Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Tank II  (Read 59822 times)

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2024, 03:49:06 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
Re: Tank II
« Reply #120 on: February 11, 2008, 06:07:44 pm »
I checked my basement, it looks like I have 5 19" color monitors and no black and white ones. I guess I sold or gave them all away.

Too bad yours doesn't have a 23" monitor, those things are a dime a dozen it seems (all those Sprint 2's with burned up boards left a lot of the 23" monitors floating around). I think I still have a few good ones in my basement (I know I have six monitors down there, but I don't have any real games to use them in anymore).

* CheffoJeffo needs to schedule a roadtrip to grab up some 23" BW Atari monitors

* CheffoJeffo resigns himself to the fact that he has to fix his own damned 23" Atari BW monitor
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

ChadTower

• Chief Kicker - Nobody's perfect, including me. Fantastic body.
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 19, 2022, 12:01:54 pm
« Reply #121 on: February 11, 2008, 08:57:03 pm »
I haven't even loaded the pics from the camera yet.  :)

I just checked those two HV diodes in the burnt section... both seem at least mostly okay.  Junction drops are 0.49v and 0.51v, one way.  I'm not sure if that is on the low end of acceptable for MR501s... any opinions?

EDIT:  ooh, the big resistor between what appears to be a VR (a transistor looking thing with a heat sink) and the diodes reads as 0.3ohms.  We may have a winner.

Now to just try and figure out what it should be.

Gah, how do I tell the difference between silver and grey?  I mean, it's only 0.01 and 100,000,000 respectively.   :laugh2:

If I'm reading it right, it is either 2200 megohms or 0.22ohms... and it actually reads 0.3ohms.  Why the eff would it be so big if it's only 0.22ohms?  Voltage level?

« Last Edit: February 11, 2008, 09:08:35 pm by ChadTower »

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 13, 2018, 01:56:39 am
  • A Suzo stick is a joy forever...
« Reply #122 on: February 12, 2008, 01:02:36 am »
Because of the low resistance, there's probably a good deal of current running through it. To handle this, the resistor needs to be big(ger). The more Watts (power) a resistor can/has to handle, the bigger it gets.

U=IxR (Or as US people say: V=IxR)

By the way, silver is NOT used to code the resistance but the tolerance.

Silver is a certain percentage and gold is a certain percentage, I don't remember what the exact percentages are.
It is the tolerance in resistance level. A resistor is never exactly the given value, but around it. The tolerance band indicates how big or small the difference can be.

And uhmmm.... a 2200 megaohm resistor would be about the same as an open..... :D

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #123 on: February 12, 2008, 07:50:08 am »

There are two silver bands... fourth one is tolerance.  The third band is also silver.  The multiplier.

I'm going to try to find some test points to ensure the voltages are proper when running, but if I can't, I'm almost to the point where I'm going to pack it in and give it to a pro.  I'd like this game to be running soon.  I'm not sure where I'll put it, though.  Maybe up in my son's room since it is so short (they have slanted ceilings).

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #124 on: February 14, 2008, 08:23:28 am »
A very interesting ebay auction in terms of debugging this game.

I haven't been able to find mention of this document anywhere. 

Quote from: the seller
The handbook is basically a course in electronic circuits and monitors in the pong era.  It cover b&w monitors, and ttl circuits.  It's about 100 pages and has a motorola xm-501 monitor schematic for circuit analysis.  Must have come from some operator training seminar.

CheffoJeffo

• Cheffo's right! ---saint
  • Wiki Master
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 08, 2024, 03:49:06 pm
  • Worthless button pusher!
« Reply #125 on: February 14, 2008, 09:43:09 am »
I can find mentions of it, but no scans.

Interesting ... wonder how much more info it contains than, say, The Book ?
Working: Not Enough
Projects: Too Many
Progress: None

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #126 on: February 14, 2008, 10:00:05 am »
I can find mentions of it, but no scans.

Interesting ... wonder how much more info it contains than, say, The Book ?

No way of knowing without buying it.  The fact that it uses my exact monitor as its circuit analysis example is worth money to me in and of itself.  It wouldn't bother me to scan it for ionpool.

