Main Restorations Software Audio/Jukebox/MP3 Everything Else Buy/Sell/Trade
Project Announcements Monitor/Video GroovyMAME Merit/JVL Touchscreen Meet Up Retail Vendors
Driving & Racing Woodworking Software Support Forums Consoles Project Arcade Reviews
Automated Projects Artwork Frontend Support Forums Pinball Forum Discussion Old Boards
Raspberry Pi & Dev Board controls.dat Linux Miscellaneous Arcade Wiki Discussion Old Archives
Lightguns Arcade1Up --- Bug Reports --- Site News

Unread posts | New Replies | Recent posts | Rules | Chatroom | Wiki | File Repository | RSS | Submit news

Author Topic: Collaborative effort for GroovyArcade  (Read 16153 times)

Substring

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Online Online
  • Last login:Today at 05:39:16 am
  • Forking GroovyArcade
    • forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php/topic,160023.0.html
    • GroovyArcade active fork
Re: Collaborative effort for GroovyArcade
« Reply #200 on: September 12, 2020, 02:08:48 pm »
So the fix is in 2 steps :
- run the command but point to ~/.config/openbox/lxde-rc.xml
- edit ~/.xinitrc and change the openbox etc... Lone by pointing to the same file as above (keep the & at the end)

Just tried this before leaving home, replying on my phone in a bar  :cheers:
GroovyMAME / GroovyArcade discord: https://discord.gg/YtQ6pJh
GroovyArcade doc: https://gitlab.com/groovyarcade/support/-/wikis/home

Jimbo

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Offline Offline
  • Last login:Today at 04:35:42 am
  • I have no idea what I'm doing.
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #201 on: September 12, 2020, 02:25:40 pm »
That worked mate! :)

I *think* the problem before was that I didn't have that lxde-rc.xml file.  After I entered the desktop though, it looks like maybe that created it (?).  Up until this point, I never once even entered the desktop after installing GA.

But my crisis is averted - thanks again!  Enjoy your drink!   :cheers:

Substring

• Online Online
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #202 on: September 12, 2020, 02:50:52 pm »
Thanks for confirming it the fix ! That's also part of the "collaborative" side of GA :)

I'll fix that in the package. But regarding the iso, it's still much work, and I don't have time for that yet ... Will really do my best tontelease a new iso when I have time

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #203 on: September 12, 2020, 04:31:11 pm »
Hey don't rush, you already did a stellar job.   :applaud:

I have one other issue that's just arose.  I reprogrammed the J-PAC to remove the shift functionality on the START1 button.  This has worked, but now it seems when GA boots, the image on my 15Khz CRT is out of sync.  AM loads fine, but you can't really see it.  If you then start MAME, screen is perfect, it sets the correct resolution.  When you exit MAME back to AM... out of sync again.  I don't know what's happened - maybe something has reset when I reprogrammed the J-PAC.

However - maybe others have similar generic issue where this happens - can you offer advice on the best way to get either 640x480 interlaced, or (in my case) 640x240 progressive back as the starting resolution when GA boots up, after the resolution has somehow got messed up?

What is the general way of fixing this?  You have to also plug in an LCD in the DVI port and use GASetup? Or can I SSH to set the resolution in a config file?

Thanks!

Substring

• Online Online
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #204 on: September 13, 2020, 04:34:13 am »
In gasetup (the text menu), you can go to setup > video > video boot options, (not sure of the exact name). There you can select a new resolution. gasetup can be run through SSH (you need sudo)/ The other way round is to edit as root /boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg and set the resolution in the video=<connector>:xxxxxxx. Resolutions can be 640x480iS, 640x240S, even 1280x480iS which offers an intereting visibility. There is a bug (fixed on my side, not pushed yet) in the video boot menu : if you cancel, the resolution is "erased" from the kernel command line parameter, so you should set one again. Will push the fix soon through a usual update.

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #205 on: September 13, 2020, 05:21:20 am »
Thanks - ah great that gasetup can be run through ssh!

Yes I have experienced that bug a few times  :laugh2:

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #206 on: September 15, 2020, 03:16:01 pm »
If I go into gasetup via ssh (sudo'd), as soon as I select "Video Resolution" from the menus, gasetup exits immediately back to command prompt.

