Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Introducing the "Mother CP." Its Pink!!  (Read 5134 times)

fjl

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 04, 2017, 10:14:04 pm
  • Pixels Rule!
Introducing the "Mother CP." Its Pink!!
« on: December 08, 2007, 10:31:33 pm »
All right so this is my first arcade project. I spent months making this. Mostly because of lack of time, parts and the required tools.  I made this for my mom, hence the name, "Mother CP." Yeah, I call my mom, "mother." ;D

Being my first project, things didn't really come out like how I wanted but they didn't come out bad either. This project was originally meant for myself but later decided to make a CP for my mom. She told me her favorite color was pink so I made it pink. Of course the pink color reminded me of javeryh's famous Bella's Arcade so I looked to him for some simple advice. I also needed pink T-molding and instead of buying it he let me have his left over scrap. So this CP has remnants of Bella's arcade. I guess you could say this is the little sister of Bella. Although I named it "Mother's CP."

Thanks for the t-molding javeryh.  ;D

I designed this after being influenced by the Fighting Minions arcade stick as you can see in the picture below.

But unlike their design, my panel angles down at 15 degrees. Some told me that was too steep of an angle when taking aesthetics into consideration but after hours and hours of extensive use, I found it very comfortable. Either on a table top or on my lap.

Here are some of the pics, I'll walk you through them...

This is the top of the CP. Pink in color and plastic sheeting. Even bought a pink Sanwa JLW joystick to compliment the body of the CP. Although it's a little brighter than the paint job. No big deal.

Side view; as you can see the joystick is top mounted. My original intention was to add CP art to cover the joystick bracket but then thought, "it's supposed to be pink only." Plus my mom won't really care for any art anyways so I left that all out and simply painted the bracket pink as well.

Back side of the CP. The ugly part. The hinges are clearly visible as is the ends of the t-molding. For the wire, I drilled a hole with one of those bits that also sets the groove for a flat head screw. This gives the wire leeway so it wont damage as easily when being moved around. The whole top of the CP is set on hinges and opens up like a coffin.

Bottom of the CP;
I wanted to add something that will withstand movement but also be gentle on a table top. I went with rubber feet held by bolts. I thought of getting simple stick on but figured they would easily fall off so I went with a more permanent hold. These are pretty strong and do not bother at all while resting it on my lap.

Clear view of javeryh's pink t-molding from Bella's Arcade. Really nice of him to let me have his left over piece. Thanks again.
It was a perfect fit and the shade of pink is almost the same as the paint. Blends in rather nicely. I used glue paint to reinforce the t-molding. Most people say that glue is not neccessary. I think thats true but over all, it has a way better hold with the glue. Especially on the sharp turns. It would previously leave a noticeable gap between the wood and the molding. Not so anymore.

The labels I had printed out at my local printing shop. I made the art in photoshop and had them print it on various types of paper including transparent plastic sheets. That became my final choice. I had originally intented to make the black outlines of the words in white but the print shop said there was no such thing as white ink so I had to go with black. I then used an X-acto knife to cut out the words and used a spray on adhesive to stick them to the underside of the plastic sheeting.

I made this control panel by hacking a Logitech Dual Action PC controller I simply soldered the connections together. This controller used more than one ground which is why I have so many cables. I tied the cable that goes out of the case into a knot to prevent it from being pulled out. You can also see the bolts used to hold the rubber feet.

I used solid Cat 5e cable to connect all the parts. I originally had the wire in longer lenghts and used the sticky backs to hold the wire. But apparently there was crosstalk between the wires which caused certain buttons to register while pressing other buttons. I fixed this by shortening the cables. This is why you'll see unused sticky backs. I should have left the twist on the cables and connected their proper ground to each twisted cable to prevent the cross talk. Too late now. I also used a latching system. It holds pretty nicely and requires a bit of force to open it so it won't accidentally open during some wild gameplay.

