Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Plywood poll, what type did you use?  (Read 2256 times)

Silverwind

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 26, 2022, 12:49:09 am
Plywood poll, what type did you use?
« on: January 18, 2003, 12:13:06 pm »
Was browsing home depot yesterday...  there were multiple types of plywood to choose from.. which do most here use?

They had ACX, CDX, BC, Birch, Oak..... the birch looked the nicest.. but a 5/8" 4x8 was about 44 bucks!

I would like a somewhat smooth finish (so the artwork will be flat).. but I will be putting plexi/lexan over the top (1/8") so I won't really be feeling the wood much..

They also had sheets of pine for ~20 but they were smaller (2'x4'?)

My cabinet will be four players so I'm thinking for just the top 2'x4' would be ok... I'd have to use some other wood for the base of the CP and just use the nice stuff for the top?

Silverwind

• Offline Offline
Re:Plywood poll, what type did you use?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2003, 01:42:26 pm »
?  I want to try to buy some today ;)

Xphile

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:July 03, 2010, 12:54:48 am
  • I'll never go back to the NHL!
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2003, 03:56:00 pm »
i used t&g flooring (5/8") cause it was the smoothest stuff they had...(just as smooth as the birch i saw, yet only ~$20 a 4x8 sheet -taxes in) it still took 3 coats of primer, with sanding and filling between each coat to get a paintable surface.. I only used ply cause i needed structural integrity as the ply will be bearing weight on edge..
(the upside down check-marks/ hockey-stick looking things on the side of a space harrier cab..

<edit:>the thin part broken in half with red and yelloiw lines on it bottom right in this pic http://members.shaw.ca/space_harrier/space_harriers_005.jpg <end edit>)  

I'd seriously consider MDF  for anything not weight bearing, like a CP...superior paint finishing, and easy to cut (great edges...no splintering,etc)

hth...
« Last Edit: January 18, 2003, 06:10:46 pm by Xphile »
Pull a year and a half strike- it's over 4eva..
besides, WHL rocks!

hyiu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 29, 2014, 05:36:15 am
  • too many games... too little time....
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2003, 05:59:19 pm »
you said you want to put artwork on the side ??..

if so... I guess you'll want to paint ?? or laminate ??..

then you might want to consider MDF... they are also smooth, take paint very well... and cheap... should be around $20 for a 3/4 in 4 x 8.....

and if you decide that you'll take plywood... then brich is good... I'm using brich myself.... 3/4 in 4 x 8.....
but I'm planning to stain it.... not paint it....

hope it helps...  ;D
Another Brilliant mind ruined by education....  :p

Jakobud

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 12, 2024, 03:30:49 am
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2003, 09:13:28 pm »
Not sure why you would want to use plywood.  You should look at MDF.  It will have a MUCH better finish in the end.

Silverwind

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2003, 10:59:59 pm »
Not sure why you would want to use plywood.  You should look at MDF.  It will have a MUCH better finish in the end.

I would go MDF... but a lot of people said it does not hold screws well..  I plan on screwing my happ supers from underneath so I don't have a bolt showing on top

Craig Pilecky

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 15, 2003, 02:47:32 am
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2003, 11:03:51 pm »
Im using 3/4 fir plywood. Thats what I used on the bottom of the frame bolted to the 2/6s.  Its also what I build the controll box out of.

Its not as smooth as Oak, but once I sand it a little and paint and laminate it I doubt you would be able to tell the difference. I may end up using Oak for the large 6'2" side pieces. But only if I cant find a straight enough piece of fir. The fir plywood ive seen has all been very warped. Its ok for small pieces at least. The oak is nice and straight.

spidermonkey

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 01, 2023, 04:15:59 am
  • Bombjack junkie
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2003, 01:54:41 pm »
Use mdf for the cabinet and use plywood for your control panel surface. Especially if your screwing the joysticks from underneath.
"Sinistar has bad breath"

Silverwind

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2003, 02:02:49 pm »
Use mdf for the cabinet and use plywood for your control panel surface. Especially if your screwing the joysticks from underneath.

