Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: How Do You Restore a Marquee?  (Read 2806 times)

1zzy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 20, 2006, 08:12:33 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
How Do You Restore a Marquee?
« on: December 07, 2005, 04:39:49 pm »
So this is the question I have to ask now since I recently bought one off of eBay. I was told it is in good shape, and I guess it is in GOOD shape from a certain perspective. Good enough that you can tell it is a Pac-man marquee, bad enough in that it has a few flaws that I would like to fix to make it acceptable.

The first I guess would be fixing scratches to the artwork. Is there anyone who can recommend how to paint the scratches so that when light shines through the marquee that you don't see them? These are minor scratches less that 1/16" thick along with a few holes smaller than a pencil eraser.

The second flaw that needs addressing is the clear front part of the plexi. It looks as if someone had sprayed over sections of it with some type of cleaner that looks as if something is now splattered over it. Closest description I can give is think of spraying coffee over it and it dried. I tried cleaning it off using Windex and then Goof-off, but it looks as if it has etched itself into the plexi. I was curious if there is a way to make it clear again. From bujilding my full-scale R7, people talked about using a quick pass from a lighter to make it shiny again after it has been sanded. Just curious before I do it if anyone else has any recommendations.

Thanks.
Scott S.

mahuti

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 02, 2022, 09:51:19 pm
  • I dare anything! I am Skeletor!
Re: How Do You Restore a Marquee?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 05:26:36 pm »
One AMAZING resource for this type of thing. Pick and choose the topics.

http://marvin3m.com/restore/index1.htm

I know there was a link somewhere on fixing up plastic, too.
Raspberry Pi, AttractMode, and Skeletor enthusiast.

Felsir

• Wiki Master
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 28, 2022, 01:21:47 pm
  • Creating cab artwork
    • Felsir's World
Re: How Do You Restore a Marquee?
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 02:38:54 am »
good link! Added to the FAQ  :)