The top of the CP was painted with many layers of paint and sanded down with various shades of sand paper. I even did water sanding with fine grades of sand paper. Finally polished it with turtle wax. It came out pretty nice. I could even see my reflection. Too bad that adding the laminate basically hides this. Now that awesome high gloss luster can't be appreciated.
 :dizzy:

As you can somewhat see, I didn't lose any fingers using my table saw. :angel:

Well this is my first CP. Tell me what you think, and what improvements you'd like to see for my next project which is already under way.  ;D

This was good practice on learning the ups and downs of working with wood. Learned a lot working on this. Eventually I'll start on my real cab and hopefully know how to get around all those little hitches I got from creating something as simple as this, which by the way was not simple at all.

Anyways, thanks and happy arcade making! :cheers:

arcadefever

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 03, 2009, 09:45:05 pm
  • Miami Beach Florida
Re: Introducing the "Mother CP." Its Pink!!
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 11:13:43 pm »
As you can somewhat see, I didn't lose any fingers using my table saw

;D

Nice stick, i like it  :cheers:

leapinlew

• Some questionable things going on in this room with cheetos
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 19, 2024, 06:19:27 pm
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 11:20:19 pm »
 :applaud:

4Aaron GE

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 22, 2013, 10:27:07 pm
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2007, 12:36:33 am »
That looks really good from the front, but you're right: the exposed bits all over the back do detract from the overall look.

I see, however, that it appears that you've got the entire "box" section of the CP completely flat, IE, it's all flush with the CP surface.  I also see that you've sunk the hinges into the MDF there as well.  Next time, instead of mounting the hinges like that, sink the hinge plates into the back surface of the box only.  That way, when it's closed, the hinge plates are completely hidden.

fjl

• Offline Offline
  • Pixels Rule!
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2007, 06:36:34 am »
I think I understand what you mean but wouldn't that still leave the bottom part of the hinge exposed?

Odd, now that I take a good look at this cp, I think it's pretty ugly looking and has no arcade feel to it. Good thing its for my mom and not for me >:D

But that's regardless cause once you start playing a game with it, the only thing you will be concerned with its how good it works and feels. And it does a pretty good job of that.  8)

DaOld Man

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 13, 2023, 12:03:14 am
  • Wheres my coffee?
    • Skenny's Outpost
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2007, 06:48:07 am »
I like it. Looks like great work for a first timer.
I would have done the back differently, since it is the part everyone will see.
You could have used a piano hinge and hid it all, I think. Or maybe theres something Im not seeing.
But over all, great job!!!!
 :applaud: :applaud: :applaud:

waveryder

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 14, 2011, 04:26:17 am
  • I Troop, therefore I am
    • BubbleGum Custom Art
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2007, 07:42:33 am »
Lovin the pink!!! Would have hidden the joystick base mself but you gotta bow down to that use of pink!
When pixelated clipart just wont do, just call for Betty

fixedpigs

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 05, 2022, 04:56:10 pm
  • warning: drew can't handle my avatar...
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2007, 12:01:19 pm »
looks good...

as others have said...i would have made it so the hinges were in the 'closed' position instead of the 'open' position...

i also would have made the joystick plate invisible...maybe painted the underside of the plexi instead of the topside of the wood...?

oh...and a smaller font so your words don't run so close together...

i like the knot on the wire to prevent it from being pulled out...

i also really like how you have all of your screws lined up...on the back and on the bottom...nice...

:cheers:
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 12:04:02 pm by fixedpigs »

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2007, 01:06:34 pm »
Everyone is giving you good advice efjayel. You've started on your way to doing some work. Good job. As you continue to build and get comfortable with your tools you've recently purchased - your work will get better and better.

I hope you had fun. The process is just as fun as playing for me.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2007, 01:26:38 pm by leapinlew »

bfauska

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 28, 2023, 04:41:45 pm
  • "You're not wrong Walter, you're just an @##hole!"
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2007, 01:45:07 pm »
Looks pretty good, I can't think of any advice or suggestions for improvement that hasn't been given already. If you want the next one to look more "arcadey" I think artwork would be all it takes.

