a cab doing this now. The downside is with some programs you cannot view all of the forms and screen, so sometimes (e.g. with some software installs) you have to guess a bit. But it runs MAME and other programs just fine.

The big question is how "off" will the tri-sync be when displaying different resolutions?

See above reply 35 and 36.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 07:37:23 am by MPH »

ahofle

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2023, 05:10:22 pm
    • Arcade Ambience Project
Re: Sacrifices, sacrifices...
« Reply #89 on: March 07, 2011, 10:22:24 am »
Not to hijack the thread, but the more I think about this, the more appealing the LCD model is becoming.

http://suzohapp.com/monitors/49277330.htm

Yeah, I have to agree with you. I am seriously thinking about this for a cocktail MAME build which is still in the planning stages.

Why not use a normal 19" CGA arcade monitor?
Here's a review of an 8liners monitor I posted a few months back.  They are $150.
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=107760.0

Truecade

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 05, 2024, 07:00:29 pm
« Reply #90 on: March 07, 2011, 11:33:54 am »
It's interesting that Jack posted about the XM29.  I just spent the weekend driving 800 miles to pick up two XM29 monitors for future arcade projects.   ;D  The seller let them go for $100 each and they are both in really good condition.  I tested them last night and the convergence/geometry/color is still really good. 

I built a cabinet around a XM29 a couple years ago and with Soft 15Khz it is a phenomenal monitor.  If you even have the opportunity to grab one, don't hesitate. 

MPH

• Offline Offline
« Reply #91 on: March 07, 2011, 01:52:17 pm »

Just that it's CGA. I plan to put a VGA in to support a wider variety of games.

ahofle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #92 on: March 07, 2011, 02:21:01 pm »

You can run 640x480 on a CGA monitor, it will just be interlaced.  I can't think of a single emulatable arcade game or console with a resolution above 640x480.

Jack Burton

• Offline Offline
« Reply #93 on: March 07, 2011, 03:17:39 pm »

B.

Games off the top of my head that people would be interested in:

Street Fighter IV
Tekken 6
Virtua Fighter 5
Do Don Pachi Dai Fukkatsu
King of Fighters XIII
Marvel vs Capcom 3
Blaz Blu
Super Street Fighter II HD Remix

MPH

• Offline Offline
« Reply #94 on: March 07, 2011, 03:46:56 pm »

You can run 640x480 on a CGA monitor, it will just be interlaced.  I can't think of a single emulatable arcade game or console with a resolution above 640x480.

Good point. It's worth considering (especially for a cocktail cab). There are games above 640x480, but none that I would think of playing on a cocktail cab.

Jack Burton

• Offline Offline
« Reply #95 on: March 07, 2011, 03:56:28 pm »
Ok, so I just talked to representative from AV For Sale.  Their website is here:

www.avforsale.com

They are a warehouse for surplus Audio/Visual equipment out of Atlanta, and they used to sell a lot of nice monitors.  

When I talked to the rep he said that they mostly can't sell them anymore and they just end up recycled!

He said they would ask $25 each for a Sony PVM 2530, and would have to look into the NEC XM29's and Mitsubishi equivalents.  I don't expect them to want much more for those.  The shipping would be about $100 on each.  

The AVforsale guys know what they're talking about with this stuff, and they used to post detailed descriptions, and even a photograph of a test pattern of the monitor you were purchasing on ebay.  I would trust them if they say that a monitor is in good condition.  

This is a PVM 2530:

They're 15khz only, and to use them properly you have to construct a VGA to CMPTR port adapter.  It's not a big deal, and several users from this forum and the schmups! forum have done it, but it is something to be aware of before jumping into a purchase.