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #127 on: February 14, 2008, 12:06:40 pm »

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #128 on: February 14, 2008, 12:14:32 pm »

Thanks... that showed real promise at first, but after the first 5 or so pages, everything in that manual is in the standard manual too.   :-\  It fully lays out the TTL schematics but I have no idea how to go about troubleshooting any of it beyond the way I'd troubleshoot a more modern board.  Of course, I'm still learning that too.

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #129 on: February 14, 2008, 12:17:58 pm »
Same here....didn't know what you had already of course....
If you got questions about the TTL stuff let me know. I don't know everything, and I can only understand partly how all these things work together, but I can always give it a shot.

Are you also looking for the monitor manual ?

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #130 on: February 14, 2008, 12:19:24 pm »

I'll keep that offer in mind, thanks.  I need all the help I can get.

I do have the monitor manual.  It amazes me how much more detailed the old manuals are than modern manuals.  I wouldn't have been able to get the cap job finished without the schematic in the manual.

Fozzy The Bear

• Handbags at dawn in here!!!
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2011, 11:29:59 am
  • It's Been One Of Those Days... Don't Ask!
« Reply #131 on: February 14, 2008, 08:18:01 pm »
It amazes me how much more detailed the old manuals are than modern manuals.  I wouldn't have been able to get the cap job finished without the schematic in the manual.

That's because nobody bothers to repair stuff any more. When it breaks they just chuck it out and get another one.

It's even the same in the arcades now.... Most new machines are coming in with domestic monitors and TV's in them and in most cases there's no way to put the LCD ones right when they do break. In the UK "Lets Go Jungle" is fitted with a 65" Sony Bravia projector TV set!!! Time Crisis 4 is fitted with really crappy domestic Thompson 4:3 projectors, Go Figure!

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
Most bottles and jars contain at least twenty-five percent recycled Pacman.
And research indicates that Space Invaders are strongly attracted to people who have recently eaten meat pies.

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #132 on: February 15, 2008, 09:46:53 am »
Very true. Atari's documentation is awesome, especially around the classics period.
The Williams manual I got about the Getaway pinball is amazing too. Imagine just how many hours were put in writing and drawing those manuals.

I remember the time that Philips put a schematic (not a complete service manual, but still) with every device they sold.....imagine if they would do that now. You're lucky if you don't have to download a user manual !

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #133 on: February 15, 2008, 04:23:38 pm »

Over the past week or so I made two orders from Bob Roberts.  I ordered the replacement B+ caps and I figured he cross shipped them.  I sent in payment.  Before the B+ caps came to me I ordered a couple of PCB edge repair kits.  Another shipment, another $7.  Fair enough.

Bob didn't cross ship the first package for some reason.  He waited for the payment to come in and then did cross ship the second order.  For some reason he shipped them in two separate boxes - one with four caps in it, the other with 2 edge repair kits in it.  Both were small boxes marked about $4.50.  I paid $14 to ship $9 actual cost of what in this instance was a combined couple of ounces of material and could have been about $4 cost.

That is annoying enough.  Want to know what Bob used as packing material?  Moon Pies.  ---smurfing--- Moon Pies.  There were more pies in each package than there were parts.  So I paid $14 to ship $4-5 shipping cost of parts and 5x that weight in ---goshdarn--- Moon Pies.

Bob Roberts is losing his mind.

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #134 on: February 15, 2008, 07:11:46 pm »
Yeah, Bob (or one of his workers) also made a mistake with my G07 cap-kit. It was corrected by Bob, but maybe.....ehm, he's getting old ?

Hey Chad, have a look at this thread on KLOV forum:
http://forums.webmagic.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=2&Number=665749&Main=352030#Post665749

There's a guy named "Questor" who has a fully working Tank II. Maybe he can help a bit ?

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #135 on: February 15, 2008, 07:43:50 pm »
Yeah, Bob (or one of his workers) also made a mistake with my G07 cap-kit. It was corrected by Bob, but maybe.....ehm, he's getting old ?

When I reported the errors in the cap kit for this game he told me it wasn't possible.  I may be done ordering from him entirely.