How come no pictures with your right hand visible?  >:D It looks like the new tools are working out good, congratulations.

The process is just as fun as playing for me.

More fun than playing for me.

fjl

• Offline Offline
  • Pixels Rule!
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2007, 02:05:16 pm »
How come no pictures with your right hand visible?

Because there is no hand, just a nub.  ::)

The process is just as fun as playing for me.

More fun than playing for me.

I totally agree!

i also would have made the joystick plate invisible...maybe painted the underside of the plexi instead of the topside of the wood...?

Hmm, interesting idea. But kind of leaves out CP art. Unless I print them out in small parts, cut them out and paste them on the uderside then paint the underside. I just might take that into consideration.

i also really like how you have all of your screws lined up...on the back and on the bottom...nice...

:cheers:

Wow, thanks! Didn't think anyone would look even bother to look hard enough to notice something like that. Good eye!  8)

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2007, 02:58:16 pm »
Heres another suggestion - use a thinner piece of material for the CP top so the T-molding hides the edge of the plexi. It gives a very professional look.

fjl

• Offline Offline
  • Pixels Rule!
« Reply #12 on: December 10, 2007, 05:12:48 am »
I'd like to see some examples. But wouldn't it be obtrusive since its very likely that the t-molding will sit either above or below the plexi glass? My plexi glass is straight but once I added the buttons it would no longer stay straight. Thought it could be that I put them on too tight so I losened them up a bit. It relaxed a bit but the plexi glass still bends upward a bit. If I loosen the buttons any more they'll start to turn in place.

Also I would think dirt would easily get stuck where the t-molding meets the plexi glass. One last thing I think can come out wrong is that every time a player slides their arm down, it will bend the t-moldings lip away from the plexi glass wearing it out to where there is a noticeable gap that will no longer want to pop back into place. And once again the dirt problem arises.

Does this actually happen or am I thinking ahead of myself?

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 10:28:40 am
« Reply #13 on: December 10, 2007, 11:26:24 am »
Nice job!  I especially like that t-molding.   I also love any arcade project someone has the stones to paint pink.   ;)

If you check out one of Knievel's CP tops you will see what lew is talking about regarding the t-molding and plexiglass.  Basically, you cut the slot in your MDF/plywood 1/8" higher which will allow the t-molding to cover the edge of the plexiglass.  Then, in order to hide the extra 1/8" of material you now have on the bottom of your MDF/plywood that isn't covered by the t-molding anymore, you bevel the edge 45 degrees with a chamfer bit or something.  If done right, you can't even tell that there is any extra material.

Denverlatino

• ---Buyer Beware - transactions with this user are in dispute--- ... Banned ...
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 13, 2009, 02:55:24 pm
« Reply #14 on: December 10, 2007, 04:51:41 pm »
that look really good, i like he disign, should made something like that for mi wife.
[transactions in dispute -- see http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=77030.0]
... Banned ...

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #15 on: December 10, 2007, 06:45:20 pm »
Wheres the build photos?

4Aaron GE

• Offline Offline
« Reply #16 on: December 11, 2007, 12:44:42 am »
I think I understand what you mean but wouldn't that still leave the bottom part of the hinge exposed?

You'll get the round bit of the hinge exposed, yes, but it's a heck of a lot easier to paint like that.  ;)

What'd you use to paint this, BTW?  Spray?  Foam roller?

fjl

• Offline Offline
  • Pixels Rule!
« Reply #17 on: December 12, 2007, 04:38:25 am »
I foam rolled the primer. Spray painted the pink.

I took no build pictures. Actually just like three but they're pointless from way in the beginning of the project like the first few cuts. But don't worry, I'll definitely document the next project. Sadly the CP base is already done but the top part of the cp is not and that's really the main part. I'll document all that.

