Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Discharging my Wells Gardner Monitor  (Read 725 times)

trenish

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 21, 2023, 11:21:59 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
Discharging my Wells Gardner Monitor
« on: April 07, 2023, 10:34:23 pm »
Hey guys, total CRT noob here.  I followed the instructions found on various YouTube videos to discharge the monitor but got no pop.  I tried using the 2 huge brackets that protrude from the back of the monitor from top to bottom thinking they are a good ground point.  I also tried going to a wall outlet's ground pin, still nothing.  So I removed the anode cup from the tube without incident.  I followed the attempting grounding of both the cap and the exposed CRT hole once again and got nothing.

Being totally paranoid here with a question: am I good to go in safely removing the monitor?  I'm changing it out to an LCD because there's something about seeing CRT up close that causes me migraines :|

trenish

• Offline Offline
Re: Discharging my Wells Gardner Monitor
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2023, 10:35:48 pm »
FWIW, I'll be selling it as a local purchase (SF Bay Area) once it's out.  I don't want to make the attempt to ship it.  Again, maybe that's paranoia speaking...

buttersoft

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 13, 2024, 07:03:28 am
  • Is running at 15kHz
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2023, 03:29:25 am »
A newer CRT/chassis probably won't spark as it has a bleeder capacitor to take the charge off the tube. Even without one you won't always see a spark. Grounding to earth won't hurt, but you MUST ground the anode button to the chassis ground - that's what the potential difference is between.

I'd say you are fine with what you've done. But remember that each time you leave a CRT for an hour, you should discharge it again. An older tube will bleed charge from the glass for days. Not very much charge, but it's best to be safe.

Hey guys, total CRT noob here.  I followed the instructions found on various YouTube videos to discharge the monitor but got no pop.  I tried using the 2 huge brackets that protrude from the back of the monitor from top to bottom thinking they are a good ground point.  I also tried going to a wall outlet's ground pin, still nothing.  So I removed the anode cup from the tube without incident.  I followed the attempting grounding of both the cap and the exposed CRT hole once again and got nothing.

Being totally paranoid here with a question: am I good to go in safely removing the monitor?  I'm changing it out to an LCD because there's something about seeing CRT up close that causes me migraines :|

trenish

• Offline Offline
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2023, 03:32:07 pm »
Thank you so much for your feedback.  I'm happy to report that I'm not dead. 

Also, no spark as you indicated.  In other news, I incorrectly recalled the make of my monitor.  It is in fact a Neotec unit.  It was good, but I'm a huge fan of LCD.