Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up Try the site in https mode Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: How do I auto load a ROM with Sega Model 2 emulator?  (Read 4927 times)

Avenger

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:February 13, 2020, 10:43:21 pm
  • I want to build my own arcade controls!
How do I auto load a ROM with Sega Model 2 emulator?
« on: February 07, 2020, 08:52:52 pm »
Hello,

Does anyone know of either a shortcut argument or batch file line command to auto load a ROM with the Model 2 emulator?

I'm trying to create a shortcut where the game automatically runs rather then having to first open the emulator, click "emulator" > "Load ROM..." and then select it from the list.

Thank in advance.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 11:08:47 pm by Avenger »

Avenger

• Offline Offline
Re: How do I auto load a ROM with Sega Model 2 emulator?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2020, 11:07:27 pm »
I found the following thread but the suggestion doesn't seem to work. The emulator only loads by itself and you still have to select the ROM...

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=149717.0

Anyone have any ideas?

Cheers.

Avenger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2020, 09:15:56 pm »
No one? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
  • Last login:Yesterday at 02:42:27 am
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 02:14:11 am »
Did you try a simple .cmd file with the full path of your emulator exe, the exe name and the rom name, in sequence?
It's simple as that.

Avenger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 04:34:11 am »
Did you try a simple .cmd file with the full path of your emulator exe, the exe name and the rom name, in sequence?
It's simple as that.

Thanks for the reply.

I've tried several different combinations, no dice.

Emulator location:

C:\Users\XXX\Games\The House Of The Dead (1996)\Model 2 Emulator.exe

Emulator ROM:

C:\Users\XXX\Games\The House Of The Dead (1996)\ROMS\HOTD.zip

How do I format the .cmd file from the following example of the above locations?

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 03:17:53 pm »
First thing first: remove spaces in your folder names. Second: maybe it's a little old school, but keep folder names within the 8 characters lenght. The same for the exe: no spaces, 8 char.
Why you have model2 under "the house of the dead" folder? Call it "model2" instead... I can see a long way for you :D

Avenger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2020, 08:11:24 pm »
First thing first: remove spaces in your folder names. Second: maybe it's a little old school, but keep folder names within the 8 characters lenght. The same for the exe: no spaces, 8 char.
Why you have model2 under "the house of the dead" folder? Call it "model2" instead... I can see a long way for you :D

I didn't ask for critique on my folder structures. By the way, they work fine even with DOSBox which is far more "old school", so that's irrelevant...

I asked you to provide me with the format using the provided locations.

Howard_Casto

• Idiot Police
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:March 16, 2024, 05:59:16 pm
  • Your Post's Soul is MINE!!! .......Again??
    • The Dragon King
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2020, 11:29:11 pm »
Well he's 100% correct  in his attempts to narrow down the problem, so maybe don't get so snippy with him.   Folder structure matters, as does the name of the exe for many emulator applications, including model 2.  As a matter of fact, it's so picky that the best/easiest way to get things to behave is to rename the exe back to it's original name (emulator.exe or emulator_multicpu.exe) and put the game roms in zip format in the roms folder included with the emulator... not in a separate directory somewhere else.  You then launch the games with the rom name, no extension and no path, just like you do with mame. 

So it'll be something like:

emulator.exe Daytona

And that's it. 

You can add paths via uncommenting "Dir1" in the emulator.ini, but it seems to have issues with long paths with a lot of sub directories, spaces and the like... or at least I sometimes run into problems I can't track down related to a particular path name.  It's best just to do it as described above.

Avenger

• Offline Offline
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2020, 10:43:21 pm »
Well he's 100% correct  in his attempts to narrow down the problem, so maybe don't get so snippy with him.   Folder structure matters, as does the name of the exe for many emulator applications, including model 2.  As a matter of fact, it's so picky that the best/easiest way to get things to behave is to rename the exe back to it's original name (emulator.exe or emulator_multicpu.exe) and put the game roms in zip format in the roms folder included with the emulator... not in a separate directory somewhere else.  You then launch the games with the rom name, no extension and no path, just like you do with mame. 

So it'll be something like:

emulator.exe Daytona

And that's it. 

You can add paths via uncommenting "Dir1" in the emulator.ini, but it seems to have issues with long paths with a lot of sub directories, spaces and the like... or at least I sometimes run into problems I can't track down related to a particular path name.  It's best just to do it as described above.

Thank for the reply.

Don't worry about it.

I got the original game executable working WITH music which as much of a pain in the ass as it was, didn't require me to completely change the organization of my folders just to run an emulator.

baritonomarchetto

• Offline Offline
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2020, 01:28:37 am »
Thank you for sharing your solution then...