Xiaou2

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 10:05:27 pm
  • NOM NOM NOM
« Reply #136 on: February 16, 2008, 12:33:05 am »

Moon Pies?   Are those the chocolate covered marshmallow gram-cracker
delicacies?   Yummy Yummy for my Tummy!    ;D

I wish everyone would use moon pies as packing material   lol

danny_galaga

• Grand high prophet of the holy noodle.
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 04:48:51 pm
  • because the mail never stops
    • dans cocktail lounge
« Reply #137 on: February 16, 2008, 03:22:39 am »
Because of the low resistance, there's probably a good deal of current running through it. To handle this, the resistor needs to be big(ger). The more Watts (power) a resistor can/has to handle, the bigger it gets.

U=IxR (Or as US people say: V=IxR)

By the way, silver is NOT used to code the resistance but the tolerance.

Silver is a certain percentage and gold is a certain percentage, I don't remember what the exact percentages are.
It is the tolerance in resistance level. A resistor is never exactly the given value, but around it. The tolerance band indicates how big or small the difference can be.

And uhmmm.... a 2200 megaohm resistor would be about the same as an open..... :D

i thikn silver is 10% tolerance and gold is 5%...

ROUGHING UP THE SUSPECT SINCE 1981

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #138 on: February 16, 2008, 05:39:05 am »

When I reported the errors in the cap kit for this game he told me it wasn't possible.  I may be done ordering from him entirely.
Well....first I ordered some Atari PSU rebuild kits, the one's that come with the fuses. I noticed that not all the required value fuses were in there. I mailed him about it and got about the same stubborn reply. So I replied and explained what is needed in values by an Atari PSU and what was in the bags. Then he explained that the included fuse set was NOT specifically aimed at the Atari PSU but it was a "general" set of fuses, or something like that.

I thought it was stupid, but after reading again on his site, he told like it was.

Next I had an order with the G07 cab kit, amongst other stuff. I got two wrong voltage caps. I mailed him about it and he was a lot less stubborn and asked me to send a picture of them, which I did. I got back a _very_ long e-mail explaining about his handling process (which sounded pretty good) and that no-one there could understand how this mistake had been made. Believe it or not, he also told me that he had watched the video tape to see where it could have gone wrong. So, he's apparently video taping the handling process !!! I've seen things like this at companies like DHL etc. but that amazed me for a small business like that.

Anyway no-one there could explain what had happened and he was going over it in his sleep..... :dizzy:

Anyway, he sent me the two correct value caps, so I'm still good with Bob.
He even cross-shipped the order to me, as soon he learned that Shilmover forwarded the money for me. Bob's a good guy, he's just a bit weird maybe :) Eaten too many moon-pie's ? (never had those, I wouldn't mind give it a try ;) )

It's not like we have a hundred places to get our materials from...

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #139 on: February 16, 2008, 10:59:19 am »

Moon Pies?   Are those the chocolate covered marshmallow gram-cracker
delicacies?   Yummy Yummy for my Tummy!    ;D

Yeah, but I got mostly banana, not chocolate.   :-\

I didn't actually ask Bob to replace any of the caps in my cap kit.  I ordered it like three years ago and put it in the cab for when I fixed it.  I just mentioned it in an email to him and asked him if they were reasonable sub values.  He told me they weren't, but then got mad that I was even asking, seeing as how it's not possible.  Not like I was looking at the list and at the caps seeing they were half the required voltage or anything.

Now that I'm getting decent at identifying parts and finding places to order I see that there isn't anything I have ordered from Bob that I can't get elsewhere. 

IG-88

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 08:29:46 am
« Reply #140 on: February 16, 2008, 08:43:57 pm »
Ok, I realize I'm a bit naive here but are you serious! Moonpies! WTF! Why in the hell would he do that?

I actually had someone ship me a mobo in REAL popcorn once. And I thought that was weird
"I know what a HAL 9000 is... I was wondering if HAL 7600 was his retarded cousin or something..."
-HarumaN

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #141 on: February 16, 2008, 08:51:53 pm »

That's a bit of the schematic for the edge connector of board 1.  I checked the voltages on pins 2-5 and found:

2 & 3:  7.3v

4 & 5:  14.8v

I assume 7.3v in is good enough but 14.8?  Probably way too high, yes?

