Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Which front-end for these requirements?  (Read 1063 times)

LeedsFan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 17, 2021, 06:14:23 am
Which front-end for these requirements?
« on: December 08, 2007, 08:28:20 pm »
I've been a bit out of the loop for the last couple of years since my Mame cab build. Lots of new hardware and software has been developed for this hobby in that time.

I'm about to make a 2-player control panel using Ultimarc 360 joysticks, so i definitely want to use a FE which allows "on the fly" selection of the correct map for each game. Also, I also want to be able to keep my existing Highscore.dat files which are working in my current Mame.V.88.

Having been reading loads this evening... on this forum and on FE websites I have found out some info, but would like to see if I've missed anything. The FE's I've found that support Ultimarc 360 mapping are MaLa and GameEx. But I'm not sure if I need to be using a new version of Mame for the plugins to work. I'm using Mame .88 remember which is quite old now.

Also I think I read that the last version of Mame to support Highscore.dat was .99. But is this enough to be able to utilise the 360 plugins? Or will any version of Mame work for them?

Also if I have missed any other FE that supports the 360 mapping then I will certainly check it out if you point me in the right direction.  :D

DaveMMR

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:January 29, 2024, 11:49:01 am
    • TeeVee Games
Re: Which front-end for these requirements?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 09:09:22 pm »
I use .99, .84 and .116 with Mala and have never had any problems.  Unless I'm wrong, Mala will work with any Mame version.  If I am wrong, it will work with .88 and .99.  (And I am also using the ultrastick plugin without issue).

By the way, you can recompile later Mames to include hiscore.dat support if need be.   
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 09:34:02 pm by DaveMMR »

loadman

• Wiki Contributor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2020, 03:23:55 am
  • Cocktail Cab owner and MaLa FE developer
    • MaLa
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 10:39:51 pm »
I use .99, .84 and .116 with Mala and have never had any problems.  Unless I'm wrong, Mala will work with any Mame version. 

YEP.... ;)

Early version can be used too. Look Here:

http://wiki.arcadecontrols.com/wiki/MaLa_FAQ#I_am_using_version_am_mame_version_.84_or_lower._Mala_seems_to_go_through_it.27s_process_of_generating_the_list_of_games_but_nothing_shows_up..3F.3F.3F.3F.3F

headkaze

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 14, 2023, 02:00:48 am
  • 0x2b|~0x2b?
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 04:30:37 am »
You can use Mame Compiler to add hiscore.dat support to the newer versions of Mame.