Here is my /boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg : -

Code: [Select]
default arch
timeout 0
prompt 0
#UI vesamenu.c32
menu title Groovy Arcade Linux
menu background GA.png
label arch
menu label GroovyArcade
linux ../vmlinuz-linux-15khz
append root=/dev/disk/by-label/GA rw quiet rd.udev.log-priority=3 splash mitigations=off audit=0 monitor=generic_15 video=VGA-1:e
initrd ../initramfs-linux-15khz.img

If I edit the video=VGA_1:e and instead put video=VGA_1:640x240S then the OS doesn't seem to boot up.  I get a black screen and no audio.  Not a complete crash though as I can still SSH in.

Same if I change to video=VGA_1:640x480iS

:(

Any ideas?  I'm pretty sure I didn't do anything to set/change resolutions - in fact I don't even recall going into gasetup before this happened - all I did was unplug the J-PAC, reprogrammed the shift key, and plugged it back in (jumpers untouched).  The update to the J-PAC has worked fine as I can load MAME from a garbled/out-of-sync AM and get the proper game resolutions.

Substring

• Online Online
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #207 on: September 15, 2020, 04:00:14 pm »
The line should be :

append root=/dev/disk/by-label/GA rw quiet rd.udev.log-priority=3 splash mitigations=off audit=0 monitor=generic_15 video=VGA-1:640x240S

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #208 on: September 15, 2020, 04:21:15 pm »
Yes that's what I changed it to.  After rebooting with this I get the black screen with no sound.

(edit: sorry just noticed VGA_1 typo in previous post)

To confirm, this happens to me with either "video=VGA-1:640x240S" or "video=VGA-1:640x480iS"

edit again:   when gasetup crashes/exits, I can see a bunch of lines of text fly by briefly in the terminal.  I don't know if they are errors but they're too quick to read and are then gone.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2020, 04:25:54 pm by Jimbo »

Substring

• Online Online
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #209 on: September 15, 2020, 04:44:42 pm »
Time for some news !

As already said, the tools required to build the iso have evolved. I used to patch them (mostly to handle a different kernel name), this will take me some time to adapt, so no new iso for NOW

BUT !

GroovyArcade is modular, and since GroovyArcade is using the default package manager, some parts can be updated one by one, even through a full sytem upgrade. So here are some news :
- I always make full updates of my test box . So don't be scared to go pacman -Syu. You may face some conflicts (like fonts for the graphics server) : not a problem, accept.
- I finally made a package of the GroovyArcade boot screen ! Just go pacman -Sy plymouth-theme-groovy then sudo plymouth-set-default-theme -R groovy. This way, updating plymouth won't restore the default boot screen
- gasetup : the bug when skipping the video boot resolution should be fixed by now
- galauncher : someone asked me to put the CPU governor in peformance mode when starting groovymame for better frame delay. Server !
- groovyarcade-config : you may have some trouble updating it. I can't test it sadly, but pacman -Sy groovyarcade-config --overwrite /home/arcade/.xinitrc. As a general rule, i strongly recommend you don't edit that file as it may get new updates that would erase your customizations. If required, I'll add a "user" .xinitrc file that can be freely edited and that would be called by the real file.
- groovymame 224 is a little late ;) Talking about that, it's a good idea to also update groovymame-config at the same time. This way, history.dat and mameinfo.dat files are also updated

That's it for now :)

Substring

• Online Online
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #210 on: September 15, 2020, 04:45:26 pm »
Yes that's what I changed it to.  After rebooting with this I get the black screen with no sound.

(edit: sorry just noticed VGA_1 typo in previous post)

To confirm, this happens to me with either "video=VGA-1:640x240S" or "video=VGA-1:640x480iS"

edit again:   when gasetup crashes/exits, I can see a bunch of lines of text fly by briefly in the terminal.  I don't know if they are errors but they're too quick to read and are then gone.

