Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Poll

Who here would be interested in a 24.8" digital multisync monitor from Nieman?

Yes
38 (88.4%)
No
5 (11.6%)

Total Members Voted: 43

Author Topic: Who here would be interested in a 24.8" digital multisync monitor from Nieman?  (Read 6675 times)

Todd H

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 17, 2024, 12:58:49 pm
  • It's Gameday!
Title says it all.

ahofle

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 30, 2023, 05:10:22 pm
    • Arcade Ambience Project
This would be much better in the main forum IMO, even though it's monitor related.  Not too many mame cab builders venture in here, who would be the primary buyers of a monitor such as this.

Chase

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2020, 10:59:55 am
  • Live from Seattle!
    • Home
I would be more interested in a 27", but I have already pulled the trigger on the 9400. :(

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2022, 12:32:13 pm
  • danny_galaga is my mail man.
    • N.A.M.E. - arcade cabinet project
before a request of being moved is honored, what are the intentions here? To sell the monitor? If you are simply gauging interest in this specific monitor, this is the right place already.

Todd H

• Offline Offline
  • It's Gameday!
before a request of being moved is honored, what are the intentions here? To sell the monitor? If you are simply gauging interest in this specific monitor, this is the right place already.

Just gauging interest. I'm hoping we can convince Rick at Neiman that developing a 25" digital multisync is worth it, especially since the only options left are Wells Gardner and Betson.

NIVO

• Global Moderator
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 08, 2022, 12:32:13 pm
  • danny_galaga is my mail man.
    • N.A.M.E. - arcade cabinet project
moved to main forum as per request.

gatordad

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2024, 10:29:29 pm
  • This is your brain on games.
It is gonna have to be quick as I am almost ready to buy, a d9400.

Chase

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2020, 10:59:55 am
  • Live from Seattle!
    • Home
It is gonna have to be quick as I am almost ready to buy, a d9400.

The D9400's are getting harder to find as they are moving towards the D9800 (Flat CRT).

I was able to get the D9400 last week.

ahofle

• Offline Offline
Thanks NIVO.
For those of you who aren't familiar with Rick and Nieman Displays, they are pretty much hands down considered the quality king around here from those in the know (like Ken Layton) and their customer support is excellent.  I have yet to read a bad review or negative post in fact.  The only problem is they do not currently offer a suitable monitor for the MAME cabinet community (digital multisync).  Hopefully if there is enough interest, Rick would be convinced to take on the project and offer one.  I am fairly certain that if that happened, it would finally put an end to the daily "what is the best display for my MAME cabinet" questions.

Popcorrin

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 06, 2022, 11:11:43 am
Does a 25" plastic monitor bezel such as the one Happ's sells, fit a 24.8" monitor? 

Todd H

• Offline Offline
  • It's Gameday!
Does a 25" plastic monitor bezel such as the one Happ's sells, fit a 24.8" monitor? 

Yep.

Popcorrin

• Offline Offline

Yep.

That's good to hear.  A Happs rep was trying to tell me that you had to buy a $25 adapter to make it work.  I didn't think .2" could make that much of a difference.

Todd H

• Offline Offline
  • It's Gameday!
13 so far. Keep 'em coming. We need to convince Rick that we would love to see a digital multisync from him.

JoeB

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2024, 11:38:08 pm
  • NES Fanatic
Thanks NIVO.
For those of you who aren't familiar with Rick and Nieman Displays, they are pretty much hands down considered the quality king around here from those in the know (like Ken Layton) and their customer support is excellent.  I have yet to read a bad review or negative post in fact.  The only problem is they do not currently offer a suitable monitor for the MAME cabinet community (digital multisync).  Hopefully if there is enough interest, Rick would be convinced to take on the project and offer one.  I am fairly certain that if that happened, it would finally put an end to the daily "what is the best display for my MAME cabinet" questions.

I'll actually disagree with you there.  I believe Rick's 24.8" multi-resolution display is probably the best monitor you can buy for the MAME community.  I wouldn't be surprised if 99% of all MAME ROM's are 15khz games.  The EGA and VGA games (that came about later) are still supported by Rick's monitor (you'll need to fix the size via the remote conrol board if you switch resolutions .. but it can be done!).

Most EGA MAME games work fine in CGA mode as well.

What Rick's monitors miss in digital switch, they more than make up in quality, customer support and longevity (I bet you Rick's monitors will long outlast any Wells Digital Multisync).

Any for those of you that wonder about the strange size (i.e. why it's not 25" but 24.8") you can thank the CRTC for that.  New rule came out that says any 25"+ display must be able to show HDTV signal.  So Best Buy and such stores don't have any 25"+ tubes .. and Rick can only source 24.8" tubes.

ahofle

• Offline Offline
Thanks NIVO.