Don't believe the washed image above.  The image on a working, calibrated PVM is crazy good.  There is not a single arcade monitor ever made that would have as vivid colors as one of these would have new.  
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 04:08:43 pm by Jack Burton »

MPH

• Offline Offline
« Reply #96 on: March 07, 2011, 04:10:28 pm »
They're 15khz only, and to use them properly you have to construct a VGA to CMPTR port adapter.  It's not a big deal, and several users from this forum and the schmups! forum have done it, but it is something to be aware of before jumping into a purchase.

Jack,

Thanks. That is a great idea. However, I can't find any info on BYOAC or elsewhere about a CMPTR port. I searched BYOAC for that term and only came up with your post. Do you have any links to info on how to build the adapter you described?

Brian B

• Offline Offline
« Reply #97 on: March 07, 2011, 04:15:55 pm »
Ok, thanks!  I haven't even heard of most of these...guess I'm showing my age.  The >640x480 is unnessary for me.  I do like the idea of the tri-sync though...my only concern comes back to how "off" it could be and based on MPH's post and answer earlier it sounds like it is "unknown."  I may just have to bite the bullet.

Brian

B.

Games off the top of my head that people would be interested in:

Street Fighter IV
Tekken 6
Virtua Fighter 5
Do Don Pachi Dai Fukkatsu
King of Fighters XIII
Marvel vs Capcom 3
Blaz Blu
Super Street Fighter II HD Remix

Jack Burton

• Offline Offline
« Reply #98 on: March 07, 2011, 04:17:01 pm »
lol, it's pretty obscure. You can find the pinout here:

www.docs.sony.com/release/PVM2030.pdf

I believe it is only a physical adapter, there are no electronics involved.

@Brian B.

The only multisyncs I have owned have been pro monitors like the one's I've been linking.  But when I switched res's on them they would be off by like a 1/2" to 2" on a 33" screen.  Usually the game would be playable. You can combine this with making the overall image a little bit smaller than the screen and everything should work.  

BTW, even with an analog tri-sync it's possible to just come up with a few universal resolutions and adjust them for your monitor.  I did this with advancemame and soft 15khz.  By doing this I was able to center a "native" image on my screen for 90% of games.  However, a lot of the time you have to fiddle about with changing resolutions on your games to get one you like.    Not an option if you're looking for something slick to show to family or friends, or don't like spending 5 minutes to set up whenever you switch games.  

It also kind of looks like this new switchres program could help with that, but I haven't looked into it yet. 
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 05:05:23 pm by Jack Burton »

Brian B

• Offline Offline
« Reply #99 on: March 07, 2011, 05:07:43 pm »
Yeah, spending time each game to adjust is not ideal.  I spoke to the av company you linked to earlier and the guy said they had no CRTs but he would shoot me an email tomorrow.

B.

The only multisyncs I have owned have been pro monitors like the one's I've been linking.  But when I switched res's on them they would be off by like a 1/2" to 2" on a 33" screen.  Usually the game would be playable. You can combine this with making the overall image a little bit smaller than the screen and everything should work.  

BTW, even with an analog tri-sync it's possible to just come up with a few universal resolutions and adjust them for your monitor.  I did this with advancemame and soft 15khz.  By doing this I was able to center a "native" image on my screen for 90% of games.  However, a lot of the time you have to fiddle about with changing resolutions on your games to get one you like.    Not an option if you're looking for something slick to show to family or friends, or don't like spending 5 minutes to set whenever you switch games. 

MPH

• Offline Offline
« Reply #100 on: March 07, 2011, 09:03:27 pm »

Ahofle,

I looked up your review and followed the link to the 8liners site. One problem I see isthere's no technical info on these monitors, which causes me to think this is a generic link/ placeholder for whatever CGA monitors they happen to have. In other words, it looks like pot-luck regarding what you'll get if you order one. The 8liners website is terrible to begin with and this item is no exception.