I also used the edge connector repair kit Bob sent... went very well, looks good.  Busted out the dremel in order to put key slots in the fingerboard.  Pics will be coming when I get the chance.

« Last Edit: February 28, 2008, 08:30:27 pm by ChadTower »

Fozzy The Bear

• Handbags at dawn in here!!!
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 18, 2011, 11:29:59 am
  • It's Been One Of Those Days... Don't Ask!
« Reply #142 on: February 16, 2008, 10:51:36 pm »
I assume 7.3v in is good enough but 14.8?  Probably way too high, yes?

No it's probably fine..... Most PSU's exhibit over volts, when they're under a no load condition. This is especially true of older designs that don't have really good regulation. I assume it's supposed to be 6V and 12V.  You could design a small regulator board to clean it up a bit if it bothers you.

Best Regards,
Julian (Fozzy The Bear)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2008, 10:53:11 pm by Fozzy The Bear »
Most bottles and jars contain at least twenty-five percent recycled Pacman.
And research indicates that Space Invaders are strongly attracted to people who have recently eaten meat pies.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #143 on: February 17, 2008, 11:19:29 am »
No it's probably fine..... Most PSU's exhibit over volts, when they're under a no load condition.

Why would it be a no load condition?  This is with board and monitor in the cab.

There are a couple of other voltages I didn't check... I'll look at those soon.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #144 on: February 17, 2008, 12:47:13 pm »

Hrm... I found a loose wire, end exposed, hanging out in the harness.  I am having trouble tracing where it should go without undoing all of the cable ties.

I went to check to see if it should be on the connector and discovered something a bit odd, to me at least.

On board 1, there are no wires connected to the pin for 10 (5v) or 15 (-12v).  I don't see any lines coming off of those contacts in the diagram, either.  Anyone know what gives with that?  The harness for board 2 looks like I would expect.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #145 on: February 17, 2008, 01:07:39 pm »
Hrm... I found a loose wire, end exposed, hanging out in the harness.  I am having trouble tracing where it should go without undoing all of the cable ties.

Found it... it traces back to the ANT (pin 10) in the board 1 harness.  Did have to undo a couple of ties.

What is ANT?   ???  It just ends in the diagram.  Could that be an implicit tie to ground?

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #146 on: February 17, 2008, 03:49:25 pm »
Antenna ?

About the voltages: I take it you measured between pin 1 (Gnd) and all the other pins ?

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #147 on: February 17, 2008, 07:25:30 pm »
Antenna ?

That's all I can think of too.  Why would it have an antenna without a tuner?  And what of it just ending in the diagram?

About the voltages: I take it you measured between pin 1 (Gnd) and all the other pins ?

Yep. 

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #148 on: February 17, 2008, 07:36:59 pm »

Damn.  Thought I had something here.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #149 on: February 18, 2008, 08:33:01 am »
Answered.

1.8d Qualified Personal PCB Adjustments

Antenna Wire: Trimming this wire adjusts the Sensitivity of the static
discharge system. Please be aware that the adjustment will depend to a
certain degree upon the environment in which the Machine is located.
Trimming a bit off the wire will decrease the sensitivity of the discharge
system while adding a length of wire will increase the sensitivity of the
circuit. Adding is indicated if players are able to obtain free games by
introducing static discharges. Trimming is indicated only if the machine
disables game credit during the game.

shardian

• Saint is the evil mastermind
  • Trade Count: (+23)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 21, 2015, 03:11:31 pm
  • Friends don't let friends build frankenpanels...
« Reply #150 on: February 18, 2008, 08:36:01 am »
Answered.

Wow, those EE's back in the day were super clever and inventive weren't they? I wish I could've been an Engineer back in the 60's/70's.

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #151 on: February 18, 2008, 10:00:30 am »

I bet stuff like this is why they stopped routing power/controls/data through the monitor chassis.

I missed the end of that Atari doc auction.  Dammit.  I sent the winner an email offering to buy a copy off of him.  If I get it I want to scan it for the public domain.