I'll actually disagree with you there.  I believe Rick's 24.8" multi-resolution display is probably the best monitor you can buy for the MAME community.  I wouldn't be surprised if 99% of all MAME ROM's are 15khz games.  The EGA and VGA games (that came about later) are still supported by Rick's monitor (you'll need to fix the size via the remote conrol board if you switch resolutions .. but it can be done!).

Fair enough.  But the problem is that a HUGE amount of those CGA games are vertical.  So unless you have a rotating setup, you really need digital geometry memory (and 25khz support for a few) to be able to run them horizontally without having to adjust potentiometers every time you exit back to the front end or run a different game. That's my opinion, anyway.  From what I've read in the monitor forum, those using the analog tri-sync in an emulation environment just end up leaving it VGA or CGA all the time, which to me is a waste of the capabilities of the monitor.

What Rick's monitors miss in digital switch, they more than make up in quality, customer support and longevity (I bet you Rick's monitors will long outlast any Wells Digital Multisync).

...which is why we are trying to convince Rick to make a digital multisync. :)

JoeB

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 03, 2024, 11:38:08 pm
  • NES Fanatic
Fail enough..

As far as rotating monitors .. the issue is not if it's digital or analog.. the issue that I see is that it shouldn't be done in the first place!

Rick gave us an interesting demo that shows what happens when a monitor is rotated (while on!).  The purity goes out of whack!  The monitor needed to be degaussed and in many cases, the tube needed to be reconverged!   

Rick was telling us, when he tunes monitors, he makes sure that the tube is facing east/west (to lower the effects of the earth's magnetic pole).  Also, when he builds monitors to south america, he has to physically create magnetic sources around the monitor to emulate the different polarity!

After this demo, I truly believe that monitors were not ment to be rotated in a single cab.  You'd be much more satisfied in terms of color purity, and video quality if you owned 2 cabs (1 horizontal, and 1 vertical).

Popcorrin

• Offline Offline
Just in case it's not already known, there is a 24.8" multisync monitor on the market already from Makvision.  Granted, it's not from Nieman and I have no idea of the quality of Makvision but arcadeshop sells it for $395.

I personally would much rather see a 24.8"  vga/svga monitor.  Even better if it would do xga.  I haven't seen anything like that on the market.

gatordad

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 30, 2024, 10:29:29 pm
  • This is your brain on games.
Just in case it's not already known, there is a 24.8" multisync monitor on the market already from Makvision.  Granted, it's not from Nieman and I have no idea of the quality of Makvision but arcadeshop sells it for $395.

I personally would much rather see a 24.8"  vga/svga monitor.  Even better if it would do xga.  I haven't seen anything like that on the market.

It's not digital

Rick does have a high res multisync monitor  But it will cost you a few pennies.and it does not do cga.

This is relevant
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=81217.0
« Last Edit: October 28, 2008, 04:25:34 pm by gatordad »

Todd H

• Offline Offline
  • It's Gameday!
Rick could OWN the MAME market if he released a digital multisync. Everyone knows about how high the quality of his monitors is. Of course, the real question is just how big of a market is it and how much could he make serving this market. I'm hoping we get more votes to show him that we are serious.

Popcorrin

• Offline Offline

It's not digital

Rick does have a high res multisync monitor  But it will cost you a few pennies.and it does not do cga.

This is relevant
http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=81217.0

For some reason I thought it was digital. 

Does he offer the high res monitor in the 24.8" size?  I don't really need it to do cga.

Numbski

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 03, 2020, 01:51:50 pm
    • Numbski
This is actually the first time I've heard of this - would this support medium res too?
Build a man a fire, keep him warm for the night.
Set a man on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life.

mrclean

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2022, 08:30:36 am
  • World Record Holder for Gun Smoke Dedicated & MAME
    • Guscade
I was very close to buying nieman's 24.8'' because it's the only one that would fit inside my 21.8'' width inside my cab. Just a tad too pricey for me http://www.amusementsplus.com/cgi-bin/hazel.cgi?action=detail&item=NVD4324
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 12:26:04 am by mrclean »
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

Numbski

• Offline Offline
    • Numbski
NICE.  Although I'm confused - it does medium res (800x600) and...VGA.  800x600.  Why define the two like they're different?

ahofle

• Offline Offline
NICE.  Although I'm confused - it does medium res (800x600) and...VGA.  800x600.  Why define the two like they're different?

Medium resolution or EGA is typically 512x384 (and yes the new multisync would support that).  VGA is 640x480.  SVGA is 800x600.