I like this design http://home.columbus.rr.com/mamemachine/mame.htm

I will probably do something like that..   is there any types of plywood I should stay away from??

hyiu

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 29, 2014, 05:36:15 am
  • too many games... too little time....
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2003, 03:00:07 am »
are you going to use lexan on top ??... or artwork on the ctrl panel ??...

if you are... then you still can use MDF... and you can still do it securely....

you can use nut and screws for the joystick... but on top, you can route down the screw holes a little bit... then you can use the artwork to cover... and use the lexan on top to protect the whole thing....

now.... I have 1 that is like that....
http://www.geocities.com/hyiu/pics/Arcade/Cab_and_Stick/a_cp.jpg

try this link....

http://www.geocities.com/hyiu/pics/Arcade/Cab_and_Stick/a_cp.jpg?

look closely.... I'm using screws and nuts... but it doesn't show at all...

hope it helps...

somehow... the link... you have to go to the directory first, then click on the file... sorry... not exactly know how to fix this.... :P
« Last Edit: January 20, 2003, 03:01:22 am by hyiu »
Another Brilliant mind ruined by education....  :p

eightbit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2019, 07:38:11 pm
  • My cab is never done...
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2003, 05:14:25 pm »
Star wars graphics are cool!

Likes like geocities fixed the workarounds that you could use for direct linking images.
My statements are my own opinions. They have the value that the reader gives them. My opinion of my opinion varies between foolish and brilliant and these opinions often change with new information.

cdbrown

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2017, 09:52:03 pm
  • Bowowow
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2003, 11:59:11 pm »
Star wars graphics are cool!

Likes like geocities fixed the workarounds that you could use for direct linking images.

The first link works but I manually put ? a the end after the error screen comes up.

Jakobud

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 12, 2024, 03:30:49 am
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2003, 12:09:10 am »
Yeah, my cabinet is all MDF and it wasn't a problem at all to screw together.  If you are concerned about your control panel just make that top part of your CP out of plywood (since it will probably be covered by graphics anyways).  But I would try to do the rest of your cabinet out of MDF.  It will really look WAY nicer than plywood.  You should just goto HomeDepot and look at both of them and ask the folks there about them.  Just feeling both of them will convince you that MDF is the way to go.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2003, 12:10:02 am by Jakobud »

eightbit

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:September 07, 2019, 07:38:11 pm
  • My cab is never done...
« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2003, 11:07:06 am »
Yeah, my cabinet is all MDF and it wasn't a problem at all to screw together.  If you are concerned about your control panel just make that top part of your CP out of plywood (since it will probably be covered by graphics anyways).  But I would try to do the rest of your cabinet out of MDF.  It will really look WAY nicer than plywood.  You should just goto HomeDepot and look at both of them and ask the folks there about them.  Just feeling both of them will convince you that MDF is the way to go.
MDF VS plywood-
MDF is heavier
MDF is not as strong
MDF does not hold screws as well
MDF is very smooth
MDF is cheap
MDF is easy to machine

When screwing MDF try to avoid screwing into the edges, use solid wood strips or the like as corner braces and screw into those.
My statements are my own opinions. They have the value that the reader gives them. My opinion of my opinion varies between foolish and brilliant and these opinions often change with new information.

Silverwind

• Offline Offline
« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2003, 11:48:15 am »
MDF VS plywood-
MDF is heavier
MDF is not as strong
MDF does not hold screws as well
MDF is very smooth
MDF is cheap
MDF is easy to machine

When screwing MDF try to avoid screwing into the edges, use solid wood strips or the like as corner braces and screw into those.

Thanks for the tips guys...
I've worked with MDF before.. I do like the smoothness..  it is pretty tough if braced properly..

What i'm leaning towards.. is build the CP entirely out of Plywood (not just the top).. then build the cabinet out of MDF

found some decent fir plywood at lowes.. 5/8" thick.. and it's actually in very good condition and very smooth..   it wasn't too bad either.. like $20.50 for a 4'x8' sheet.  That will be plenty for a control panel.. and i'll have leftovers for later use.. (such as for bracing/screwing the MDF as eightbit suggested)

how many sheets of MDF will it take.. i'm thinking at least two in order to make the cab... three if I make a back?