I am starting to think that a good CGA monitor might be a reasonable option for this cocktail cab, but I'm not going to order one with no model, manufacturer or other info specified in the advert.

bitbytebit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 02, 2019, 11:07:16 am
    • The Groovy Organization
« Reply #101 on: March 08, 2011, 01:26:12 am »

Ahofle,

I looked up your review and followed the link to the 8liners site. One problem I see isthere's no technical info on these monitors, which causes me to think this is a generic link/ placeholder for whatever CGA monitors they happen to have. In other words, it looks like pot-luck regarding what you'll get if you order one. The 8liners website is terrible to begin with and this item is no exception.

I am starting to think that a good CGA monitor might be a reasonable option for this cocktail cab, but I'm not going to order one with no model, manufacturer or other info specified in the advert.
I ordered one of these...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110632831043&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT#ht_500wt_1156

Shipping/packaging sucked and was dirt cheap, I was lucky to get this undamaged, but then again it's a WG 7200 CGA 19" monitor and as cheap or cheaper than the no-name 8liners models.  Just an interesting possibility, but make sure you know that the shipping may be in a particle board box with no padding, that comes open in shipping through the basic USPS parcial post mail (yet somehow survived and didn't get damaged).
SwitchRes / GroovyMame - http://arcade.groovy.org
Modeline Generator and Mame Wrapper for Windows or Linux
LiveCD of Groovy Arcade Linux for Arcade Monitors
GroovyMame - generate arcade resolutions like advancemame
--
The Groovy Organization

ahofle

• Offline Offline
« Reply #102 on: March 08, 2011, 10:26:45 am »
Ahofle,

You could try contacting him if you are looking for some specific brand -- maybe he has some in his stock and would be willing to let you chose.  All I know is his chassis have good components on them (at least the 3 that I've seen). 

Jack Burton

• Offline Offline
« Reply #103 on: March 08, 2011, 12:20:41 pm »
Ok, I got an updated reply from AV For Sale.  They have just gotten a shipment in that has some CRT monitors of the type we're looking for, but it will take them a little time to unload them and test them.  Maybe in a couple weeks or so they will be available. 

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #104 on: March 08, 2011, 12:37:41 pm »
I just want to add that these are used monitors. Those looking for a genuine monitor are going to be concerned about "longenvity" of the monitor. You just have no way of knowing how many hours some of these monitors have seen. Especially anything in surveillance, which was probably run 24 hours a day, every day of the week. Now I am not trying to be negative about the source, It's very much appreciated, I just wanted to throw the warning out there that in 2-5 years you probably won't be able to buy any of these CRTs. What about parts? Eventually we'll all have to probably go widescreen LCD when all the old CRTs are broke and dead, but until then, just remember you're buying used, old tech that may or may not have much life left in it. For the purists, I understand it's the only option, but for others who aren't so bent on native resolutions, you might want to think dumping money into something so uncertain with no warranty. Again, I appreciate the option others have pointed out. Hopefully someone will continue to supply parts or pickup the slack and start making a 4:3 aspect again. Hell even LCDs in 4:3 are becoming rare in the 20" & 21" sizes.

Jack Burton

• Offline Offline
« Reply #105 on: March 08, 2011, 02:42:24 pm »
How much life can one expect from one of these CRTs? I mean aren't these better turned on and warmed up, then run for hours at a time? Will gaming a few hours every other day or so and seeing more turn-on/turn-offs decrease their useful lifespan?

It is better to let them warm up, but I think turning it on a few hours every few days to game will in no way hurt it.  Actually, I'd say you could turn it on for 15 minutes everyday and it probably wouldn't do anything.  Or only turn it on every six months.  

The one thing not to do is turn it off and then immediately back on repeatedly.  

As for the life of a CRT, I can't say.  The build quality on them varies quite a bit, even in the same model line.

I've got a 25" RCA Lyceum TV that's in perfect shape.  My big Mitsu RGB monitor has only a weak blue gun, but it's otherwise excellent.  They're both getting on 20 years old now. I've seen older sets still in working order.  13" tv's and monitors seem like they live forever.  

But then again there were a ton of cheap CRT's put out at the end of the 90s and into the early 2000's that were lucky to last over 2 or 3 years. 

