Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: plexi glass from box stores for bezel covers  (Read 1618 times)

vertexguy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 20, 2024, 05:26:12 pm
  • ...but this one goes to 11.
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,161694.0.html
    • V E R T E X G U Y - The Online Portfolio of Chris Kline
plexi glass from box stores for bezel covers
« on: December 21, 2020, 04:05:51 pm »
Anyone have good results using plastic sheets from Home Depot or Lowes on builds?  I was looking at what is in stock here and saw this which is less than 20 bucks and might be good enough for the bezel cover.  I should be able to get away with a 20x30 sheet as a minimum size.  The only deterrent I can think of is if it's hard to cut or scratches easily.  For the moment I'm just trying to plan for a general thickness in my design to account for plexi or no plexi and work both ways with a serviceable bezel. Thoughts?

https://www.homedepot.com/p/OPTIX-20-in-x-32-in-Acrylic-Sheet-1AU0202A/100402509?source=shoppingads&locale=en-US&mtc=Shopping-B-F_D30-G-D30-30_23_GLASS_SCREEN-Generic-NA-Feed-LIA-NA-NA-&cm_mmc=Shopping-B-F_D30-G-D30-30_23_GLASS_SCREEN-Generic-NA-Feed-LIA-NA-NA--71700000044150121-58700004608004196-92700038790561205&gclid=CjwKCAiArIH_BRB2EiwALfbH1MqM98ieakXJWfhrk85diV3_39zAIlfIoqp-Y_wRwFivkwxok1KOOxoCLQkQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

BadMouth

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:April 22, 2024, 09:54:06 am
Re: plexi glass from box stores for bezel covers
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2020, 06:34:37 pm »
I used Optix on my old driving cab and a 3/4 scale cab with a wide bezel that supported it well.  I cut it on the table saw with a fine tooth blade.
It cuts fine as long as you don't stop long enough for it to heat up.
Lowe's would cut it to size for you last time I checked.

My current cab has thicker tinted plexi from the local glass shop. I don't know what material it is.
They cut it to size for me and it was fairly cheap because it was left over from some other job. 
I'm always surprised by how cheap the local glass shop is.  You should look into one in your area.

In my opinion, there are 2 main concerns:

1. Support - it doesn't work well if only supported on the edges unless it is perfectly vertical.  It can droop if leaned back at an angle.  Especially the thin stuff at the big box stores.  If it is also supported by wide rigid layer such as bezel art would be attached to, it is fine.  My current cab is only supported by 3/4" angle on the sides and bottom, but it is 1/4" thick and not leaned back too far.  The driving cab was the thin 0.093" stuff from Lowe's, but it was perfectly vertical.

2. Scratching - I use pledge multi-surface wipes about once a month.  I am careful to wipe across and not push the dust down against the surface.  After years of this, there is an even coat of super fine scratches that are only noticeable when holding a bright light up to the surface to look for them.  They aren't noticeable while playing or looking at the cab when turned off.

Not a definitive answer, but that is my experience with it.
My advice is to check with your local glass shop for a better and probably equally priced alternative.

vertexguy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 20, 2024, 05:26:12 pm
  • ...but this one goes to 11.
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,161694.0.html
    • V E R T E X G U Y - The Online Portfolio of Chris Kline
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2020, 06:47:08 pm »
@BadMouth  Thanks for the reply.  :cheers:  I hadn't considered drooping but that could definitely be an issue given my screen sits at a 20 degree angle from straight up and down.  I'm also hoping that the 3/16 hardboard stock I have will be strong enough yet thin enough for the main bezel shape that will be laminated and possibly have graphics on it.  Now that I think about drooping though... that stuff still bows in a not so short distance.  Maybe if I double layer it?  Maybe I need an alternative plan for that too...  What does everyone recommend?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2020, 07:44:35 pm by vertexguy »

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:46:43 pm
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2020, 09:58:12 am »
A router will cut through it like butter leaving a nice crisp edge so no worries getting it to the proper size.

yotsuya

• Trade Count: (+21)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 02:02:53 am
  • 2014 UCA Winner, 2014, 2015, 2016 ZapCon Winner
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,137636.msg1420628.html
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2020, 01:17:54 pm »
Go for it! It’s all I’ve ever used and haven’t had any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
***Build what you dig, bro. Build what you dig.***

romshark

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:October 16, 2023, 02:50:59 pm
  • Arcade and Robotics enthusiast
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2020, 06:54:35 pm »
I used plexi from Home Depot on my Half-Shell cabinet for my control panel covers and my monitor "glass". Everything still looks good to this day.

NuclearWarren

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:40:20 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2020, 04:47:56 pm »
I can recommend 1/8" tempered plate glass. Cheaper than plexi, won't scratch, looks great.
ws

javeryh

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 05:46:43 pm
« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2020, 07:25:24 pm »
I can recommend 1/8" tempered plate glass. Cheaper than plexi, won't scratch, looks great.
ws

Where do you get it for cheap?  My local glass places are ridiculously overpriced...

NuclearWarren

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 12:40:20 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2020, 11:37:27 am »
Frontier Auto and Plate glass around Buffalo NY here. I pay about $18 for ~25"x25" 1/8" plate glass, and $8 for ~25"x8" piece for marquees.

I'll admit the price does seem low!