Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: javeryh's MaLa/MAME configuration questions - Help get Bella's Arcade playable!  (Read 2768 times)

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 21, 2024, 10:11:33 am
EDIT:  my questions:

1.  I'll start out easy.  I can't seem to figure out how to map "button 8" (ultimarc 360 wiring harness) to EXIT a game back to the front end (MaLa).

2.  Getting MAME to display fullscreen vertically - I set the MAME ini file to 5:4 and nothing happened.  Then I tried changing resolution to 1280x1024 and it made it worse (squished the entire picture).  What I'm not understanding is why I have a problem to begin with - vertical games touch the top and bottom of the screen when I don't have "ror" set to 1.

3.  Properly installing fatfingers ultrastik plugin so all of the maps are automatically loaded.  I checked the thread but I can't figure out how to change the "path" even by following the instructions.  Ultramapper is installed in c:\program files.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Already answered:

I think I have everything configured and installed properly but when I try to launch a game the dos box comes up for a split second and displays this:

Proposed video mode not supported on device \\.DISPLAY1
Unable to initialize Direct3D
osd_init failed

I'm guessing my computer lacks some sort of generic program or something.  I just did a fresh install of XP on a PIII, 766MHz, 512MB RAM computer - can someone help me out?  I was hoping to configure everything tonight!

THANKS!!!   :cheers:
« Last Edit: June 30, 2007, 05:25:30 pm by javeryh »

loadman

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2020, 03:23:55 am
  • Cocktail Cab owner and MaLa FE developer
    • MaLa
Re: MaLa not launching games - please help! [error message]
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2007, 09:25:59 pm »

I would change the 'subject line' of this post as this is not a MaLa issue. That way you might attract some-one who can help you

However a similar issue was posted here a few days ago ..

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=67971.msg691167#msg691167

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2007, 10:27:40 pm »
Thanks loadman - the problem was my computer.  It's not fast enough for MAME .116 apparently.  I installed MAME .87 and everything seems to be running OK - is there any way to increase the launch speed?  When I launch a game there's a solid 10 second delay until it loads.

I guess now I'm going to spend 1/2 the night editing my gamelist (I only want vertical games) and tweaking the settings in MaLa.

Thanks again!   :cheers:

loadman

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 17, 2020, 03:23:55 am
  • Cocktail Cab owner and MaLa FE developer
    • MaLa
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2007, 10:46:18 pm »
I guess now I'm going to spend 1/2 the night editing my gamelist (I only want vertical games) and tweaking the settings in MaLa.

Have you tried this tool?

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=67287.msg691288#msg691288

javeryh

• Offline Offline
Thanks again loadman - I'll check that out.  It certainly seems easier than launching each game and checking for myself.

I guess I'll use this thread as my own little help thread instead of creating 10 different ones.  Anyway, so far I can't seem to figure out:

1.  I'll start out easy.  I can't seem to figure out how to map "button 8" (ultimarc 360 wiring harness) to EXIT a game back to the front end (MaLa). 

2.  Getting MAME to display fullscreen vertically - I set the MAME ini file to 5:4 and nothing happened.  Then I tried changing resolution to 1280x1024 and it made it worse (squished the entire picture).  What I'm not understanding is why I have a problem to begin with - vertical games touch the top and bottom of the screen when I don't have "ror" set to 1.

3.  Properly installing fatfingers ultrastik plugin so all of the maps are automatically loaded.  I checked the thread but I can't figure out how to change the "path" even by following the instructions.  Ultramapper is installed in c:\program files.

Any help would be great!

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 22, 2015, 04:11:30 pm

I answered over in the main forum but you need to reverse your dimensions because of the orientation of the monitor.

1.  I'll start out easy.  I can't seem to figure out how to map "button 8" (ultimarc 360 wiring harness) to EXIT a game back to the front end

The exit button is mapped in the general settings not the MAME32 interface.  While in a game pres the TAB key and go to 'Input (General)' then 'User Interface'.  In that menu you are looking for the 'UI Cancel' remap that to button 8 on your stick and you should be good to go.

I can't help you with the other question but this should get you further to being finished. ;D

Kaytrim

javeryh

• Offline Offline
#1 is answered.  Thanks Kaytrim.  I'm still having trouble with #2 and #3.  leapinlew thinks my display issue might be tied to a limitation with my Intel onboard video - it's an Intel 82815 or something.  Windows works properly though as far as filling the entire screen...

Thanks!!   :cheers:

javeryh

• Offline Offline
Yikes - I just ran PC wizard and the rewsults aren't pretty.

Mainboard: Intel D815EEA
Chipset: Intel i815E/EP
Processor: Intel PIII 733MHz
Memory: 128MB (1x128 SDRAM)
Video Card: Intel 82815
Hard Drive: 30GB
Monitor: Dell E197FP

Maybe I should look into getting more RAM as well as a new video card?

javeryh

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2007, 09:53:32 am »

Have you tried this tool?

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=67287.msg691288#msg691288

That program is fantastic.  Thanks!!

I'm still having trouble with #2 and #3 but fatfingers is walking me through #3 so it's really down to the display issue... maybe I need to buy some new computer parts like a video card, 1GB of RAM, etc.?

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Offline Offline
A different video card and about 512mb to 1gb of ram should finish the hardware needs to this beutifull project.

javeryh

• Offline Offline
A different video card and about 512mb to 1gb of ram should finish the hardware needs to this beutifull project.

Thanks Kaytrim - any (somewhat cheap) recommendations?  I'm obviously clueless when it comes to this stuff.   :cheers:

Kaytrim

• I'm too nice a guy
  • Offline Offline
Depends on the PC you are using.  Seeing that you have a PIII 766mhz, just like my Dad's Bartop, the 512 mb of RAM should do you fine there.  oops just noticed your later post only 128mb of ram.  I would suggest getting two 256mb sticks as paired ram sticks work better than one larger stick. I'll try and look tonight I might have a pair of sticks you could use. What is the speed of the 128 stick that you have?

Search eBay for a cheep PCI video card.  I ended up getting an old Matrox card for $5 plus shipping.