Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: One More Mountain's Jukebox Clone  (Read 4554 times)

reko19

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 27, 2024, 12:43:51 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
One More Mountain's Jukebox Clone
« on: July 21, 2009, 08:07:21 pm »
Hi everyone. First and foremost many thanks to Mountain for coming up with an awesome design and to everyone else who answered questions and helped along the way, you guys know who you are. This is my second project, my first was based on Knievel's Neon Mame. I know the juke was covered in great detail so in the few following days I'll just go over things I've done differently. Didn't really need a juke but couldn't resist the cool idea of a touchscreen juke.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2009, 08:08:52 pm by reko19 »

reko19

• Offline Offline
Re: One More Mountain's Jukebox Clone
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2009, 08:56:07 pm »
how do you guys post images so they are part of the post instead of the attachment at the end?

spOOf

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 27, 2010, 04:36:21 pm
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2009, 09:10:03 pm »
Very, very nice.  Do you happen to have an idea of how much it cost to build this?  Just keeping it in the back of my mind for when my MAME machine is done.

Great work!
My project: The Royal Flush

reko19

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2009, 10:01:14 pm »
I am sure I am forgetting some stuff but not including PC which was a "recycle" from my arcade machine and not including MDF boards it was around $500. This includes touch screen, CD-drive, plexi, all hardware, etc.

drventure

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 23, 2024, 06:53:06 pm
  • Laser Death Ray Bargain Bin! Make me an offer!
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2009, 11:27:45 pm »
Very nice. I really like the lines of this design.

Also, to post inline images, the image needs to be stored elsewhere, then you can just insert a link to the image via the little "image" button in the post editor (it looks like a picture frame).

csa3d

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 07, 2011, 08:16:35 am
  • Will game for food
    • Galaxian Mame Conversion
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2009, 05:32:58 am »
how do you guys post images so they are part of the post instead of the attachment at the end?

Upload your image to the 'not a post' thread like you did here.  Then, open that image large from that thread in another browser window.  Copy the URL of that image.  Go back to the thread you want the image to appear in and type:

Code: [Select]
[url]www.pathtoyourimage.com[/url]

-csa

rEd86

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 26, 2009, 03:17:09 pm
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2009, 05:54:23 am »
Very nice.  We look forward to seeing the differences in construction/features.

--Ed

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 03, 2024, 11:25:23 am
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2009, 09:32:19 am »
Wow.  Awesome job.  Do you have any pictures of the back?

reko19

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2009, 08:46:37 pm »
Javeryh,
Below are few pics of the back. It took me three tries to get it right, was getting fairly frustrated.  Ended up doing the way it is shown on the pics.  It is black plexi that rests on the small wooden pieces located around the perimeter, held in place by a regular furniture magnets. Getting the corners just right was tough, upper corner on the right came out less than perfect I just didn't have the strength to redo it for the fourth time. There is a fan mounted up on top behind the metal which could be seen on the pic. Looks pretty good, pictures highlight all imperfections, fingerprints, etc.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 10:29:23 pm by reko19 »

reko19

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2009, 09:01:50 pm »
Speakers:

I was not really happy with the sound of the dell soundbar. I have it at work and, IMHO, sound was not so great. I picked up a pair of these, which sound 10x better:

Two problems, they are too tall and they have opening on top. This is how I handle too tall problem:

After that I sandwiched them bottom to bottom. The speaker with volume, treble, and base controls has additional board at the bottom for phone jack, aux jack, and LED. That board was removed all together. Knobs were pulled off as well. If you look at the bottom of the juke, you'll see that the opening for the speakers is bigger that the ones that used dell soundbar. You'll also see a grommeted opening on the side that are aligned with the openings on top of the speakers.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 10:11:13 pm by reko19 »

reko19

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2009, 10:06:49 pm »
Font Panel:

I looked at how this was done by Mountain and the followers and felt that this is not something I would be able to tackle. I needed an easier way to do it so this is what I came up with. I started with creating a template for the monitor opening and speaker opening:

I then temporarily attached plexi and  cut the opening with the flush bit and then created a 45 degree bevel:

After that I moved to MDF and cut the panel as well as the opening for the monitor:

Here is the picture of the monitor mounted in place. It is held by metal strips that are bolted to the T-nuts. The monitor rests on the opening, as could be seen in the pics. Very easy and straightforward job.

