Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: More Cab Questions  (Read 946 times)

SS427

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 07, 2017, 12:04:24 am
  • Slow Poke, He pack a gun!
More Cab Questions
« on: January 21, 2003, 02:14:25 pm »
Haven't made a lot of progress on my cabinet other than almost finished cutting out the main pieces besides the cp.  I decided to start with an all in one cp, but use a db25 pin connector if I decide to go to multiple panels.  Now on to the questions....

Untill I can get a dedicated system to run mame I will need access to the computer.  So here are my thoughts.  One, I can mount the computer outside the cab untill I get a dedicated system and add a connector panel to the side of the cab for wiring.  Two, I can hold off on a coin door and make some custom opening for the front of the computer and replace this with a coin door panel when I get a dedicated system (this is the one I'm leaning towards).

Oh, anybody remember when the cut off to preorder the tv light gun is?

Suggestions????????

RacerX

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 25, 2024, 04:53:33 pm
  • Longtime member, sometime poster.
Re:More Cab Questions
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2003, 03:10:26 pm »
Haven't made a lot of progress on my cabinet other than almost finished cutting out the main pieces besides the cp.  I decided to start with an all in one cp, but use a db25 pin connector if I decide to go to multiple panels.  Now on to the questions....

Untill I can get a dedicated system to run mame I will need access to the computer.  So here are my thoughts.  One, I can mount the computer outside the cab untill I get a dedicated system and add a connector panel to the side of the cab for wiring.  Two, I can hold off on a coin door and make some custom opening for the front of the computer and replace this with a coin door panel when I get a dedicated system (this is the one I'm leaning towards).

Oh, anybody remember when the cut off to preorder the tv light gun is?

Suggestions????????

I use my computer for both MAME and for everything else I do.  I have my computer desk right next to my cabinet, and I have a switch box for switching back and forth from the monitor in my cab to the one on my desk.  I have a Hagstrom LE24 keyboard encoder mounted towards the back of the cab inside, which has a passthrough built in, so if I need one of the keys that I don't have mapped to a button, such as ~, I just reach over and hit it on the keyboard.

This solution works well for me.  But if you don't have room for a computer desk next to your cab, or if you just don't want a computer desk next to your cab, it wouldn't be for you.

BASSOFeeSH

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 29, 2009, 12:46:42 am
  • TD-2779
    • Trooper Armor
Re:More Cab Questions
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2003, 03:22:44 pm »
I've seen lots of cabinets grant access to the computer via the coin door.  i.e.  Swing it open & access the system.

And about the gun, I think its sometime in Feb.  But to be safe just go order it now. ;)