Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Rookie building new Small Bar Top (FINISHED)  (Read 3238 times)

ahma

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 26, 2008, 09:29:54 am
Rookie building new Small Bar Top (FINISHED)
« on: December 12, 2007, 04:08:10 pm »
Hello all!

I'm a rookie from Sweden trying to build a Bar Top Mame. I call it a prototype...  mostly to allow some mistakes during the process. If all works out there will be another cab built, based on the experiences from this.

The hard facts: Pentium Celeron 2,4, 512 MB, 40GB. Monitor is a 15" TFT. Cab is build in 10 mm MDF. The rest you can figure out from the pics... Being a rookie I try to listen to advice... and comments. However, there is no garantee I follow any tips..  ;D

Slideshow of the project so far:
http://s80.photobucket.com/albums/j171/nivahma/div2007/MAME/?action=view&slideshow=true

Snapshot of status 12/12-07:
« Last Edit: December 28, 2007, 03:31:14 pm by ahma »

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 30, 2024, 06:21:28 pm
Re: Rookie building new Small Bar Top
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2007, 04:16:43 pm »
looks nice - whats the deal with the hinged Marquee area?

ahma

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2007, 04:31:27 pm »
looks nice - whats the deal with the hinged Marquee area?

Thanks! Well, as you can see I only have one "maintenence door" and that's the "bottom board" (sorry for my poor English). It's only meant for replacing components and such work.

To access ports for extra keyboard, USB, mouse, network, reset button and so on I will have a "secret" control panel behind the marquee. We'll see if it's a good idea or not...  at least it's a bit unique - or?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2007, 05:05:32 am by ahma »

IG-88

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2023, 08:29:46 am
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2007, 05:45:00 pm »
I like it. Unique way of getting access to everything. I see that you didn't have much room to spare for the bottom of the joysticks 'eh?  ;D  I love the challenge of getting everything to fit into one of these. I would've preferred a regular CRT monitor but your flat panel is looking OK.

What is that you are using for the joystick interface? Is that a keyboard hack you made or purchased?

Cool access for the DVD/CD-Rom unit too. You ought to see if you can make that cover hinged so that way you can have easy access to watch movies on the thing .

Oh, and what are planning on running for software?
"I know what a HAL 9000 is... I was wondering if HAL 7600 was his retarded cousin or something..."
-HarumaN

ahma

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2007, 05:56:07 am »

What is that you are using for the joystick interface? Is that a keyboard hack you made or purchased?

Oh, and what are planning on running for software?

Controller from: http://www.arcademvs.com/ARCADE_ACESSERIOR.htm

...and software will probably be Linux of some kind... perhaps Myth?

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 20, 2024, 06:16:01 pm
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2007, 07:07:33 am »
Looks real good!
You might want to put a piece of tape over the end of the joystick, just in case the snap ring ever decides to break or give way. It would play havoc on the motherboard connections if it got loose.

Not bad at all for a rookie!!
 :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

psychotech

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 27, 2011, 11:01:50 pm
    • psychotech
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2007, 12:18:53 pm »
That's cool  :applaud:

Ihan kiva :) Millaiset grafiikat?

Keep up the good work  :cheers:

ahma

• Offline Offline
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2007, 03:55:31 pm »

Ihan kiva :) Millaiset grafiikat?

Sorry neighbour, no habla Finnish! Parlez Suedois?  :blah:

psychotech

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 27, 2011, 11:01:50 pm
    • psychotech
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 11:40:25 pm »
Sorry  ;D

It's just that your nickname ahma and you being from Sweden (ahma in finnish means wolverine..) made me think you just might be (SWE/FI) bilingual.. :)

Still, no harm done? Just meant to say that your build looks really great! And "Millaiset grafiikat?" translates more or less like: "What kind of graphics are you going to finish your cab with?".

Anyway, Good luck with the build!

And don't forget the pictures! :)

PS. "Parlez Suedois?" Nej, jag talar inte svenska & je ne parle pas français. No joopa joo. Onpas muuten taas syksyn mittaan satanut ihan kotitarpeiksi. Pakkasta ja luntakin sais jo tulla kohta ihan kunnolla..

PPS. LOL

PPPS: Keep up the good work!  :cheers:

ahma

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2007, 08:50:06 am »
Ok - all is clear! Thanks for the kind words. And I add the Finnish translation of my nick to the book of trivial knowledge that I will write after retirement.  AHMA is just the username at work. AHlberg, MAts - is the full name of yours truly.

About graphics - I have still not decided how to do it - but one idea is a rather sophisticated "piano-style" black finish - you know, like a black mirror. The colourful buttons and the backlit Marquee would stand out nice and brutal from the strict blackness.