Note that "lips" on top and bottom of the monitor are resting on the MDF, depth of the routed slot determines the distance between the monitor and to be installed plexi:

The final step was attaching the plexi. I did it while the monitor was installed and carefully aligned opening in the plexi to the edges of the monitor.
Here is the pic with the plexi attached, monitor is removed. It will be re-installed later after the front panel is installed in place. Also note the different type of weatherstripping I used. It works great, gives it a finished look and does not affect the touchscreen.

Stay tuned, more to come, any comments are welcomed.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2009, 10:09:41 pm by reko19 »

Martijn

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 25, 2024, 10:34:36 am
  • Akira!
    • ModMyBox
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2009, 05:34:25 am »
great. you took everything from everybody and combined it  :)

i see my drive in slot and buttons and led backlicht for starters  ;D

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 29, 2024, 07:09:08 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2009, 05:52:29 am »
Another home made mountain juke rolls off the assembly line!

Great build reko!
If (and thats a pretty big IF), I ever build another juke using this design, I will take some of your tips.

:applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

reko19

• Offline Offline
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2009, 07:08:22 am »
Thank you guys for the kind words, you were the pioneers

Martijn,
CD slot was a great idea so I included it as well with illuminated stainless steel buttons, one is eject and the other is on/of. I didn't put led strip around the drive itself though.

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 03, 2024, 11:25:23 am
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2009, 01:03:22 pm »
Javeryh,
Below are few pics of the back. It took me three tries to get it right, was getting fairly frustrated.  Ended up doing the way it is shown on the pics.  It is black plexi that rests on the small wooden pieces located around the perimeter, held in place by a regular furniture magnets. Getting the corners just right was tough, upper corner on the right came out less than perfect I just didn't have the strength to redo it for the fourth time. There is a fan mounted up on top behind the metal which could be seen on the pic. Looks pretty good, pictures highlight all imperfections, fingerprints, etc.

Very nice!  I'm on my third attempt at the back panel and it is really all I have left to do.  It has been frustrating.  Yours turned out great and I really like the removable panel.   :cheers:

reko19

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2009, 09:04:52 pm »
Rotating Base:
I debated for a while if I want to spend time on making a rotating base. In my opinion it does not add much to the functionality. It certainly adds to a coolness factor so I decided to go ahead with it. I did not want strong magnets next to hard drive and the monitor so this is what I came up with. Shown on the picture below is the base which is already laminated . Turntable is attached to the top.  On two sides of the turntable there are two roller catchers usually used for cabinet drawers.

On this picture you see a bottom of the main cabinet. As you could see there are slots routed at every 15 degrees in a circle. When the cabinet turns it travels on top of the roller catchers, so every 15 degrees there is a stop. Rollers are spring loaded so they create tension even when they are in-between the slots thus preventing the juke from turning. I really like the feel of a stop every 15 degrees.

The catcher:

One more pic of the base, test fit before the lamination:

mountain

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 26, 2024, 11:42:28 am
    • Mountain Jukeboxes
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2009, 09:15:26 pm »
Very cool! I really like the way you did the rotating base. I originally wanted to use spring loaded ball catches but decided against it due to the short amount of time I had.

Looking forward to more pictures.  :cheers:

rEd86

• Offline Offline
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2009, 09:27:45 pm »
I too like the spring loaded roller catch.  Where did you get them from?  I did a quick search on Rockler's web site and didn't find anything...

--Ed

reko19

• Offline Offline
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2009, 09:36:43 pm »
got them here:

http://www.lock-depot.com/Item/Ives-Catches/Ives-336-Roller-Catches

two is all you need, they really do a good job and there is a nice feel when it "clicks" every 15 degrees

reko19

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2009, 09:51:12 pm »
Volume Control:
As everyone else I used Griffin. I just mounted it differently. I bought shaft extender on ebay and glued stand-offs to the back side of the front panel. Pics are self-explanatory. With this mounting having two leds to illuminate the knob was a piece of cake. And I did not have to mess around with the front panel plexi.

DaOld Man

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 29, 2024, 07:09:08 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2009, 01:55:20 pm »
I love the rotating roller idea. Man, why didnt I think of that??
 ???

rEd86

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2009, 02:10:14 pm »
got them here:

http://www.lock-depot.com/Item/Ives-Catches/Ives-336-Roller-Catches

two is all you need, they really do a good job and there is a nice feel when it "clicks" every 15 degrees

I was going to order a set from there until I got to the checkout and they wanted $10 for S&H.  OUCH!

I found them here on eBay for only $3.99 each and shipping was $4.59 for the pair.

--Ed