Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Is there a quick way to tweak MAME INI files from MALA?  (Read 1773 times)

Kook

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 10, 2020, 02:36:25 pm
Is there a quick way to tweak MAME INI files from MALA?
« on: December 02, 2006, 03:04:14 am »
Running MAME v0.110 here. In MALA, what I would like to do is hit a button that opens the INI file for the selected ROM (in Windows Notepad or whatever) and returns to MALA when I am done editing. In other words, I'm looking for a quicker way to tweak INI files. Is there a way to do this? I tried using the control panel viewer option (notepad.exe as the executable and %rom% on the command line) but it just makes MALA freeze.

Organic Jerk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2013, 12:39:09 am
  • I'm per pixel lit.
    • OmeshPersaud.com
Re: Is there a quick way to tweak MAME INI files from MALA?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2006, 04:28:05 am »
Create a bat file and run notepad.exe with the command line dialog to open whatever file you want..

For example:

mame_ini.bat
Code: [Select]
@ECHO OFF
START C:\WINNT\NOTEPAD.EXE /w C:\emulators\MAME\mame_last\mame0110u2b_p3\mamep3.ini
EXIT

(replace the windows directory and mame ini location with the ones relevant to you)

Then go into the Mala options menu... then "Controller>Keyboard>External Applications" and set it as one of the apps, with a key to bring it up. (Remember to change the file type to "All Files" when browsing to be able to select it)

You're going to have to create a seperate bat file for every file you want to edit, and mala lets you choose 3 external apps, so I imagine that should suit you fine
« Last Edit: December 02, 2006, 04:32:24 am by OrganicJerk »

Progress Rate:  Moderate      ||      Threads:  Cabinet  |  Art  |  MaLa Layout
XBL: OrganicJerk  |  PSN: OrganicJerk

loadman

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 26, 2024, 05:14:32 am
  • Cocktail Cab owner and MaLa FE developer
    • MaLa
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2006, 05:41:42 am »
have you guys not had success using this feature?

See attached pic

Organic Jerk

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 09, 2013, 12:39:09 am
  • I'm per pixel lit.
    • OmeshPersaud.com
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2006, 02:00:16 pm »
Personally that's what I do, but everyone has their reasons for things I guess...

I figure since you're taking out your keyboard for editing you might as well take out your mouse..

Progress Rate:  Moderate      ||      Threads:  Cabinet  |  Art  |  MaLa Layout
XBL: OrganicJerk  |  PSN: OrganicJerk

Kook

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:December 10, 2020, 02:36:25 pm
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2006, 05:41:32 pm »
Sorry, I might not have been clear. It's not mame.ini I want to edit. I want to edit the ini file for the SELECTED GAME. For example, if I select Mortal Kombat II, I want to hit a button that opens mk2.ini in notepad. Get what I mean?