Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: PSA: Edge(Chromium) browser is currently broken if you use google to search  (Read 1954 times)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 02, 2024, 04:09:27 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
So I wasted about two hours today trying to figure out why Edge closed itself when I started to type an address in the address bar.  Turns out last night's update put in a major bug where the auto suggestions of google search are crashing the browser.  The only reason I posted is I searched to see if anyone else was having an issue (ironically with google) and it came up empty, but I got a article about it in my apple news feed.  For now if you turn off auto-suggestion in the privacy settings in Edge that'll stop the crashing. 

Also yes, yes, you use firefox or whatever and it's better.... all I know is this is the first crash I've gotten in the new edge and it's way faster than other browsers so I like using it.  Feel free to keep using whatever browser you prefer as well. 

Osirus23

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
I like it. It's Chromium but without Google horse ---steaming pile of meadow muffin---, and all the extensions still work.

Drnick

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 06, 2023, 01:19:48 pm
  • Plodding Through Life
Thanks, Explains a call I had today :) I left my default search as Bing and just pull up google to search so didn't experience the issue myself, his search was set to google :)

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 02, 2024, 04:09:27 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
So apparently some idigt screwed up the scripting for google search.  Until they pull their heads out of their butts go to Settings>Privacy Services>Address Bar>Manage Search Engines  and add a search engine with the following settings:

Search Engine= Google (Fixed)
Keyword = www.google.com
URL = https://www.google.com/search?q=%s

Unfortunately you can't delete the original google and have it stick so leave that in place.  I'm sure they'll fix it eventually.