Properly taken care of I could easily see even a cheap arcade monitor lasting for a decade as long as there weren't any problems to begin with.  
« Last Edit: March 08, 2011, 02:49:01 pm by Jack Burton »

DNA Dan

• Offline Offline
« Reply #106 on: March 08, 2011, 03:18:03 pm »

Properly taken care of I could easily see even a cheap arcade monitor lasting for a decade as long as there weren't any problems to begin with.  

The sad truth is that's probably a longer life span that today's LCDs!

Brian B

• Offline Offline
« Reply #107 on: March 11, 2011, 08:39:11 pm »
What would you pay for a 27" Panasonic FT-2700 Pro RGB Monitor?

It has RGBHV inputs but only does 15.75 kHz.

Here is what the ad says:
27" Pro Monitor. Two composite inputs w/outputs; S-video in/out; one RGB w/sync input. Y/C is selectable to any input; 700 lines, PAL, SECAM, NTSC; Blue setup mode & Degauss. All video inputs are BNC(except 'S'). Has an internal audio amp to drive external speakers(not included). Includes remote; no documentation. Good condition, used very little. Original cost $2,580. Buyer must pickup. Will throw in a roll-around tall cart w/storage.

Brian

Jack Burton

• Offline Offline
« Reply #108 on: March 12, 2011, 01:57:01 am »
If I could test it and see it work for a few hours without failure I'd give $100 for it easy. 

Gray_Area

• -Banned-
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 23, 2013, 06:52:30 pm
  • -Banned-
« Reply #109 on: March 12, 2011, 04:51:48 pm »
If I could test it and see it work for a few hours without failure I'd give $100 for it easy.  

Yeah. Don't be fooled. Outside of this hobby, CRTs are junk. People asking for several hundreds.....let alone thousands....of dollars are stuck on this fact.

That said, those who can't afford at least two or three hundred dollars on a great condition/NIB multisync need to re-think their needs.

The NEC XM/XP series are digital. The XM will do 1024x768. I think the XP will go up to 90khz (!) .

AVforsale in the past have been pretty good people. You might still also be able to find them on ebay.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 05:08:20 pm by Gray_Area »
-Banned-

Brian B

• Offline Offline
« Reply #110 on: March 12, 2011, 07:34:54 pm »
I don't think $200-300 is out of the question, but where are these monitors you are talking about??

No one in this thread so far has been able to link a digital (OSD) 25/27" CRT multisync monitor with ability to display down to 15kHz scan...

Brian

BurgerKingDiamond

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 01, 2021, 11:12:14 am
« Reply #111 on: March 12, 2011, 10:24:09 pm »
Ok, so I just talked to representative from AV For Sale.  Their website is here:

www.avforsale.com

They are a warehouse for surplus Audio/Visual equipment out of Atlanta, and they used to sell a lot of nice monitors.  

When I talked to the rep he said that they mostly can't sell them anymore and they just end up recycled!

He said they would ask $25 each for a Sony PVM 2530, and would have to look into the NEC XM29's and Mitsubishi equivalents.  I don't expect them to want much more for those.  The shipping would be about $100 on each.  

The AVforsale guys know what they're talking about with this stuff, and they used to post detailed descriptions, and even a photograph of a test pattern of the monitor you were purchasing on ebay.  I would trust them if they say that a monitor is in good condition.  

This is a PVM 2530:

Don't believe the washed image above.  The image on a working, calibrated PVM is crazy good.  There is not a single arcade monitor ever made that would have as vivid colors as one of these would have new.  

what size is this? and can you connect arcade PCB's to it?
-Welcome to the Fantasy Zone.

mgb

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 21, 2024, 06:18:13 pm
  • North East, US
« Reply #112 on: March 13, 2011, 05:27:40 pm »
Those look like cctv monitors.
I do cctv work and I would just say be cautious when buying them used because they run 24 hours a day with primarily the same image on the screen so screen burn is very much possible.