Then video=VGA-1:640x240eS maybe ? Can't know if the connector needs to be forced to on

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #211 on: September 16, 2020, 06:35:11 am »
Then video=VGA-1:640x240eS maybe ? Can't know if the connector needs to be forced to on

OK - I have got it working.  I'm still not sure I fully understand what was the problem, but I had to do the following to fix it: -

First I tried video=VGA-1:640x240eS to no avail - still failed to boot.  Then I checked the gasetup source and saw that the regex looks for the entire resolution including the [iS] together, so I moved the "e" to the end as the code looked like it would parse that no problem:   video=VGA-1:640x240Se .

On a reboot AM loaded up garbled/out-of-sync again.  I ssh'd in and ran sudo gasetup. This time I was able to enter the Video Resolution selector screen, and pick "640x240S".  As soon as I picked this/pressed OK, gasetup quit immediately back to terminal.

tailing groovy.log and I saw this: -
2020-09-16 18:01:49 - main(140): ################## START OF INSTALLATION ################## -
2020-09-16 18:01:49 - start_process(51): *** Executing worker configure -
2020-09-16 18:01:52 - mainmenu(101): *** Executing worker setup_menu -
2020-09-16 18:01:55 - worker_setup_menu(239): *** Executing worker video_menu -
2020-09-16 18:01:56 - worker_video_menu(37): *** Executing worker kernel_video_boot -
2020-09-16 18:02:11 - main(144): -------------- STOPPING INSTALLATION ---------- -

Upon reboot, everything back to normal and working!

So I'm glad it's working of course, but I'm not sure why the problem existed in the first place, and why gasetup was exiting back to terminal.

So if you want me to run any more tests let me know, it's no problem.

And thanks for your previous post about the updates!  :cheers:

Substring

• Online Online
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #212 on: September 16, 2020, 07:19:56 am »
First question : have you updated gasetup ? The crash is supposed to be fixed, but maybe I'm missing a test case. Crashes are not reported in the log sadly. As you had posted your syslinux.cfg, I will test it to see what I'm missing.

Hard to understand why it works now, can you post your definitive syslinux.cfg ?

Now, just for a reminder : you should get your resolution way before AM loads. The kernel will switxh to it very early in the boot process, it's hardly a few seconds after syslinux has loaded the kernel into memory, meaning the plymouth boot screen is immediately in the final resolution.

Glad it works on your side, i'm unhappy (with myself) that gasetup is failing too often.

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #213 on: September 16, 2020, 08:14:06 am »
Hey Substring

I'm running the 2020.06 iso, have not done any updates yet.  I'll fire it up in a while and post the definitive syslinux.cfg.

Yeah I can tell as soon as bootup starts whether it'll work or not as its subtly different, and of course the GA splash screen is either visible or garbled.

Don't worry about things failing... it's part of the process of success :)

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #214 on: September 16, 2020, 10:22:54 am »
Here's the syslinux.cfg: -
default arch
timeout 0
prompt 0
#UI vesamenu.c32
menu title Groovy Arcade Linux
menu background GA.png
label arch
menu label GroovyArcade
linux ../vmlinuz-linux-15khz
append root=/dev/disk/by-label/GA rw quiet rd.udev.log-priority=3 splash mitigations=off audit=0 monitor=generic_15 video=VGA-1:640x240Se
initrd ../initramfs-linux-15khz.img

I remembered something else I did before hand.  When trying to solve the virtual desktop keyboard shortcut issue, I went into the desktop to look if there were any related settings.   As part of this, I couldn't see all dialogs in 640x240 progressive, so within the desktop preferences I changed resolution to 640x480.  Do you think this might have something to do with it, and somewhere along the lines something got confused with conflicting resolutions?

Jimbo

• Offline Offline
    • Wood Finishes Direct
« Reply #215 on: September 16, 2020, 10:59:10 am »
I also made a simple attractmode layout because I couldn't find a simple one I liked from the ones included.

It works great with 640x240, probably fine with other resolutions too.

It just uses 1 font, 100% free from dafont.com.  If you want to include it in the next ISO be my guest...

Simple GameRoom AttractMode Layout

Substring

• Online Online
  • Forking GroovyArcade
« Reply #216 on: September 16, 2020, 03:48:17 pm »
Nice theme, i'll make a package of it ^^

for resolutions : there is a PAL  progressive resolution available if you feel like having AM at 50Hz hehehe So the vertical resolution is slightly higher, that's the best progressive resolution you can get.