As for the hinge thing, I don't think it will be very practical cause I would have to use a thicker piece of wood for the hinge to fit on it. And not to mention that back piece that will hold the hinge is cut at a 15 degree angle where the hinge is supposed to rest. I'm pretty sure it will be really hard to cut the groove for the hinge on something like that.

Here's a sory looking pic of what I'm talking about. Note the hinges being on top of a slanted face thicker than the rest of the other pieces of wood.

ratzz

« Reply #18 on: December 12, 2007, 06:50:48 am »
Well done -- nice build.

If I was being super critical, I would have under-mounted that joystick. I think its definitely worth doing, and would be good practice for your next cab.

Also, as far as the hinge thing goes -- piano hinges are a lot thinner than most hinges, and there are also various sizes of other hinge that coule be used to get round the issue of mounting.

Anyway, good job. 

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2007, 08:46:34 am »
Here's a sory looking pic of what I'm talking about. Note the hinges being on top of a slanted face thicker than the rest of the other pieces of wood.

Notch the hinges - like they do with the doors in your house.

fixedpigs

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 05, 2022, 04:56:10 pm
  • warning: drew can't handle my avatar...
« Reply #20 on: December 12, 2007, 10:39:39 am »
As for the hinge thing, I don't think it will be very practical cause I would have to use a thicker piece of wood for the hinge to fit on it. And not to mention that back piece that will hold the hinge is cut at a 15 degree angle where the hinge is supposed to rest. I'm pretty sure it will be really hard to cut the groove for the hinge on something like that.

1 - hinges come in different sizes...

2 - a chisel is all that is required to recess the hinges...remember...?

4Aaron GE

• Offline Offline
« Reply #21 on: December 12, 2007, 12:33:31 pm »

Looks like other guys have chimed in with some good advice.  And if you're able to get that piece of wood angled like that, I'm confident that you have the skill to recess the hinge as well.  Either way, even for a first run through, your stick is heads and shoulders above what I've seen some of my friends make.

fjl

• Offline Offline
  • Pixels Rule!
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2007, 03:00:48 pm »
I did use my table saw to make the angles but they where never truly flush. It was more of making the cut, fit the piece, see how much its off by, then slightly cut a bit more until they where moderately flush. I tried making all the cuts to near perfect sizes and they would still be off by a noticeable amount when I would put all the pieces together. I guess there is a lot of play with wood sizes like they expand and or simply shift sizes or something.
Rather odd... :dunno

Regardless I probably wont redo the base of my next CP seeing as how I already completed it some weeks back. And it came out better than this last one. But right now I'm taking a break from woodworking for the holidays. I got other things that require more attention as of right now. But I'll finally jump back into to finishing this other CP right after the Holidays. Then I'l finally dive into the big project, the whole arcade! Can't wait!   >:D

And oh yeah, when I tried usign the chisel to carve the groove for the hinge previously, it came out really crappy. Not so much because of my lack of skills but also because of the way MDF is put together. Its kind of like trying to carve through a stack of papers. Kind of okay from the flat side but the sides are a nightmare cause it splits just like a stack of papers.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2007, 03:03:26 pm by efjayel »

leapinlew

• Offline Offline
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2007, 04:15:59 pm »
And oh yeah, when I tried usign the chisel to carve the groove for the hinge previously, it came out really crappy. Not so much because of my lack of skills but also because of the way MDF is put together. Its kind of like trying to carve through a stack of papers. Kind of okay from the flat side but the sides are a nightmare cause it splits just like a stack of papers.

This is the kind of information that would be useful when your trying to explain why the hinge on the back is a bad idea since it would cause the CP top to stick out further. Route it out then. :dizzy:

fjl

• Offline Offline
  • Pixels Rule!
« Reply #24 on: December 13, 2007, 01:38:26 am »
thats what I did for this one. I taped some small pieces of mdf with carpet tape to form the shape I was going to cut and used a template as a guide. Worked out nicely.