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #152 on: February 18, 2008, 04:07:22 pm »
Answered.

Mmm, I vividly remember kids using those piezo gas-lighters, the one's that spark, to credit games.
This was at a holiday park where they had a little "arcade" that was completely unattended.

One of them comes up to me and says, you wanna play that game ? I say, yeah sure, so he holds that piezo thing to the coin-door (they had bend-out the pin that releases the spark) and fired away.
There I was with like 83 credits on Frogger :) This was in the 80's and the games were from the 80-84 era...

The trick worked on some games, but not all.

DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME WITH YOUR CLASSIC CABS !!!!
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 04:09:53 pm by Level42 »

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #153 on: February 18, 2008, 04:11:36 pm »

You know better than that.  You know as soon as this thing is working I'm going to try it.

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #154 on: February 18, 2008, 05:05:49 pm »

You know better than that.  You know as soon as this thing is working I'm going to try it.
Yeah, I know, because you have to try it to see if you have to trim or extend the antenna  :laugh2: :laugh2: :laugh2:

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #155 on: February 18, 2008, 05:35:36 pm »
Okay... more voltages:

pin 10:  4.7v
pin 15: -10.6v

Both too low, yes?

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #156 on: February 18, 2008, 08:05:12 pm »
Monitor 73v was 72.6.  Measured this by checking pin 32 (73v) vs pin 14 (chassis ground).  Tweaked the 73v control pot up to 73.1v.

Okay, more voltages, from the schematic of the chassis pinouts:

Pin 28 should be +550v is +525v
Pin 22 should be +73v   is +73.1v
Pin 9   should be +6.3v  is nearly zero
Pin 7   should be +30v   is +28.56v
Pin 4   should be +550v is +525v
Pin 3   should be +150v is +142.9v
Pin 2   should be +73v   is +73.1v

Clearly I need to be looking at what feeds pin 9.

EDIT:  found the 5v driver transistor... it's q19 on the little audio plugin board.  It has a resistor between B and C that is not in the schematic and the telltale flux of some tech's fingerprints.   ???
« Last Edit: February 18, 2008, 08:28:22 pm by ChadTower »

ChadTower

• Offline Offline
« Reply #157 on: February 18, 2008, 08:38:49 pm »

Tried to bust out the in circuit transistor checker but I have no idea how to read the results.  It beeped a lot.   :laugh2:

MaximRecoil

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 12, 2022, 09:50:44 pm
« Reply #158 on: February 18, 2008, 09:00:44 pm »

Over the past week or so I made two orders from Bob Roberts.  I ordered the replacement B+ caps and I figured he cross shipped them.  I sent in payment.  Before the B+ caps came to me I ordered a couple of PCB edge repair kits.  Another shipment, another $7.  Fair enough.

Bob didn't cross ship the first package for some reason.  He waited for the payment to come in and then did cross ship the second order.  For some reason he shipped them in two separate boxes - one with four caps in it, the other with 2 edge repair kits in it.  Both were small boxes marked about $4.50.  I paid $14 to ship $9 actual cost of what in this instance was a combined couple of ounces of material and could have been about $4 cost.

That is annoying enough.  Want to know what Bob used as packing material?  Moon Pies.  ---smurfing--- Moon Pies.  There were more pies in each package than there were parts.  So I paid $14 to ship $4-5 shipping cost of parts and 5x that weight in ---goshdarn--- Moon Pies.

Bob Roberts is losing his mind.

You would have paid the same $14 without the moon pies. $7 shipping on each order is the standard (and minimum) rate that he charges. Your moon pies were free. If you had ordered everything at once in the first place it would have only been $7 shipping, and you probably still would have gotten the moon pies to boot.

Level42

• Wiki Contributor
  • Offline Offline
« Reply #159 on: February 19, 2008, 01:36:26 am »
That pin 9 voltage is a problem. I wouldn't worry much about all the others.

Since you don't know how to handle it, send that transistor tester to me.  :laugh2:

What value resistor is it (remove one leg and the measure the resistance in Ohms setting on your DVM :) )