Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: PC Build for 640x480p and Software Questions  (Read 2387 times)

superbike81

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 16, 2024, 01:56:32 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
PC Build for 640x480p and Software Questions
« on: July 16, 2020, 04:20:32 pm »
I just bought a Sega Blast City with the Nanao Tri-Sync monitor (the manual switching one, not auto switching). I want simplcity out of this more than anything, so I'm going to install a PC into it and run something like Launchbox or Hyperspin. I want to be able to use MAME and other emulators for arcade type console games on it. To keep it simple, I'll probably just run everything in 31kHz (640x480) and then use MAME and Retroarch to add scanlines where appropriate.

I currently have a GroovyMAME PC setup connected to a 15kHz consumer CRT and it works great. PC is a i5-6600 and a Radeon 6000 series card, DVI to VGA to a component transcoder. I'm very happy with the setup, but I'm going to just go original hardware only on that TV and move this PC to the candy cab. I have a few questions, hoping someone can help answering one or more of them. Thanks! :)

1) Would running GroovyMAME and CRT Emudriver still be useful in a 31kHz setup? Super resolutions? 2560x480?

2) My monitor has a VGA input, I've read that the newest GPU with analog outputs (DVI-I) is the GTX 900 series. I'm looking at a 970, running emulators and maybe some PC games at 640x480, is there any reason to spend an extra $100 and get a 980Ti?

3) Will Windows 10 properly support 640x480 right out of the box? Or do I have to use CRT Emudriver?

4) I think I have everything figured out as far as hardware goes (J-PAC, DVI-VGA, etc) just need to figure out these little issues. Anything I need to think about?

Thanks!

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 02, 2024, 04:09:27 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
Re: PC Build for 640x480p and Software Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2020, 05:28:58 pm »
1.  If you want to run things at 640x480 probably not.  It's not going to hurt anything to keep using it though.

2.  You really don't need a fancy gpu unless you were wanting to run some really modern games or something.  Remember you are running at 640x480.... the lower the res the lower the resources it takes to run a game.  In general anyway.  If you've got something lying around throw it in there... you'll be surprised how much it can run. 

3.  Yeah kind of sort of.  If you have something to set the resolution to 640x480 (front end or whatever) windows 10 can handle it no problem.  You might get some complaints when booting up though.  See this thread (and pardon my grumpiness)  http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=158661.0

4.  You need to figure out what you are going to run specifically and build your pc specs around that.  Most "classic" mame games will run on practically anything but the newer 3d games in mame take a lot of resources.  As for third party emulators, some rely more on the graphics card than others.  Most  are more resources friendly than mame though believe it or not.  You won't be running a lot of console games on it because most console games don't translate well to arcade sticks and buttons, so get that idea out of your head. 

fallacy

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 15, 2024, 03:11:52 pm
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2020, 09:00:30 pm »
2) My monitor has a VGA input, I've read that the newest GPU with analog outputs (DVI-I) is the GTX 900 series. I'm looking at a 970, running emulators and maybe some PC games at 640x480, is there any reason to spend an extra $100 and get a 980Ti?

I don't think you even need a graphics card to run mame. As far as PC games I am sure a 970 could run anything  you would actually want to play on that thing. What you are supposed to is use your old PC when you upgrade as a mame machine to give it a second use and life.

superbike81

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:May 16, 2024, 01:56:32 am
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2020, 12:53:57 am »
The only reason I would like to run a decent GPU is so I can run some modern shmups and fighters from Steam and emulation of the same on some consoles.

Thanks for the info!

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:June 02, 2024, 04:09:27 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2020, 02:33:57 am »
Fighters and shmups don't require a super powerful pc, especially if you are running them at 640x480.  I'll say it a second time since you seemed to ignore it the first time... system resources required to run a game greatly depend upon the render resolution.  Assuming it meets basic requirements (shader compatibility, ect.) you could probably run many modern games with a 10 year old card.  Also there is the factor of the optimization of the image.  Modern games are meant to be ran at high resolution in 16:9... full stop.  Do some of them look ok?  Sure, but the majority are going to look like hot garbage on a 4:3 monitor that'll max out just a little over 640x480.  I'd be surprised if you can even read the in game text in most of them. 

I mean am I wrong?  I'm not super familiar with that monitor but I would think it would max out around SD resolution considering it's age.  If you want to run modern stuff that would require a modern video card then you'll also need a modern lcd monitor capable of at least 720p to go along with it.  If you stick with the tri-sync then anything that'll actually run at that low of a resolution and look acceptable isn't going to need a powerful gpu. 

Osirus23

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:August 23, 2021, 01:33:52 pm
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2020, 12:25:10 pm »
I wonder how well modern games even look at 640x480, if they even support it and how the UI would look if it worked. You might end up with a status bar taking up 2/3 of the screen.