Numbski

• Offline Offline
    • Numbski
Ah, okay.  So it wouldn't do 800x600, but would do 640x480. :)

I'm only a little slow. ;)

ahofle

• Offline Offline
Actually it would be able to do 800x600 interlaced (and even 1024x768 interlaced!).  Those modes are a bit flickery in windows, but look great in games in my experience.

Numbski

• Offline Offline
    • Numbski
My concern was actually getting medium res RGB out off of my dreamcast, but I get your point.  Street Fighter 4, horribly as it might be standard def, will probably get a PC install in my cab, and every little bit of resolution will probably help. ;)

Here's to hoping for Linux support that doesn't suck! :D

moloch

• Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 29, 2022, 06:22:19 pm
  • I'm an ill'llama!
When I go to:
http://niemandisplays.com/

he says that he offers a 24.8" tri res.

So go buy some.....

moloch

• Offline Offline
  • I'm an ill'llama!
I see that it is flat though....

I am guessing that people want it non-flat then.....???

ahofle

• Offline Offline

moloch

• Offline Offline
  • I'm an ill'llama!
When I go to:
http://niemandisplays.com/

he says that he offers a 24.8" tri res.

It's not digital

I thought that was about the Makvision monitor.

One the nieman site it says:
The Tri-mode Line up is available in 24.8" Flat tube, 27" Flat Tube, 39" Flat tube. This is the most versatile replacement monitor in the industry. Use it in most standard, mid or VGA resolution games.

That seems to fit the bill for most of my needs - but I understand that it is not everything.

What does he charge for the 24.8" that he already makes?

ahofle

• Offline Offline
The Makvision is digital, but only SVGA and XGA (no CGA or EGA arcade resolutions which is like 99.99% of games).
Nieman also sells a digital monitor but it's also only VGA to XGA: http://niemandisplays.com/nieman_video_displays_008.htm

The Nieman tri-sync is analog.  Meaning you have to adjust the screen controls when you change resolutions.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2008, 06:35:34 pm by ahofle »

tommyinajar

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 15, 2023, 12:23:20 pm
  • My other cab is a Cube Quest
Anyone HAVE the Makvision - Results  ?

Popcorrin

• Offline Offline
The Makvision is digital, but only SVGA and XGA (no CGA or EGA arcade resolutions which is like 99.99% of games).
Nieman also sells a digital monitor but it's also only SVGA and XGA: http://niemandisplays.com/nieman_video_displays_008.htm

The Nieman tri-sync is analog.  Meaning you have to adjust the screen controls when you change resolutions.

These digital monitors you speak of are 27" aren't they?

Does anyone make a 24.8" that does svga?

Mental

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 18, 2013, 09:46:08 am
    • Complete cocktail arcade system
I'm making plans to buy one in the next few months and this would be my number one choice bar none. I know it's only one monitor order, but it'd be pretty much guaranteed.
Complete cocktail arcade system: arcadecabinets.ca

mrclean

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 10, 2022, 08:30:36 am
  • World Record Holder for Gun Smoke Dedicated & MAME
    • Guscade
oh yeah if anyone has the nieman 24.8'' can you please measure the width of it because the makvision one says it's 23'' wide acording to happ's website i find it hard to believe that the nieman one would be under 21.8'' width which is what I would need. also what's the weight on this monitor ?
2,370,650 Gun.Smoke

brandon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2023, 03:08:43 pm
  • I <3 arcade games.

so then you can't run the games in their native resolution in Mame because otherwise you'd be adjusting screen geometry everytime you switched games right?  That makes it kinda useless for Mame right?  I love the digital controls on my Betson but the convergence and geometry are TERRIBLE!!

Todd H

• Offline Offline
  • It's Gameday!

so then you can't run the games in their native resolution in Mame because otherwise you'd be adjusting screen geometry everytime you switched games right?  That makes it kinda useless for Mame right?  I love the digital controls on my Betson but the convergence and geometry are TERRIBLE!!

Exactly. That's why were trying to convince Rick to make a digital model.

brandon

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2023, 03:08:43 pm
  • I <3 arcade games.

Exactly. That's why were trying to convince Rick to make a digital model.

hell, I bet a Betson/Kortek chassis with one of Rick's tubes would probably be a HUGE improvement.  That's my main complaint with the Betson.

Ummon

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 09, 2010, 06:37:18 pm
You'd have to buy them separately and assemble them yourself. I don't think Rick would do a combination deal that wasn't all his stuff.
Yo. Chocolate.

"Theoretical physics has been the most successful and cost-effective in all of science."

Stephen Hawking

People often confuse expressed observations with complaint, ridicule, or - even worse - self-pity.

DJ Infinity

• Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 19, 2012, 03:48:16 pm
I'm buying one come tax time for my blitz machine. Digital or not it doesn't matter.  :cheers:
If You Are Going To Meddle At Least Listen