Jack Burton

• Offline Offline
« Reply #113 on: March 13, 2011, 10:26:34 pm »
@Burgerkingdiamond

I believe it has a 29" tube with 27" visible.  You CAN connect a pcb to it, but you must construct an adapter. 

Brian B

• Offline Offline
« Reply #114 on: March 15, 2011, 04:17:46 pm »

Well, I picked up the Panasonic--seemed to be working all right.  Now the difficulty will be how to get it into the cabinet (where all there is are brackets on the side for an arcade monitor).

B.

apfelanni

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2019, 01:55:28 pm
« Reply #115 on: March 15, 2011, 04:39:04 pm »
or u try to purchase a european model , since every sony pvm or pgm here has rgb inputs like scart , sub d vga and/or rgb bnc. i like the picture quality of the sonys with 15 k input. i use em for retro console gaming . there isnt much on the market that can beat them . i got some 2130 and a 2730 ( 2530 ) pvm here. theire disadvantage is a missing osd like the necs have , sometimes a poor geometrie and degaussing probs when tated or kicked around . a pgm 2950 / (2750 in us? ) is a highend vga screen used in airport information terminals with a great vga picture. the nec xm are maybe the best all in one crts money can buy . great picture in any resolution , a very nice osd , lots of inputs , nearly immune to magnetic distortions ,rotating or whatever. i own three xm2960 and wont give em away , even if someone offers theire weight in gold pressed latinum . the only annyoing thing on the necs i can think of are the noisy ventilation fans.

the pvm 2730 ( 2530 ) is more likely a 25-26 inch model. the big brothers pvm 2950 and pgm 2950 housing a 29/27 inch tube and a modern osd plus a deluxe remote control.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 04:49:44 pm by apfelanni »

Jack Burton

• Offline Offline
« Reply #116 on: March 15, 2011, 05:35:48 pm »
lol, my XM sounds like an airplane taking off. 

@Brian B., the best way I know of is to build a little shelf inside the cabinet to set the monitor on. The weight of it will keep it still.  You might have to modify the back of the cabinet a little bit, since these monitors are sometimes deeper than arcade monitors. 

dmarcum99

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 21, 2020, 12:02:36 am
« Reply #117 on: March 15, 2011, 08:25:53 pm »
my xm2950 is sitting in a midway cab decased with only 1/2" gap between the back av panel and the rear cab door.  This thing is fricking huge and heavy....

Those sony pvm's are really popular on the shmups sites...$25 at the site jack mentions is too nice a deal to pass on. 

I remember about 6 months ago on a houston craigslist ad a guy had a picture of his pickup filled with xm29's....about a dozen.  He wanted $50 each.  I wanted so bad to grab one, but an 18 hour drive kills the motivation.  When my XM2950 dies it's going to be a very sad day indeed.

tcleary

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 12, 2021, 12:30:19 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #118 on: March 16, 2011, 03:06:59 pm »
question for the monitor experts.  my brother has a billabs BL27CBOPU

I hooked up an xbox 360 to it in the past and set it to 720p and it worked and looked great.   my question is, is that a safe resolution to run the monitor at?  or could it damage it?  if a resolution shows up ok does that mean it's fine or does the monitor allow itself to run at a destructive resolution?

I'm considering buying another monitor to replace that one and using that one in an xbox 360 cabinet, so 720p would be great if I can run it like that.  And I'll toss one of these other monitors in the cab I'm taking the BL27CBOPU out of  for MAME.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 03:09:00 pm by tcleary »

apfelanni

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 18, 2019, 01:55:28 pm
« Reply #119 on: March 16, 2011, 03:56:35 pm »
google says it can handle 48 khz > 1024x768 with 60 hertz ,which is a standard xbox resolution . 720 p games are displayed with a few lines blacked out on top and bottom.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 03:59:44 pm by apfelanni »