Pics will come - but right now it's only filler-sanding-filler-sanding that is going on...

ahma

• Offline Offline
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2007, 03:43:42 pm »
Forget the piano finish - I will save that experiment...  No, instead I went for a genuine roller look  8) 

While painting I was thinking about the "coin" signal, if I should make a small coin slot with a switch or some other solution. A simple button is just too boring. How about a credit card reader? A fake reader, but still it would look good and hopefully give the users a reason to doubt if it's for real or not:

It was built with some parts from an old floppy drive, a switch and some sheet metal.

In the box with old drives I also found the inspiration to this 12/5-volt male connector. From an old 2 gb hard drive I stole the power inlet and a 9-pin DB-connector was modified to hold it.

TOK

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 24, 2024, 05:14:24 pm
  • The Game Always Wins
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2007, 08:49:00 pm »
The card reader is a clever idea. A couple of the big arcade chains in the US actually use their own cards/readers in place of tokens or cash.

deadkenndys1105

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:November 27, 2012, 03:55:05 pm
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2007, 09:27:16 pm »
I like the card idea to.  When I get around to my next build I think im going to try it.  Not only is it a easy way to avoid getting a coin door but its keep those annoying admin buttons off the CP.
17 years old and totaly addicted.

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 20, 2024, 06:16:01 pm
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2007, 11:16:20 am »
I like the card idea too.
But just a word of advice from a guy who had his CC number stolen once:
I would be very careful about displaying that number, but maybe it is an expired card?

Great work.. I like it!!!

ahma

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2007, 05:45:46 am »
But just a word of advice from a guy who had his CC number stolen once:
I would be very careful about displaying that number, but maybe it is an expired card?

Great work.. I like it!!!

Thanks for your concern - but the card is a membership of Swedish Camping Sites - with no financial value...

Update about the projekt: I've been messing with software! Ubuntu, Knoppmyth, WinXP, Gameex, DSL, Advance Mame... you name it...  *sigh*  Nothing really works as I would like. Right now I really feel like a rookie! The whole project is currently in "PAUSE"-mode - until I feel ready.

I have managed to play games with Gameex and all electronics seems to work - sometimes...  I will not spend X-mas with my head in the cabinet - so Happy Holidays everuone - see you 2008!

ahma

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2007, 03:16:28 pm »
Prototype is finished. Here are some pics of the final results. Next time it will be for real! Thanks for support and kind words!

dmworking247

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 19, 2024, 01:05:24 am
Re: Rookie building new Small Bar Top (FINISHED)
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2007, 12:49:08 am »
Congatulations! Thats quite a prototype! My prototype was made of cardboard! lol

You certainly have some neat tricks, such as your card reader and the way you've modified cables/connectors/power etc. You've also managed to neatly stack an entire PC inside a small box and wire it relatively neatly, well done!

Thats an interesting paint effect in the close-up, how'd you achieve that?

I have to admit that the 'look' of the cabinet itself isn't my taste, but then to be fair you've said its a prototype. Is there a particular purpose of that button layout that I'm missing?

Some recommendations for your 'real' version:
>Try T-molding or two-tone paint job to break up the 'all black' theme.
>Reduce the overhang of the marquee area shorter (it sticks out a lot)
>Make it a little rounder, perhaps a more curvy shape on the side walls between the marquee and the control panel area?
>Put something on the sides (a customised decal/sticker or something) to break up the large black area?

ahma

• Offline Offline
Re: Rookie building new Small Bar Top (FINISHED)
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2007, 04:38:42 am »
Thats an interesting paint effect in the close-up, how'd you achieve that?

Is there a particular purpose of that button layout that I'm missing?

Some recommendations for your 'real' version:
>Try T-molding or two-tone paint job to break up the 'all black' theme.
>Reduce the overhang of the marquee area shorter (it sticks out a lot)
>Make it a little rounder, perhaps a more curvy shape on the side walls between the marquee and the control panel area?
>Put something on the sides (a customised decal/sticker or something) to break up the large black area?

To sum things up - I have learnt a few things while building...  and that was of course my intention when I started it, I tried not to look too much on others work and tried to do some bilateral thinking - some with success and others less usueful...

To answer you message:

Paint effect: Indoor wall paint applied with foam roller.

Button layout: Right side was intended for second player, four direction buttons and Fire1 and Fire2. It does not work well... and the left side is not very good either. I'm however happy with the joystick!

All black look: Just a quick and dirty way to make it look finished. I save the vinyls, stickers, paintwork, marquee art and other bells and whistles to the "real" machine. there are two rolls of T-moulding in my basement. The next project will be built in 16 mm MDF (this is just 10 mm)

Overhang and roundness: A matter of taste...  :) I agree about the overhang!